Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I mean could be a Windows firewall causing traffic issues.

Yeah, that's also a possibility. I don't know what came of it in the end. Guess I can ask on Monday :v:

We moved our OT network iMC install from slow storage, 2vCPU (E5 v3) / 8GB ram to a new DL380 Gen10 plus all flash box yesterday, doubled the RAM/CPU while we were at it, and it loving flies now :eng101:

E: lovely page snipe

Wibla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Ehhhh honestly 80% of it is literally just knowing how network routes work. the cloud providers abstract almost everything else interesting away from you. Even the BGP peering for site to site stuff isn’t that complex, if only because all the hyperscalers have very clear, very simple setup steps, with very few knobs to turn.

weirdly for such a simple concept (have a cidr and a next hop), routing somehow turns off so many people’s brains.

The other 20% of it is peering VPCs or using private endpoints/service lattice/private services. Azure easily has the best UX for that - GCP’s in particular is bizarrely confusing.

When you’ve got some on prem private cloud and multi-cloud set ups, it can get pretty hairy trying to tie the networking together. though to be fair, the worst of that is all of the self managed stuff since you have to get the underlay and overlay networking going yourself.

If you’re only managing cloud infrastructure then that’s Microsoft or Google’s or Amazon‘s problem.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Antigravitas posted:

IP packet fragmentation will still find a way to ruin your day if DNS or routing doesn't. There are so many exciting way to run into wild problems in networking, and so few people know how it all works (and absolutely noboy really knows how packet fragmentation works).

Just set all MTUs to 9000 and call it a day.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I got a job once because I said 9000 MTU was for chumps.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Why is it for chumps? I think I'm a chump :ohdear:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

But the Oracle database guides say you need it!!!!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was basically arguing that the performance wasn't worth the ops complexity to people who catered to the lowest possible denominator, MSPs. I have no problem with it and it's definitely the way to go a lot of the time, especially if the vendor says so.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I’m autistic so I get burnout just living my life. I got two weeks off while switching jobs since they pushed back my start date. I was looking forward to chilling out and instead it’s been more stressful than working the phones

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I was basically arguing that the performance wasn't worth the ops complexity to people who catered to the lowest possible denominator, MSPs. I have no problem with it and it's definitely the way to go a lot of the time, especially if the vendor says so.

That's a fair point actually.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’m autistic so I get burnout just living my life. I got two weeks off while switching jobs since they pushed back my start date. I was looking forward to chilling out and instead it’s been more stressful than working the phones

Also on the ol' spectrum but luckily I've built a lot of coping into my life. I've wondered if my boss is as well for just how unintentionally bad she is at socializing, but I'm no longer being paid to be a counselor so I don't care. Hope you find something distracting, at least, to take your mind off things. Factorio is always available.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

tokin opposition posted:

Also on the ol' spectrum but luckily I've built a lot of coping into my life. I've wondered if my boss is as well for just how unintentionally bad she is at socializing, but I'm no longer being paid to be a counselor so I don't care. Hope you find something distracting, at least, to take your mind off things. Factorio is always available.

I started watching Eyeshield 21. It helps. I still want things in my life to just go better. Every time I start feeling better I get another knockout punch. It’s a real rough patch right now.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tehinternet posted:

Please tell me it’s SharePoint Online and not on-prem

Going by your posts ITT, your boss is never going to understand Sharepoint so be proactive in giving as much responsibility for maintenance away as possible. It can consume your work life otherwise

Online, at least. And I would, if we're given any real authority or ability to make independent decisions.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of MTU, someone at google had the forethought to not make the VPCs use maximum mtu by default (1472 vs 1500 max) so when I ran an internal GRE tunnel, I had room to increase it for the header. Of course, AWS doesn't have this issue because they run jumbo by default....

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
jumbo is a fun word so i let them through no matter what anyone tells me

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

or more properly: flying elephant frames

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I only respond to tickets with either jumbo or dongle in them.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

guess who's going back into the office monday after next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Why have I seen such a high failure rate on Avago storage controllers? Am I just feeling the failures more because we don't have redundancy of them, or are storage controllers a known common failure point in modern servers?

