Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

AnEdgelord posted:

the Tau are basically a multi-season arc Star Trek villain that has the unfortunate luck of dealing with the Imperium instead of the Federation and look good by comparison

"Resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Yup waddup it's your boy Autaku reaching out t'a all you gu'avas out there to teach ya'll bout the J'karra method

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Anyone have knowledge about the size difference between the newer astartes motorcycles versus the old ones?

I got 3 of the old Dark Angels ones years ago for $5 and wanted to give them to my Blood Angels

Thankfully I have both:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Assessor of Maat posted:

saying they didn't have a clear dark side at launch doesn't make any sense when the first bit of viewpoint fiction you'll read when you crack open that codex very pointedly has a Tau commander lamenting the brutes haven't been civilised by the presence of their betters yet

and then further in you've got a three page letter from a Tau guy on Pech that's observant enough to understand the Kroot a bit more, but is still a set of sideburns and a pith helmet away from being a victorian stereotype... it's not as over the top about it as comparable writing about the Imperium is but they're still direct about what sort of haughty colonial attitudes they're trying to remind you of, and it's certainly not meant to be flattering

That still ends up being flattering when pith helmets and sideburns do exist as a comparison.

And yeah all of this stuff did go over my head as a kid. Reading it now there's some some obvious hints with the "medical examination", "destiny" and stuff like that. But when you say British Empire, this is the way British Empire the way it thought about itself, not the British Empire that spread genocide and slavery all over our world. I can't read this as satire of it.

Edit: except South America. The Spanish genocided and enslaved the south. Can't forget our the Spanish.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 1, 2024

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I even had that codex but missed the British Empire comparison as a kid though. Alas.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I mean I'm pretty sure it's supposed to Japan, what with the honor and empire in the east stuff. But Japan modeled their empire on the Europeans, so that's not a huge distinction.

Edit: but it is more of a asian pastiche. The Art of War movie came out in 2000.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 1, 2024

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Gav Thorpe has said NATO is one of the big inspirations for the Tau, and the war in Iraq was a clear influence. "We'll be greeted as liberators" and all that.

Edit: here's an interview where he's asked about it https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/b3pc01/qa_with_gav_thorpe/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's some solid bits there

quote:

THORPE: It was mostly championed by Jes Goodwin, a fellow anime fan. He's used plenty of anime influence in his eldar of the years, but a more near-future patlabor-type mech race was a gap - something very different from the gothic / baroque of the overall setting. There wasn't any particular thought in Games Dev for pushing into Japan - a Western company arriving with their anime-influenced wargames models wasn't really going to be a big thing among the Gunpla and plethora of Tamiya mecha kits. More to appeal to a bit of the existing market that wasn't drawn in by the existing fantasy-in-space archetypes. Similarity with the background, a progressive, intellectually and technologically driven race was the antithesis of most of 40K. The Tau are more like C20th humans than the 40K humans! If anything, the more European imagery in the rest of the universe is a better sell in Asia because it offers something different.

BIFFORD: In the earlier editions, the Tau were a very likable race with no significant grimdark elements, but over time Games Workshop made them more sinister, with hints that they do things like mind control, or mass sterilizations, or use biological weapons to cleanse worlds for the benefit of Tau settlers. What do you have to say about this? What prompted these changes? How do you feel about them? Where does Games Workshop plan to go with the Tau?

THORPE: This is Warhammer 40,000 - nobody is as shiny as they first seem! As a bit of an analog for late 20th century / early 21st century western interventionist culture I've always assumed that the Greater Good is ultimately for the benefit of the T'au and if others get something out of that's just a bonus. The fact that they are even willing to work with other species is pretty unique and progressive among the factions of 40K, rather than rampant genodical, xenophobic armies. The thing about the Great Good is that it is, in the long term, as inflexible and authoritarian as the Imperial Creed or the all-consuming Tyranids. It still comes down to the Greater Good or Death (tm). I've tried not to make it too sinister being within the T'au sphere, though in the original Apocalypse book I introduced a variety of NATO-style innocuous three-letter-acronym formations, like Mobilised Hunter cadre, Dispersed Retaliation Cadre and Forward Commitment Contingent. None of them say 'battle' or 'war'... I cazn imagine the news back home is quite a sanitised version of the reality - like when we watched videos of 'smart' bombs and gun cameras blowing up stuff in Iraq but were totally unaware of what was really happening on the ground.

