Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Shageletic posted:

There's been alot of good action on TV shows. I'd say Daredevil's first season hallway fight was iconic. I do remember talking about it with strangers so that's gotta count for something

Yeah when I was thinking of iconic action I kept gravitating towards TV stuff like Daredevil, Banshee's grueling wince-inducing brawls and Into The Badlands' post-apocalyptic weirdness (like a Southern gentleman have a katana fight with a red-headed ninja clan matriarch or falling through the floor into a mall Santa set-up and having a staff fight with candy canes).

I got some thoughts on why that might be true but gotta go make supper first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

trevorreznik posted:

It's one of my favorite 80s Chicago movies. Don't rag on Chuck Norris - they gave him an on screen partner with even worse screen presence!! (the awful robot). Doesn't hurt to have the fantastic dive from the top of the L into the river.

Yeah all the dudes diving off stuff were a highlight. Especially the train stunt.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MI Fallout has the iconic bathroom fight.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
rewatched the first lone wolf and cub movie and it goddamn rules

https://i.imgur.com/uLaMbyz.mp4

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Halloween Jack posted:

Hollywood movies don't lack punches, they just lack the basic choreography and cinematography where you can see someone throw a punch and someone take a punch in the same shot.

Yeah, that hasn't been true in a long time. I do agree that the big franchises bring in "Action" directors in the second unit to handle those scenes and they really do strictly hold to the Principles of Good Action which are indeed different from what the Bourne films did, but they also kind of represent homogeneity and convergence toward a certain way of showing action. In the year 2024, those long one-take or faux-onesie shots just feel like a second unit director showing off rather than anything serving what the movie is actually trying to do.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

dokmo posted:

I too wanted to offer my babies the choice between sword or ball but was sadly vetoed.

Also love how clever he is, sunlight hacks!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The overemphasis/overreliance on long-takes is definitely something that's come up before here in conversation, it's something that I took note of probably around the time that Scott Adkins was doing his Art of Action series. I started delving more into Jackie's stuff and Hong Kong films in general and that tradition is 100% about what makes this fight flow better and what makes this fight have the most impact possible. And that's often lost with unnecessarily long takes, because inevitably some of the impact is lessened to accommodate the extremely long take. Long takes are about impressing the audience with the technical side of the filmmaking, not about creating the best fight scene possible.

In a classic Jackie fight, yea you will have an extended back and forth where the audience gets to see a wider shot of Jackie and his opponent exchanging blows. But those longer shots are always peppered with cuts that emphasize impact and help "tell the story" of the fight in a sense, i.e. they help the audience feel the flow of what Jackie and the choreographer are going for in that scene. Maybe you get a close up of Jackie or the opponent's face as they grimace in pain, maybe it's a slow-mo shot of Jackie landing a punch, whatever it is. Doing everything in as long a take as possible is limiting and should be treated as a gimmick to be used every once in a while.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

The overemphasis/overreliance on long-takes is definitely something that's come up before here in conversation, it's something that I took note of probably around the time that Scott Adkins was doing his Art of Action series. I started delving more into Jackie's stuff and Hong Kong films in general and that tradition is 100% about what makes this fight flow better and what makes this fight have the most impact possible. And that's often lost with unnecessarily long takes, because inevitably some of the impact is lessened to accommodate the extremely long take. Long takes are about impressing the audience with the technical side of the filmmaking, not about creating the best fight scene possible.

In a classic Jackie fight, yea you will have an extended back and forth where the audience gets to see a wider shot of Jackie and his opponent exchanging blows. But those longer shots are always peppered with cuts that emphasize impact and help "tell the story" of the fight in a sense, i.e. they help the audience feel the flow of what Jackie and the choreographer are going for in that scene. Maybe you get a close up of Jackie or the opponent's face as they grimace in pain, maybe it's a slow-mo shot of Jackie landing a punch, whatever it is. Doing everything in as long a take as possible is limiting and should be treated as a gimmick to be used every once in a while.

chinese/hong kong movies have long cuts, but their style is usually more like a dance scene, you'll see quite a few of these in e.g. king hu movies or say, 8 diagram pole fighter. but they also don't move from set to set and include a bunch of sfx the way modern western showstopper long cuts do.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

dokmo posted:

Love those movies, just rewatched them all with my wife. They are all on Max right now and definitely worth a watch

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Seconding Lone Wolf and Cub!

