Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because making fun of this trainwreck is legitimately fun, in much the same way that poo poo-talking a bad movie is. It's also interesting to see people who have some technical knowledge of why the systems are bad chime in and explain why that thing that felt bad to you felt that way. The dogshit dialog camera and facial animations, for example.

Frankly this thread is justifying my purchase far more than the game ever did. I'm absolutely getting hours of entertainment dissecting this turd and discussing it with people in here. I wouldn't even think about reinstalling Starfield and there's no way in hell I'm ponying up for the DLC whenever that drops, but standing in a circle with a bunch of goons and kicking this dead horse sure is fun.

I just bought this videogame and your post makes me mad, how can I frame you as being morally wrong for mocking it? I am very online and this is all I know, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

how can I frame you as being morally wrong for mocking it?

The easiest is just to start from the obvious assumption that you are morally right, therefor their mocking this game, a game which you like and so is therefor morally right, that the poster is mocking the very essences of all that is good in this world. And obviously since Starfield is so morally good and thus perfect, their mocking must come from a place of jealous, and hatred of all that is good as why else would they be mocking it? Therefor making the poster literally the devil.

The good thing about this argument is it is super re-useable just for whatever, so have fun with it!!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I won’t mock the game, the parts where it’s poorly done aren’t poorly done in a funny way just in a sad “man that must’ve been a rough 8 years” way

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I won’t mock the game, the parts where it’s poorly done aren’t poorly done in a funny way just in a sad “man that must’ve been a rough 8 years” way

Yeah I keep playing the game, I think I'm just stubbornly determined to like it, but there's something about this game that's just depressing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
it's also funny to pretend people are spending all their time doing this when this very thread just died for a month+ because nobody was talking about it

it's almost like people are participating in a discussion because other people are saying things or something, not going around the internet actively looking for starfield things to keep complaining about

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tiny Timbs posted:

That guy I mentioned earlier, Kurt Kuhlmann, was credited as "Lead Systems Designer" of Starfield. He quit (asked to quit? Who knows!) After Starfield.

His LinkedIn says that as of a month ago he became lead world designer at Lightspeed LA, which google says is "the first North American AAA game development studio under Tencent's Lightspeed and Quantum Studio Group".

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Kurt was also one of the old hat lore guys at the studio, and has extremely deep technical know how in the dev tools.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also you don’t have direct input on the actual interior layout of your ship at all so doors can easily end up in weird places. Also if you change anything on your ship all your poo poo goes to the cargo hold so gently caress you if you want to customize the interior, when you change guns it’s all going away anyway.

Lol is that still not fixed? That was the first huge complaint I had.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

dogstile posted:

Lol is that still not fixed? That was the first huge complaint I had.

It's not just the ship builder either. If you do any of the mission board missions that involve an NPC ship, they're generated dynamically, and they all have the same issue with utterly incoherent internal layouts.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The discussion in this thread, before the game released was a lot more silly/fun. Now, faced with undeniable reality, it is sobering. This thread, like all things, is worse for having touched the starfield

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm still mad about piracy. They make a pirate faction. They add smuggling containers for illegal goods. They tutorialize how to commandeer a ship when you first board one. Then they make it a bounty of 11 gorillion dollars for all the individual murders if you do take over a ship despite no surviving witnesses, make it basically impossible to actually evade security making you KOS everywhere, stealing the ship still requires registration so you only make like 2000 bucks, and you make basically the exact same amount of profit and less bounty if you just blow the ship up in the first place. Also using stolen ships risks a game bricking bug, and you for some reason always need to be able to fit literally everything you own on every ship you pilot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For a game that never seems to tell a player no, even when it should, they definitely said no to just taking a cool and powerful ship. There's also the way they gate the piloting of the thing, even if it's a legitimately hostile ship you've gone through the trouble of capturing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

It's not just the ship builder either. If you do any of the mission board missions that involve an NPC ship, they're generated dynamically, and they all have the same issue with utterly incoherent internal layouts.

It makes trying to take over some ships frustrating, too. There was always one guy in some corner of a ship where I’d have to like go up two floors, go down one floor of a ladder, go down a hallway, then go down another ladder to find the motherfucker.

And then you have to sweep that labyrinth for contraband if you want to take it anywhere.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

...and another thing!

The "cool ships you have nothing to do with" conversation reminded me of last night where I did some side quest for a group of LIST colonists where you kill off the local spacers and take out their base, an "old" space station. At the end I was thinking it would have been cool/smart if the colonists were talking about taking over the place for themselves and now I'm wondering why I can't do something like that, in this game. Build or buy a space station that you put into orbit wherever. Imagine your base building skill tree went up into space station engineering and you could have a sweet orbiting base with your various ships docked.

sigh

edit PC masterrace
VVVV

Barometer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 29, 2024

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There's a mod for that!

