Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
OpenMW has better animations :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There isn't an animation made that's better than the default argonian stride.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There isn't an animation made that's better than the default argonian stride.

:hmmyes:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

for some reason i've got this irrational fear of trying to put tamriel rebuilt over my already-modded copy of morrowind, despite intellectually knowing that they should work fine (or at least troubleshootably) together. the installation guidelines even say to just rearrange the load order!!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Doing my first real TR only playthrough and

1: the level design is wonderful and beautiful
2. I want to kill everyone in akamora

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

for some reason i've got this irrational fear of trying to put tamriel rebuilt over my already-modded copy of morrowind, despite intellectually knowing that they should work fine (or at least troubleshootably) together. the installation guidelines even say to just rearrange the load order!!

Do it. If you’re using Mod Organizer adding and removing it is just a few clicks. Make a hard save, add it, and just see. At worse you’re out 15 minutes of work.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I want to install TR but I too am worried about what happens to the fragile list of mods I have.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

I want to install TR but I too am worried about what happens to the fragile list of mods I have.

Unless you're running morrowind rebirth (you should never do this) or a mod adding land around morrowind, it's compatible with almost everything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

A Morrowind save is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with three duplicates of every NPC in Balmora, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow, what a game!"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cantorsdust posted:

Do it. If you’re using Mod Organizer adding and removing it is just a few clicks. Make a hard save, add it, and just see. At worse you’re out 15 minutes of work.

And if you're not using Mod Organizer, you can for just TR. It will identify your modlist as locally installed plugins and you can still add the TR stuff on top of them, taking advantage of the virtual directory.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I dipped my toes in tamriel rebuilt, made a new character that started in Old Ebonheart fighters guild, was disconcerted to see an adamantium helmet just sitting on a relatively unprotected shelf 😬

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

I dipped my toes in tamriel rebuilt, made a new character that started in Old Ebonheart fighters guild, was disconcerted to see an adamantium helmet just sitting on a relatively unprotected shelf 😬

When you say "that started in", did you COC in console, or a mod, or what?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I used "CREL" aka Chargen Revamped - Expanded Lands, mentioned in the below post!

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

Something that really works for me is using an alternate start mod (such as the excellent CREL), starting in the Mainland, and just not touching the main quest at all. Give yourself a goal, such as completing a local quest chain, and go from there. This leads to somewhat shorter playthroughs, but a lot of build variety, which can be a lot of fun!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I think this mod has been mentioned before in the thread, but I wanted to share this video because I thought it was so cool: The Joy of Painting Morrowind
I love this so much

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

a7m2 posted:

I love this so much

Just how far can you take Morrowind modding now? Could I have Morrowind notify me, in game, when my phone gets a notification? What about an in game browser that lets me post on Vivecbb.net?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Node posted:

Just how far can you take Morrowind modding now? Could I have Morrowind notify me, in game, when my phone gets a notification? What about an in game browser that lets me post on Vivecbb.net?

I'm not quite sure if you could do with a normal mod, but with OpenMW source you can do whatever you want basically.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not quite sure if you could do with a normal mod, but with OpenMW source you can do whatever you want basically.

I pray some day the great schism is mended, so OpenMW and LUA scripting joins into one church.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wait for the day I can play skyrim in a morrowind dream sequence

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Node posted:

I pray some day the great schism is mended, so OpenMW and LUA scripting joins into one church.

The great schism is that the OpenMW developers are very good at what they do but are also extremely stupid and have repeatedly rejected the opportunity to include MWSE etc because it isn't part of their pure vision. The MWSE guys are happy to work with them lol

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wait for the day I can play skyrim in a morrowind dream sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnsT7ectSI

on the topic of fragile software, I switched to openmw and never looked back because I don't have the patience in tyool 2024 for bethesda's house-of-cards programming style. I'm ok with missing out on a few mods and have a game that literally never crashes

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oh my god, I am trying to install TR and I am so muddled up. I want the music, but that needs MUSE2, which needs MGE XE, which needs Morrowind code patch. Is there anywhere that has a step by step guide on how to do this. What is OpenMW? I've got something called the Mod Organiser, which I've not looked at for years. This is my current list of stuff and I am not sure what is or is not compatible with Tamriel Rebuilt. I am massively struggling to figure it out. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Oh my god, I am trying to install TR and I am so muddled up. I want the music, but that needs MUSE2, which needs MGE XE, which needs Morrowind code patch. Is there anywhere that has a step by step guide on how to do this. What is OpenMW? I've got something called the Mod Organiser, which I've not looked at for years. This is my current list of stuff and I am not sure what is or is not compatible with Tamriel Rebuilt. I am massively struggling to figure it out. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head because my last computer died a year ago and I haven't reinstalled since:

Morrowind Code Patch is an exe that directly patches Morrowind's exe to fix code level bugs. Default options should be fine but you can look through a number of QoL options and see if there's anything you want. This gets run outside of Mod Organizer.

