Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

verbal enema posted:

I beat Fire Giant again earlier tonight and it always makes me sad when Melina says Good-bye

Yeah that was sad. Saw it for the fist time in one of my most recent runs(FTH build). The cutscene for Frenzied Flame is better too since you can see and even hear the madness oozing from your person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

War Wizard posted:

Mad Tongue Alberich is the true lord of Roundtable Hold :colbert:

He kicked my rear end over and over on my first playthrough. A lot of other bosses were also doing the same so I put it down to being bad at souls games since ER is my first. Now on my second (non NG+) playthrough and he still kicked my rear end over and over while I stomped a lot of the bosses who I had trouble with the first time around. I'm definitely still bad but now I also think he's just a motherfucker

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 1, 2024

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ariong posted:

My take (not unique at all): At some point in the recent past many (all?) tarnished suddenly began to see the guidance of grace once more after decades, or perhaps generations, of bring abandoned by the Greater Will. The Greater Will bestowed the guidance of grace on every Tarnished it thought might be able to fix the Elden Ring. As time went on, it began taking the guidance away from people one by one as it narrowed down the list of people most likely to get the job done. By the start of the game, the only people who can still see the guidance of grace are the ones mentioned in the intro.

I'm going to poke some holes in this, although I think it is ultimately left ambiguous who exactly extended the guidance of grace to the Tarnished. I believe it's Marika, which I'll get to.

First I think Tarnished lose the guidance of grace through their own actions or inactions, a straying from the path that grace lays out for them. Some refuse the call, some stray from the path (Rogier), some defy it (Bernahl), some forge their own path (Nepheli), but we have no evidence that the Greater Will explicitly gives or takes the guidance of grace (or that it has the desire to interact with the Lands Between at all at this point--see the fingers freezing up trying to communicate with the GW after defeating Morgott). On the other hand, we know at least that Marika once took away the guidance of grace:

"My Lord [Godfrey], and thy warriors [read: those who would later be called Tarnished]. I divest each of thee of thy grace.
With thine eyes dimmed, ye will be driven from the Lands Between.
Ye will wage war in a land afar, where ye will live, and die."

And later:

"Then, after thy death, I will give back what I once claimed.
Return to the Lands Between, wage war, and brandish the Elden Ring.
Grow strong in the face of death. Warriors of my lord.
Lord Godfrey."

quote:

*Goldmask, Fia, and Dung Eater. We know they have the potential to mend the Elden Ring because they are the ones who, with your help, can create mending runes. They have so much willpower and such strong belief in their respective visions of how the world should work that they can bring a new rune into existence to reinforce the Elden Ring, that has to count for something! However, I imagine that by the end of the game they will have lost the guidance of grace, particularly at the moment when they create their mending rune. All of these people have some sort of beef with the Greater Will, and thus the Greater Will is incentivized to string them along until they make their mending rune and then ditch them in favor of someone else who can use the mending rune but may not be as hostile toward the Greater Will, i.e. you.

This doesn't really jive for me. There's nothing special about the player Tarnished compared to the other Tarnished mentioned. You said it, the player Tarnished is explicitly of "no renown". Why would the GW abandon those to whom it's extended the guidance of grace before the job is done? There's no guarantee that the player Tarnished, or anyone for that matter, would take those mending runes, become Elden Lord, and choose to use them to mend the Elden Ring.

quote:

*Sir Gideon Offnir. I think this explains a lot of his motivation. He’s an egotist who sees the guidance of grace, and his ability to see it, as confirmation that he will someday be the greatest and smartest and most specialest of all tarnished.

He raises Nepheli Loux because she can see it and being the father of the most specialest tarnished is his backup plan. When she stops being able to see it, he drops her like a hot potato. He stops seeing the guidance of grace when you get Destined Death.

You've got this backward. Gideon took her in when she lost the guidance of grace. He offered her his own guidance instead, and he saw a tool he could use in her. He drops her after she kills the men that he sent to Village of the Albinaurics to find Albus' half of the Haligtree Medallion. If Nepheli's special, it's because she manages to get out from beneath the thumb of Gideon and forge her own path outside of any sort of "guidance".

The real ambiguity is whether the Greater Will abandoned the demigods, or the Lands Between entirely. I think it's the latter. The fingers are all either dead or attempting (and failing) to communicate with the GW. There's nothing to suggest continued, active involvement by the Greater Will in the Lands Between. Given that, and that the Tarnished saw the guidance of grace again after the Shattering, I don't find it convincing to think that the Greater Will's final act before loving off to outer space was to throw out some pity grace to an exiled lord and his merry band of undead warriors.

