Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Claudio is very very fun and at this point is my primary side character to Bryan. WR2 goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

New patch coming out. Fortunately it sounds like they're buffing underdogs like Azucena while giving much needed nerfs to overwhelming monsters like Leroy. Finally I'll stop getting launched by his dog! Victor's throws got nerfed so I don't know how he'll survive now that he doesn't have any abusable tools left. (okay sorry, I'll stop)

Feng's only thing is he no longer does 'unintended moves' and Reina got bugfix nerfs minor enough that I've never used them, so I don't need to worry about this set of patches.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They said that this patch was primarily about fixing unintended behavior rather than any major game balance issues. I think they are purposefully avoiding major changes before Evo Japan

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yeah this is just fixing behaviors to be how they were intended, that does lead to some things being technically nerfs or buffs but they aren't making these changes on what characters they think are weak or overtuned yet.

Why does namco have to push out nerfs every time at night on the East Coast. Surely something like Hawaii time would be better for most players.

anyways, saw a reddit comment talking about release leroy for those who didn't experience him

quote:

1,1 ch jab string dealing 50 damage and wall splatting
ff3 being homing, + on block and launching on hit - basically an electric
df1 being -1 AND having followups, something that was unique to Heihachi, making it insane paired with his ch tools
Orbital being -3 on block - A mid low crushing launcher with the same frames as a df1 on block
Cane being a long ranged mid launcher that was +8 on block, basically a second Rage Drive, and it also dealt like 50 damage before the combo so it was absolutely insane
d2, delayed 4 combo ender making sure every combo of his did 85+ without a wall
His wall combo with hermit 4, d1+2 dealing insane damage - like nearly 40 - and also floor breaking on forgotten realm
b2 parry and b1+2 mid i12 ch launcher being impossible to whiff punish

e- Oh yeah all of this was on top of having two oppressive parry options.

It was the dumbest thing I saw in my tekken career.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 29, 2024

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They said that this patch was primarily about fixing unintended behavior rather than any major game balance issues. I think they are purposefully avoiding major changes before Evo Japan

Seltzer posted:

Yeah this is just fixing behaviors to be how they were intended, that does lead to some things being technically nerfs or buffs but they aren't making these changes one what characters they think are weak or overtuned yet.

Stockholm syndrome

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Keep plugging btw they're never gonna do anything

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The shop is up. The prices are... ambitious. And the expendable fireworks are certainly choice. Decent skins though, I suppose.

I admit to disappointment that there's nothing for my characters. I'm willing to unlock more customization options as long as it isn't underwear and bikinis. I may be part of the problem. :v:

If anyone buys an avatar skin, let us know if they're one-piece or modular please.

Late edit: Oh, the skins are actually reasonably priced at like $4 a pop. I thought 500 Tekken Bux were $50, not noticing prices were in my local currency.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 3, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone use their little multiplayer avatar? I just do quick and ranked matches and didn't really check out the avatar lobby.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yeah, I started by fighting ghosts and used the lobbies to find people. They're pretty nostalgic with the arcade vibe. They must be popular too, because there's always a bunch of instances up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
a bunch of online tourneys are using the fight lounges to organize since spectating via normal lobby is still somewhat bugged and unreliable.

i like this and kinda hope it stays this way, it's like a lil local every time

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Sounds like I'll have to take my constantly scowling hotpants Gollem into the lounge to check it out. The store was pretty boring, I didn't think they'd literally shown everything in the preview but there's nothing else there.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Glaciating/status/1763346360554664439

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
That's some good bait

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Broke into Red entirely on a 'don't press anything negative' philsophy with Jun, and whilst it's really just a milestone of 'Not terrible any more' it felt really, really good.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Took a break for a few days but back with Day 7 of practicing Electrics. Hit quite a bit of them in training, and spent more time than usual playing ranked and trying to hit them. About half of them were Electrics, but right now using them in places where I don't mind if the regular uppercut comes out.

Speaking of ranked, is it normal to fight people like, way outside your rank? Like I fought a Mighty Ruler; took a couple of rounds over the two matches but basically got smoked, which is to be expected, but uh...based on my +-3 ranking limits, I don't think I should be encountering them when I'm still a Warrior right?

I don't really mind playing people much better than me but the whole point I was trying it out in ranked and keeping it to a relatively tight ranking gap was so that I could practice how to hit electrics more consistently in real match settings while fighting people more or less around my skill level.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 1, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ve been watching a lot of good Yoshimitsu on YouTube and like… I think he’s actually good this time? Super big brain mode though

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Artelier posted:

Took a break for a few days but back with Day 7 of practicing Electrics. Hit quite a bit of them in training, and spent more time than usual playing ranked and trying to hit them. About half of them were Electrics, but right now using them in places where I don't mind if the regular uppercut comes out.

Speaking of ranked, is it normal to fight people like, way outside your rank? Like I fought a Mighty Ruler; took a couple of rounds over the two matches but basically got smoked, which is to be expected, but uh...based on my +-3 ranking limits, I don't think I should be encountering them when I'm still a Warrior right?