Just a gigantic pain in my rear end.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Avago (and LSI Logic before them) made a line of RAID controllers where heatsink fans would just… fall off the cards, the chips would cook themselves, and poof goes the array.

I forget how many of those I replaced back when I was maintaining such things.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I fixed a problem we were having with some hardware and actually regret it. Now we have to keep this stuff around even longer.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the best cloud bullshit YouTuber out with yet another banger: Positive Affirmations for Site Reliability Engineers

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 2, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Hey, what was the name of the hard drive clown that everyone here used 20 years ago? Pretty sure his first name was Martin but I absolutely cannot recall his last name or his forums username

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Today I found a person in our system in south america who's legal last name is Niño Blanco and I don't know if someone set an alias for them as a joke, if they selected that alias, or if they're just experiencing real life, but either way that's astounding lmao

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Susat posted:

Today I found a person in our system in south america who's legal last name is Niño Blanco and I don't know if someone set an alias for them as a joke, if they selected that alias, or if they're just experiencing real life, but either way that's astounding lmao

Nice catch.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm on call this weekend. Our on call policy is we're here for emergencies only, so patient impacting only (medical field). So stupid poo poo like "I work in finance, and my password got locked" or "My monitor and my docking station were in the closet making babies, and one of the babies looked at me." can be ignored either by not returning the call if they leave a voicemail or just waiting till Monday to deal with it. Basic stuff.

Anyways, some doctor who was sent a brand new desktop last week because his current one kept "crashing" but then suddenly stopped crashing after he got the new one (and he has a backup laptop to boot) calls me at like quarter to ten on a Saturday night asking if I can help set up his new desktop right now.

"I wanna set up my computer"
"Are you working a case with a patient right now, or are you on call to take care of cases before Monday?"
"No."
"Yeah that's not an emergency or what emergency on call is for. If you call us first thing on Monday, we'll be happy to help."

Queue five minutes of a doctor yelling at me, only for me to tell him diplomatically to eat poo poo and that he wasn't getting any help till Monday because I need to remain available for actual emergencies.

Anyways, gently caress that guy. And gently caress on call.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
That sounds exactly like the docs I’ve worked with.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ilkhan posted:

That sounds exactly like the docs I’ve worked with.

I did L1 phone support for a university that also ran a teaching hospital.

But I'm a tenured professor!

That doesn't help when some rear end in a top hat with a backhoe cuts the fiber to your clinic.

I have a good response for that now for interviews where I'm willing to lie about whether my best stories actually happened.

That would be all of them, especially if I need it to make rent soon.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I hated on-call at a hospital and the helpdesk would call for anything as long as the requester says it was “impacting patient care” but absolutely no way in hell would I ever work anywhere that a doctor could call the on-call number directly.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The upside is I only get maybe 2-3 calls a week when I'm on call unless something is truly hosed. And usually 2 of those are ignorable or easy 30 second calls as I'm driving home from work. And most of my callers are medical technicians, who are overall pretty nice to deal with, but usually have the technical accumen of a golden retriever.

It also helps that my boss, who is the final authority on IT stuff at our company, doesn't put up with docs being shitheads with on call. One time I had a doc call me at 230 in the morning (and I slept through it, thanks Google bedtime mode) saying he was locked out of his system and that he needed it fixed pronto because he had a trauma case getting wheeled in.

Turned out he didn't have one and his first case was at 8am, he just liked to start his work day at 3am. So I woke up at 7 in a panic seeing the missed calls and voicemails before I saw that my coworker took care of it when he logged in at 6. My manager told me later that day it was fine, and he told the doc and his supervisor to never do that again, were not concierges. Apparently a lot of them are contracted with us so poo poo like that is held over them so far as bonuses and renewals are concerned. Which is nice.

gently caress working at a hospital though, that poo poo sounds insufferable.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Have any of you all witnessed some absolutely baffling behavior inside of ticket notes? My current workplace uses Service Now (Decent, works ok for the little familiarity I have, maybe a little janky) and my last workplace used ServiceMe! (Labyrinthine nightmare of baffling configuration choices and rules), and in SNOW we have an option to do correspondence over 3 days and let the system automatically close it if there's no response after 3 days.