My Big Brain Theory: Marika wanted out of the whole arrangement, she wanted to die (see: Hewg), and exiled Godfrey/the Tarnished before she shattered the ring so that they would come back after she "gives back what [she] once claimed" and, through struggle and the flame of ambition, restore Destined Death (this is the important bit), become worthy enough to become Elden Lord and restore Order according to how they see fit.

This is where I think Gideon gets it wrong. He equates his own quest for knowledge--one that he admits is endless--with the path that Marika set out for he and the Tarnished.

"Queen Marika has high hopes for us. That we continue to struggle. Unto eternity."

"The pursuit of knowledge is without end, for knowledge is never a thing complete. Thus, I maintain the mantle of All-Knowing. Perhaps the same could be said about guidance."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mohg down ahead of schedule, and my hope that he was an even more fun fight when you come in 40 levels below where you normally fight him proved true. Always a blast.

In related news, Mohg's spear fucks. Totally ridiculous and by itself makes str/arc a really good build. Been tough losing the posture damage (though great spears are no slouch) and per hit bleed buildup, but the weapon art rips and tears even on stuff that doesn't bleed. Proceeded to annihilate Borealis, snail godskins, a half dozen dungeons, snowfield Astel more decisively than I ever have, and I can't even remember what else.

Thinking about leveling up my Lance and making it bleed to see if powerstancing is good and to test if the absolutely ridiculous weapon art hyper armor is lower when it is one-handed. My communism seal is now sitting at around 260 spell power which is really, really good for a build that has soft capped strength (when two-handing) and what will end up being ~44 arcane to fall back on. Not that there's anything else I'd rather use the FP on than the weapon art. Nihil! NIHIL!!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ben Nerevarine posted:

My Big Brain Theory: Marika wanted out of the whole arrangement, she wanted to die (see: Hewg), and exiled Godfrey/the Tarnished before she shattered the ring so that they would come back after she "gives back what [she] once claimed" and, through struggle and the flame of ambition, restore Destined Death (this is the important bit), become worthy enough to become Elden Lord and restore Order according to how they see fit.

This is where I think Gideon gets it wrong. He equates his own quest for knowledge--one that he admits is endless--with the path that Marika set out for he and the Tarnished.

"Queen Marika has high hopes for us. That we continue to struggle. Unto eternity."

"The pursuit of knowledge is without end, for knowledge is never a thing complete. Thus, I maintain the mantle of All-Knowing. Perhaps the same could be said about guidance."

I have a similar thought, except Marika doesn't want to die, she wants to be free and become truly an eternal queen. The Elden Beast is the manifestation of the Greater Will, and the weapon she's having Hewg forge is to kill Radagon (her other self) and the Elden Beast (The Living embodiment of the Greater Will).

Then after that is done, you mend the Elden Ring and Marika (who contains it) is mended too, divested of the control of the Elden Beast/Greater Will/Golden Order (which she'd previously separated into Radagon, that's why he's super loyal but she shatters the ring) and free to rule for eternity alongside the Tarnished who became Elden Lord. You put Marika back together in the non Chaos/Ranni endings.

Marika removes the Rune of Death from the Elden Ring so she can rule forever, only to eventually chafe under the Greater Will being above her and its Golden Order controlling her.

Gideon freaks out because he doesn't think it's possible to a) kill Radagon/Marika but also potentially b) kill the Elden Beast.

Edit: Additionally, it's suggested that the Night of the Black Knives was partially masterminded by Marika (as nobody else would have been able to steal Destined Death from Maliketh who directly talks about her betraying him), and in fact I think she doesn't want any of her kids to succeed her at all either, she's sabotaged them in various ways. Godwyn would've easily been the favourite so he's killed, all 3 Empyrean Children are cursed or convinced of their own path that cannot ultimately succeed without assistance. To the point that I have a suspicion that The Greater Will was planning to replace Marika and that's when she decided to shatter the ring etc. Empyreans can become Gods like Marika, and she has 3 Empyrean Children, one of which we know the Greater Will, or at least the Two Fingers, had designs for (Ranni) and Miquella has a deep connection to the Golden Order before he decides to try and free the world from the Outer Gods for Malenia's sake. Malenia cannot be party to communion with the Greater Will like Marika, but would become a Goddess of Rot if she succeeded Marika.

