Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
No, just repayment of overpayment. No fraud or anything like that, nothing is your fault. In fact, I don't think there would be any interest.

Now if you were turning in false time sheets or travel vouchers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
FWIW there is a 0% chance I would self-report this and I would immediately fight it if they tried to reverse it.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Yeah, after thinking about it a bit more, if it really is just repayment then I may roll with it and budget it in as a possible expense later on. I guess I got the sense that there was something more to it than that. I'm pretty thrifty, have a healthy emergency fund, and have been pumping as much into my TSP and IRA as possible, so I have some slack in my budget if I need it - especially since I'd still be making $4k more a year at step 1 than I was a week ago.

I'm back to bargaining unit in my current position as well, so I'll check with the union to see if there are any finer points I should be aware of.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

This is a good reminder to also regularly review your SF50 in detail to make sure everything is correct every time they update it.

My position used to list me as exempt, and it mysteriously changed to non-exempt in the second year. I'm not sure which it's "supposed" to be, but I'm not complaining.

A colleague was incorrectly still listed as career conditional (or some other two year requirement related to schedule A hiring), and it removed him from consideration for a promotion. He complained, got it corrected, but the ship had sailed on the position by then.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 17, 2024

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I just got transferred to Wichita on a surprise sf50. Problem is I'm still in Los Angeles. So my sf50 says los Angeles office, duty station Wichita.

With that comes RUS pay and a pay cut. And they didn't process my Jan 1 pay raise either.

I infrequently check my L&E statements. I just happened to log in to see if my W2 was posted and saw the pay decrease in the comments. Payroll swears they fixed it and will see the correcting sf50s next week.

Retirement date is official on March 31. Good luck, all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DHS is hiring 50 remote GS-15 AI SME positions if you happen to be an AI expert and want to take a huge pay cut.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Anyone have free time to look over my resume for this UX designer position? I have my app submitted just in case it fills quickly, but could always add more, esp after seeing the assessment.

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/777998600/

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

quote:

If you were determined eligible but not referred it may be due to regulatory requirements for priority consideration of eligible veterans, priority placement candidates, and/or higher-ranking candidates that must be certified and considered first. If we receive a request for additional candidates, your application will be reviewed again for possible referral.

Does this just mean too many veterans got to jump the line or is there something I can do to help my application if I keep getting this notice?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Does this just mean too many veterans got to jump the line or is there something I can do to help my application if I keep getting this notice?

There's not really much you can do about this, just keep applying.

It's not just veterans. Military spouses, peace corps service, disabilities, people subject to RIF; all of those will come before outside hires. You might just have applied to an unlucky combination of time/place/job series.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Anyone have free time to look over my resume for this UX designer position? I have my app submitted just in case it fills quickly, but could always add more, esp after seeing the assessment.

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/777998600/

If you want to pm me a link I'll take a look.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone have familiarity with schedule A? I have some paperwork somewhere that says I have autism but I don't know if there's a process involved in getting it recognized. I don't recall any of the jobs I've applied for asking about disability status.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

rodbeard posted:

Does anyone have familiarity with schedule A? I have some paperwork somewhere that says I have autism but I don't know if there's a process involved in getting it recognized. I don't recall any of the jobs I've applied for asking about disability status.

I've not been able to use it yet, but I do have a schedule A letter for similar reasons. I got mine from reaching out to my state's Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services and submitting my diagnosis documentation. Theoretically I think you can also get an equivalent document from your doctor; the main thing it has to state is that you are permanently disabled and eligible for hire under schedule A. It doesn't have to list the specific diagnosis, and generally shouldn't.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Leviathan Song posted:

If you want to pm me a link I'll take a look.

Sent a DM thank you so much!

Looks like it filled within a day. Someone on the inside told me they were only taking 100 applications. Glad I got something in.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Sent a DM thank you so much!

Looks like it filled within a day. Someone on the inside told me they were only taking 100 applications. Glad I got something in.

I'm glad you got an app in! FYI, you dont necessarily need someone on the inside for that info. Under the dates the listing is open, in the yellow box it says "This job will close when we have received 100 applications which may be sooner than the closing date." Whenever you see any cutoff number (they seem to range between 50 and 250), you need to apply ASAP.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

rodbeard posted:

What I did was find the psychiatrist who diagnosed me (long story) and requested that he write one for me. I have it, haven't used it, haven't needed it, but it's there. You can look for jobs which are hiring based on disability status specifically, I know there's a filter for it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My daughter has autism. She’s finishing college and intending to ask her psych for one so she can work with me at the center.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Thesaurus posted:

I'm glad you got an app in! FYI, you dont necessarily need someone on the inside for that info. Under the dates the listing is open, in the yellow box it says "This job will close when we have received 100 applications which may be sooner than the closing date." Whenever you see any cutoff number (they seem to range between 50 and 250), you need to apply ASAP.