I don't really mind playing people much better than me but the whole point I was trying it out in ranked and keeping it to a relatively tight ranking gap was so that I could practice how to hit electrics more consistently in real match settings while fighting people more or less around my skill level.

There are two options for ranked search when looking for a ranked opponent: only +/- 2 rank difference and prefer +/- 3 rank difference. The latter is the default and it sometimes uses the term "prefer" very liberally as yes I too have been tossed against a battle ruler as a mere vanquisher which I believe is around a 7 rank difference. Swap to the former and you might have to wait longer for a match but you won't get wild outliers.

The fact that I went 2-3 rounds with a battle ruler Dragunov as a vanquisher Kuma before we both left it at one match (it was quite a jittery match, lots of frame drops, I suspect poor PC settings on their behalf) felt quite good but coming from SF6 where it's like, 1-2 star rank difference at the most was a little jarring to say the least!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sometimes it gives you something way out of the +-3 range for whatever reason, probably just to keep matchmaking times low. Might also be some hidden factor, I got put against a Shaheen like 10 Dan below me once but he was playing way, way above that level.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Like every fighting game I've ever purchased, I completely regret buying this. On it's face it seems like, oh yeah, gonna have fun, gonna chill and punch dudes, but every single match regardless of character I just get dunked on. Literally played a 100 prowess beginner dude and he perfected me twice, 0-3 set. I'm just gonna uninstall and rue the 60 goddamn dollars unless one of you has some trick for actually improving since playing the game doesn't seem to be working. I can get combos to work in lab, but in the match there's never an opening. Like I guess I don't know when it's "my turn"?

Maybe it's a frame thing? I try to just throw a 1, but the opponent is using moves that are faster and then I get punished and then it's combo time and I lose. It just seems impossible to figure out what to focus on to even unlock improving at other skills.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

You begin learning now, and you'll be competent by Tekken 9. That's how it's always worked.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Like every fighting game I've ever purchased, I completely regret buying this. On it's face it seems like, oh yeah, gonna have fun, gonna chill and punch dudes, but every single match regardless of character I just get dunked on. Literally played a 100 prowess beginner dude and he perfected me twice, 0-3 set. I'm just gonna uninstall and rue the 60 goddamn dollars unless one of you has some trick for actually improving since playing the game doesn't seem to be working. I can get combos to work in lab, but in the match there's never an opening. Like I guess I don't know when it's "my turn"?

Maybe it's a frame thing? I try to just throw a 1, but the opponent is using moves that are faster and then I get punished and then it's combo time and I lose. It just seems impossible to figure out what to focus on to even unlock improving at other skills.

One thing you might be doing is hitting buttons after they've hit you, they're usually plus in that situation and so nothing you do would really be fast enough

You pretty much can't go wrong with just backing up, pressing a few less buttons and seeing what's happening

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I have been a casual Tekken lover since the days of T3 and for the past few weeks I finally sat down to try and figure out fundamentals and understand its esoteric language. I'm routinely getting my rear end kicked but now I'm starting to understand why and it's super exciting.

Shout out to my Feng brothers and sisters. I stripped down his costume to make him a shirtless guy in slacks with a mohawk and he now feels like someone Jet Li would have to fight before he gets to the final guy. I love him.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flinger posted:

You begin learning now, and you'll be competent by Tekken 9. That's how it's always worked.

Begin learning now and you'll win at least 10% of your daily matches by this time next week

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Block more. Try to jab punish things you block. If the jab works, scale that up to slightly slower moves. Don't worry about combos. You're better served figuring out how to punish things right now. Throw early and often. You can interrupt the start-up of an attack throwing, and if you do, they get less time to break it. If you insist on wanting to land combos, find one launching move, rely on that, and figure out every conceivable opportunity to throw it out that you can.

But seriously block more. Stand guard covers every single attack in the game besides lows and throws. A patient blocking style will work far better than pressing buttons and eating counter hit boosted attacks in the middle and at the end of strings
Also, watch your replays. Turn on frame data. When you block something, look at the frame advantage number. Any time it is plus ten or more you can at least jab punish it. There are also twelve and thirteen frame moves you can use if you are plus by those amounts but I wouldn't trouble yourself looking for them. Finding a fifteen frame launcher is possibly worth it though, since plus fifteen is the break point for a juggle combo launching punish.

Also be good to yourself. Fighting games are hard and Tekken is especially difficult to learn. You wouldn't expect to pick up a musical instrument and be proficient immediately. This is no different.

Oh okay one more thing. Find a power crush move that is a heat engager. It's armored and will blow right through any high or mid. You will take the damage, but the move will come out. Now you are plus by a lot and in their face and have heat.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 1, 2024

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
on the other hand: all that poo poo is boring. you bought tekken for the big rear end juggle combos, so do 'em. Just use df1 a bunch, sidestep when they block it and df2 like I do

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think the easy tips can be broken down into:

1. if you just got hit you probably have to block.

