Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if they won't settle on something like what the groceries have been doing recently, which is having high fixed prices but something always on a significant sale.

So if you're a cheap bastard like me and see that today the uhhh Spicy McCrispy™ meal is 40% off, you'd just have that. But someone less price sensitive who just has to have the Royale with Cheese will shell out the full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

I wonder if they won't settle on something like what the groceries have been doing recently, which is having high fixed prices but something always on a significant sale.

So if you're a cheap bastard like me and see that today the uhhh Spicy McCrispy™ meal is 40% off, you'd just have that. But someone less price sensitive who just has to have the Royale with Cheese will shell out the full price.

All things to try and attract the person that would otherwise haggle or push for best value while getting maximum value out of the price insensitive people.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

ponzicar posted:

What else would "dynamic pricing" mean though? There's no way they'd use it exclusively for off hours discounts.

Combine gambling and fast food. Patrons could be charged a random amount from a range and also have a chance at a free frosty or baked potato.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Man that would suck. I've travelled a lot around the south island. There's huge nearly-uninhabited areas with just a few no-employee CC-only gas stations. Not a place you want to get stranded.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mobby_6kl posted:

McDonald's already does this.

This is possibly the most effete out of touch liberal sentence I have ever said, but...

I don't really eat McDonald's, but I read in the New Yorker about how McDonald's was making a huge pivot to building up a userbase on their app. You can still get original dollar menu items for a dollar, regularly get 40% to 60% off on random menu items, and free fries with most orders on the app. Drive through workers are also supposed to always ask you if you are using the app today.

If you go to McDonald's today without an app, much like going to a grocery store today without a membership card, you will be getting reamed with the highest prices.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Oxyclean posted:

II'll admit I'm a bit confused by this, or at least, I kind of assumed vegetarianism and to a lesser extent, veganism are fairly loose and up to personal feelings and preference? I thought vegetarian is largely "no meat" and vegan is basically no animal product. Either can be founded in a "no animal cruelty" belief, but vegan leans more towards that. I'm a little unclear why most/some vegetarians would take issue with their food being made adjacent to/on the same surface something that was made with meat, so long as they aren't personally consuming said meat. Being cooked in the same oil as a meat makes a little more sense, but still feels a bit of a "well you're still not personally consuming meat." and arguably still passes the "no animals were slaughter for my meal specifically" qualifier? Unless it's an actual food allergy/sensitivity. That said I can certainly understand it if it's just a personal standard/line, it just struck me as a bit odd.
In thirty years of exposure, I find one of the most entitled segments of America to be vegetarian/vegans.

They generally expect that whatever food is prepared for them is done on a separate grill, fryer, completely clean pan, etc. to avoid that abhorrent taint of meat. If they find that it's not the case, they raise holy hell on the order of the Holocaust. If, for example, their veggie burger came with an accidental piece of crisp bacon (not possible to leak nasty bacon grease onto the burger), they will not back down from the insistence that the burger be sent back because of the meat contamination and a new one fired up. I've never come across a vegetarian who would say to someone else at their table, "Oh, they must have added this by accident; do you want it?" and started to eat the burger.

It extends beyond restaurants too. Planning get-togethers start with tension as people asking if this dish or that dish is ok to make. Will they eat this other dish? It's the kind of hand-wringing I suspect is only as new as the past 50 years; nobody in their right mind in the previous history of humanity would ever have to ask "Will they eat a potato salad? How about a green bean casserole?" with the tension and frustration rising as you explain, "No, they don't like potatoes or green beans."

Oh, did I just blow your mind by revealing that many vegetarians and vegans are fussy about fruits and vegetables?

There have to be those who are courteous and treat their dietary preference as an onus on themself. There has to be a vegan who says, "Y'know, I'll make a dish for me to eat at our put luck. Tell your mother not to worry about what I'll eat!" There has to a vegetarian who goes to a restaurant and politely asks questions about the menu and realizes the mushroom dish is likely their best, non-meat tainted option (instead of loudly proclaiming "UGH! I DON'T LIKE MUSHROOMS!"). There has to be vegetarians/vegans like this.

But I've not met them.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cheesus posted:

In thirty years of exposure, I find one of the most entitled segments of America to be vegetarian/vegans.

They generally expect that whatever food is prepared for them is done on a separate grill, fryer, completely clean pan, etc. to avoid that abhorrent taint of meat. If they find that it's not the case, they raise holy hell on the order of the Holocaust. If, for example, their veggie burger came with an accidental piece of crisp bacon (not possible to leak nasty bacon grease onto the burger), they will not back down from the insistence that the burger be sent back because of the meat contamination and a new one fired up. I've never come across a vegetarian who would say to someone else at their table, "Oh, they must have added this by accident; do you want it?" and started to eat the burger.