I think I’ve talked about the films before ITT but I have these all on Blu, and marathon them once or twice a year.

If they’re all still on Max and you haven’t seen them, you need to check them out. It’s a hell of a ride.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
saw tiger cage II and it's so weird to see young Donnie Yen not only fighting Liu Kang, who I had no idea was even from HK, but playing a sorta jackie chan character, wildly violent sometimes too
awesome movie

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Honest Thief posted:

saw tiger cage II and it's so weird to see young Donnie Yen not only fighting Liu Kang, who I had no idea was even from HK, but playing a sorta jackie chan character, wildly violent sometimes too
awesome movie

That's the one with the tank top sword fight, right?

e: hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkHBoeDFZdc
:perfect:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

ynohtna posted:

That's the one with the tank top sword fight, right?

e: hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkHBoeDFZdc
:perfect:

Holy poo poo this owns bones

The ponytail attack :lmao: IN SLOW MOTION!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
That is such a time specific location for a fight. Factory with random steam leaks and a giant unnecessary vent fan? With a smaller even more unnecessary fan above it? The only way it could be more 1990 is if there was a glass brick wall and a bunch of mannequins for no reason.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 28, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You had to be there. Industrial spots like that had the highest level of violent crimes in the 90s. Katana battles, shootouts, fights with chainsaws... it was off the rails. It took hardboiled cops, weapons akimbo, to defeat the villains there. Now they just do their villainy in suave white collar areas like office building lobbies and neon nightclubs.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Holy poo poo this owns bones

The ponytail attack :lmao: IN SLOW MOTION!

I went nuts for that. Here ya go, not embedded
https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...g90mK/giphy.gif

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jimbot posted:

You had to be there. Industrial spots like that had the highest level of violent crimes in the 90s. Katana battles, shootouts, fights with chainsaws... it was off the rails. It took hardboiled cops, weapons akimbo, to defeat the villains there.

Free Uzi/Tec-9/MP5K with every motorbike purchase!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
The location, the swords, the costumes, the ponytail, all of it earn that movie 10/10 Highlanders.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Where do I go with that series btw? Can someone give me a quick rundown on what needs to be seen and skipped cuz I saw the Van Damme original a while back and thought it was solid. I think it's a fair thesis on the fact that the only thing the United States really recycles is war criminals.

The official Universal Soldier timeline is now Universal Soldier, Regeneration and Day of Reckoning. So you go Regeneration.

There was two DTV sequels (Brothers in Arms and Unfinished Business which starred Matt Battaglia as the Luc Deveraux character) that weren't very good and are also ignored by the first sequel, The Return which in turn is ignored by the newer movies.
The Return also isn't very good, but least JCVD is back. I would say only watch this if you really want to see Bill Goldberg as a unisol.

Regeneration and Day of Reckoning is where John Hyams (yes, son of Peter Hyams director of noted JCVD movies Timecop and Sudden Death) gets control of the franchise and that also brings Dolph Lundgren back into the fold. Regeneration is only so-so but has some good fights and DoR is pretty good and has some truly gnarly fights.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I did in fact watch The Return just so I could see Goldberg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dokmo posted:

That is such a time specific location for a fight. Factory with random steam leaks and a giant unnecessary vent fan? With a smaller even more unnecessary fan above it? The only way it could be more 1990 is if there was a glass brick wall and a bunch of mannequins for no reason.

