Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I thought seeing grace was seeing the guidance from your sites of grace. Or: you not only don’t see that guidance, you also don’t see the site of grace anymore.

Not seeing tue tree means you literally don’t have a light source in your world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My first play through (did not finish ) I thought Fia was just a weird throw away troll character

Ho boy I was wrong

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

My first play through (did not finish ) I thought Fia was just a weird throw away troll character

Ho boy I was wrong

I assumed all the people in the intro would be story bosses akin to the lords in Dark Souls so I was super confused Fia was just that lady.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I thought she was sweet and I appreciated her hugs :colbert:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
grace is stored in the (eye)balls

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ahhhh gently caress it I’ll make a new character for the dlc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Godfrey is just about the coolest poo poo they've ever done. Both his cutscenes are the hypest poo poo I didn't think I could get as amped as I was that late in the game. And what a loving fight.

It's basically tied with blood Mohg as my favorite fight and among my favorite in the entire series. I think it would be a clear number one but the curse of that arena seems to be the bosses who call it home are missing a bunch of max health

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IIRC, in the disc release of the game, so 1.00, base base game, Godfrey does indeed have two full health bars for each phase. Why they changed it is beyond me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Gologle posted:

IIRC, in the disc release of the game, so 1.00, base base game, Godfrey does indeed have two full health bars for each phase. Why they changed it is beyond me.

Because if you faced him at full power, no player Tarnished would ever become Elden Lord.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao imagining the foolish ambition required to think you could ever stand a chance against HOARAH LOUX WARRIOR with an entire health bar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm it used to be that you could possibly beat the grafted scion at the beginning, but now if you survive too long it just fades to black

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
No, you can beat it. But you HAVE to fall off the edge after you do.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
there is a hoarah loux mod out there somewhere which makes him just absolutely insane i wish i could loving find the video

he never stops attacking drat near every attack has a shockwave effect its much more accurate to what he is supposed to be imo

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 1, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

verbal enema posted:

there is a hoarah loux mod out there somewhere which makes him just absolutely insane i wish i could loving find the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPSlBWDi8w

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My take (not unique at all): At some point in the recent past many (all?) tarnished suddenly began to see the guidance of grace once more after decades, or perhaps generations, of bring abandoned by the Greater Will. The Greater Will bestowed the guidance of grace on every Tarnished it thought might be able to fix the Elden Ring. As time went on, it began taking the guidance away from people one by one as it narrowed down the list of people most likely to get the job done. By the start of the game, the only people who can still see the guidance of grace are the ones mentioned in the intro.

*You, the Tarnished of No Renown. We know you can see the guidance of grace because, well, you can.

*Hoarah Loux. We know he can see the guidance of grace because we can see his in his intro cutscene. You and him are the last to see it. The Greater Will can’t decide which of you is most likely to mend the rune, so it uses the guidance to lead you and him into a battle to the death to settle the matter.

*Goldmask, Fia, and Dung Eater. We know they have the potential to mend the Elden Ring because they are the ones who, with your help, can create mending runes. They have so much willpower and such strong belief in their respective visions of how the world should work that they can bring a new rune into existence to reinforce the Elden Ring, that has to count for something! However, I imagine that by the end of the game they will have lost the guidance of grace, particularly at the moment when they create their mending rune. All of these people have some sort of beef with the Greater Will, and thus the Greater Will is incentivized to string them along until they make their mending rune and then ditch them in favor of someone else who can use the mending rune but may not be as hostile toward the Greater Will, i.e. you.

*Sir Gideon Offnir. I think this explains a lot of his motivation. He’s an egotist who sees the guidance of grace, and his ability to see it, as confirmation that he will someday be the greatest and smartest and most specialest of all tarnished. He raises Nepheli Loux because she can see it and being the father of the most specialest tarnished is his backup plan. When she stops being able to see it, he drops her like a hot potato. He stops seeing the guidance of grace when you get Destined Death. The confrontation with him in the ashen capital is basically him saying “If I’m not fit to be the next elden lord, nobody is. Certainly not you!”

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Def should have parried that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ariong posted:

My take (not unique at all): At some point in the recent past many (all?) tarnished suddenly began to see the guidance of grace once more after decades, or perhaps generations, of bring abandoned by the Greater Will. The Greater Will bestowed the guidance of grace on every Tarnished it thought might be able to fix the Elden Ring. As time went on, it began taking the guidance away from people one by one as it narrowed down the list of people most likely to get the job done. By the start of the game, the only people who can still see the guidance of grace are the ones mentioned in the intro.

*You, the Tarnished of No Renown. We know you can see the guidance of grace because, well, you can.