ASAP for some jobs doesn't mean in the first day or two either, it may mean the first 12 hours or worse for remote positions posted to the whole country. Not to long ago I missed out on being the first 100 to a job I applied for the day it was posted at 2pm PST, frankly its kind of ridiculous and I can't see how it doesn't negatively bias the candidate pool, but there's nothing you can really do about it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This one opened 12am EST and I am on PST so I was hitting submit in the middle of the night :boom:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh right, I'm unemployed this weekend.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Would you guys apply for a 2 year term supervisor position? I think I’d only get a 7% salary increase and I’m not sure that’s worth the hassle of dealing with all the extra meetings and administrative stuff involved, especially since I’d still be doing my regular work. The posting does say there’s a chance it could convert to permanent after but I’m not sure if that’s just in there as standard language.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wouldn't, but I have very little desire to go into management. If that's a career track you want, and they'll at least guarantee your current job after the term should it not be made permanent, it seems like a good way to get a foot in that door.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Yeah, I agree that sounds good if you want to go into management but lol only 7% to deal with those headaches

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

It may be worth it to get a year down as a higher GS grade in case you ever want to jump ship to somewhere else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

Yeah, I agree that sounds good if you want to go into management but lol only 7% to deal with those headaches

Yeah, if I moved into management, two-step rule would get me a whopping 8% pay increase upon promotion and I'd quickly hit pay compression so lol lmao

Unrelated, but looking forward to being unemployed this weekend!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I'm coming back from a short trip on Thursday so a shutdown would definitely help me catch up on laundry.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Ghost Cactus posted:

My agency didn’t pay into my OASDI, 401k, or pension last pay period. They also didn’t take my contributions.

Do they owe me back-contributions for any of those?

Edit: this is during a transfer between agencies.

Update: they fixed my social security contributions!
And sent me a notice that they’re going to garnish my wages for the amount they paid to social security. I never even saw that money, why aren’t they asking SSA for it?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ghost Cactus posted:

Update: they fixed my social security contributions!
And sent me a notice that they’re going to garnish my wages for the amount they paid to social security. I never even saw that money, why aren’t they asking SSA for it?

Surely they're trying to garnish the portion that you should have paid in originally ( matching their contribution), right...?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Would you guys apply for a 2 year term supervisor position? I think I’d only get a 7% salary increase and I’m not sure that’s worth the hassle of dealing with all the extra meetings and administrative stuff involved, especially since I’d still be doing my regular work. The posting does say there’s a chance it could convert to permanent after but I’m not sure if that’s just in there as standard language.

If you want to test drive management this isn't the worst way to do it, with a definite retreat path if you want to leave. The pay bump isn't great but I stepped into managerland for no additional pay so don't trust my judgement.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah it's the permanent supervisor jobs you gotta look out for. Nothing but trouble

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

Surely they're trying to garnish the portion that you should have paid in originally ( matching their contribution), right...?

Maybe! That would make too much sense though. I’m not holding my breath. :sigh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One of my calls today was from a taxpayer with a balance due, and he said he refuses to pay it because he doesn't want to fund genocide. I wonder what his forums name is.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Anyone know anyone at the Dept of Treasury that could pull my resume from the pile for a UX designer position?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I think there are a few fema folks here:

I have a job interview coming up for a remote FEMA position. The listing includes the standard language about potential deploymentun emergencies. Does this apply to administrative/remote employees too? Might I get shipped to a disaster area to do other work as needed?

I'm not opposed to the concept, but it doesn't sound quite "remote" if I might have to travel for extended periods every year.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yup. They need admin people. Fema disburses funds, theyre not really out there filling sandbags.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Even in more hands on emergency/disaster response organizations you have a substantial contingent of people working back of the house in plans, logistics, finance etc.

Heck, a really easy way to get sweet sweet true time and a half OT is to get yourself an assignment to an incident management team during fire season. Bunch of camp critters going on 14 day rolls and being paid true time and a half 16s each day.

Bad news is you have to work 16 hours a day and sleep in the dirt.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It's a remote, HR adjacent position, so Im not clear on how much I'd be summoned to the front lines in person.