Last night a co-worker pulled a bucket ticket from someone who was doing a followup after getting a ticket kicked back to him from the department I'm under (Networking/security) and it had this cycle of him sending the same copy pasted message "Is your issue resolved" and then changing the ticket status to pending contact, which starts the 3 day countdown, the person would respond telling him that the issue was not fixed which would cancel the pending countdown, and then the SDA would copy and paste his last message and set it to pending again.

He did this almost every day for a month until I pulled the ticket last night and fixed the person's issue :psyduck:

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023

Susat posted:

He did this almost every day for a month until I pulled the ticket last night and fixed the person's issue :psyduck:

never seen anything like that for an entire month, lol that's insane

also Service Me is a great name

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't really, our ticketing system is pretty pro forma with how tiny we are.

However, I feel like ServiceMe! gives users the wrong idea about help desk and might be a sexual harassment magnet with the wrong sort

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have so much respect for people who run service desk teams since it seems like the vast majority of people working them are unable to grasp the concept of ticket resolution notes being an aid for the next person coming up against the same problem. If I was dropped into that role I'd be fired for getting abusive after the fifth "Fixed the issue, closing ticket" update after someone had been asked to complete proper notes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ticket resolution notes are also for your own sake.
A little while ago I got a meeting invite from my boss, someone in HR had found my name in the modified-by for a document on a case that would normally be classified for me. Well, I could quickly dig up a ticket where I had documented repairing some bad data in a case after receiving that ticket from user X in over in HR. That covers my own rear end, documenting exactly what I've done, why, and when.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
Someone isn't measuring and encouraging the correct metrics. Lower your call time and idle time, sure. But don't lose sight of customer satisfaction, reduced follow up or repeat symptom tickets, and eliminating NDFs on replacement parts returns.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I have so much respect for people who run service desk teams since it seems like the vast majority of people working them are unable to grasp the concept of ticket resolution notes being an aid for the next person coming up against the same problem. If I was dropped into that role I'd be fired for getting abusive after the fifth "Fixed the issue, closing ticket" update after someone had been asked to complete proper notes.

I manage a small but good service desk and it's an endless, relentless struggle. It's kind of like the fight to get people to write documentation, but somehow much harder.

I think that a lot of people truly can't articulate what they did to fix or build something, and that makes ticket notes hard. This year I'm going to experiment with pushing my folks to improve their writing skills and see if that helps as a side effect.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, concisely describing a problem, and then also a solution or action taken, is surprisingly difficult.
Even simple sentences for attempted but failed fixes can be hard, perhaps also because of the fear of being looked down on for not divining the true cause and resolution instantly.

The next level is being able to pick up a long ticket that's been cycling around departments and summarizing it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

A big part of it is time constraints. Writing everything you did is very time consuming sometimes and it is absolutely a skillset to be able to jot it all down quickly and understandably. I take the time to write my notes up but that sometimes comes at the cost of making the next person(s) wait, so I try to make it as concise as possible.

It gets even worse if you worked on it for 2 hours while someone is on the phone with you - maybe you simply don’t remember everything you tried or did because you weren’t going to tell your phone person to hold on a sec, writing notes, yes I know you have a meeting in 15, just hold on

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

nielsm posted:

The next level is being able to pick up a long ticket that's been cycling around departments and summarizing it.

I feel like most people can do this and are just too lazy to, but maybe not? My boss and certain coworkers are awful at this but I have always assumed they just didn’t give a poo poo and will not spend the time and thus demand you to do the labor for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm the best writer-upper at my place, but it really depends on how long ago I worked on the ticket. If it's been more than a few hours it may as well not have happened and I'll fall back to "did x, solved y, confirmed z, closing ticket" where x, y, and z are maybe a sentence long.

Anyway really not looking forward to tomorrow but at least I've got another handful of applications out there. Any leads on remote helpdesk or junior sysadmin would be beloved.