*Hoarah Loux. We know he can see the guidance of grace because we can see his in his intro cutscene. You and him are the last to see it. The Greater Will can’t decide which of you is most likely to mend the rune, so it uses the guidance to lead you and him into a battle to the death to settle the matter.

*Goldmask, Fia, and Dung Eater. We know they have the potential to mend the Elden Ring because they are the ones who, with your help, can create mending runes. They have so much willpower and such strong belief in their respective visions of how the world should work that they can bring a new rune into existence to reinforce the Elden Ring, that has to count for something! However, I imagine that by the end of the game they will have lost the guidance of grace, particularly at the moment when they create their mending rune. All of these people have some sort of beef with the Greater Will, and thus the Greater Will is incentivized to string them along until they make their mending rune and then ditch them in favor of someone else who can use the mending rune but may not be as hostile toward the Greater Will, i.e. you.

*Sir Gideon Offnir. I think this explains a lot of his motivation. He’s an egotist who sees the guidance of grace, and his ability to see it, as confirmation that he will someday be the greatest and smartest and most specialest of all tarnished. He raises Nepheli Loux because she can see it and being the father of the most specialest tarnished is his backup plan. When she stops being able to see it, he drops her like a hot potato. He stops seeing the guidance of grace when you get Destined Death. The confrontation with him in the ashen capital is basically him saying “If I’m not fit to be the next elden lord, nobody is. Certainly not you!”

sounds about right

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BTW If that theory about Gideon is true then it points to a masterfully crafted bit of dramatic irony:

Throughout the entire game, Gideon believes you are a stooge that the Greater Will is stringing along with the promise of the title of elden lord for as long as it takes you to help him reach the throne. In the end he dies because he cannot accept that the opposite was true. He was the stooge the Greater Will was stringing along until you got to the throne.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i do think at least the tarnished that show up in the hub also see the guidance of grace, at least at first

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want to take my knight & faith build (broadsword and shield + partizan, currently using flame art affinity) to endgame in preparation for the DLC. Unfortunately, I just realized that lightning affinity is associated with dex in this game, not faith, leading me to anticipate issues once I reach Mt. Gelmir, and especially when I'll be facing the Fire Giant and Mogh. Any advice towards making this build more flexible without losing the theme entirely? I'm currently thinking of respeccing towards primary strength with faith just for buffs.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ariong posted:

Yeah this tracks except for a bit on the Gideon thing. It's theorized that his confrontation was due uncovering(or being given by the Greater Will)some vision of Marika's plan that mindbreaks him. It's why he's insanely weak to Frenzy attacks even moreso than most others.

quote:

Armour set with countless eyes and ears.
Worn by Gideon Ofnir, the All-Knowing.

Knowledge begins with the recognition of one's ignorance. The realization that the search for knowledge is unending. But when Gideon glimpsed into the will of Queen Marika, he shuddered in fear.

At the end that should not be.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 1, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I love Gideon's introduction. How many people just take it at face value that he's the "leader" of the roundtable, or somehow "in charge". :allears:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Well he’s got his own big room with a fireplace and stuff while everyone else sits in the halls…

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

War Wizard posted:

I love Gideon's introduction. How many people just take it at face value that he's the "leader" of the roundtable, or somehow "in charge". :allears:

To be fair he kind of is since he's essentially the last man standing and the only one seemingly making any effort to take the throne.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

how does this not have YOU DIED at the end

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Mad Tongue Alberich is the true lord of Roundtable Hold :colbert:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I always figured Godfrey was in on whatever Marika had in mind and was content to watch from the shadows while everything played out until the Erdtree was open and the Elden Beast was finally vulnerable. I never got the impression that he was the manipulative sort, or that he was some fake glory-hound type like his descendant - he's clearly an extremely capable warrior and loving loves fighting so he probably wasn't just sitting on his laurels the whole time. Him showing up when and where he does feels like a very deliberate decision on his part - like he's already there when you get back to the throne, he's ahead of you, he could have gone for the win at any time and probably would have succeeded too but he decides to throw down with you instead. Its like his way of going "buddy, you better be absolutely fuckin ready for this next part if you're really serious about this" Either you beat him, in which case you are probably in fact a bad enough dude to become the next Elden Lord, or he beats you and finishes cleaning up this mess himself.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m sure this is not supported by The Lore or whatever, but I always imagined it as Gideon being stuck on the Godfrey boss fight until you show up, and Godfrey being stuck on Radagon/elden beast until you beat Gideon.