I asked them to clarify which job posting this was for, as I've applied to several since last summer with different grade levels, and the job title in the interview email doesn't match any of my applications. The response was just "at this time I do not have that information." That's promising!

And Internet people seem to be saying they you're summoned to regional offices for staging. I wonder how/if that affects where a remote employee can live?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Admin people get pressed into front line support all the time. I worked for a DHS agency not border related. Our people were getting solicited and some voluntold to go do border surge support a lot lately. Property manager? Graphic designer? Great, you're now driving a van transporting documents and supplies to border stations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Admin people get pressed into front line support all the time. I worked for a DHS agency not border related. Our people were getting solicited and some voluntold to go do border surge support a lot lately. Property manager? Graphic designer? Great, you're now driving a van transporting documents and supplies to border stations.

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand, my first big break came from a TDY helping out with front line stuff, so I can't hate on it too much. I also love that per diem.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I just got offered a software engineer position with usmepcom based in great lakes naval station. They said it's a gs12 track with gs9 or 11 starting depending on how impressive my federal resume is. I'm not really sure what my chances are but here's hoping it works out. Anyone have any insight on that? Also what's vacation like? I heard my 6 years of active duty in usaf counts towards retirement and stuff too.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

davey4283 posted:

I just got offered a software engineer position with usmepcom based in great lakes naval station. They said it's a gs12 track with gs9 or 11 starting depending on how impressive my federal resume is. I'm not really sure what my chances are but here's hoping it works out. Anyone have any insight on that? Also what's vacation like? I heard my 6 years of active duty in usaf counts towards retirement and stuff too.

Congratulations! I myself am 11 years into a tech career with the military, and just accepted a gs14 position with Army Futures Command as an electronics engineer to help develop position and nav tech (basically trying to recreate gps without using satellites).

Usually it’s normal for an entry level job to start at gs7 if you have a bachelor’s degree (or even gs5 if your GPA was below 3.0), gs9 if you have a master’s, or gs11 if you have a doctorate. I myself started as a gs7 back in 2013 because I had a pretty decent gpa but only a bachelor’s degree. Of course this isn’t an ironclad rule everywhere (as several people with phds who have languished at gs5 could tell you).

I’d say if what you have is a master’s degree and no work experience on your resume, a gs9 start is a reasonable expectation. If you already have a couple of years of work experience in software, then you maybe technically should have applied for a journeyman gs12 spot instead, though of course realistically it’s easier to compete for the ladder spots. If you don’t have a phd, but maybe like a year somewhere as a full time software dev, maybe they’ll offer you the gs11 start.

Either way, if it’s a gs12 track, that means the FPL (full performance level) for the job is gs12, so you’ll get there eventually. The most common track I’m used to seeing is 7-9-11-12, where you get a mostly automatic promotion each year on your work anniversary (if things are going well) until you hit the FPL, so going 7 to 12 takes three years. That is how my own ladder worked out for me. If you’re starting at 9 it should only take two years, and only one year if you’re starting at 11. Again, it’s not ironclad. I’ve heard of ladders that promote every six months, but yearly is by far the most common. GS8 and 10 are technically a thing, but uncommon, and basically unheard of for a tech job series.

As for vacation, as a federal employee you start by default accumulating 4 hours of leave every two weeks (about 2 1/2 weeks a year), then start getting 6 hours (4 weeks a year) after three years, then finally 8 hours (5 1/2 weeks a year) after 15 years. I was never active duty myself, so someone may need to correct me if I’m wrong about this, but I believe as long as your discharge was honorable, your time active duty counts for leave accrual, so with six years, you’ll start with 6 hours a pay period. However for pension benefits, you need to “buy back” your active duty time in order to pay in to FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System) and I think the amount this costs is 3% of your basic pay while you were active (so probably several thousand dollars)

Welcome to federal service. In my opinion it’s one of the best deals in America for a worker. I’ve worked tech in the private sector too and IME have preferred the work life balance as a fed. My general experience as an engineer is that I can make 20%-30% more money for a similar position in the private sector, but with much less benefits and most weeks working 60 hour weeks. I actually find opportunities fairly easily to make extra money side hustling as an engineer, which is an easy way to make up the “lost” 20%-30%, or more, for the same extra 20 hours a week, but at my own flexible discretion.

Justus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Secretary of Homeland Security just gave 8 more admin leave hours for “employee appreciation day”