Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Hello space friends, recently got an T-16000M FCS (the stick + throttle combo) and trying to get back into Elite again.

Can anyone share their bindings that hopefully have all the standard things in places that make sense, the defaults were pretty naff and I've been trying to gradually rebind stuff as I (re)learn the game but having to keep fiddling with the bindings is pretty disruptive to that process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
https://filebin.net/wqoyvn9aq9aj0twa

Here are mine, although be aware I use macros on a few of the buttons and would probably rearrange some stuff if that wasn't the case - I use the rocker next to the analog stick on the throttle as pip presets (on the graphic below it says fwd and reverse thrust, but I dunno why, I use the paddles as forward and reverse thrust override not the button), so flipping it up is 420 and down is 033, which is like "defence" and "attack" settings from which I can easily tweak. If you're not using a macro I'd maybe use that as previous/next subsystem or firegroups or whatever.

If you're having trouble remembering where you've bound stuff you can use this website: https://edrefcard.info/ where you upload your bind file and it generates a custom graphic showing what all the buttons do. For example here's mine filtered for ship controls:

edit: a lot of the peripheral stuff like scanners, advanced targeting and menu controls don't matter so much and are personal preference, but regardless of whether you use my binds or not I really recommend focusing hard on your core 6DOF and combat binds, making sure everything's accessible without moving your hands and with a fairly balanced workload per digit, if you see what I mean. For example, the default binds have pips set to the hat on the stick, which means if you need to change pip settings you need to move your thumb off the secondary fire button, which means you can't shoot and change pips at the same time. That kind of stuff can seem minor in the menu but it's pretty significant when you're in a fight - so make sure you can simultaneously pip and shoot, target and maneuver etc.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 19, 2024

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks Tommy! Seriously appreciated.

I've started with your bindings and can tweak as I go, but these are so much better then the defaults/what I had before it's ridiculous. The throttle will certainly take some getting used to, unsure if I'll keep that or put it back on a toggle but will play with it for a while and see.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Xik posted:

Thanks Tommy! Seriously appreciated.

I've started with your bindings and can tweak as I go, but these are so much better then the defaults/what I had before it's ridiculous. The throttle will certainly take some getting used to, unsure if I'll keep that or put it back on a toggle but will play with it for a while and see.

You can make the deadzone in the centre wider so it's easier to find zero throttle, and/or you can add a little roll of tape over the centre position on the throttle slider so it has a little tactile feedback. FWIW I have my throttle grip loosened off almost all the way (and lubed up) so it requires almost no force to move it. I throw it back and forth a lot for FA off combat so I really need it to be able to do foward and reverse without additional steps, but you could also just use forward throttle then use the paddle overrides and it'd be fine.

Also while I definitely advocate for the core flight bindings I've done, I will admit that a lot of the non-combat stuff is just slapped together or added in bits and bobs as I needed it. I don't explore, scan or SRV much and have never really cared to optimise those binds (actually I usually use an xbox pad for SRVs) so that might require attention, but yeah I'm glad it's useful anyway.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 20, 2024

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Tommy the Newt posted:

but you could also just use forward throttle then use the paddle overrides and it'd be fine.

Hmm, that's a good point. Probably wouldn't need a toggle and could just rely on the override for reverse when required. That's probably some argument to be made to get used to the throttle the way you have it, but I'm probably so far off "FA Off" schnanigans that it might not be worth it at the moment. Can always relearn the throttle part later when I'm more confident with everything else.

Tommy the Newt posted:

Also while I definitely advocate for the core flight bindings I've done, I will admit that a lot of the non-combat stuff is just slapped together or added in bits and bobs as I needed it. I don't explore, scan or SRV much and have never really cared to optimise those binds (actually I usually use an xbox pad for SRVs) so that might require attention, but yeah I'm glad it's useful anyway.

That's fine! The core combat/flight was really what I was looking for. The other stuff I can sort out slowly over time since there is less pressure that my ship will get blown up. Seriously, thank you!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
just noticed patch 18 on steam and lmfao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
lmfao continued:

Features of Note:
The research has finished, the prototypes have been made, and a production pipeline has been established - Rescue Megaships now stock Guardian Nanite Torpedo Pylons. Aegis has stated "We and all of humanity await news from any intrepid Commander able to bring this tool to bear against the Titans. Good luck".

