Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Looper posted:

sword might not be the worst weapon (that's spear) but it is the lamest

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Try shield, my first time beating Hades was with that one.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Looper posted:

sword might not be the worst weapon (that's spear) but it is the lamest

Hade's Spear with the aoe hammer clears the entire screen with one spin. You don't know what you're missing.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Use the gun and spam bombs

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I can't remember what I paid for mine, but I got it in late 01 after seeing pikmin at my buddy Craig's house.
Maybe $149 in 2001 money? I know I paid $29.99 for my gameboy player with the disc though. (not that you need the disc these days)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I really dread getting a switch 2, it's probably going to be a nightmare securing a preorder

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I’m interested into seeing what the upgrades are actually going to be :shobon:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I really dread getting a switch 2, it's probably going to be a nightmare securing a preorder

I've been doing this forty years. Just go park at a GameStop on the morning the announcement direct is gonna be, wait for it to come on, and walk in and pre-order. Every store will get at least a few and you'll be first in line

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Honestly I’ve just gone to Walmart at midnight for every single Nintendo console launch since the N64 and now I’m worried what I’m gonna do since most(?) Walmarts stopped being 24hr after COVID.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Would rather not walk into a Gamestop than get a Switch 2 tbh.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
In spite of being the starting weapon , I think the sword is the hardest one to use well in Hades. It doesn't have range to let you poke and stay safe, and it's also not as fast and spammy as some of the others. You have to commit to the attacks more and they tend to leave you kinda vulnerable, so you've gotta have more precision and timing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just follow wario64 and click the secret backdoor amazon link he posts and preorder. Its how I got a PS5 at launch unfortunately

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am never using x

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

otter posted:

I had such high hopes and goals for finishing games until tragedy struck my family this week. I started playing Slay the Spire, and then got my youngest kid and my brother playing it. Despite having it on gamepass and Apple Arcade I went and bought the switch cart.

I'm glad you have discovered the best game ever made

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

American McGay posted:

Honestly I’ve just gone to Walmart at midnight for every single Nintendo console launch since the N64 and now I’m worried what I’m gonna do since most(?) Walmarts stopped being 24hr after COVID.
I seem to have stumbled into the opposite strategy.
Buying Nintendo systems right before they're discontinued.
Prior to the "retro games collecting" speculation bubble, this would usually allow me to buy used carts of well regarded games for less. They'd all be new to me.
Getting a switch a couple years ago is the first time my system has had more than a year of market life left in it since the 90s.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

RC Cola posted:

I'm glad you have discovered the best game ever made

I told my brother, "Sorry about your new hobby".

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A Robot Named Fight is on the easier side of Rogue likes, took me about five tries for my first successful run. Gameplay is like Metroid.

I love roguelikes, roguelites, and metroidvania.

I detest A Robot Named fight. I put a few hours into it a year or so ago and I did not have fun.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

B33rChiller posted:

Prior to the "retro games collecting" speculation bubble, this would usually allow me to buy used carts of well regarded games for less. They'd all be new to me.
Getting a switch a couple years ago is the first time my system has had more than a year of market life left in it since the 90s.

I've consistently gotten consoles when the refresh came out, usually getting the original at used prices, and it's served me pretty well. OLED switch we got as a gift , but my kid is so into the switch that I'm not sure if it'll be better to just get the switch2 for him and save for christmas or what. I don't want to end up like one of those parents who ends up paying $300 extra for a console because of stock shortages.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wildtortilla posted:

I detest A Robot Named fight. I put a few hours into it a year or so ago and I did not have fun.

Maybe it's for people who don't like rogue likes, because I don't but I liked this one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played breath of the wild on wii u and later picked up a mario odyssey switch pretty easily

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I like all of those and was unreasonably hooked. Got everything, will never play again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

B33rChiller posted:

same.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Heh, sushi strikers was the only game to release on 3ds after I bought mine. (The SNES version with og mariokart included)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh cool, mind giving recommendations on easy/accessible roguelikes for the Switch? Even if not initially easy, if I can become OP by some point, that'd be the best.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The way I got an OLED was to call every GameStop in town Monday afternoon after its release, and found one that had been returned (unopened) by a scalper that bought out their entire stock on Friday but couldn't move enough units over the weekend.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

lol, is that true?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Have any Nintendo first party or second party studios had mass layoffs?

Not really, Japan doesnt have any 'right to work' laws, so Japanese businesses have a very difficult time terminating employees without cause. They go the more overwork someone and make life for them difficult so they quit route. So either the problem resolves itself or they get a better return on the salary.

They also don't really deal with the hedge funds that demand the mass layoffs that are happening in most US based companies. You can buy shares of Nintendo on the NYSE but it's worth only 1/8 of a share bought through the Tokyo stock exchange that nominally only allows trade through Japanese nationals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like roguelikes, I like Metroid, and I like A Robot Named Fight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I also like Balatro, and I finally won a loving game.