The Shattering wasn't just to find somone able to kill the Elden Beast, it was the force her children into conflict so they couldn't rule the lands until her Tarnished Champion came back. I think her plan originally was for Hoarah Loux to kill the Elden Beast and become her Elden Lord again, but Hoarah Loux is willing to let anyone who might have a chance do it instead if they can beat him.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 1, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Godfrey is just about the coolest poo poo they've ever done. Both his cutscenes are the hypest poo poo I didn't think I could get as amped as I was that late in the game. And what a loving fight.

Seconded.

In a series where you can fight personifications of the glory and darkness of mankind, horrific monsters and elder gods, the most terrifying thing in the world is mans rage coming at you with no brakes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Elden Beast is not a manifestation of the Greater Will. It’s a “vassal beast of the Greater Will and living incarnation of the concept of Order”. The exact same “vassal” terminology is used to refer to the relationship between the Greater Will and the Fingers (in the mirrorhelm descriptions). It’s probably just as lost as they are.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I figured it was basically the Great Will's Metatron, like Marika's whole plan seems to be to force a confrontation with it to slip lose from the Great Will's control? It seems to be a bit close to the top than the Fingers

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
truthfully I saw the beast as the last defense system the greater will saw fit to grant the elden tree. a bit like a truly massive white blood cell.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Beast is what you get if you try to pursue the order (of good looking white people with magic powers) to its source. Namely, slimy, inscrutable, amoral protoplasm with a nervous system. Basic Lovecraft stuff

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Godfrey owns because dude is the Strength Build

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The greater will is GRRM who left once the contract ended.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
the GReateR Mill

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

euphronius posted:

The greater will is GRRM who left once the contract ended.

No, the contract is the guidance of grace..

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
The Elden Beast keeps kicking my rear end and I can’t tell if it’s because I’m bad at the game and my build is poo poo or if I’m just bad at the game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

The Elden Beast keeps kicking my rear end and I can’t tell if it’s because I’m bad at the game and my build is poo poo or if I’m just bad at the game

What is your build?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

DreamingofRoses posted:

Yes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

What’s your build? EB has a couple super moves that will nuke you regardless, and loves to annoy you by running away, but unless you’re going holy damage only you can probably make the build work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Replaying from the start

The nice thing about the map being SO BIG is that there’s no way you’re gonna remember everything so it’s full of surprises again

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

if you have incantations you can trivialize the fight with lord’s divine fortification, if you have spells you can spam thops’ barrier to never get hit by projectiles, there are lots of other tricks, elden beast to me seems like the ultimate build versatility/supplementary techniques check but the thing to know is that it does mostly holy damage and receives very little, and also cant bleed

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

DreamingofRoses posted:

The Elden Beast sucks poo poo. It's either a pain in the rear end (non faith build) or fairly braindead.

If you can cast Gideon's "gently caress You Demigods" incantation (Lord's Divine Fortification) it increases holy damage resistance by 60% which renders its only threatening attack a non-issue. Otherwise, I hope you like dodging Elden Stars while it swings its noodly arms around everywhere. :woop:

E: also Torrent can get bent. Stupid lazy spirit horse. What am I even paying you all those raisins for if you can't be bothered showing up for the big climactic battle?

Squiggly Beast fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 1, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Squiggly Beast posted:

The Elden Beast sucks poo poo. It's either a pain in the rear end (non faith build) or fairly braindead.

If you can cast Gideon's "gently caress You Demigods" incantation (Lord's Divine Fortification) it increases holy damage resistance by 60% which renders its only threatening attack a non-issue. Otherwise, I hope you like dodging Elden Stars while it swings its noodly arms around everywhere. :woop:

the thops barrier spell also trivializes elden stars if you spam it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elden Beast is pretty easy it's more a pain to have to run after it. Only tough move is the star thing that follows you I think that's what got me my one death first time through.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

scary ghost dog posted:

the thops barrier spell also trivializes elden stars if you spam it

Oh neat. I never messed around with Barrier, since I was playing a fairly generic dude-with-sword-and-some-buffs build and Carian Retaliation never left my shield AoW slot.