Issue Tracker:
System Authority and Power Play agents have been supplied with calming tea and soothing music, so will now no longer have unprovoked aggressive tendencies. They will leave the anger to the pirates as is tradition.
SRV and ship shadows will no longer disappear in VR and flatscreen.

Bugs/Adjustments

Locations and Environments:
Daha Deti 1 A has been renamed to Lumitar in memory of a lost colleague and friend.
The on-foot free camera is now prevented from passing through ship hangar walls.

AI and Enemies
SRV pilots will no longer be prevented from docking at an unlocked engineer base if the SRV had recently been piloted by a crew member who was not recognised by the engineer.
Thargoid ships around Titans have had their optician prescriptions adjusted and will no longer detect players at unexpectedly high ranges.
Fixed Thargoid scouts sometimes going idle when they attempt to leave a Titan instance.
Fixed recon limpets not being able to reach their intended max speeds.
Players are no longer assigned murder crimes for dealing non-hostile damage to objects that are later killed.
Thargoid ships have had their alcohol levels adjusted and will now consistently exit from Spires without jittering or rubber banding.
Thargon swarms now dock more reliably with Hydra class Interceptors.

Ships, Suits, and Modules
The avatar image of telepresent multicrew members now depicts them in their flight suit, rather than as a generic holograms.
Caustic sinks will now drain existing caustic one at a time.

Fleet Carriers
A system in a Thargoid probing state can no longer be selected as a fleet carrier jump destination.

UI
Fleet Carrier captain's avatar is now correctly depicted in 'jump completed' and 'weekly upkeep' messages.
Introduced "Gravity Well" cockpit message to replace "Slow Down" when travelling at excessive speed near celestial bodies.
The option to share a bookmark to your squadron will now only be present if you have permission to share it. The remove bookmark quick action now only removes your personal bookmark, not the squadron one.
The displayed count of commanders present in on-foot conflict zones now updates correctly as commanders join the fight.
Transferring items between backpack and ship storage is now correctly reflected in the ship's storage UI.
Nav beacons now display the correct activity type icons on the ship navigation panel in systems being invaded by Thargoids.
The reset to orbit button is now disabled until players have completed the tutorial and have a commander.
The fleet carrier countdown to jump timer now updates correctly when viewed from an on foot terminal.
Asteroid bases are now labelled as such in the 'Points of Interest' section of the System Map.
A route set on the galaxy map will now be correctly recalculated after reloading the game.
The caustic damage removed notification now appears as a positive notification rather than a negative one.
Influence and reputation are no longer listed in mission rewards in cases where no influence or reputation are awarded.
Levelling up an engineer whilst in the workshop UI now unlocks higher tier modifications without requiring the workshop to be closed and reopened.
The FSS scanner Info panel now correctly lists the factions in an AX conflict zone.
Scythe collection drones will now show up as "Unknown" in the Contacts panel until the owning Scythe has been scanned.
Corrected some phrasing in the weekly influence graph of the Galaxy Map.
Resolved outdated descriptive text on the Titan's locations.
Thargoid Wakes are no longer targetable at extremely large ranges.
Corrected some minor grammatical errors.

Graphics
Fixed an issue where one of the Federation branded adverts seen at stations could load an incorrect background image
Fixed a positioning issue with some of the floating adverts outside stations, which could clip into the docking portal
The loading screen for the Eagle now shows the missing wing-tip geometry
Adjusted how some rocks snap to the ground at Spire sites
Fixed one of the wrecked Type9 models missing some geometry on the highest LOD
Adjusted some meshes on the Spires to prevent the camera from intersecting through the model
Fixed some visual issues with the Wheel prop, seen at some Agricultural settlements
Fixed streaming issues with the Thargoid Rewards shipkits, where the model and texture data were taking an excessive amount of time to load
Fixed a missing animation on the Huge Pulse Laser, so that the weapon barrel recoils as intended
Adjusted a shader used for glass materials on some buildings for a new version which improves visuals and stops rendering errors with hologram adverts
Fixed the flipped vanity cameras on the Empire Fighter
Fixed some scatter rocks which would interfere with payer spawning at a settlement
Fixed a problem with the DiamondBack Explorer Science shipkip not retaining the correct paintjob colours
Adjusted the hangar cameras for the Imperial Cutter due to them intersecting with some geometry
Adjusted the height map used for a Tourist settlement, so that the SRV can deploy more easily from a landing pad
Fixed the landing gear on the DiamondBack Explorer so that it doesn't appear in front of the hatch
The default VR Camera for the Fleet Carrier Management Screen is now orientated correctly
Fixed some UI Schematics for the abrasion points seen at Titans
Fixed some issues with paintjobs UVs on the Federation Corvette and Gunship
Minor fix to the Christmas Jumper cosmetic items
Fixed some LODs and decal issues on the Empire Fighter
Adjusted some dirt and damage maps used for the Diamondback Explorer to improve quality

