Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

EasilyConfused posted:

How does one have a surprise referendum? Does the government secretly go to everyone's house in the middle of the night and ask them what their vote is?
I dunno, same way Russia does.

mobby_6kl posted:

You just announce that 100% voted for it
Yeah like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

mobby_6kl posted:

Did they actually say something? We absolutely can't allow russia to annex another bit in the middle of europe and then threaten everyone with noooooks if we don't let them fly in a ton of mobiks and military equipment

Sounds like something Putin would say of NATO

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/E7tzwz3.mp4

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

shadow puppet of a posted:

Is it still being confined that these are military pilot losses and Russia is not strapping fresh minted commercial aviation co-pilots and arcade machine hi score setters into ejection seats?

Russian recruiters are the T-1000, scouring the Galleria for the best After Burner players

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Send in two more planes

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Putin is giving his annual speech, he is already threatening the West with missile strikes :words:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

Putin is giving his annual speech, he is already threatening the West with missile strikes :words:

MUUUUH NOOOOOOOKS

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That is great to hear they're making some progress on shooting down Russian jets. 10 in 10 days is a drat good start. If they can maintain that pace, or even "just" half that, for a while (couple of months, month and a half???) its going to make a difference.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's an incredibly flattering picture of the imp.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1763146978999837076#m
Curse the invisible Ukrainians that did this :qq:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I get the feeling that the recent spate of Russian aircraft being shot down, is less to do with the fact Ukraine is getting better at air defense (which it clearly is to be fair - those Patriot ambushes are innovative and daring tactics), and more to do with Russia taking more risks with its air units.

I get the sense they want to press their current perceived 'advantage' following Avdiivka and use their air force less conservatively, to try and exploit their 'victory'. Its underperformed for much of the war.

And even if it doesn't create a breakthrough (it won't) or have a big military impact, it still helps (combined with stuff like the current US political paralysis over aid) influence international narratives toward ones that see the momentum as being with Russia.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

This will look very familiar to anyone who has played Snowrunner.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

At some point all the plummeting airframes and resulting all-immolating fireballs on the ground will cause Ukraine a real headache in avgas sodden scorched-earth abatement costs years down the line.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KarinaVinnikova/status/1763195474469675196

Sounds like Putin hurt Tucker Carlson's feelings, lmao.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1763229490866430166#m

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Wait, since when are we back to calling everyone “Comrade”?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vengarr posted:

Wait, since when are we back to calling everyone “Comrade”?

It never ended, tovarich.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

:five:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

Send in two more planes

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Massive queues for Navalny's funeral. They're some brave people imo, wouldn't be surprised if Putin cracks down on it. (Though western diplomats in the queue might reduce the chances)

Over quarter of a million people watching it online too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

not to be outdone Putin will queue up Tucker Carlson's funeral

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

not to be outdone Putin will queue up Tucker Carlson's funeral

You think he'll get a mausoleum on the red square?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stolen shopping cart

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Buried now then dug up tonight and dumped in a ditch

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Icept posted:

You think he'll get a mausoleum on the red square?

After his recent comments that 'denazification' as a reason for war is bullshit? Lead coffin to contain the radiation is more likely

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Will be interesting to see if this has any impact on the upcoming election.

Not the results, which are a foregone conclusion of course. But in how smoothly the elections pass.

The legitimacy test is whether they can get away with rigging them without too much protest/fuss.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Roblo posted:

Massive queues for Navalny's funeral. They're some brave people imo, wouldn't be surprised if Putin cracks down on it. (Though western diplomats in the queue might reduce the chances)

Over quarter of a million people watching it online too.

depends how smart putin is, if he is smart, he lets it all play out and then quietly destroys the body ina month or two. but knowing him now, he might just sich the cops on them.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tigey posted:

Will be interesting to see if this has any impact on the upcoming election.

Not the results, which are a foregone conclusion of course. But in how smoothly the elections pass.

The legitimacy test is whether they can get away with rigging them without too much protest/fuss.

The gasoline export ban shows that there are some jitters in the Kremlin. It's no way in panic area but there is definitely jitters.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1763482622934634807#m

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I know they're probably all recon drones or used in dispersed strikes across the various fronts and the like, but I can't help but picture the Drone weapons from Stargate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXuaCaLmtX8

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So I have seen quite a few combat videos out of Ukraine and these are easily the most terrifying weapons of war this generation.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

TescoBag posted:

So I have seen quite a few combat videos out of Ukraine and these are easily the most terrifying weapons of war this generation.

Was watching civdiv today and realised that drones are going to be the new chopper for ptsd'd veterans.

Well, in ukraine at least but theres going to be a bunch of foreign legion coming home eventually.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Are these FPV drones still modified Chinese drones, or are they actually manufacturing them themselves?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

poor waif posted:

Are these FPV drones still modified Chinese drones, or are they actually manufacturing them themselves?

I don't know for sure but it's not like it's particularly difficult to DIY them. Some components like cameras might be still sourced externally, possibly in China but not necessarily I suppose

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1763551616282538238#m
xaxaxaxa all missiles got shot down, no you can't ask us about the plumes of smoke

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1763551616282538238#m
xaxaxaxa all missiles got shot down, no you can't ask us about the plumes of smoke

Actually, I read that all the missiles were aimed at the bridge and got shot down mid-flight, just as they were passing extra low over the air base.
Any exploding at the air base is entirely coincidental smoking accidents at the time.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OzyMandrill posted:

Actually, I read that all the missiles were aimed at the bridge and got shot down mid-flight, just as they were passing extra low over the air base.
Any exploding at the air base is entirely coincidental smoking accidents at the time.

Its a smoke blume to indicate that they have elected a new base commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

I'm sorry but this is an objectively, laugh out loud stupid choice of music.

e: link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-68427413

wit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 1, 2024