Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

toggle posted:

looking good

:five:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

toggle posted:

looking good

Is this using averages? That's not fair.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

So all we gotta do is boil the oceans got it.

on it boss

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Hubbert posted:

I regret to inform you that gum might be the only treat that intentionally includes plastic.

Only because they banned real Kinder Eggs

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

toggle posted:

looking good

taking bets on when the Y-axis will need to be expanded

i vote april 15th

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Some Raz Al Guhl thinking happening here.

thread title

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

taking bets on when the Y-axis will need to be expanded

i vote april 15th

yeah i reckon between march 30 to april 5

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
choosing to believe it'll just start going down for no reason tomorrow and stay down, just so we got a healthy mix of bets in the pool

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
next year it'll go back down to normal just to irk doomers

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017
Im sure theres a way to bet on it. There is a market for Arctic Sea Ice Extent.
https://kalshi.com/markets/arcticicemax/arctic-sea-ice-max-extent

kater
Nov 16, 2010

HermitSupplier posted:

choosing to believe it'll just start going down for no reason tomorrow and stay down, just so we got a healthy mix of bets in the pool

sometimes it just makes sense to take long odds. if you bet on humanity surviving and lose, eh.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hubbert posted:

I regret to inform you that gum might be the only treat that intentionally includes plastic.
if my cat is to be believed plastic is an irresistible delicacy unlike any other on this earth

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

toggle posted:

looking good

Please stop sending me this chart.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
i would like to unsubscribe from this biosphere

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

i would like to unsubscribe from this biosphere

Don't worry, we're currently working hard to end your subscription

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TACD posted:

if my cat is to be believed plastic is an irresistible delicacy unlike any other on this earth

yeah mine loves it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=arLJBtFSMh4

Friday vibin’ and bringing joy

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i ❤️ the graph

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Time for the Friday afternoon lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How does a company sue an investor? Did the investment come with strings attached and if so, isn't it tough poo poo? Company can take it or leave it, surely?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

TACD posted:

Whomst among us didn't chew up Styrofoam cups as a kid

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Microplastics posted:

How does a company sue an investor? Did the investment come with strings attached and if so, isn't it tough poo poo? Company can take it or leave it, surely?

they're calling their own manager. the complaint basically says "we think the SEC rules say we should be allowed to just throw these proposals out because they're too similar to previously rejected proposals. please, judge, say we're right."

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
we've had 25°C temp swings this week

but things still aren't that bad, yet

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/climate/emissions-energy-climate-record-iea-intl/index.html

quote:

Global carbon pollution from energy hit a record high last year, driven partly by increased fossil fuel use in countries where droughts restricted hydropower production, according to an International Energy Agency (IEA) report published Thursday.

Steep cuts in carbon emissions, mainly from burning fossil fuels, will be needed in the coming years if targets to limit a global rise in temperatures and prevent runaway climate change are to be met, scientists have said.

“Far from falling rapidly — as is required to meet the global climate goals set out in the Paris Agreement — CO2 emissions reached a new record high,” the IEA said in the report.

Global emissions from energy rose by 410 million metric tons, or 1.1%, in 2023 to 37.4 billion metric tons, the IEA analysis showed.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

cash crab posted:

i ❤️ the graph

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

4d3d3d posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/climate/emissions-energy-climate-record-iea-intl/index.html

quote:

Global carbon pollution from energy hit a record high last year, driven partly by increased fossil fuel use in countries where droughts restricted hydropower production, according to an International Energy Agency (IEA) report published Thursday.

Steep cuts in carbon emissions, mainly from burning fossil fuels, will be needed in the coming years if targets to limit a global rise in temperatures and prevent runaway climate change are to be met, scientists have said.

“Far from falling rapidly — as is required to meet the global climate goals set out in the Paris Agreement — CO2 emissions reached a new record high,” the IEA said in the report.

Global emissions from energy rose by 410 million metric tons, or 1.1%, in 2023 to 37.4 billion metric tons, the IEA analysis showed.