Thargoid War
Fixed an issue where escape pods saved from star systems with Thargoid Spire Sites would sometimes not contribute to the war effort.
Improved reporting of counter-attack states

Time to collect your Guardian Nanite Torpedos and challenge the Titans!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Ichabod Tane posted:

Time to collect your Guardian Nanite Torpedos and challenge the Titans!

https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1762159612243988711

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'm gonna try to figure out what to do to make it so I can fly into the maelstrom with a Chieftan I rigged up. Seems like there are a bunch of people in there, but I'll have to see what it's like in 5 hours when I'm off work.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Ugh I guess it's time to grind the materials for the things you need to even get to the titan, let alone shoot at it.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ugh I guess it's time to grind the materials for the things bgs you need to even get to the titan, let alone shoot at it.

nah

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ugh I guess it's time to grind the materials for the things you need to even get to the titan, let alone shoot at it.

the titans will probably be all dead before you can finish, also :lol: "the end of humanity is at hand, proud commander, here, have these secret weapons to prevent it" *slaps your hands away* "NO! at first, you must grind. only the worthy deserve our fine weapons" :mad:

sounds like the titans could just blow everyone up with all those humans being busy doing odd jobs instead of fighting them

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The Thargoids win the war, the bubble as we know it is effectively destroyed and Powerplay V2 will actually be what's left of humanity trying to seed pockets of the rest of the galaxy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

the titans will probably be all dead before you can finish

lol

the titans are map fixtures, they won't go anywhere unless fdev godhands them out in a couple months

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Xik posted:

The Thargoids win the war, the bubble as we know it is effectively destroyed and Powerplay V2 will actually be what's left of humanity trying to seed pockets of the rest of the galaxy.

This would be the most interesting thing the game has ever done, so there's no chance it's happening

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

AX people are currently playing 'bug or feature' with the new Titan content (it seems mostly bugged), but yeah there's no way they're getting destroyed dynamically. If they ever move it'll be as a result of weekly relog quotas as usual. This game is structurally incapable of providing the drama people want from it, even the most dramatic 'they've destroyed the bubble' narrative would need Thursday downtime and be visualised in the worst PowerPoint cutscene imaginable.

It is what it is, just carry on moving numbers, shooting fish and scanning spheres.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Xik posted:

this would have been such a better premise for the game to begin with

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Polo-Rican posted:

this would have been such a better premise for the game to begin with

by virtue of being a premise

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

There was a Frontier Unlocked today where they talked about Elite today. Update 19 is coming sometime this summer. Is a "full rework" of Powerplay, looked at how to make it more accessible and keep what works and change was doesn't. Before update 19, there will be some small updates with tweaks and fixes. After 19 there are more small tweaks and fixes. After that, a "new feature" is coming "this year". Still not saying what it is. Showed renders of Python Mk2. It's functionally different from Python and sounds like it's basically in the same class as the Chieftan? Coming "relatively soon." Then they were trying to sell people on being part of the partner program on twitch.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Genuinely curious to see what they think 'works' about powerplay

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
They indicated that they expect more combat engagement in power play and that the python V2 would be a combat oriented ship to rival the mamba and FDL so take whatever you can from that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Worf posted:

i can already make some assumptions about python2.

2x class 4 hard points, 2x class 2- or 3-4x class 1, less versatile interior, worse maneuverability, 30% more expensive across teh board.

probably 70 hull hardness and 8 utility slots. probably will appeal to ppl that wanted a compromised fedvette w better jump range

maybe slightly stronger weaponry than i give it credit for but not much. at best 2x 4, 1x 3, 2x 2

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
well apparently it's 6 hardpoints and 6 utility slots, from the video. allegedly a combat ship with a PVP focus, weirdly.

