Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I spend my last month nights on the computer dating app

I'm at the end of November and this is all I'm doing. I have Empress, about half of Temperance, half of Magician, most of Star, and then Aigis in January to finish so I'll probably end up with Empress, Temperance, Aigis, and maybe Star mostly done. Magician if I somehow end up with time but I don't think I have enough time to finish Star & Magician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Metaphor is now wishlistable in Japan and other Asian countries, with some new descriptions on the Hong Kong one:

quote:

From the creative minds behind Persona 3, 4, and 5 comes Metaphor: ReFantazio, a unique fantasy world, where your protagonist will journey alongside his fairy companion, Gallica, to lift the curse from the kingdom’s lost prince. Control your destiny, face your fears and awaken magical “Archetype” powers that lie dormant in your heart. By awakening to an “Archetype,” you will unlock the power to channel and combine the abilities of unique job classes. Strengthen your bonds and build your party to take down powerful foes and discover the kingdom’s true nature.

Key Features:

-Go on quests, dungeon dive, & hunt for treasures by day. Strengthen relationships, build bonds, & increase virtues by night. Choose your actions wisely, time management is key to achieving your goal.
-Ride your “gauntlet runner” to faraway dungeons & towns across an expansive world. Discover beautiful landscapes  accompanied by captivating music, immersive UI, & anime cutscenes.
-A unique battle system combining turn based & real time action grants strategy & exhilaration at every turn. Party customization through “Archetypes” provides freedom to personalize your adventure.
-A mysterious & exciting story unfolds in a world where people must fight their own anxiety. Join the high-stakes Royal Tournament that promises hours of captivating exploration and discovery.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I hope in a couple years when they come out with the expanded re-release version they call it Metaphor Re: Re: Fantazio
Maybe throw a Fw: in there too

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Truly cannot imagine the mind of someone who does not understand the depressed melancholy vibes of the last months of the game and why they work so well

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the last month of Persona 3 would work a lot better for me, personally, if anything happened in it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they should make you fight strega like 3 times in the last couple of months like the turks or team rocket

maybe save some of the chidori and junpei stuff so that it happens somewhere in there too

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I think the last month of Persona 3 would work a lot better for me, personally, if anything happened in it

I get it, but I think it being kind of a month to tie up loose ends and get your affairs in order is pretty impactful, for me at least.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For me it was reminiscent of the bittersweet final semester of high school. Lot of laid back doing nothing (after nightmare exams) whilst knowing school life was coming to an end.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's been forever since I've played it, but I'm chronically inefficient at these games generally so I remember having stuff left to do around then? Will be interesting to see how I feel about it playing it now once we get around to it

Really the only persona I've ever gotten close to running out of things to do in is P5R, and that's mostly because it's comically easy to get basically every social link maxxed without planning anything. If only I hadn't forgotten about strength...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I had nothing to do but hang out with the art school wannabe and Aigis.

Im not saying they need to go frolicking through fields but you're literally children, maybe have a pizza party or something the night before you all might die or something. I dunno I've never been in an apocalypse scenario before.

In general my biggest issue is that there is a distinct lack of chilling with your pals in 3 in general and the last month was just the worst offender.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Randallteal posted:

I also finished Reload the other day and enjoyed it but it reinforced for me that 5 is probably my favorite of the last three. For me it basically goes

Plot: 5 > 3 > 4
Characters: 5 > 4 > 3
Soundtrack: 5 > 3 > 4
Setting: 4 > 5 > 3 (Tatsumi Port Island is easily the weakest part of 3, there are a lot of cool places in 5 even if they're just replicating a lot of touristy stuff)
Dungeons: 5 > 4 > 3

I like the endings of 3 and 5. 4 is the only one where I feel like the (original) true last boss and ending were a little anticlimactic.

Personal arbitrary ratings:

Actual Main Plot: 3 > 5 > 4
Main Characters (standalone): 3 > 5 > 4
Main Characters (group cohesiveness): 4 > 3 > 5
Social Links: P3P (FeMC) > P4 > P3R > P5 > P3
Dungeons: P4 = P5 > P3
Final Boss: P3 > P5R > P4 > P5
Soundtrack: 3 = 4 = 5

There's things to love in every soundtrack so I don't think I can honestly put one over the other.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Im not saying they need to go frolicking through fields but you're literally children, maybe have a pizza party or something the night before you all might die or something. I dunno I've never been in an apocalypse scenario before.

In general my biggest issue is that there is a distinct lack of chilling with your pals in 3 in general and the last month was just the worst offender.

