Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Augus posted:

the problem with the Netflix Cowboy Bebop is that it was trying to be a faithful adaptation but it’s clear the people making it didn’t really understand the series. I’m sure they liked the series but liking a series is different from understanding what makes it tick and why certain decisions were made.
The text scrawled across the background in the title sequence is an easy example of this. In the original opening the text was in English because the text was meant to be reminiscent of the writing you’d see on a jazz album. In the Netflix version, the text is Japanese, because the creators saw liked the aesthetic of the original opening and wanted to recreate that, but misunderstood the “why” of that aesthetic and thought that it was meant to just be cool foreign text.

It's one of those instances where the creatives are too much of a fan of the original and therefore see the best adaptation as the one that most closely resembles it. Costumes and character designs which are suited for animation cells don't always translate well to the physical world. But instead of examining the movies that influenced Bebop, they only studied the anime. It's like trying to learn how to make chili by staring at a completed dish for hours and experimenting with food dyes until it matches

Guardians of the Galaxy was probably the best live-action version of Bebop we can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was thinking specifically of a really obnoxious character who you just kind of accept being there in an anime but seemed completely intolerable in live-action but I don't remember what his name is, I just saw a clip of it

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

I was thinking specifically of a really obnoxious character who you just kind of accept being there in an anime but seemed completely intolerable in live-action but I don't remember what his name is, I just saw a clip of it

click to die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfVGBNjt8VY

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Anime in the first tweet, Planetes, has an episode about how Globalism crushes third world countries and ensures that they will never be allowed to rise above their status and have a seat at the table, no matter how hard they work to distinguish themselves. Big shock, but Noah is an idiot.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Feb 29, 2024

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nichael posted:

As I've said, despite loving Avatar (the bending one, not the alien poo poo one), I can't bring myself to watch the live action show because it feels really weird and unnecessary. I am still going to be an ostensible adult man going to see the animated film next year.

its a pretty faithful remake of the original except with worse acting. i stopped watching once i started to wonder what the point of any of it was

also the casting for azula ia baffling. like why did they make her younger, it completely fucks up their dynamic and its really hard to take seriously a pouty kid as a villain

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The Anime in the first tweet, Planetes, has an episode about how Globalism crushes third world countries and ensures that they will never be allowed to rise above their status and have a seat at the table, no matter how hard they work to distinguish themselves. Big shock, but Noah is an idiot.

globalism is when non white people

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Noah is an idiot.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

behead those who post noah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

Cowboy Bebop is a fun one for doing the hyperactive goofy childish sidekick actually right, since Ed gets just enough appearances for the novelty not to wear off where most anime would run their token comic relief into the loving ground.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

loquacius posted:

its u :twisted:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Well gently caress me but I liked this. As a short clip with no context. A half-hour of this would be exhausting.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

thats the final scene of the show

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the rest of it was worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inVBz0Tv03U

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

see the thing is that this isn’t a case of “over the top thing that worked in anime but not in live action” because the anime version of Ed is actually more grounded than this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haven't watched the original cowboy bebop in like two decades or something so couldn't really remember it properly. I didn't remember Ed being nearly that annoying though.

Looked up a clip and yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyJgQaRop2Y
While still going for annoying kid vibe. it is wayyyy toned done, and the voice isn't nearly as annoying. Also that scene from the new one seems to be shot like poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Quite a lot of Bebop is comparatively grounded, and is probably why it's generally recommended as a gateway anime for Westerners.

I read a middlebrow essay somewhere, I think it was by Jonathan Clements (so an actual published author writing about anime, and not some basement goon), that argued that Sinchiro Watanabe's work, and a lot of studio Manglobe's early stuff that emerged out an attempt to copy his work on Bebop and Samurai Champloo, is generally more liked in the West than in Japan. Hence paying Radiohead to get one of their songs for ErgoProxy, and Watanabe contributing to The AniMatrix.

The Netflix version is very much not in the spirit of the original. I don't hate it, despite it being some godawful camp ("Welcome to the ouch, motherfuckers"), but it's absolutely Tarantino filtered through the lens of Mid-10's Disney "irony". The original's tone is closer to (what I've seen of) Gunsmoke or Route 66, with some Film Noir thrown in.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Weird mental association I just had: the creative team behind the Breaking Bad Cinematic Universe could probably do a decent take on a live-action Bebop. Similar skill at elevated but still grounded characterization, same stories about people tearing themselves apart, same affection for slow panning shots of the desert.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Quite a lot of Bebop is comparatively grounded, and is probably why it's generally recommended as a gateway anime for Westerners.

I read a middlebrow essay somewhere, I think it was by Jonathan Clements (so an actual published author writing about anime, and not some basement goon), that argued that Sinchiro Watanabe's work, and a lot of studio Manglobe's early stuff that emerged out an attempt to copy his work on Bebop and Samurai Champloo, is generally more liked in the West than in Japan. Hence paying Radiohead to get one of their songs for ErgoProxy, and Watanabe contributing to The AniMatrix.

The Netflix version is very much not in the spirit of the original. I don't hate it, despite it being some godawful camp ("Welcome to the ouch, motherfuckers"), but it's absolutely Tarantino filtered through the lens of Mid-10's Disney "irony". The original's tone is closer to (what I've seen of) Gunsmoke or Route 66, with some Film Noir thrown in.