MGE XE is a combination of graphics enhancements plus the Morrowind Script Extender (MWSE). There are a lot of graphics options. Download and run the installer. Choose to update MWSE if prompted. If you have Mod Organizer installed, then once MGE XE is installed, you need to run the main MGE XE exe through Mod Organizer so that it generates its configuration in the right place. Select the "Morrowind" drop down button in the upper right there and choose to add a new exe. MGE XE has its own set of instructions when you run it, but it's mostly about 1) configuring graphics and 2) generating distant land so you can see more than 1 cell away.

MUSE 2 is just a regular mod that can be added to the mods folder in Mod Organizer 2 and lets you run the Tamriel Rebuilt music expansion. You don't strictly need the music expansion as far as I know, though.

OpenMW is a completely new engine made to replace Morrowind that allows you to run the game files with modern features and stability. Like OpenTTD etc. But it's not compatible with any mods requiring Morrowind Script Extender (eg most mods with complex scripting) because its developers still stubbornly refuse to support it despite the fact that if they did, I would consider OpenMW to be the definitive way to play Morrowind.

Once everything is installed, don't forget to register your BSAs for Tamriel Rebuilt.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

Once everything is installed, don't forget to register your BSAs for Tamriel Rebuilt.

This shows up at the top of that page:

quote:

Note! Tamriel_Data no longer uses BSA files; it is now shipped as an archive of loose files instead. Hence, the below does not apply any longer. If you are having issues with errors or missing meshes and textures, try re-installing the latest version of Tamriel_Data.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It appears past me had done a lot of these things, I have the code patch and MWSE / XE. I think I have done it. It loaded up and I can see all the new landmass on my map. I haven't played Morrowind in years! I am hoping to capture some of that 2002 absolute awe I felt playing it for the first time. I genuinely can't think of a game that has come close to how Morrowind was on release.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Any recommendations for alternative death mods? I found a few, but they mostly seem pretty boring.

e: I'm currently in the process of installing Morrowind++ in case that matters

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 2, 2024

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

This shows up at the top of that page:

lol gently caress that's what I get for doing it off the top of my head. I haven't had to reinstall Morrowind in years and am dreading having to put it all together again on the new computer tbh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's still a good habit to get into, it's not like registering BSAs breaks anything and they are used by other mods sometimes.

BSA is just an archive of data files like textures etc., and "registering it" just means using some utility to make sure all those archives in your mod folder are listed in the .ini (this can also be done manually, same as you can enable plugins manually)

They're also used in the newer games but I think at least in the newer Skyrims it's automatic? It's been a few years since my last big Skyrim install.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 2, 2024

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It's still a good habit to get into, it's not like registering BSAs breaks anything and they are used by other mods sometimes.

BSA is just an archive of data files like textures etc., and "registering it" just means using some utility to make sure all those archives in your mod folder are listed in the .ini (this can also be done manually, same as you can enable plugins manually)

They're also used in the newer games but I think at least in the newer Skyrims it's automatic? It's been a few years since my last big Skyrim install.

Lol registering the tr bsas does literally nothing now besides waste your time. They were dropped because remembering that crap is a waste of time and an unnecessary hurdle. Tes3's bsa format doesn't even improve load time, its a mildly compressed index of loose files which is why dropping it rules.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I don't mean it does anything for TR, but if you have other mods using BSAs and don't register them you'll get crashes and stuff.

It's also like 5 seconds.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 2, 2024

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Balancing the game by spamming guard placements to prevent the habits of kleptomaniac minmaxers isn't the TR vision lol. There are a few very strong items "laying about" in the style of the sword of white woe. Old TR was overly self conscious and scared to give the player anything remotely powerful or interesting, which meant exploring the environment wasn't nearly as rewarding as any random tomb on vvardenfell. In my tenure as quest czar I made it a point to break this habit and actually add things like artifacts and daedric loot to places.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

I don't mean it does anything for TR, but if you have other mods using BSAs and don't register them you'll get crashes and stuff.

It's also like 5 seconds.

I can't think of a single other mod that uses a separate bsa and I'm a morrowind fanatic.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I have like 4, YMMV. Wizard Islands maybe? Some other ones too.