Yep, still not as bad as the real world counterparts they're borrowing from.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 1, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I want to say the mind control was there from the first codex, but the implication was that Ethereals had some sort of pheromone that made people around them more open to suggestion. It wasn't even sure if the Ethereals knew about it themselves.

It was a lore blurb about them gathering all the warring factions together in one place and getting them all work together despite centuries of violence in the space of 1 night.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was a lore blurb about them gathering all the warring factions together in one place and getting them all work together despite centuries of violence in the space of 1 night.

I remember that being a cool mystery about them at the time. All their history recounts it as a mysterious legendary event, and the Tau seem to assume these guys just came out of the desert and used their Superior Logic to convince everyone to work together.

Maybe that's even what happened. Perhaps there WAS a secret tribe watching things from the shadows that decided they couldn't let things get worse and saved the Tau, unlikely as it is. But this is 40k and the player community is genre savvy so we were all theory crafting about whether the Eldar made the Ethereals because they foresaw the Tau being important, or if Necrons made them as some kind of experiment to spit in the face of the Old Ones with an unwitting, psychically blunt client race. They made the Pariahs so a suddenly technically advanced race of spacefaring battlesuit pilots wouldn't be too far off. Who knows?
The Tau seem to think they're the protagonists but something's got O'Shovah so disturbed he's seceded. People used to think his special sword was some kind of C'tan phase blade too.

I don't remember because I have the Old, but does the original codex section about him say what it was that drove him nuts? I thought it said that his Ethereals were killed, he discovered something that shook him about the whole arrangement after finding the sword on Arthaz Moloch, and now he's the Separatist leader.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 1, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know if it was in the original codex but he fought Chaos and realized the Etherals were hiding it's existence from the other castes.

Arks of Omen opened up the likelihood that his blade is a daemon weapon of Khorne that adds the lifeforce of the beings killed with it to the bearer and that's how he's lived for 300 years. He fell to the corrupting influence and became an avatar of Khorne before being to fight his way back to sanity.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Cooked Auto posted:

Thankfully I have both:

Thank you very much! They're similar, but the new one definitely has more body to it and edges the old one out in length. I was thinking of clipping the wings off the back and maybe not include the angel wings that go over the headlight but maybe I should leave them on.

I just realized I have no bases for these drat things. Looks like they're going on the backburner for a little bit till that issue is resolved.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Requesting thread opinions:
Say you're playing against a CSM player, and their battleline marines are on 40mm bases vs the standard 32mm. Would you care?

My initial kitbashed primaris models are on 40mm bases, which matches most of the other units like characters, havocs, terminators, possessed, etc. I used 40mm because it gave me more real estate for telling a story on the base and although I most likely won't play competitive in this lifetime I'm curious how most normal players would react in a casual situation.

I know there's several arguments for the benefits and drawbacks of a bigger base size vs a smaller one, but it seems like most issues would be mitigated if the game measured from the center of the base instead of the lip. In any case battleline units don't have auras so :shrug:
I'd say the most impactful net negative is that the increased base size limits how many marines you can theoretically cram in an area like buildings for cover. 3x 40mm marines standing side by side is slightly smaller than 4x 32mm standing side by side for example. But since most battleline squads come in 5x or 10x man units I'm wondering if the total size of the squad footprint is even a issue. Unless people often run multiples of the same 10x man squads to the same points I guess.

Anyway, thoughts?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I remember that being a cool mystery about them at the time. All their history recounts it as a mysterious legendary event, and the Tau seem to assume these guys just came out of the desert and used their Superior Logic to convince everyone to work together.
Didn't this happen with the perpetuals and humans on post-cyberpocalypse Terra?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Base sizes are like the one thing everyone agrees on with WYSIWYG. A 5 man squad will be able to move block an extra 24mm or so of space? That's a whole inch. Also physically larger bases means you can block off more of an objective with your cheapest dudes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Demilich posted:

Say you're playing against a CSM player, and their battleline marines are on 40mm bases vs the standard 32mm. Would you care?

