Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I set the downscaling to Quality or Ultra Quality and thought it looks fine on 4k/1440p. Definitely a bit crunchy but wasn't sickeningly bad and I think the game looks better in motion than looking at jaggies in the menu. Definitely would love some DLSS support though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ulio posted:

I literally just take jumpback, find a random rock miles away from the action and snipe people with the breaker. I bring a sniper but usually I don't have to use it unless I am really far.

ok so?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Exodee posted:

:hmmyes:

Add tesla trooper armor as well which makes you immune to electricity

I want some firebat armor that makes me immune to fire. Snapped up my "kill 100 enemies with burning damage in one mission" achievement last night because flamethrowers are exceptionally fun.

Takes a while to BBQ a charger, but it does eventually finish cooking. My only real wishlist item would be some effect of the burning to slow or stun enemies.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I know, getting swarmed means you messed up and the real solution is to call an orbital on top of yourself, but I hope we get better melee options in the future, maybe a variant of the automaton energy blade?

That doesn't sound very equal of you. And we all know guns are the great equalizer and thus compatible with managed democracy.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ijyt posted:

ok so?

It's rly strong

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

yeah its a gun

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ijyt posted:

yeah its a gun

"I implore you not to compare the basic breaker to its variants or get too attached to it"

The dev Qa testing the balance patch on discord.

It too strong bro

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

flashman posted:

"I implore you not to compare the basic breaker to its variants or get too attached to it"

The dev Qa testing the balance patch on discord.

It too strong bro

its weaker than the punisher lol nerf-nerds are so weird

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

like its literally not even a pvp game but the "b-b-but the meta" "bbut too strong :qq:" use a different gun if you dont like it let the people who like it use it yikes!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Man I had high hopes for the countersniper DMR but it just tracks way too slowly. Back to armor piercing assault rifle on single shot I guess

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

like its literally not even a pvp game but the "b-b-but the meta" "bbut too strong :qq:" use a different gun if you dont like it let the people who like it use it yikes!

You have been kicked from the game

That's what happens when you let clear metas develop in PvE games because gamers are too loving YouTube/Twitch/Capitalism Sigma Grindset poisoned to do things like "have fun."

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ijyt posted:

I use the defender or the liberator against the bugs and the slugger or the diligence against the bots anyway. When discussing balance I think it's important to nerf outliers as well as boost things or the game will inflate to being too easy, 9 is perfect challenge now without the breaker or railgun against bugs (not rly using those items against bots anyway) but a little bit easy with pc railgun users, the breaker accentuates this disparity by being able to clear so well the railguns downside is non existant

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
What if I don't care if the game is 10% too easy for people who take the game 100% too seriously?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That's cool too

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I tried the liberator penetrator (need a shorter name for that) against bugs and ran out of ammo basically instantly. That thing does not do enough damage even with the armor pen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ijyt posted:

I don't really understand why this is so often the response to "I wish all the weapons felt just as good and we're just as impactful to play."

It's not a difficult concept. Even if you really want to love the flamethrower, it feels bad to use.

That's it. It's not that complicated.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hiddenriverninja posted:

I know, getting swarmed means you messed up and the real solution is to call an orbital on top of yourself, but I hope we get better melee options in the future, maybe a variant of the automaton energy blade?

The CEO mentioned they've had some internal discussions about adding melee weapons, so its a possibility. Its pretty hilarious to pistol whip bugs though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would like to use a flamethrower that does nothing. It'll be great. Tons of fun.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Bandire posted:

The CEO mentioned they've had some internal discussions about adding melee weapons, so its a possibility. Its pretty hilarious to pistol whip bugs though.

I hope melee weapons add more impact to melee shoves because shoving other helldivers is 99.9% of my melee usecases

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't really understand why this is so often the response to "I wish all the weapons felt just as good and we're just as impactful to play."

It's not a difficult concept. Even if you really want to love the flamethrower, it feels bad to use.

People are annoyed about people demanding nerfs, not people demanding buffs.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Can buff things and nerf things at the same time (this is the neccesary path) if you just buff everything all the time it is gonna gently caress up the game

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

FunkyFjord posted:

I've been using the trailblazer scout armor from standard warbond page 7 and loving it. I'll probably have to rely on the shield pack even harder when armor does get fixed but it's speed and stamina and stealthiness are just lovely. Tried doing a bug mission with the orange engineer medium armor that gives extra grenades, because bug holes, without the shield pack and I felt way too slow. Extra grenades are nice though, I need a light armor with extra grenades.

What I've heard with regards to "how is armor broken" is that right now, enemies have 100% armor penetration against Helldiver armor, meaning we all functionally have 0 Armor Rating. So fixing how Armor Rating works will likely result in a net survivability increase for everyone across the board, including Light Armor lovers (until they retune enemy damage to compensate for this gain).

Edit: Yeah, it would also be nice if Armor Rating affected flinch. I do so love accidentally fragging myself with my autocannon when a bot bullet soars nearby just to leave a note on my desk that says "tee-hee".

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2024

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

flashman posted:

Can buff things and nerf things at the same time (this is the neccesary path) if you just buff everything all the time it is gonna gently caress up the game

You're coming from the perspective of a sweaty tryhard who is mad that people might be able to progress beyond what they "deserve" based on your subjective evaluation of skill level. I don't have that perspective, which explains our difference of opinion.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

flashman posted:

Yep, I would nerf around 3 weapons/stratagems in the game, and buff other 6-7 things that feel underused. Overall there are more things that need a buff than things that need a nerf, but both approaches are needed.
Doing both means the scale of the changes is smaller (in comparison if you only nerf or only buff stuff).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

People are annoyed about people demanding nerfs, not people demanding buffs.

