Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm Canadian (actually a dual citizen), and I'm living in Canada. There are at least two locations in walking distance of my apartment, and four I can walk to from my office.

Is Windsor like the Duane Reade gag from 30 Rock these days? It's been a while since I've been that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Couldn't tell you, I'm in Calgary.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
why do you need an app to buy a doughnut :rolleyes:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't need an app for the doughnut. I'll just give you the money, and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My Pixel 5a is still performing wonderfully, but I can think of 3 apps that challenge it - Outlook, Teams, and by far the worst is the Tim Horton's app. Everything else though works just fine.

There's an Outlook Lite app you might want to try if the regular app is too slow for you.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

other people posted:

why do you need an app to buy a doughnut :rolleyes:

:goonsay:

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't need an app for the doughnut. I'll just give you the money, and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction.

:goonsay:

I like being able to place my order in advance so I can walk in, grab my order, and walk out. End of transaction, no waiting in line.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I am trying to sell a pixel 7 and a watch 5 for what I think is a reasonably good deal. This is both me shilling my SA mart post, but, also double checking my prices as being "a good deal" since I basically just looked at eBay and then came down a chunk and came down a chunk further if someone buys both :shrug:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055421

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

It’s a Mitch Hedberg joke you uncultured swine

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Don't act like I didn't buy that donut. I got the documentation right here. No wait. It's in the filing cabinet. Under "D..." for donut.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ah, my bad for not Googling it just in case before my daily caffeine intake. Got me there!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is it possible to mimic AirPlay from an android?

I just purchased the Sonos One SL which has wifi/AirPlay capability. The salesman at Best Buy was very confident that the AirPlay logo also means the device is Bluetooth compatible.

Any ideas if
1) AirPlay does in fact mean it's bluetooth compatable
2) there is a way to connect andriod to sonos via AirPlay.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is it possible to mimic AirPlay from an android?

I just purchased the Sonos One SL which has wifi/AirPlay capability. The salesman at Best Buy was very confident that the AirPlay logo also means the device is Bluetooth compatible.

Any ideas if
1) AirPlay does in fact mean it's bluetooth compatable
2) there is a way to connect andriod to sonos via AirPlay.

Did you try the Sonos App? Its a wifi speaker.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Only with approved music streaming services, it's terrible

Sonos can get in the bin

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's right on the product page that it can't.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one-sl

"One SL does not have Bluetooth connectivity but streams audio content over your WiFi network. Internet access allows you to stream higher fidelity audio over greater distances, group or pair Sonos speakers, and more."

No, you can't use AirPlay with an Android device.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Won’t solve OPs problem, but sort of related. Here is a nifty program I just set up - it allows you to use your google home/nest devices as airplay compatible speakers.

https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

Been using it the last few days, and it works very well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I hate wi-fi-only speakers. Whatever their other benefits, they just seem to me Trojans to get you to subscribe to music services.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Fortunately my Sonos five has a line in, I can play physical media and then it streams to the rest of the system.

Actually, I suppose I could get a blue tooth dongle to connect to the five via the jack and that would solve my use case.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Chromecast audio would work well too in that case, though I'm not sure they still make them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

withoutclass posted:

Chromecast audio would work well too in that case, though I'm not sure they still make them.

The Chromecast Audio was discontinued more than 5 years ago.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

Plenty to be had on eBay!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I still use mine and it's great

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Max gang rise up!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Greentext jokes I came across just this week.

'Whenever I see a green text, I wonder what bad decisions that person has made to not be able to afford an iPhone.'

'I'll be 100 with you. When I see your green text I think you have an STD.'

'They say that Android users are more honest than iPhone users. I believe that. Because green text tells me you're not willing to even fake being a normal person.'

Last two are from professional comics. First is from a popular TikTok guy. I know it makes little sense not to make these jokes since everyone has one or the other and can chuckle at themselves or the other or the absurdity of taking this so seriously. Still. In 2024?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
what's the deaaaaaAaaL with green text?!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Bright Bart posted:

a popular TikTok guy

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The funniest take I saw on it was the black comic who said he has experienced more discrimination about being a green text than actually being black.

It's still all stupid, but that's part of comics' jobs.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Thing is that unless they're at the tippy-top of the stand-up industry I imagine a solid 50% of all US Android users are wealthier than they are.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm glad I'm old and none of this poo poo matters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not sure how I keep running across the no iPhone crowd.

I was just added to a group chat today with a bunch of people I don't know yet (meeting a friend for a movie and he's bringing a larger group I haven't met) and the chat popped in as RCS, so all android.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Google hasn't made a new speaker in what...5 years? I really hope they don't abandon the line completely; I have a ton of them in my house (90% used for music) and so do my in-laws and parents. All the news around them laying off people on the assistant and hardware teams does not bode well though....

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's been less than 5 years. The current Nest Audio came out 3.5 years ago and the Nest Hub second gen will only have it's third birthday at the end of the month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

March update is out. It's also looking like T-Mobile is holding this one again as it came through on my Pixel Tablet and Pixel 8 that's never seen a SIM, but not my Pixel 8 Pro or Pixel Fold.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
On my S21 links from my discover feed or even just in Chrome sometimes stop trying to load a third or half of the way through the loading bar lately. Anyone else seeing that? Doesn't matter what Wi-Fi I'm on.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

March update is out. It's also looking like T-Mobile is holding this one again as it came through on my Pixel Tablet and Pixel 8 that's never seen a SIM, but not my Pixel 8 Pro or Pixel Fold.

It installed in about half the time of even a regular security update. Those typically take around an hour, this feature update took around 35 minutes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Guessing whatever optimizations of this are live now.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-phones-finally-install-system-updates-much-faster/

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm glad I'm old and none of this poo poo matters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, there are a lot of little UI tweaks in this update.

For example, in the battery usage for the app there it's only two radio buttons now, optimized and unrestricted. However those two options are gated by a switch that allows background usage rather than it being the 3rd radio button "Restricted".

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

bull3964 posted:

Wow, there are a lot of little UI tweaks in this update.

For example, in the battery usage for the app there it's only two radio buttons now, optimized and unrestricted. However those two options are gated by a switch that allows background usage rather than it being the 3rd radio button "Restricted".

This seems bad

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

effika posted:

This seems bad

It's not. It's a lot clearer from a UI perspective.

Before you had 3 radio buttons. Two of the options allowed background usage (either with restrictions or without restrictions), one did not.

So, before you had.

Unrestricted
Optimized
Restricted

Well, that's not clear. If the first option is unrestricted, by definition any other option is Restricted. So, that leaves Optimized in a weird spot because it's technically restricted but it's not as restricted as the actual restricted option.

So, by removing the Restricted radio button and instead chaging that to a switch to "Allow Background Usage", you make it a lot clearer what each thing is doing. You first have to allow background usage, then you can choose if you want that background usage to be Unrestricted or Optmized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Still no update listed on my Pixel 8 Pro. 🤷‍♂️