My initial kitbashed primaris models are on 40mm bases, which matches most of the other units like characters, havocs, terminators, possessed, etc. I used 40mm because it gave me more real estate for telling a story on the base and although I most likely won't play competitive in this lifetime I'm curious how most normal players would react in a casual situation.

I know there's several arguments for the benefits and drawbacks of a bigger base size vs a smaller one, but it seems like most issues would be mitigated if the game measured from the center of the base instead of the lip. In any case battleline units don't have auras so :shrug:
I'd say the most impactful net negative is that the increased base size limits how many marines you can theoretically cram in an area like buildings for cover. 3x 40mm marines standing side by side is slightly smaller than 4x 32mm standing side by side for example. But since most battleline squads come in 5x or 10x man units I'm wondering if the total size of the squad footprint is even a issue. Unless people often run multiples of the same 10x man squads to the same points I guess.

Anyway, thoughts?

To be completely honest I probably wouldn't notice the difference because there are a bunch of base sizes in use and I don't really know who is on what. If you told me (which you probably should) then I wouldn't care. But, I also play narrative or extremely chill games with people I know at my local store, so there is nothing competitive about it where anyone would be looking to get some sort of edge. If it was someone I didn't know, I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they were playing to get the best use out of that difference I'd be irritated. If your bases are the wrong size in a way that can make an advantage, make sure you are not exploiting that - try to treat them as if they were that smaller size in terms of positioning and difference.

I have a lot of older models that are on the wrong size base now, and I appreciate if people are cool with me using them without having to rebase everything. In exchange for that courtesy I'll always push things in their favor if there is any kind of conflict or dispute.

If you are going to play in any sort of competitive format you probably need to figure out how to get them right sized.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

It just seems like base sizes are all over the damned place.

Like lore wise the Custodes are taller/bigger than astartes even if they're heavy intercessors, but they share the same 40mm base size. Meanwhile the sisters of silence who are way smaller than primaris intercessors share the same 32mm base, but a scout squad is on 28mm bases and they're arguably larger individuals than the sisters comparatively. With astartes you have Eradicators with their big rear end weapons at 40mm, but Hellblasters who also have big rear end weapons are on 32mm bases.

Primaris are often mentioned being over 2.5m tall (and several being mentioned as taller than that) on 32mm bases, but the average Ogryn which stands between 2.5 and 3 metres tall as well are on 40mm bases.

I guess what I'm getting at is.... get your poo poo together GW.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like you don't like 40mm bases.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

For Adepta Sororitas, models can come on 25, 28, 32, 40, and 50mm bases. All these are for essentially normal humans of various stripes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ashcans posted:

For Adepta Sororitas, models can come on 25, 28, 32, 40, and 50mm bases. All these are for essentially normal humans of various stripes.
Being in the process of assembling a Sororitas combat patrol I can attest that the bases are directly proportional to your faith in the Emperor.

Repentia? Not much faith. 28mm.

Sisters of Battle themselves? 32mm, not bad.

The Penitent Engine? That guy's definitely getting tortured really hard, and I remember in Hellraiser how that helps you do your worshipping stuff. 50mm. Chunky boie.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Almost all of the guard infantry is on 28.5mm bases.

Only the battleline units are on 25mm.

Pretty much every single normal human in the game not wearing power armor is on 28.5mm or lower it looks like.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't think its the exact day, but March marks the 30th year anniversary of the release of the warp spider mold. Let's all celebrate such a momentous occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SUti14oblk

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Base size isn't about lore accuracy or human vs. space marine, or even about combat role. Base size is a game mechanic stat just like wounds or toughness. A larger base is generally a disadvantage, as more enemy units can get into base to base combat with you, and can limit your movement options on tight boards. Larger bases can help balance a unit.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Base size is closer to armor save.

3+ or lower and you get 32mm or higher base,
4+ or higher you get 28.5mm or lower base.

