Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like Bile Titans scale now because I fought one on challenging and I feel like air strikes were more than enough to take it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

We should all just hug it out imo.

Be advised, hug inbound

➡️➡️➡️

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Heh, they should nerf every weapon because my badass skills means I find no challenge in the space wastes. I even have to use the blunt edge of my katana and no strategem just to feel any sort of difficulty.

*tips space fedora* M'Diver

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i wonder if there are any hidden combo stratagems that players havent discovered yet

like a mystery combo that drops a tea set to take a quick break or something

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Gamers making gaming terrible and I am here for it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Durzel posted:

Someone who is good with the grenade launcher is a very effective team member, particularly with bugs. Being able to close a lair as soon as you arrive, from distance, is definitely valuable.

The autocannon also does that and is a lot more consistent at fighting everything else at the expense of it also using a backpack slot.

AC is also incredibly accurate. The GL not only is dealing with the bullet drop, they also seems to have absurdly comical left to right sway, so bullets you have lined up on the enemy sail off to their sides and explode harmlessly in the middle distance.

Literally every time I've broken out the grenade launcher I've regretted it, and I'm one of those mutants that unironically loves the Arc Thrower despite it's warts, so I get that my opinions are not too be taken seriously. .

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played with a gimmicky duo who both used arc throwers, teslas, shield backpacks, and EMP with the white armor-- techno-democracy

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i need to try the arc thrower, it looks fun

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Arrath posted:

I want to love grenade launchers, I really do. But there is something about them that turns me from average shooter into trick shot champion, except the trick is the ability to thread the needle between the hit boxes of the enemy legs so the grenade explodes harmlessly somewhere well behind the target.

IMO if you're gonna rock the 'nader you need to run it with the ammo support backpack, which unfortunately prevents you from using the shield or jetpack. But I like running 'nader on bug missions and making it my personal duty to close every single filthy undemocratic bug hole on the entire map. I also run slugger most of the time even on bug missions, so the ammo backpack does double duty.

AC is another viable option for bugs but I'm quite a bit worse at not blowing myself up with that somehow.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the grande launcher was good for the level you get it, but the auto-cannon is just way better, sucks about the backpack, but you only need to use it until you get the railgun anyway.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The flamethrower could be a fuckton better, and more fun, without changing its numbers at all - what they really should do (although its not easy) should be to make it very obviously alter enemy behaviour.

Shooting already does, so its actually kind of shocking that fire doesnt!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Obliterating a Bile Titan by landing a Hellpod on it is such a simple yet wonderful joy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

hiddenriverninja posted:

Obliterating a Bile Titan by landing a Hellpod on it is such a simple yet wonderful joy
I wish this ever worked for me, especially on extraction with multiple titans hanging around :sigh:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
AC is really good but the shield is nearly an auto pick on high difficulty bugs. On bots I could take an AC on 8s for sure given that rockets can still kill through shields with light armour unless you have the explosive resist trait.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Section Z posted:

I wish this ever worked for me, especially on extraction with multiple titans hanging around :sigh:

You have to hit them near the head. Don't aim for center mass. Not sure why, but it never seems to damage them doing that

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bandire posted:

The CEO mentioned they've had some internal discussions about adding melee weapons, so its a possibility. Its pretty hilarious to pistol whip bugs though.

HD1 has bayonets on several weapons, they’ll probably get added to 2

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I played with a hacker that was calling down mechs and recon vehicles. So, they're fully implemented in the game already with icons, voice lines, etc., the devs are just waiting to sell them to us. :P

Wait, no, thats' a lie, the recon vehicle doesn't have a strategem icon yet. Other than that, fully implemented.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i need to try the arc thrower, it looks fun

In my experience it's more frustrating than fun like the Flamethrower. Maybe I need to play around with it more but it doesn't stop anything from just coming straight at you and frequently arcs towards any teammates around you so at best it just lacked stopping power and at worst it was a heat seeking teamkiller.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jokes posted:

I played with a gimmicky duo who both used arc throwers, teslas, shield backpacks, and EMP with the white armor-- techno-democracy

The funny thing is, if you can line up 3-4 dudes with arc throwers, you can kill a charger in like 2-3 volleys. The whole "armor ignoring" angle is not to be hosed with if you have volume of fire.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Piell posted:

The devs are manually modifying the global goals anyway

according to the devs the GM chooses what the enemy factions do but the actual planetary liberation meters aren't being touched. planet progression is hosed because the math they use apparently doesn't scale based on concurrent users

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

. planet progression is hosed because the math they use apparently doesn't scale based on concurrent users

If that was right, and given that the game has been a much bigger success they had planned for, it would mean planet progression would be trivial, favoring the players as they are the group that is unexpectedly huge .