IIRC there was a sushi party at one point after clearing Tartarus :v:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I think the last month is helped by some of the optional scenes they added, especially some of the Koromaru walks. Like, the last one has the entire team get together and hang with him one last time, and I really liked that

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

There's a reason why people started to think that SEES wasn't actually a friend group after having time to think about Persona 3 as a whole.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think that works in its favor. The cast being mostly kind of coworkers instead of BFFs is epic.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Regarding P3, it's weird in a game about forming bonds that the base game basically made it impossible to form said bonds with your teammates even if you as a player wanted to. It just felt like such a weird oversight, but when you combine it with the fact that only the female members got links and that all links with girls were forced romances, the inherent worldview flaws get thrown into sharper relief than in the later games.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

i never got the sense that sees were intended to be a big group of friends. they're like, roommates/coworkers. there's a clear bond through shared experience by the end but it would have seemed out of place if they had suddenly started having parties and doing group activities during the most depressing possible time period.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

P3 is literally the only one to stick the landing lol.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P1 and 2 both ended quite well

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

P1 and 2 both ended quite well
I often feel like most conversations about Persona as a series end up having a giant asterisk that excludes 1 & 2 from the critique because of the different team behind them/Atlus generally ignoring their existence brand-wise.

P2 - literally the only game that lets you be a gay protag, etc. It is a sad outlier for the series rather than something it dared to explore later in even remotely a more thoughtful way.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jon Irenicus posted:

P3 is literally the only one to stick the landing lol.

It had to or else it would literally have nothing.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It would have kickass music.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished P3R tonight and I think it’s my favorite modern persona. The P2 games are my favorite persona games overall but p3 is the only one that fully sticks the landing of the modern ones and I think the changes in the remake are for the better overall. I really like the royal additions in p5 but the further I get from P4G the less I like it. I’d say it’s 3R>5R>>>4G for me now. The ending portion of 3 is so perfect for its themes. I don’t think I’ll bother getting The Answer if they do dlc because I wasn’t a big fan of it in the first place and unless they revise it I don’t think I’d want it for Reload either.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Answer ftw

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm at the end of november and realizing that there is no way i'm getting all these links done

i would be able to except that like half the remaining time is eaten up by random breaks and holidays and exams and "career experience week", and 2 whole links get dumped on you that you have to start from zero

gently caress

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Saagonsa posted:

The Answer ftw

I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to finding out what the modern response to The Answer is, especially if it doesn't end up overhauled significantly. Is this gonna be a case of "it was ahead of its time" and the people who came in at 4/5 love it, or is this gonna end with a lot of people sour as the "finale" drops with some vets I Told You So'ing to boot?

I guess it could also just land with a wet fart and nobody really feels strongly but where's the fun in that

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

claw game handjob posted:

I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to finding out what the modern response to The Answer is, especially if it doesn't end up overhauled significantly. Is this gonna be a case of "it was ahead of its time" and the people who came in at 4/5 love it, or is this gonna end with a lot of people sour as the "finale" drops with some vets I Told You So'ing to boot?

I guess it could also just land with a wet fart and nobody really feels strongly but where's the fun in that

I presume that there would be at least some changes even if the overall plot remains the same. Like I imagine Metis would get a bit more content at least. And I could see more mini-events with Aigis and individual SEES members.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The story of The Answer was always fine, imo, but it is 90% dungeon crawling, which is definitely not Persona 3's strongest point.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

The vibes are cool but there’s absolutely nothing to do during that final month so you just end up spending nights going to the arcade which is just weird on a number of levels

I think they could have solved two problems (nothing to do at night during the last month and school SLs piling up when the rest are done way before the end) by just having the Aegis SL happen at night. You live together, shouldn’t be that hard.

the end of the world is coming and i just want to play video gaems

Prowler
May 24, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

i'm at the end of november and realizing that there is no way i'm getting all these links done

i would be able to except that like half the remaining time is eaten up by random breaks and holidays and exams and "career experience week", and 2 whole links get dumped on you that you have to start from zero

gently caress

I'm in the last ten days, myself, and I was able to max everyone except the track star from the other school, art club dude, and the annoying crush-on-teacher guy. I also "maxed" Sanada, Junpei, and Ken. With slightly better planning, I can see getting 100% being pretty easy with minimal effort.

---

Having played these games in reverse order, I think I still prefer Persona 5 to 4, and it's a race for second between 3 and 4. I figure my opinion might be different if I had played them in a different order.