I think I'll end up doing an int/dex or pure int build next, just to try out all the cool sorceries.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Are the parry-rated ashes of war (carian retaliation, golden parry, thops' barrier) improved by using a buckler, since those have better normal parry windows?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Also good lord I should have made use of the spirit calling a lot earlier on my first run, three wolves make light work of early bosses

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Annath posted:

Are the parry-rated ashes of war (carian retaliation, golden parry, thops' barrier) improved by using a buckler, since those have better normal parry windows?

no, the “better parry window” of the buckler in elden ring is actually a different ash of war called “buckler parry”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Annath posted:

Nope. Put carian retaliation/golden parry on a decent medium shield so you can block stuff too

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Primarily Faith, using Black Flame as my primary incantation and I have the Nagakiba in my right hand to buff with black flame if I need it.

For the actual numbers because I don’t have an intuitive understanding of how things should be proportioned:

Level 143

Vigor: 30
Mind: 31
Endurance: 20
Strength: 19
Dexterity: 30
Intelligence: 22
Faith: 66
Arcane: 15

Currently wielding the Nagakiba +24 and Godslayer’s Seal +25

Talismans are the Haligdrake Talisman +2, Green Turtle Talisman, Flock’s Canvas Talisman, and Two Fingers Heirloom

I do have Lord’s Fortification and Tiche +10

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k
I didn't get the 'function is the same, regardless of base shield' aspect of the parry ashes at all. So I went ages without parries. Just thought that parrying wasn't really a thing on anything heavier than the buckler.

Once I got to the Crucible Knight + Misbegotten fight though, it was a total brick wall of "How on earth do you do this effectively? The dude attacks non-stop and has approximately 1 billion poise. They can't possibly intend for you to just trade with him all the time, can they?" and looked up some info. What do you know, parry ashes are ridiculously good and you can still rock a 100% physical resist shield. Welp.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Annath posted:

nope. once you have special parry ashes the only real selling point of small shields is the economical weight budget (with some exceptions that have unique properties that are sometimes useful).

another cool case is that shield bash regardless of what kind of shield you use it on is, if timed right, an unbreakable guard as well as an attack. it can put you in a stamina deficit which isn't the best position to be in but beats being guard broken.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 1, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Primarily Faith, using Black Flame as my primary incantation and I have the Nagakiba in my right hand to buff with black flame if I need it.

For the actual numbers because I don’t have an intuitive understanding of how things should be proportioned:

Level 143

Talismans are the Haligdrake Talisman +2, Green Turtle Talisman, Flock’s Canvas Talisman, and Two Fingers Heirloom

you have half as much vigor as you should. youre at fighting rennala amounts of vigor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you fight the last boss halfway to the vigor cap then youre effectively taking double damage

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

if you fight the last boss halfway to the vigor cap then youre effectively taking double damage

Ah, I’ll go respec again. Thank you!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Level 143

the final boss duo is practically tailor-made to kill you by draining your resources to nothing and having that little health is gonna make that check way harder on you

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Also good lord I should have made use of the spirit calling a lot earlier on my first run, three wolves make light work of early bosses

Yeah their ability to stance break and generally be as annoying as dogs are in FS games is definitely legit and on the nose.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Fired up Elden Ring for the first time in a year

Walked out to adventure around with my level 300 character, thinking things will be easy

Get in a panic fighting trash mobs and inflicted with rot

Destroyed by an NPC invader and the first medium strength enemy I run into

I'm also shaking off months of rust and it's taking a while lol

Ironically I'm mostly dying to gravity

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I thought they had patched out the Mohgwyn bird farm but lol nope.

Doing a fresh playthrough made me wonder how I got so loving lost getting there my first time around. Being able to read the map is an incredibly useful skill.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Robviously posted:

I thought they had patched out the Mohgwyn bird farm but lol nope.

Doing a fresh playthrough made me wonder how I got so loving lost getting there my first time around. Being able to read the map is an incredibly useful skill.

Albinauric mass murder is where the money’s at, use two Golden Waves, boom, swimming in runes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

…could Seluvis have stuck his primal glintstone in Pidia to try and get out of being murdered?
Seluvius was a puppet of Pidia. You can tell because when Pidia dies during Sellen's quest, Seluvius also 'dies' and collapses into the same 'puppet with its strings cut' pose as all the other puppets in the creepy hidden basement.

Epic High Five posted:

There's also the fact that Goldmask, the definitive source on all things Golden Order, is standing right next to the drat thing when he says he's got this whole thing licked except for this one little thing he can't pin down, and it isn't the huge fuckin tree 10 feet away from him.
I think I must have missed a quest step, the one time I saw Goldmask he was standing at the end of a broken bridge in the upper Altus plateau, pointing at the tree, with nothing to say. Then later he was gone.