I feel like The Rockford Files was a big inspiration for Cowboy Bebop

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I still haven't watched Cowboy Bebop but watching a clip of it makes Noah Smith's "this is a pro-neoliberal tv show" take funnier

see, you can tell it's about how great capitalism is because they live in squalor and everything is dirty

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

I still haven't watched Cowboy Bebop but watching a clip of it makes Noah Smith's "this is a pro-neoliberal tv show" take funnier

see, you can tell it's about how great capitalism is because they live in squalor and everything is dirty

except for the bounty hunter tv show, that's always bright and fun and shiny, like pressing a button for a piece of cheese

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Nogoodahpinions

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1763208063224303671?s=20

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

can't wait to see The Unknown pop up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hey shoutout Shrek

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

can't wait to eat a regular-rear end pretzel but with a shrek pun on the menu when I pay $25 for it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i hope they have Donkey's Parfait

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

loquacius posted:

can't wait to eat a regular-rear end pretzel but with a shrek pun on the menu when I pay $25 for it

it’ll be green. that’s worth $25

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

It's pro-neoliberal because he thinks that's how everyone but the upper crust should live

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cowboy bebop was the only good anime on adult swim when millenials were growing up and so thats why it has a loving following. it's just ok

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

cowboy bebop was the only good anime on adult swim when millenials were growing up and so thats why it has a loving following. it's just ok

Trigun was also good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trigun was sick

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
please stop talking about anime

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my friend made me watch ergo proxy recently, it was ok I guess

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
anime will never die

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I liked Cowboy Bebop The Movie. The bad guy was pretty cool and bad.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Is there anything more insulting to black people than the suggestion we cannot enjoy a play alongside our white peers? You might have thought we’d left this problem behind in the 1960s, when civil rights laws on both sides of the Atlantic discouraged segregation. But it seems the producers of Slave Play have not.

They’ve confirmed that at least two showings of the play in the West End this summer will effectively ban white people from being in the audience. They say this would allow “black-identifying” audience members to “experience and discuss” the event free from “the white gaze”.

Presumably the goal is to increase diversity among theatre-goers. Well then I ought to be the perfect target. I attended my first live theatre performance only last year, aged 24 – Best of Enemies at the Noël Coward Theatre. It was an interracial show, with an interracial audience, about race, and we somehow managed to laugh, clap and learn together.

The words of William F Buckley – a conservative white man played by David Harewood, a black actor – were no less learned because there were black people watching. In fact, quotes from James Baldwin were all the more poetic because there were white people in the audience.

Yet the same theatre will now host “Black Out” nights of Slave Play, dimming its lights to those black people, like me, who just want to watch a play and get some respite from life’s stresses.

Slave Play is the latest show to fall into the woke-sainthood trap, which infantilises black people rather than empowering them. The writer happens to be a black gay man. His perception of the “black experience” is no more universal than mine. Yet I do not assume that most other black people share my ideological leanings. Nor would I seek to use my perspective as a justification for effectively discriminating against ordinary white theatre-goers.

Even as common sense appears to be prevailing in some discussions around race, this tyrannical force seemingly can’t be stopped in the cultural world. “Black Out” nights have already been hosted by the Almeida and Lyric Hammersmith, which have both received public funds.

Rather than returning to the 1960s, perhaps the West End should take inspiration from a fugitive American slave who came to Britain in the 1840s. Frederick Douglass attracted crowds wherever he spoke, black and white. He showed them the manacles, chains and whips that had been used to keep him captive.

In Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and elsewhere, he spoke to anyone who wished to hear him and, in the process, made contact with abolitionists and converted others to his cause. That, it turned out, was the most effective way to tell the story of slavery to Britons who had never seen it.

As I remain fascinated by African-American history, I’ll still watch Slave Play when it shows. We should talk more about the difficulties of interracial dating, and the reviews have been good. The Guardian, however, did still find something to gripe about when the play first launched in New York: it “may simply give white people yet another platform to gaze on black bodies exposed to physical and sexual violence”.

Proof, if you needed it, that you cannot appease the woke crowd. And ultimately, if this play is to produce fruitful discussion, doesn’t it have to be between black and white?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Augus posted:

the problem with the Netflix Cowboy Bebop is that it was trying to be a faithful adaptation but it’s clear the people making it didn’t really understand the series. I’m sure they liked the series but liking a series is different from understanding what makes it tick and why certain decisions were made.
The text scrawled across the background in the title sequence is an easy example of this. In the original opening the text was in English because the text was meant to be reminiscent of the writing you’d see on a jazz album. In the Netflix version, the text is Japanese, because the creators saw liked the aesthetic of the original opening and wanted to recreate that, but misunderstood the “why” of that aesthetic and thought that it was meant to just be cool foreign text.

Lol remember that interview when the showrunner didn't know Cowboy Bepop was a dystopia setting

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

“I think anybody who’s a fan of Cowboy Bebop knows that Cowboy Bebop presents a multicultural view of the future,” he says. “And so you will see elements of all cultures. It’s not a dystopian world presented in the anime."

Lol there it is

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the greatest line in television history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfbbfo6I0Jg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I feel bad for the actress. The showrunners wanted her to mimic a character that is basically kinda a looney tunes character and in reality played by a real person that comes off as insane annoying drama school energy, which honestly is radiated by everyone in the show except for Cho and the guy who plays Jet. I could post that scene where that lady hits on him for like 10 mins but I don't wanna be cruel.

E: lmao someone posted a clip