Lmao you're right. This post too me to a place where I had square and jutting haircut.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

MrBling posted:

The official Universal Soldier timeline is now Universal Soldier, Regeneration and Day of Reckoning. So you go Regeneration.

There was two DTV sequels (Brothers in Arms and Unfinished Business which starred Matt Battaglia as the Luc Deveraux character) that weren't very good and are also ignored by the first sequel, The Return which in turn is ignored by the newer movies.
The Return also isn't very good, but least JCVD is back. I would say only watch this if you really want to see Bill Goldberg as a unisol.

Regeneration and Day of Reckoning is where John Hyams (yes, son of Peter Hyams director of noted JCVD movies Timecop and Sudden Death) gets control of the franchise and that also brings Dolph Lundgren back into the fold. Regeneration is only so-so but has some good fights and DoR is pretty good and has some truly gnarly fights.

The Return also has Michael Jai White, although Goldberg had more fun. White was made to speak in his very lowest register, which made it harder to emote but reminds people of Darth Vader-style villain voices. The violence is more "happy destruction" than "martial arts mastery", so bring popcorn to throw at the screen when you're offended. :)

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Man, I was in the mood for some swashbuckling action and the new Three musketeers films had pretty good ratings on Letterboxd but I turned the first one off after about 20 minutes ( once they get ambushed at their agreed upon dueling spot ), there was basically no fencing, the vibes are off and there's too much weird punching and crappy gunplay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watch the Disney 1993 version instead

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
DartanYOOON

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The 70s Three Musketeers and Four Musketeers is really awesome.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

watch the Richard Lester Musketeer films!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Those both go on my shortlist of "movies I can watch with my in-laws without being irritated or bored to death."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

But honestly there is a sad paucity of swashbuckling in general. Action does not need to be just Eastern martial arts or shooting people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch the one piece Netflix show. It’s very swashy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Majkol posted:

Man, I was in the mood for some swashbuckling action and the new Three musketeers films had pretty good ratings on Letterboxd but I turned the first one off after about 20 minutes ( once they get ambushed at their agreed upon dueling spot ), there was basically no fencing, the vibes are off and there's too much weird punching and crappy gunplay.

Watched the most recent Romeo adaptation actually taking place in the appropriate time period and it didn't have bad sword fighting. It made the play alot more fun to watch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Check out The Musketeer from 2001 if you want Three Musketeers combined with Tsui Hark-style wire-fu action. I won't say the movie is actually good but it's certainly a unique take.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

CelticPredator posted:

One Piece rules

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

One Piece rules

:hmmyes:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

Hm, first thing that's gotten me interested in it!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MrMojok posted:

watch the Richard Lester Musketeer films!

Not that these aren't great, but the versions they planned to do with The Beatles as the musketeers are high up in my list of "could have been" movies I would love to see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lobok posted:

It can be a bit fan filmy and sometimes the shots and style look like rear end. But the actors kill it and there’s a really cool charm through the whole thing

I’ve never seen the anime and I loved the live action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byiRZHyIuNQ

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lobok posted:

If I may, let this be a gateway drug to anime and manga of One Piece! I'm obligated to say this, Oda the author saved my life in a freak island maroon situation.

The live-action is really good, but, if you're open to the style, the original work is even better. For example the second ep of the live-action really skips most of that Buggy the Clown guy's arc, just has them in a circus tent the whole episode. You'll find a delightful arc there instead in the manga and anime, just even more of that good thing. And the characters are a bit more unique.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 29, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

null_pointer posted:

Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla, Rogue One, The Creator) is on the couch for Corridor Crew's Visual FX Artists React. Haven't watched it, yet, but this is a pretty big score for the guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWjayZ3U4TQ

Multiple great moments in this where they state how something was done only for Edwards to correct them because these guys never have a loving clue what they are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

If I may, let this be a gateway drug to anime and manga of One Piece! I'm obligated to say this, Oda the author saved my life in a freak island maroon situation.

?