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/6099

And it hasn't been touched since October lol

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because making fun of this trainwreck is legitimately fun, in much the same way that poo poo-talking a bad movie is. It's also interesting to see people who have some technical knowledge of why the systems are bad chime in and explain why that thing that felt bad to you felt that way. The dogshit dialog camera and facial animations, for example.

Frankly this thread is justifying my purchase far more than the game ever did. I'm absolutely getting hours of entertainment dissecting this turd and discussing it with people in here. I wouldn't even think about reinstalling Starfield and there's no way in hell I'm ponying up for the DLC whenever that drops, but standing in a circle with a bunch of goons and kicking this dead horse sure is fun.

My wife said that I should have given half that $70 to Something Awful for the amount of enjoyment I've gotten from this thread compared to Starfield. It's not quite the Dexter hate watch of gaming, but its the best comparison I can find. I get that having everyone tell the Lord's truth poo poo on a game you like sucks, but no shame on people enjoying it. I got my money's worth, but it was like 200 mediocre hours vs. Alan Wake 2 that gave me like 40 to 60 incredible hours. But after playing Cyberpunk 2044 it's kinda hard to call this game anything but uninspired and aggressively mediocre. Against any of it's peers, be it budget or scope, Starfield measures up like someone you would be let down to meet if transformed into a person.

George Sex - REAL posted:

The discussion in this thread, before the game released was a lot more silly/fun. Now, faced with undeniable reality, it is sobering. This thread, like all things, is worse for having touched the starfield

Comments like this and the one about how sigma gamers roll around in the slop are more memorable than anything in Starfield.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cycle is usually bethesda game comes out > everyone posts that it sucks > people eventually begrudgingly admit its good. ive never seen them put out something as shoddy as starfield and i hated oblivion

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Al! posted:

cycle is usually bethesda game comes out > everyone posts that it sucks > people eventually begrudgingly admit its good. ive never seen them put out something as shoddy as starfield and i hated oblivion

When did people decide F4 was good?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Flowing Thot posted:

My friends and I had these kinds of talks about Fallout 4's narrative and the implausibly of the setting. With Starfield it's drat near everything.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
fallout 4 was more fun than fallout 3

fallout 3 was too gray and i still hate navigating the subways

i remember really, really liking new vegas but when i went back to play it was too brown and there's only like 6 songs

big iron is great, but that's all i heard

now that I think about it, my FO4s always had the mod for darkstar radio

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtGL9llZHqhEQ39mXtAQTK2fdxddP9kqQ

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flowing Thot posted:

A lot of people still really dislike fallout 4 for good reasons, but there is a lot to like about it as well. If you stay away from the main story there is fun to be had, particular with mods. Far Harbor was also great DLC and is really what all of fallout 4 should of been like.

One of the big differences is the would map in fallout 4 was really interesting, detailed, and varied, and particular the first time playing it was a lot of fun just wandering off in random directions and finding interesting stuff everywhere. There was also stuff like the glowing sea, which was seemed to literally be off the map and just this wild unknown wasteland to explore. It actually felt like finding something new. While there were a lot of bad design decisions made with fallout 4 particular narrative and dialogue wise, there was good ones as well.

Even the change to the skill/perks systems was an interesting choice. Don't think it was better the New Vegas, but it did allow you to create unique builds at least (although more so at the start of a game, obviously the more you played on just one character the more the ended up just being good at everything. That was more a not having a level cap thing, than a fundamental of the skill tree that put in)

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 1, 2024

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i still can't believe starfield made it a minigame to NOT pick up junk vs. fallout4 where every junk had a purpose

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I enjoyed the hell out of F4, a lot of the crappy things about it (for me) weren't things that mattered as far as being able to run around and do poo poo. The story was the worst part of it, but I loved building outposts. I loved roaming the city and searching out all the spots on the map. Nothing in Starfield is really like that, what with the points of interest all being so common that after a while you can see what it is from a distance and decide if you want to bother looting it or not.

Even lockpicking has changed to the point that it's "do I want to spend the time" not "I hope there's something cool in here".

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Barometer posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of F4, a lot of the crappy things about it (for me) weren't things that mattered as far as being able to run around and do poo poo. The story was the worst part of it, but I loved building outposts. I loved roaming the city and searching out all the spots on the map. Nothing in Starfield is really like that, what with the points of interest all being so common that after a while you can see what it is from a distance and decide if you want to bother looting it or not.