You can extract them instead I guess.

e: Yeah Wizard Islands does:

Readme posted:

For Installation, simply browse to your main morrowind folder. After the installation, a program (Bsareg.exe) will ask you to register the Wizards_Islands archive inside the morrowind Ini. It is essential that you click on "Update" and then "OK" after the ini has been updated. Also, make sure you select the Wizards Island - Scourge of the Frost Bringer.ESM. You can do this by starting Morrowind Launcher and selecting Data files.
If an errors occurs and the program does not work on your windows version, you can also update the Morrowind.ini file located in the main morrowind folder by adding this line under [Archives] :
Archive 1=Wizards_Islands.bsa ; (Number must be changed according to the number of registered archives.)
This is an example of how it should look if you installed Morrowind and Tribunal without any mods :
[Archives]
Archive 0=Tribunal.bsa
Archive 1=Wizards_Islands.bsa

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 2, 2024

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home. My limbs grow weak and weary as my eyes drift skyward in defeat. I remember how warm the earth felt, as I lived and breathed next to her beating heart. I remember enough to keep searching through an ocean of tears, raised to astronomical depths. My dreams offer solace, where I return to distant, faded times. Through trees entwined with cool autumn air, my sorrow is lured by fragrant, bittersweet memories. I am at home as much as my world and consciousness allow. I remember falling into the most beautiful lake I've ever experienced. She swallowed me whole, like a droplet, and I was enraptured and enwombed within her bliss. The lonely windswept desert sky of my soul was filled by her luminous stars and warmed by her sunlit radiance. I gazed downward in awe and saw it all reflected in the shimmering ripples dancing and playing about the surface. It appeared to me as real as the very wonders it was reflecting. I stepped forward to prove to no one and everyone that they were, by belief. For an aching instant I was betwixt the two and the summation. Confusion befell me and I fell through, only to realize I hadn't entered the lake, I had left it. With all of my remaining life I howled at the heavens and collapsed, like a star on the shores of my youth, as my life's breath wandered away from the home it had harbored. I have been drowning on dry land ever since.

I lay there, coital, for heaven knows how long. I felt eons ebb and flow in the spans of seconds. I lived as intently as I could in those endless instants, as the boredom of -after- droned on and on. The fires of my heart grew dim and became only the faintest embers of the roaring blaze they had once been. My limbs, heavy with the weight of the world, protested. I felt the longing of this life which slowly began to ease the agony in my heart. As I was gradually nursed back to health, knowledge of record and history tried desperately to fill the yawning, nauseous chasm of my soul. I began to know the deadpan search for freedom and forgetfulness, and I released the hold on my life. Though it still lurched, pained, in front of me, I just stared back with tired, vacant eyes as if watching the most fascinating of nothing. My mind drifted, only to be slammed back reluctantly, repeatedly, and painfully by those I vaguely remember knowing, as if from a different life and age. I try, in vain, to forgive and forget myself as I paste on those plaster smiles and strain to look levelly. I remember. I forget. I forget again. I remember less. I am saddened at the thought that I have forgotten. I am not who I used to be. Though it pained me so, I was never so real as those lonely, lost times of my undoing. I am torn asunder at the thought of losing forever that, which has changed my life eternally, and that which I fear in the depths of my soul will never be again. That, which has gifted me with more pain than I have ever known in all of my lives or all of the lives that I know through my own.

Who am I to ask this of you?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sure. Thash what I said? Did I stutter or shomethin? Talking. Mudcrab. Merchant. Read my lips. Ehr. Mouthparts? Read my mouthparts? Shomethin ain't right. But never mind. Jush one-a life's little myshteries. So. You gonna buy shomethin? Or sit here jawin' all day.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah tamriel rebuilt just slid effortlessly into the data files list, no troubleshooting needed. it's great

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJD-Ufi1jGk
PC CD-ROM apotheosis

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, I can't find bed rolls, waterskins, or flint and steel for sale in Old Ebonheart. I would have thought Ashfall would have added them to the general lists that merchants have? I've checked pawn brokers, general goods dealers, and an outfitter. I really don't want to travel back to Vvardenfell just to get the basics.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Been playing starwind and major kudos for what it is but the game is rough basically past the first planet.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, I can't find bed rolls, waterskins, or flint and steel for sale in Old Ebonheart. I would have thought Ashfall would have added them to the general lists that merchants have? I've checked pawn brokers, general goods dealers, and an outfitter. I really don't want to travel back to Vvardenfell just to get the basics.

You can solve this easily by climbing into the Mod Configuration Menu (a new option you should see when you press the escape button or on the main menu, assuming you have MWSE properly installed and enabled) and looking for an option under Ashfall that allows you to choose which merchants to add to a "white list" of suppliers. Your best bet would be to go to the merchant in question, click on them via the console (tilde "~") and check what their ref ID is (for TR it'll typically be something like "TR_M2_John_Doe"). Then, go into the aforementioned MCM menu for Ashfall and add that merchant ID to the white list.

After that, you'll want to exit the cell that the merchant is in (should be easy if they're in an interior) and then re-enter. They should now have the supplies you want. To streamline this, you may wanna go to the TR wiki and check out who the merchants are for a particular city so you can just quickly add them all to the white list.

Hope that made sense!

hifi posted:

Been playing starwind and major kudos for what it is but the game is rough basically past the first planet.

Agreed. It's badly written and I fell off after a few planets.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

Hope that made sense!

Oh dang, I hadn't thought of that at all. Yes, that does help, thanks!