The main character of 4 and 5 feel much more active in driving the story, while 3's character has a lot of stuff just...happen to him. SEES exists with or without him. He's the "leader," but for the majority of the story, he more or less blindly follows orders. The story happens around him, all of the events that kicked off all the main game 10 years ago only involve him because he just happened to beat the wrong place at the wrong time--and they happened to him rather than being an active participant. Many story revelations are characters sharing information with the MC that they've kept secret, which is frustrating when you're 30 hours into the game and the only evidence to the secret is a character's periodic "..." response to something related to the Dark Hour. Edit: which I believe is even lampshaded with "I should have told you this sooner" which makes it worse!

It also feels like so much more happens in those games, story-wise, than 3. Persona 5 (and to a lesser extent 4) structures itself into mini-arcs with each palace/dungeon--each of which contribute to the larger overall narrative in some way. The resolution of each dungeon brings in more information and story elements in 4 and 5, while in 3, it's more like, "okay now onto the next full moon." You don't get much information about the world outside of their little bubble--except for very rare news reports--so it feels like your actions have little to no impact. It gives this real feeling of just going through the motions. Strega was supposed to act as actively antagonistic, physical villains in the story, but I found their involvement to be disappointing and a little dumb--both in how they behave and the way the player characters react to them. A minor complaint, but it's just stupid that Takaya walks around Japan with no shirt, a loaded revolver in his beltloop, and has ostensibly gone around freaking out dozens of NPCs and murdering at least one of them without anything happening to him.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 3, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

The story of The Answer was always fine, imo, but it is 90% dungeon crawling, which is definitely not Persona 3's strongest point.

That's my main issue with it. The plot and such is mostly fine. I played on Gamepass so I'm not against buying a GOTY or complete version or whatever later and getting the Answer that way.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Answer was mostly a gameplay slog with really repetitive story-beats until you get to the end of it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It was a fitting punishment for those who didn't get P3's ending the first time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Answer is worth it for Heartful Cry.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Prowler posted:

I'm in the last ten days, myself, and I was able to max everyone except the track star from the other school, art club dude, and the annoying crush-on-teacher guy. I also "maxed" Sanada, Junpei, and Ken. With slightly better planning, I can see getting 100% being pretty easy with minimal effort.

I thought I was gonna make it but I didn't realize winter break was 2 whole weeks. I'm gonna be short purely because I'm going to max out my last out of school link about half way through and waste like 5 days on nothing. If it weren't for that I'd make it with like 2-3 days to spare.

i'm just gonna ignore aigis I guess

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If I had realized studying in your room was mostly useless compared to any of the other ways to raise academics early on I probably would have at least finished all the S-links since I had 4 levels of Moon and all of the art guy left in the end with everything else maxed without much planning at all. I do wish at least one of the S-links was moved to night because there really isn't anything to do near the end of the game besides dating site or arcade.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i think the biggest mistakes you can make while going for max links is not prioritizing the school links and trying to level your social stats too fast

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zokari posted:

i think the biggest mistakes you can make while going for max links is not prioritizing the school links and trying to level your social stats too fast

Yeah, when I started the game I decided I wasn't going to try too hard for maxing everyone since I remembered it being near impossible in the original. As a result I blew some time early on ranking stats up quickly instead of doing school links, which is now biting me in the rear end because I realize it would actually have been easy to max everyone had I not done that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zokari posted:

If you only do the social stat stuff at night then that's not really an issue, you have more than enough time to do that.

Also after taking a break, made it to Jan 31st. Maxed everyone except Aigis (Rank 7), oh well. Could probably have gotten her to Rank 8, but it turns out Career Day meant both her and Kenji weren't available that day.

Unlocking everyone's full skillset means I get to see all the balance changes they made, and it's interesting. Yukari finally got Wind Amp so she can keep on par with damage, but Ken can get two different Amps (by forging for him Gungnir) so he turns out more versatile anyway. Akihiko is the only character to naturally learn Boost + Amp without using an equipment slot, and the only character to learn an Evade skill for his weakness. He still gets outperformed by Junpei or Mitsuru, but I think he's fine and his second Theurgy hits really hard and isn't hard to charge.

A bit of a shame that Debilitate existing kinda kills off Mitsuru/Akihiko's debuff niche towards the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
God, just remembered that I forgot to ever use any of the Persona stat boost items, including the ones you get from acing all the tests. What a waste. Oh well, I didn't miss them. I don't think I wiped once this time which is wild considering I was stuck for ages on some Tartarus bosses in the original.