But we just lost the defend campaign against the boys!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I'll be sad when they nerf the Breaker and Railgun. Pulling out the railgun and having a running battle with three Chargers where I kill all three myself with the tools I have on hand feels great; if I bring literally any other heavy weapon available to me I run out of ammo (or just die) well before that happens and that feels less great. I like the breaker not because it's powerful and accurate but because I can kill twice as many bugs with a clip than any other primary, and I need that level of efficiency because there's still a dozen bugs at high levels trying to eat my face while I sprint away reloading.

As I went up difficulty levels I abandoned more and more weapon options not because they stopped being effective against their intended targets but because mid-mission firefights get so hectic, frequent, and populated with extra enemies that the only thing that really mattered to me was ammo economy. On diff 8 or 9 I would often end up sprinting through the jungle with half a clip of breaker left praying I'd run into a point of interest with even a single ammo clip available for me, a situation that would have been way worse with literally any other primary available in the game. Out of all the heavy weapons I'm pretty confident that only the Railgun can drop 3-4 heavy enemies before it needs new clips, and when there's a dozen or more heavies in a Helldive run, well...

An additional consideration is if they, say, nerf ammo counts for these weapons it's likely going to have a chilling effect on pubbie groups. As it is, if 1-2 people are running the meta loadout then a run is probably going to be fine even if the other players are running things that won't work as well. If you can't lean on a couple BreakRailShield divers in 8 or 9 content then that often-ridiculed forum post about kicking off-meta players is going to get more prevalent. An obvious answer to that is "just play with friends" but having as open and chill a pubbie scene as possible is very, very important for the health of the game long-term.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If not railgun, what are people bringing vs Chargers in 8-9s?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stalwart at top ROF playing matador can probably kill 1-2 chargers per clip, I think.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

If not railgun, what are people bringing vs Chargers in 8-9s?

Rr and eagle rockets

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ill try Eagle rockets out. One super sample short of the final Eagle upgrade

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I heard that the lore for the first game was that the cyborgs were implicated in an extremely blatant false flag attack and the bugs can be rendered into oil, is that still the case with 2?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

yep

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The bugs are also a convenient way to deal with dissidents. It's very odd a species incapable of space travel keep getting dropped onto appearing on planets full of people who hate democracy.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 1, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I heard that the lore for the first game was that the cyborgs were implicated in an extremely blatant false flag attack and the bugs can be rendered into oil, is that still the case with 2?

(USER WAS TRANSPORTED TO A SUPER EARTH REEDUCATION CENTER FOR THIS POST)

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Why would I not want to choose the highest RPM on machine guns?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Longpig Bard posted:

Recoil and ammo conservation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Half true. The cyborgs have been replaced by their creations, the Automatons, who are waging a war of liberation against Super Earth to free their parent species from SEAF labour camps.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Longpig Bard posted:

The default machine gun penetrates medium armor and the stalwart doesn't. It does certainly help against the medium armored units. Especially on the harder difficulties when you start running into the swarms of green armored ticks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Longpig Bard posted:

If you're shooting something far away it'll be more controllable at that range. Up close like against a charger set that poo poo to the max.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Ill try Eagle rockets out. One super sample short of the final Eagle upgrade

Orbital rail cannon works too but long cd

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Don't sleep on the basic orbital precision strike for slow-movers like titans and tanks. Pretty easy to hit them and it fucks them up pretty good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DeathSandwich posted:

The default machine gun penetrates medium armor and the stalwart doesn't. It does certainly help against the medium armored units. Especially on the harder difficulties when you start running into the swarms of green armored ticks.

The stalwart has more spare clips and you can dump more rounds into weak spots more easily, making it my favorite weapon right now. Also being able to reload on the run is great.

I've gotten pretty good at dealing with chargers by only shooting after their charge to exploit that vulnerability/glitch/whatever. I don't know if they'll patch it out but being able to gat those fuckers down with normal weapons make me very happy

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jokes posted:

The stalwart has more spare clips and you can dump more rounds into weak spots more easily, making it my favorite weapon right now. Also being able to reload on the run is great.

I've gotten pretty good at dealing with chargers by only shooting after their charge to exploit that vulnerability/glitch/whatever. I don't know if they'll patch it out but being able to gat those fuckers down with normal weapons make me very happy

I've also been getting better at 'bullfighting' them. Bait them into a charge, dive out of the way at the last second, then mag-dump into the weakspot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

Rusty posted:

I thought the grande launcher was good for the level you get it, but the auto-cannon is just way better, sucks about the backpack, but you only need to use it until you get the railgun anyway.

devs pls add a grande launcher, which is just a GL but twice as big (weapon model size, explosion size, clip size).