Same. If you stay away from the main story, there is fun to be had.

edit: Although I'm one of the wierdos who liked Cyberpunk 2077 at release, so my tastes may be questionable.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 1, 2024

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cyberpunk at release had its flaws but it was absolutely a much more put together game than FO4 ever was or Starfield ever will be.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Which is worse: Starfield or The Outer Worlds?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Outer Worlds kept my interest longer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They're both bad but the level of investment by the devs isn't the same. A lovely house that falls down isn't as spectacular of a failure as Chernobyl.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Did people not like Outer Worlds? I thought the biggest criticism of it was that it was obviously not made with a large budget.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Punished Ape posted:

Did people not like Outer Worlds? I thought the biggest criticism of it was that it was obviously not made with a large budget.

It was weak in areas and a bit cringe in places but I enjoyed it. That final DLC was loving lit.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

It was weak in areas and a bit cringe in places but I enjoyed it. That final DLC was loving lit.

The final DLC felt like they'd finally found their footing on what the setting should be in terms of tone. Hopefully it carries over to Outer Worlds 2.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This all does bring up a good point - with a lot of games that have gotten better with time, either from first party patches or third party mods, there's an "anchor" or something about the game that's solid enough to build everything else around. With Cyberpunk the anchor was the pulpy paperback story and detailed world, the technology was broken and the gameplay was botched but years of relentless patching have improved things so the blockbuster setting can shine. With Fallout 4 the anchor was the exploration, immersion and settlements, the main plot was a tire fire but with enough mods you could have something heavily leaning on survival, scavenging and building. What's the anchor for Starfield? What do you keep and build around?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

MH Knights posted:

Which is worse: Starfield or The Outer Worlds?

Starfield is better only because it didn't try to say anything important, rather than trying and utterly failing like Outer Worlds lol

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Fallout 4 was good especially if you ever played the survival mode (I know this was added later). Settlements mattered and building them up as places to resupply and rest, not to mention producing rare resources to easily to make top notch drugs make the game feel alive. I feel like a lot of people who played it never even noticed the scavenger bench existed hence looting clipboards and poo poo. No, your settlements gather that stuff for you! Starfield loving sucks in every aspect compared to fallout 4, you can't even teleport through cover to melee someone in vats for gently caress's sake.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 1, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Starfield: at least it's not Anthem (maybe).

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Fallout 4 was good especially if you ever played the survival mode (I know this was added later). Settlements mattered and building them up as places to resupply and rest, not to mention producing rare resources to easily to make top notch drugs make the game feel alive. I feel like a lot of people who played it never even noticed the scavenger bench existed hence looting clipboards and poo poo. No, your settlements gather that stuff for you! Starfield loving sucks in every aspect compared to fallout 4, you can't even teleport through cover to melee someone in vats for gently caress's sake.

The settlement system really broke down for me in survival mode where it became much easier to have settlements with no settlers and nothing built other than purified water which I sell and buy the things I actually need like ammo and junk. Having no settlers mean your settlements will never be attacked. Going all the way to the other end of a map to defend a settlement when you can't fast travel is awful.

As far as linked resources go Bethesda solved that for me without the need to use supply lines. The VR workshop Creation Club item let's you build VR pods and you can go into a special virtual reality version of settlements. I would build a bunch of these pods are various settlements then set them all to go to the Gridworld VR. The VR pods were all over the map, but there is only one Gridworld so you can put all your junk and ammo and guns and crafting benches and so on in one virtual world so you can access your entire home base inventory from any settlement.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Will die on the hill that The Outer Worlds is leagues better than Starfield since it's an actual finished product rather than 5 disparate development streams clumsily welded together.

It clearly took around 1/10 the work-hours of Starfield, if that. I was playing Assassins Creed: Valhalla recently and I've decided the most important job in the industry is a project manager. As much as people complain those games are repetitive gruel the thing is built like a brick shithouse, everything fits together and there's masses of it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Outer Worlds is aggressively mid, but still enjoyable and yes, better than Starfield. I am actually cautiously looking forward to OW2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even throwaway side characters in Outer Worlds had more character in their writing than the full on companions in Starfield. The dialogue in Starfield is so utilitarian that ironically the only character that doesnt feel incredibly “beep boop I am a robot” is Vasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Outer Worlds is a modest product that doesn't pretend to be anything else. Yeah everyone has basically the same face, the maps are hilariously small, and the anticapitalist sentiment is really shallow, but doggone it they succeeded in doing what they set out to, and made a fun game while they did.