There are some weird outliers like Orks with 32mm bases and 5+ save or the larger based Tyranids not getting high armor saves either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I was reading Lore and I lol'd at the Goofus-rear end Chapter the Salamanders beefed with. Literally clad in a child's first paint colors.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

That still ends up being flattering when pith helmets and sideburns do exist as a comparison.

And yeah all of this stuff did go over my head as a kid. Reading it now there's some some obvious hints with the "medical examination", "destiny" and stuff like that. But when you say British Empire, this is the way British Empire the way it thought about itself, not the British Empire that spread genocide and slavery all over our world. I can't read this as satire of it.

Edit: except South America. The Spanish genocided and enslaved the south. Can't forget our the Spanish.

lol "only" being as bad as the self image of the british empire is not something that becomes flattering by having even worse comparisons around. the point is clearly to make the reader wonder how big the gulf between the Tau's outward justifications and what they actually do is, and all the more because they're talking like some pommy bastard!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Given how over-the-top it is, the 40k satire is surprisingly layered. Yes, the Imperium is a cartoonishly evil and over-the-top parody of autocratic states. However, the rest of the galaxy is so hosed up (including an entire alternative universe explicitly dedicated to the annihilation of humanity) that the evil of the Imperium is seen as necessary by some players. But this is also a parody, showing just how extreme the situation has to be for Margaret Thatcher the Imperium to be a sensible political solution (and the assumption is of course that the real world is not quite that bad, and does not have Chaos trying to eat us).

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Margaret Thatcher actually leads the comic relief faction

Anyways Tau as unironic good guys is a lame as hell idea

In fact they are lame, more alien confederation and less mechas please

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
New Shield Captain for Adeptus Custodes.

And the goose wasn't a new winged hive tyrant. It was for a gnome beastmaster for Blood Bowl.

You can probably proxy it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Also, new Big Mek for Orks.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/02/warhammer-world-anniversary-big-meks-get-bigger-in-a-new-ork-codex/

He'll be available in a Battleforce box. Much like the new Custard character.
And the cover for the new codex has dropped too.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/02/warhammer-world-anniversary-a-new-shield-captain-brings-the-heat-for-codex-adeptus-custodes/

As has the Custodes one. They seem to be getting a new cover and not a reused one.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 2, 2024

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Waaaaagh! The mad lads actually put a stompa in a battleforce

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

soviet elsa posted:

In fact they are lame, more alien confederation and less mechas please

Yes please- I want the loose, random alien alliance faction

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Athas posted:

New Shield Captain for Adeptus Custodes.

And the goose wasn't a new winged hive tyrant. It was for a gnome beastmaster for Blood Bowl.

You can probably proxy it.

Wayne England tribute head

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

xtothez posted:

Waaaaagh! The mad lads actually put a stompa in a battleforce

Huh, I never really trusted the rumors that said there'd be a Stompa in the Battleforce. I think it's a bit weird to include such a huge model, but I guess they only anticipate you buying one vs the Start Collecting boxes. But, hopefully this means they might give it decent rules this edition, like the Monolith, but... we'll see.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 2, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Is it dumb to be dissappointed in new studio orks having the same paint job they've had for a while? The current scheme has them in some kind of sickly pale green instead of a deep, healthy goblin green glow. It just looks off to me.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

gently caress that mek looks balla as hell

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

soviet elsa posted:

Is it dumb to be dissappointed in new studio orks having the same paint job they've had for a while? The current scheme has them in some kind of sickly pale green instead of a deep, healthy goblin green glow. It just looks off to me.

I much prefer the sickly pale green to the darker green, personally

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Maybe they can give the stompa some decent rules to go with that new battleforce

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I was half-hoping that the Custodes release this time would flesh them out into a full Talons of the Emperor list, complete with datasheets and models for the various Sisters of Silence weirdos from 30k that don’t have models yet (jetbikes, snipers, beastmistress etc.). It does feel like the codex is in a bit of a holding pattern while they figure out how much of the resin Custodes line they want to port to plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

The Demilich posted:

Base size stuff

If I was playing a casual game and my opponent let me know, I’d have no issues with it. Tournament, I would feel different.