nopants
May 29, 2004
the key to beating maliketh is to use the royal greatsword and the wolf helm then spam the ash of war. beat the bastard at his own game

nopants
May 29, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

messmer is gonna wind up being marika's brother who she banished to the shadow realm since the dlc is supposed to be her origin story

messmer was the original radagon that showed up as a champion and helped defeat the giants. at some point later he got banished to the shadow realm and the artificial radagon that we fight took his place

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man colossal weapons loving rule

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

toasterwarrior posted:

I want to take my knight & faith build (broadsword and shield + partizan, currently using flame art affinity) to endgame in preparation for the DLC. Unfortunately, I just realized that lightning affinity is associated with dex in this game, not faith, leading me to anticipate issues once I reach Mt. Gelmir, and especially when I'll be facing the Fire Giant and Mogh. Any advice towards making this build more flexible without losing the theme entirely? I'm currently thinking of respeccing towards primary strength with faith just for buffs.

Fire Giant has 20% holy negation which is not nothing but also if you’re putting out good damage then it’s not that big a deal. If you make a holy weapon that deals half and half physical and holy damage, then you’re only losing a tenth of your damage. If you use the broadsword it’s even less since Fire Giant also takes 10% more damage from slashing.

Mohg has 40% holy resist but he also has 40% lightning resist, so if you were going to use lightning against him you might as well use holy. If you want to avoid the resistances but keep the holy knight feel, you can switch your weapons to pure physical and load up your incantation slots with buffs instead. Golden Vow, Flame Grant Me Strength, Shabriri’s Howl, Dragonbolt Blessing. You can also pack a Bestial Vitality or Lord’s Aid. You don’t need to respec for that.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 1, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The real Elden Lord is that bald dude in all the ashes of war icons

That's right

It's Patches

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m sure this is not supported by The Lore or whatever, but I always imagined it as Gideon being stuck on the Godfrey boss fight until you show up, and Godfrey being stuck on Radagon/elden beast until you beat Gideon.
Is a lore reason given why you cannot really die like with bonfires in Dark Souls? Does that apply to other tarnished?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I always figured Godfrey was in on whatever Marika had in mind and was content to watch from the shadows while everything played out until the Erdtree was open and the Elden Beast was finally vulnerable. I never got the impression that he was the manipulative sort, or that he was some fake glory-hound type like his descendant - he's clearly an extremely capable warrior and loving loves fighting so he probably wasn't just sitting on his laurels the whole time. Him showing up when and where he does feels like a very deliberate decision on his part - like he's already there when you get back to the throne, he's ahead of you, he could have gone for the win at any time and probably would have succeeded too but he decides to throw down with you instead. Its like his way of going "buddy, you better be absolutely fuckin ready for this next part if you're really serious about this" Either you beat him, in which case you are probably in fact a bad enough dude to become the next Elden Lord, or he beats you and finishes cleaning up this mess himself.

Some cut/altered dialogue very much confirmed a lot of this. I posted about this in an few other places and likely here as well at some point, but the idea with the Tarnished was for them an excuse to send Godfrey away to wage war and get stronger so that he'd come back strong enough to potentially topple the Elden Beast when Marika shattered the Elden Ring to have Miquella(or possibly Godwyn) remake it and be the new "God" in charge for the Greater Will with Marika quietly retiring off to somewhere else. Certain...events(Night of Black Knives and Mohg kidnapping Miquella) threw some spanners in the works so that by the time Godfrey is back, things are not exactly going well to say the least.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ariong posted:

Fire Giant has 20% holy negation which is not nothing but also if you’re putting out good damage then it’s not that big a deal. If you make a holy weapon that deals half and half physical and holy damage, then you’re only losing a tenth of your damage. If you use the broadsword it’s even less since Fire Giant also takes 10% more damage from slashing.

Mohg has 40% holy resist but he also has 40% lightning resist, so if you were going to use lightning against him you might as well use holy. If you want to avoid the resistances but keep the holy knight feel, you can switch your weapons to pure physical and load up your incantation slots with buffs instead. Golden Vow, Flame Grant Me Strength, Shabriri’s Howl, Dragonbolt Blessing. You can also pack a Bestial Vitality or Lord’s Aid. You don’t need to respec for that.

I'm thinking about the buff route; what would be the smarter way to go about that? I figure I would want to maintain the required stats for Order's Blade, Golden Vow, and/or FGMS while pumping STR until I hit the soft cap, and then start putting points into faith?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Certain...events(Night of Black Knives and Mohg kidnapping Miquella) threw some spanners in the works so that by the time Godfrey is back, things are not exactly going well to say the least.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Yeah pretty much this. Oddly fitting what with the whole Erdtree being on fire and all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I beat Fire Giant again earlier tonight and it always makes me sad when Melina says Good-bye