It extends beyond restaurants too. Planning get-togethers start with tension as people asking if this dish or that dish is ok to make. Will they eat this other dish? It's the kind of hand-wringing I suspect is only as new as the past 50 years; nobody in their right mind in the previous history of humanity would ever have to ask "Will they eat a potato salad? How about a green bean casserole?" with the tension and frustration rising as you explain, "No, they don't like potatoes or green beans."

Oh, did I just blow your mind by revealing that many vegetarians and vegans are fussy about fruits and vegetables?

There have to be those who are courteous and treat their dietary preference as an onus on themself. There has to be a vegan who says, "Y'know, I'll make a dish for me to eat at our put luck. Tell your mother not to worry about what I'll eat!" There has to a vegetarian who goes to a restaurant and politely asks questions about the menu and realizes the mushroom dish is likely their best, non-meat tainted option (instead of loudly proclaiming "UGH! I DON'T LIKE MUSHROOMS!"). There has to be vegetarians/vegans like this.

But I've not met them.
Syq

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Cheesus posted:

But I've not met them.

How many of the other kind have you met? It seems like you have some very strong feelings about vegans/vegetarians, so I assume you have had many experiences like what you described. Personally, I don't think that I've witnessed anything like what you've described outside of movies and tv shows. I've only been vegetarian for 4 years but have had several vegetarian friends throughout college and beyond. I have had to send food back for being obviously wrong (e.g. tofu stir fry made with chicken instead), but I can't recall a single event in a restaurant where someone made a scene over dietary restrictions.

Also, why does what other people choose to eat matter to you? Unless they're asking you to cook for them, in which case I suggest that you politely decline if you don't want to accommodate their requests.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cheesus posted:

But I've not met them.

Username / post combo for the ages.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Cheesus posted:

But I've not met them.

I have bad news for you about how the company you keep is a reflection the self, OP. The only vegetarians/vegans I've met like that are otherwise generally huge assholes.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Some people diligently control what they eat out of spiritual/moral belief, or dietary necessity.

Some people are in a constant desperate struggle for identity and attention.

Who are we to judge the difference? Ultimately, it's their problem (lol yes I've worked in food service, and yes the customer is an idiot but switching knives and sanitizing things was just part of the job).

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Lol that guy only gets invited to the potluck for assholes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
No one get's invited to potlucks here. Pretty sure it's just a US thing.

I assume it's where everyone smokes a lot of pot then gets lucky.

So like a hippy orgy or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

McDonald's already does this.

This is possibly the most effete out of touch liberal sentence I have ever said, but...

I don't really eat McDonald's, but I read in the New Yorker about how McDonald's was making a huge pivot to building up a userbase on their app. You can still get original dollar menu items for a dollar, regularly get 40% to 60% off on random menu items, and free fries with most orders on the app. Drive through workers are also supposed to always ask you if you are using the app today.

If you go to McDonald's today without an app, much like going to a grocery store today without a membership card, you will be getting reamed with the highest prices.
Huh, shows how out of touch I am too lol.

Don't think I've been in McD's in years and (diet/swole reasons, not elitism or anything) so completely missed they're already doing this. Probably an effective way of price discrimination in line with the old coupon tradition.

Cheesus posted:

But I've not met them.
:hmmyes:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Cheesus posted:

Potato salad and green bean casseroles are both probably not vegetarian and never vegan unless specifically made to be. Also, those are side dishes, not main courses, and listing those specifically as "vegetarian" options means that there will absolutely not be anything more substantial or healthy available. If you're organizing a get-together then yes, the onus is on you to make sure that everyone has something to eat, that's what hosting is about.

The point of a potluck is that everyone shares food! If you invite a friend to a potluck and tell them that literally the only thing they can eat is what they specifically brought, they're not actually participating in the potluck. If you don't care enough about this person to make sure that they actually have a good time, then why are you even inviting them? Going a little out of your way to provide for a friend is, like, the minimum bar for being friends.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

quote:

taint of meat

Jokes on them, the taint is a superior cut. In some cultures it's a delicacy!

*editor* Perineyum!

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 1, 2024

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I know some militant vegans and they invite me to their get-togethers and the food is always great and flavourful. And the few times I was cooking for my vegan friend I made vegan taco salad with a meat replacement and he was perfectly happy with it

Sorry, you're among assholes who by complete accident are also vegans OP.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Karia posted:

If you don't care enough about this person to make sure that they actually have a good time, then why are you even inviting them? Going a little out of your way to provide for a friend is, like, the minimum bar for being friends.

I've met people like that. It's a power play based on resentment.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Combine gambling and fast food. Patrons could be charged a random amount from a range and also have a chance at a free frosty or baked potato.