But scientists have been telling politicians for years that we have to reduce our emissions now. I wonder why they're still going up?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SixteenShells posted:

Great! We only need a couple million of these plants then!

yeah, about 10 million at least

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

starkebn posted:

But scientists have been telling politicians for years that we have to reduce our emissions now. I wonder why they're still going up?

it's just too hard to reduce emissions right now, they're needed because the economy isn't perfect and there are wars on and other strife is happening but I'm sure that soon the world will return to the heady times of the 1990s and the politicians will deign to lower emissions as a treat for all the good girls and boys who don't ask them for anything or protest and simply vote for the correct party

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Complications posted:

it's just too hard to reduce emissions right now, they're needed because the economy isn't perfect and there are wars on and other strife is happening but I'm sure that soon the world will return to the heady times of the 1990s and the politicians will deign to lower emissions as a treat for all the good girls and boys who don't ask them for anything or protest and simply vote for the correct party

As long as there are no unforeseen rises in air conditioning demand we'll be fine.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
We just need more people riding around on golf carts to top up the perpetually leaking coolant

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/safety-fears-stall-un-bid-examine-sun-blocking-climate-change-tech-2024-02-29/

quote:

Safety fears stall U.N. bid to examine sun-blocking climate change tech

NAIROBI, Feb 29 (Reuters) - U.N. delegates on Thursday withdrew a motion calling for more research into technologies that aim to fight climate change by reflecting the sun's rays back into space, amid concerns about health and environmental risks.

Some who opposed the draft resolution at the U.N. Environment Assembly (UNEA) were also worried that the use of solar radiation modification (SRM) might let big polluters off the hook, organisations watching the debate said.

Switzerland and Monaco first tabled the resolution on examining the geoengineering technology in December and it was discussed during this week's assembly in Nairobi.

The original version called for the convening of an expert group that would produce a report examining SRM's possible applications, risks and ethical considerations.

One of the best known proposals for using it involves blasting sulphur dioxide - a coolant - into the higher reaches of the atmosphere.

There are only a handful of small SRM projects in operation. Some scientists say SRM could be made available when necessary to avert climate tipping points.

Critics are worried about possible impacts on weather patterns and agriculture, especially in poorer countries. They also fear SRM could serve as an excuse to delay cutbacks on greenhouse gas emissions.

After going through six revisions over the past two weeks, the resolution was withdrawn on Thursday.

Robin Poëll, a spokesperson for Switzerland's Federal Office for the Environment, said countries disagreed on how to facilitate better access to information on SRM and "if the gathering of information should only focus on risk and uncertainties or could as well include potential benefits".

"We regret that UNEA couldn’t come to a conclusion on this important matter. However, the discussions have been informative and useful and we managed to start a global conversation about this important topic," he said.

Ali Mohamed, Kenya's climate envoy, said African countries opposed the resolution.

"The science is very, very nascent, and the risks are unknown," he said. "At this stage, there are many solutions to the regulation of greenhouse gases."

The Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) said the European Union, Pacific Island states, Colombia and Mexico also came out against the resolution.

"These technologies cannot tackle the root causes of the climate crisis and would instead enable major polluters to delay the urgent need to phase out fossil fuels," Mary Church, Senior Geoengineering Campaigner at CIEL, said.

Snowpiercer is going to be lit, gotta move to Korea so I can make it onto the train

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

instead of reflecting the sun, what if we trap it deep underground where the oil used to be?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

bouncing around a meme of our bdelloid friend playing ff7 rebirth due to its themes of trying to save the planet from rapacious capitalism then he sees tifa in a bikini and blood shoots out of its nose anime-style

anyways game is pretty good, video games are my playing violin on the deck of the titanic.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

quote:

There are only a handful of small SRM projects in operation.

Interesting...

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

instead of reflecting the sun, what if we trap it deep underground where the oil used to be?

it'll only take a few million years, but i think you're onto something ..... let's call them reservoirs of ancient sunlight ....

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

looking into gluing sunlight

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

i always heard canning sunshine was a good idea

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
you can't put sunshine in cans, it'll melt right through. you gotta put them in polyethylene. that's how they make Sunny D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I don’t see the problem. it says right there in the article it will mostly affect poor countries.