It's all relative. If the devs think buffing all the weapons to match the most powerful weapon will make the game unfun, then so be it. But who cares if they bring the Breaker down 10% at the same time as bringing the Flamethrower up 300%?

People use a weapon, find it amazing, then come to the thread and say "Breaker is so OP" as a way of expressing how good it is.

There's going to be balancing, I'm sure it will involve at least some small nerfs, who cares? It's like the "cheat detection in a PvE" conversation. Yeah, people using cheats have a negative impact on people's enjoyment of the game. Running around with a Flamethrower that's basically Power Wash Simulator while the dude next to you destroys every bug in a few seconds flat with the Breaker is not fun. If you're the kind of person who wants to use the Flamethrower, that sucks.

No dev is going out of their way to make super underpowered and super overpowered poo poo. Of course they're going to try to fix it.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

You're coming from the perspective of a sweaty tryhard who is mad that people might be able to progress beyond what they "deserve" based on your subjective evaluation of skill level. I don't have that perspective, which explains our difference of opinion.

Huh? It's fun to have difficulties that are hard, too hard even to challenge you. There are loads of difficulties to match everyone's skill or how hard they want to sweat or whatever.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

It's all relative. If the devs think buffing all the weapons to match the most powerful weapon will make the game unfun, then so be it. But who cares if they bring the Breaker down 10% at the same time as bringing the Flamethrower up 300%?

People use a weapon, find it amazing, then come to the thread and say "Breaker is so OP" as a way of expressing how good it is.

There's going to be balancing, I'm sure it will involve at least some small nerfs, who cares? It's like the "cheat detection in a PvE" conversation. Yeah, people using cheats have a negative impact on people's enjoyment of the game. Running around with a flamethrower that's basically Power Wash Simulator while the dude next to you destroys every bug in a few seconds flat with the Breaker is not fun. If you're the kind of person who wants to use the Flamethrower, that sucks.

No dev is going out of their way to make super underpowered and super overpowered poo poo. Of course they're going to try to fix it.

You say all that, but in the end, how is nerfing the Breaker by 10% going to make the Flamethrower more fun to use? Would nerfing the Breaker by 10% without buffing the flamethrower at all make the flamethrower 10% more fun?

flashman posted:

Huh? It's fun to have difficulties that are hard, too hard even to challenge you. There are loads of difficulties to match everyone's skill or how hard they want to sweat or whatever.

Yes, exactly. There are people who can't beat Helldive (or even unlock it) even with the current balancing, and probably many of them who don't even care if they ever reach it, so nerfs will only make things more frustrating for them at their current level.

And it matters where people stall out, because you can't even acquire super samples until 7.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 1, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

You say all that, but in the end, how is nerfing the Breaker by 10% going to make the Flamethrower more fun to use? Would nerfing the Breaker by 10% without buffing the flamethrower at all make the flamethrower 10% more fun?

Having outliers makes it impossible to balance your hardest content with the rest of the guns....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

Because it's all relative? If you buff every weapon it may trivialize the whole game. I don't know if you've noticed, but dying, the threat of dying, and the chance you might lose are what makes the game fun. There has to be the tension there, otherwise it will get stale very fast.

Maybe the devs will decide that buffing everything is the way to go. I dunno, I'm not the one running the numbers. But "all nerfs are bad" is just a really silly stance.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Because it's all relative? If you buff every weapon it may trivialize the whole game. I don't know if you've noticed, but dying, the threat of dying, and the chance you might lose are what makes the game fun. There has to be the tension there, otherwise it will get stale very fast.

Maybe the devs will decide that buffing everything is the way to go. I dunno, I'm not the one running the numbers. But "all nerfs are bad" is just a really silly stance.

If the game isn't currently trivialized, why would buffing other weapons trivialize it, unless they are buffed beyond what the current meta equipment is?

I guess I'm saying I don't care about the 1% of players who think the game is trivially easy right now.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wish we got a liquid flamethrower instead of one that just puffs fire at things
I think killing floor 1 was the only one to have one of those

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
yea the flamethrower sucks visually and effectively :( in game about killing bugs an awesome flamethrower is a must have! plus it has great friendly fire scares potential.

Aliens Fireteam had a great feeling flamethrower, we need one in HD2.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

yeah so buff the ones that feel bad rather than nerfing the stuff that feels good??

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

its still not going to make the flamethrower feel better to use, which was your initial complaint lol

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Did Bile titans get a health boost at some point? I remember orbital railcannons oneshotting them but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, or am I misremembering?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ijyt posted:

its still not going to make the flamethrower feel better to use, which was your initial complaint lol

It was an example. :allears:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It was an example. :allears:

your example is poo poo

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

We should all just hug it out imo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

E

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fishstick posted:

Did Bile titans get a health boost at some point? I remember orbital railcannons oneshotting them but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, or am I misremembering?

it feels like every now and then, a rare bile titan spawns that has 10x the health of a normal one. Had this happen to me last night where it took like 8 railgun shots to the mouth to kill it when every other titan on that mission went down in 1-2. Thought it was bugged to be invincible cause other divers were throwing all their strats at it and it still kept trucking until i finally managed to get my last shot off and behead the drat thing

felt like i may have been missing my shots, but i was easily hitting my shots earlier in the mission, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I want to love grenade launchers, I really do. But there is something about them that turns me from average shooter into trick shot champion, except the trick is the ability to thread the needle between the hit boxes of the enemy legs so the grenade explodes harmlessly somewhere well behind the target.