Looking at the model, people seem to think it's 4 large hardpoints and 2 medium hardpoints. Other stats remain to be seen.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The topside hardpoints are consistent with the regular python, 2 large 2 med in their usual positions, which seemed to be the case on the concept art too. Remains to be seen what's on the underside. Pretty funny that they're designing it for PvP, it almost certainly won't be good for it unless it's significantly lighter and faster than it has any right to be, also python fixed convergence isn't the best. Could be a good pve ship though, 6 guns and 6 utilities would make it a strong AX ship.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Designing anything for pvp in this game seems insane when engineered ship power creep is still so extreme.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lol they removed the material requirements for the pulse neutralizer and caustic sinks

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/titan-combat-rewards-changes

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tommy the Newt posted:

The topside hardpoints are consistent with the regular python, 2 large 2 med in their usual positions, which seemed to be the case on the concept art too. Remains to be seen what's on the underside. Pretty funny that they're designing it for PvP, it almost certainly won't be good for it unless it's significantly lighter and faster than it has any right to be, also python fixed convergence isn't the best. Could be a good pve ship though, 6 guns and 6 utilities would make it a strong AX ship.

I'll :lol: so hard if :frontear:, in its dumb approach to balance, makes the "combat" Python II so light you can get an explorer-level jump range out of it.

Of course Frontier will then ruin the ship by locking half of its module slots to combat-only equipment, to enforce their ideas like they're loving space cops

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Lol they removed the material requirements for the pulse neutralizer and caustic sinks

too bad, i was rooting for total thargoid supremacy

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
They should just go back to the Thargoids occasionally pulling you out of hyperspace one time in a thousand

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

They should just go back to the Thargoids occasionally pulling you out of hyperspace one time in a thousand

In 200 hours that only happened to me once but it was at like 2am and it was terrifying.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've been from one end of this galaxy to the other and I've never seen some all-powerful thargoid once

Legit I think I have like 2k hours in this game

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

As a console plebian I just switch over to No Man's Sky when I want to pretend I have Odyssey. So far I hate the space/flying bits of NMS and wind up wishing that part were more like ED.

Gonna start naming all my settlements with ED starport names.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

the more I read the more it sounds like they really are going to do the stupid thing and rip AX out of the game entirely with a "we won, the thargoids are gone"

rip to anyone who spent a lot of time and effort engineering AX ships and gathering AX material for ships that are gonna end up completely mothballed

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the more I read the more it sounds like they really are going to do the stupid thing and rip AX out of the game entirely with a "we won, the thargoids are gone"

rip to anyone who spent a lot of time and effort engineering AX ships and gathering AX material for ships that are gonna end up completely mothballed

I honestly expect them to work thargoids into the revamped power play. I doubt AX is going away but it will not be the titans, but whatever comes after.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I really hope this doesn't happen, because AX coming can be annoying but it is at least interesting. I managed to fly to the titan last night and it's pretty cool other than figuring out how to get past the stupid pushback wave (you have to keep holding the neutralizer button down and you need to make sure you put pips into sys or it will just turn off). I don't know why :frontear: thinks that the neutralizer is interesting gameplay, tbh.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Over the course of several years, I've been struggling with a bug that's game-breaking - so I'm hoping that this issue can get it resolved.
To that end, since Fdev in their infinite wisdom decided that their issue tracker needs a karma system - can I ask everyone who's able and willing, to go give it a prod in the right direction?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Over the course of several years, I've been struggling with a bug that's game-breaking - so I'm hoping that this issue can get it resolved.
To that end, since Fdev in their infinite wisdom decided that their issue tracker needs a karma system - can I ask everyone who's able and willing, to go give it a prod in the right direction?

I'm not really sure, but have you tried doing this with another system, to ensure the bug is not related to your graphics card?

Because I've sometimes logged 7+ hour sessions into this dumb game and never experienced this.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Libluini posted:

I'm not really sure, but have you tried doing this with another system, to ensure the bug is not related to your graphics card?

Because I've sometimes logged 7+ hour sessions into this dumb game and never experienced this.

Have u tried reading the link

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Libluini posted:

As Worf already pointed out, that's covered by the issue description - see video 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Titan Taranis has been defeated, that was insane