McGachas. Chance of a gold foil wrapper around your burger. Also, the macros on the SSS-tier burger are better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just bid on burgers like airline seat upgrades

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
It seems like if WEN had said dynamic discounts instead of pricing they could have gotten the AI bump without the blowback. Just dumb rear end marketing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If they had anybody with two neurons to rub together they would’ve pitched it as “flash deals”

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They probably were hoping to do some kind of surge pricing, people picked up on that, and now they're scrambling. If they wanted to offer discounts, they'd pitch it as discounts.

Like a dumb notification at 1030 on your phone offering you half price fries if you grab lunch right now. In line with the thread, but some appeal to it if they started with that as the pitch.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

dalstrs posted:

It seems like if WEN had said dynamic discounts instead of pricing they could have gotten the AI bump without the blowback. Just dumb rear end marketing.
You want the stock boost, you gotta say the bubble keywords. In this case the shareholders and the customers needed to be told the exact opposite, and it would work, if only we didn't have "mass media" poking around

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dalstrs posted:

This wasn't marketing, this was an investor call. It makes sense that they'd use the official business school jargon for it, rather than a marketing term.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tesla to introduce dog mode for most models.

Conceptually, this seems like a good idea. It's an EV, so not spitting out emissions if you have to run in to a grocery store briefly while Fido is in your car. It lets bystanders know that the car is being cooled/heated while you're away, so they don't panic (assuming they check the screen). I can see it going horribly wrong, and for people to use it when kids are in the vehicle as well. :smith: Not looking forward to those stories.

Mar 2, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Conceptually, this seems like a good idea. It's an EV, so not spitting out emissions if you have to run in to a grocery store briefly while Fido is in your car. It lets bystanders know that the car is being cooled/heated while you're away, so they don't panic (assuming they check the screen). I can see it going horribly wrong, and for people to use it when kids are in the vehicle as well. :smith: Not looking forward to those stories.

Is it possible to use the parking lot summon feature to have the car drive up to you from the parking lot with dog mode on?

If so, where can I buy tuxedos for dogs? And anyone have tips on getting a dog to wear and keep sunglasses on?

Asking for a friend.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought this has already been a standard Tesla thing for years. Are they just rolling this out to different models?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Vegetable posted:

I thought this has already been a standard Tesla thing for years. Are they just rolling this out to different models?

The email I received about it made it sound new, but I could have misread it. First time I'm hearing about it, at least.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

The email I received about it made it sound new, but I could have misread it. First time I'm hearing about it, at least.

Trap sprung

Sorry about your death car

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vegetable posted:

Yeah, it was their solution to using non automotive grade touch screens that would break and ooze gunk all over the place in the heat.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

Cheesus posted:

etc

Fwiw I was a vegetarian for a long time and I always thought the 'I won't eat it if it's touched meat' stuff was silly. It's usually a moral choice, not an allergy, and you're just taking kitchen space away from people with actual health concerns. When I accidentally got served meat I'd either give it to a friend or just eat it because food waste is bad and it's not like throwing the meat out is gonna unkill the animal.

That said, meat-eaters are the most entitled by a country mile.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Didn't see this posted yet: Article about Google's ongoing enshittification

It seems the SEO battle has been won by the sketchy side... and Google doesn't give a poo poo :shrug:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I know I am kicking a wave in an attempt to stop the tide when it comes to trying to keep threads from going on food derails, but please take posts about the morality of veganism/vegetarianism to the thread specifically for it.

Posts about Wendy's horrible debut of dynamic pricing or news about Impossible Burger technology or whatever are welcome to stay here.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

jaete posted:

Didn't see this posted yet: Article about Google's ongoing enshittification

It seems the SEO battle has been won by the sketchy side... and Google doesn't give a poo poo :shrug:

Web rings are going to make a comeback.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Web rings are going to make a comeback.

Good :colbert:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcH7fHtqGYM

God I loving hope that snake eats itself

Also if you don't follow Sabine she's an amazing skeptical voice and stays pretty grounded compared to many science channels.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcH7fHtqGYM

God I loving hope that snake eats itself

Also if you don't follow Sabine she's an amazing skeptical voice and stays pretty grounded compared to many science channels.

I'm sure this was discussed previously, but there are active efforts to develop technology to combat generative AI. The article linked specifically talks about Nightshade, which is a poison pill technology designed for use in images to render the models like Midjourney ineffective and damage future iterations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

A package that bolts onto training workflows and automatically runs a Nightshade counter on any pictures you feed it was released the next day. At least text model collapse is very real and very welcome, practically every large open-source LLM will easily regurgitate GPT's safety responses.

(happy one year anniversary to model collapse discourse btw. not ironic, tech press talking in circles about this since 2022 means there's no meaningful progress, which is good)