It was a combination of leveling up one/two pairs, having a Joker that boosted total multiplier based on having uncommon Jokers. and having a couple other uncommon Jokers that also boosted multipliers (based on blinds skipped and playing cards added).

Glad I bought the "reroll a boss blind for $10" voucher, my final boss blind would've rerolled my jokers which would've killed my run dead, but luckily I ended up with "boss blind is just really loving big" which I could actually handle this time.

Nice tip, knowing the difference between the two types of multipliers is important, as I believe is the order of your jokers!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morter posted:

Oh cool, mind giving recommendations on easy/accessible roguelikes for the Switch? Even if not initially easy, if I can become OP by some point, that'd be the best.

Tangledeep is fun and somewhat complex but you can make very silly and op builds once you know what's going on.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I love Streets of Rogue for the amount of stuff you can pull off by thinking creatively. Don't know what a mystery syringe does? Jab it into the AC unit at a bank and find out! Oops, it was poison. Better them than you, and free money!

I like playing as the Vampire, because they can't be spotted by security cameras and every single NPC on the map becomes a roaming health juice box.

The other classes are fun, and can completely change up your play style. The Comedian is a pet class that starts with nothing but a burger, liquor, and drugs in his pockets, lol.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The only time I beat Streets of Rogue was playing as a gorilla.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ten days later… I’ve finally beaten a game of Balatro 🫡🫡🫡🫡🫡

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

ten days later… I’ve finally beaten a game of Balatro 🫡🫡🫡🫡🫡

We loving did it

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Tangledeep is fun and somewhat complex but you can make very silly and op builds once you know what's going on.

Yeah but it really requires getting into the nitty-gritty of it all. However, it does have good ways to ease difficulty if irc.

Morter posted:

Children of Morta is 100% your game. You have 6 characters to run through dungeons (with a friend if you want). The stage are randomized and you pick up little boosts that always make you better at killing mooks. It plays a bit like a Gauntlet game imo, though other people say it's more Diablo-like. Either way 6 slightly different play styles with persistent upgrades that will let you beat the game no matter what. What kept me above the difficulty curve was running each dungeon with each character. Kept them all about the same level and always strong.

You really should try Hades again. I know I already said it but I was phone-posting. The aforementioned God Mode will give you more def. and HP to take on the challenge and you definitely can upgrade the mirror enough (and your weapons!) to beat poo poo at the original heat no matter what. Yes you have to sort of synergize things a bit, but it's rather simple and no combo is truly bad. The weapons are all varied enough to allow you to find the one you like and I'm sure you can beat it.

Into the Breach roguelite-turn based strategy game. It has several difficulty settings with Easy being definitely easy. It doesn't really have persistent upgrades however, each run gives you a bunch of things you can purchase throughout letting you customize each run to better fit your team. That team? loving mechas. Definitely one of the best strategy games on the console and incredibly hard to put down. I think you can really fall down a rabbit hole on this one. Being turn-based it's pretty simple to take it slow.

SIFU roguelite? Not quite but it does have persistent upgrades. Incredibly good 3D beat 'em up. But it is hard. Very hard. I can't beat the final boss and I've gotten to him with like full health. I just can't touch him and I don't feel like figuring out how...

Streets of Rage 4's DLC is a loving roguelite with upgrades per run. None of it is persistent but it's quite fun. Also you get one of the best if not best, 2D beat 'em up on the market!

A Robot Called Fight there are upgrades, but I don't remember how many are persistent quite honestly. And the game is not that easy. I loved it but it does take a bit.

Tangledeep is a beautiful product but I found it not obvious... However, besides barely understanding it I did finish it thanks to the accessibility options. So A+ there.

It's been years since I tried Rogue Legacy but it also a roguelite with the original persistent upgrades. Again, keep platforming and swinging that blade, you'll win eventually. Your characters have genetic traits that they can pass on which is neat. I've heard the sequel is just that but even more and better, so definitely one to check out.

I think that's all I got myself.

Wasn't planning on getting Splatoon 3 DLC and I'm still sort of torn. If it's not as good or developed as Hades, it'd probably bug me... and it seems to be the case. Like just how many times can you really play it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Have any Nintendo first party or second party studios had mass layoffs?
The whole thing with Nintendo second party studios is that they basically operate on a gentleman's agreement that they'll make games exclusively for Nintendo, and in exchange, Nintendo will consistently provide them with work. But they're not actually owned by Nintendo so there's some distance where the success/failure of the studio is distanced from Nintendo themselves. In other words, instead of mass layoffs, studios go bankrupt and close. See AlphaDream.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The way Nintendo accomplishes layoffs is by moving locations. For example they changed their marketing department a couple years ago from California based to Washington based. Technically nobody was being laid off and there were even relocation packages, but they knew a lot of people would decline to move and resign.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how long before switch profiles start showing your play time. 10 days in and i wanna see how long all the bros have been playing balatro :hehe:

I was under the impression it was seven days

Which reminds me of the Friday after TotK released and all of us got to gape in awe/horror at the gameplay times some of our friends had racked up in one week, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
ToTK played time tracked hours awake for a while there.