2. Jab them, learn your jab strings, hit them with fast attacks until they respect you. If they duck a lot figure out what your fastest mid is and use that, or a nice quick mid string.

3. If you can get away with it even if you're negative you can try an attack where you crouch, armored move or sidestepping. Just adding here that "attack where you crouch" doesn't have to be an attack from crouch, which often suck. Look up your "high crush" moves that put you in crouch during the attack.

After they show you some amount of respect and aren't just mashing buttons on you:

3. Combined with 2 - you know all those strings? You don't always need to finish them. Sometimes you should just do the first 2 hits in a string, then just start into a different string. If they're respecting you they won't know when they can push buttons. When they start trying to interrupt, start finishing your strings.

4. Hit them with your + frame moves. If they don't respect you after that go back to jabbing, and if they do just keep hitting them with + frame moves.

5. If you can't break through the defense break out the throws and lows.

I've fought plenty of people in decent ranks who clearly have no idea what's going on besides these steps. Like they don't react at all to what I'm doing and are just constantly trying to take their turn. Don't try to do any fancy moves or setups until you're in much higher ranks where people respect each other by default. Basically you need to 1. win respect and get them to back off, then 2. keep the pressure up.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I have been a casual Tekken lover since the days of T3 and for the past few weeks I finally sat down to try and figure out fundamentals and understand its esoteric language. I'm routinely getting my rear end kicked but now I'm starting to understand why and it's super exciting.

Shout out to my Feng brothers and sisters. I stripped down his costume to make him a shirtless guy in slacks with a mohawk and he now feels like someone Jet Li would have to fight before he gets to the final guy. I love him.

I feel like Feng is a thread favorite, you're in good company here. I'll just give the one crucial Feng tip in case you don't have it - his b1 counter hit gets a free b1+2 shoulder if you do a little micro dash forward. b1,ff,b1+2. It really helps get people off you who always think it's their turn.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 1, 2024

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

If you could post a replay I think that would help, if you can't progress past 3 dan or so then there's probably some really clear you are doing wrong that people can point out for you.

My best guess is that you are attacking right after getting hit by them which generally you shouldn't do. Like if someone is just doing a canned string and you are pressing buttons during it you are basically guaranteed to lose.

Also jabs are great but you also need to use higher damage moves or else you aren't going to do enough damage to win the round. I think you should figure out what some of your characters strings are from the move list and try doing those.

But really I think seeing a replay would be the biggest help. If we can see what you are doing we can give some pretty basic advice that will definitely help you win at that level.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Part of the learning process of Tekken is getting a general feel for when it’s your turn, and it’s very easy to jump the gun until you get a better sense of the kind of pressure that particular characters can put out.

You can also try mixing in your 2+4 throw; if folks are mashing 1 in the lower ranks it won’t get broken.

But last I checked I have a 38% win rate in ranked and am still hanging out in Eliminator/upper orange, so don’t feel like you have to suddenly be winning a majority of your matches/rounds to see upward progress.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think generic 2+4 can still be broken by 1, it needs to be a command 2+4 (usually some direction + 2+4).

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Pick jun mash b3, uf4,3 and d3+4 and watch that win rate go up

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Actually yeah, you've got to tell us your character and then we can tell you what the win button is.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

You can straight up play dragunov with like, 5 moves and win pretty effortlessly against a lot of people

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Now do Paul, what are my win buttons

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Nice Van My Man posted:

I feel like Feng is a thread favorite, you're in good company here. I'll just give the one crucial Feng tip in case you don't have it - his b1 counter hit gets a free b1+2 shoulder if you do a little micro dash forward. b1,ff,b1+2. It really helps get people off you who always think it's their turn.

Thanks, that is a sick tip. I absolutely love shoulder-checking some fools.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Have you done the Arcade Quest for your character? It's a good primer on your character to identify punishes, launchers, and the basics of juggling off a launch.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Now do Paul, what are my win buttons

d,d/f,f+2 and d4,2,1,2 :hai:

(I know nothing of Paul other than those two things)

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I've come crawling back to tekken and have really clicked with Leroy, and have climbed to mid oranges after a couple of play sessions, whatever makes him a low tier definitely doesn't apply to these ranks and having a 5 frame universal parry really breaks tekken players brains, definitely getting that low representation buff.

Also he is swag as hell.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
The plethora of parries is one of my favorite rear end things about this game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

unattended spaghetti posted:

The plethora of parries is one of my favorite rear end things about this game.

Parries generally are very fair compared to a dozen other things in the game. In fact they're cool and feel good to use on reads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I don't like Reina's forward step parry. I always land it by accident, sometimes get unbreakable grabbed because of it, and the options out of it are pretty crap anyway, especially when I wasn't even intending to do it and have to quickly mash something (all the time).

Now Feng, there's a man who knows like a million useful parries.