Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Karlheinz Schreiber was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison. Mulroney got treated like an elder statesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Man I would expect all those politicians to poo poo on his grave.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol are they all really terrified that his estate/worthless failchildren are going to sue if they call him a crook?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
No, this is what you do when you remember that one day you too will die and you don't want your successors poo poo talking your corpse.

Everyone plays nice.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

With apologies to George Carlin:

Aw that poor guy. He died. Poor guy. That other dude? Nah that crooked fucker's still goin.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mulroney was a loving traitor that sold his country to the Americans

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Remember that CBC doc from back in the mid 00s that was all "man he had a troubled time as the PM, huh?" I mainly remember it because it had a soundclip where Mulroney said something like "even loving Hitler had something nice said about him over 10 years." and all I could think was "then maybe you shouldn't have signed up for NAFTA or done that AirBus poo poo."

Another one bites the dust

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The CBC changed the wording in the title of their article from “…one of Canada’s most divisive Prime Ministers” to “…one of Canada’s most consequential Prime Ministers”.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Consequently, they were divided.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

not the former conservative PM I was hoping for but I shan't complain

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
We're tiny, we're toony, we're all little happy
That Brian Mulroney is dead from SCD

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll give this much to Jagmeet, this feels like THE most phoned-in eulogy post, and I appreciate that.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Mulroney was out a decade before I was even slightly politically aware so I know next to nothing about him except that people seem to dislike him generally.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think it's telling that Trudeau's and Caroline Mulroney's tweets are the only ones (barely) over 10K likes.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Fidelitious posted:

Mulroney was out a decade before I was even slightly politically aware so I know next to nothing about him except that people seem to dislike him generally.

Mulroney got the ball rolling on free trade agreements and political processes that appeased the Americans and greatly weakened the Canadian welfare state.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All I really remember about Mulroney is Air Farce doing impressions of him on the CBC that I was too young to understand

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
He was the first PM I remember. The worst I think but we haven’t had any good ones either.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Every Prime Minister is Mulroney now but he was the first

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If "He really didn't like apartheid" is the best thing you can say about someone...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Glimpse posted:

Every Prime Minister is Mulroney now but he was the first
Brians Mulroney

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

I remember this being a good primer. Worth looking at value village, etc. I've seen multiple copies on the shelf at my local.
https://www.amazon.ca/Take-Crime-Corruption-Greed-Mulroney/dp/0770427081

Stevie Cameron also wrote a soul-crushingly in depth book on Robert Pickton.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

flakeloaf posted:

If "He really didn't like apartheid" is the best thing you can say about someone...

We can't even say that about our current prime minister.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CBC spent 30ish minutes covering his legacy last night and didn't even mention that he loving sued the country for libel and won a $2.1M payout by lying his rear end off. He didn't even have the decency to slink off into the darkness after it was revealed he accepted a briefcase with hundreds of thousands of dollars in it several briefcases with tens of thousands of dollars in them from a guy he claimed to barely know. All he did was apologize (extremely unconvincingly) for accepting the bribe, but never actually gave any of the money back. I don't remember why his corrupt rear end didn't rot in jail before he died but every two-bit journalist who memory holed that incident is pathetic.

Whatever the National Observer is at least bothered to mention the obvious as well as his reputation for corruption and patronage appointments, although I don't know how accurate it is as a relativrly brief summary of his career.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 1, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

you cant have a dude on the money who famously did backroom bribery deals and then hold another dude accountable for doing the same thing 90 years later its just not canadian

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Precambrian Video Games posted:

CBC spent 30ish minutes covering his legacy last night and didn't even mention that he loving sued the country for libel and won a $2.1M payout by lying his rear end off. He didn't even have the decency to slink off into the darkness after it was revealed he accepted a briefcase with hundreds of thousands of dollars in it from a guy he claimed to barely know. All he did was apologize (extremely unconvincingly) for accepting the bribe, but never actuslly gave any of the money back. I don't remember why his corrupt rear end didn't rot in jail before he died but every two-bit journalist who memory holed that incident is pathetic.

Whatever the National Observer is at least bothered to mention the obvious as well as his reputation for corruption and patronage appointments, although I don't know how accurate it is as a relativrly brief summary of his career.

quote:

Although there is no evidence that Mulroney accepted kickbacks while prime minister, he acknowledged in 2003 that shortly after stepping down in 1993 that he accepted $225,000 over 18 months from Schreiber, in three cash payments of $75,000 each. Mulroney was still a member of the House of Commons of Canada when one of the payments was made. Mulroney claims that this money was paid to him for consulting services he rendered to help promote a fresh pasta business, and to develop international contacts for Schreiber. Mulroney had previously not admitted accepting any commissions from Schreiber during his lawsuit against the Canadian government, and later under oath specifically denied any business dealings with him. Mulroney has not yet provided evidence of any work he performed for that money, and declared it as income to Revenue Canada only years later, when Schreiber had come under criminal investigation in Germany. Schreiber ridiculed their dealings in pasta-macaroni as nothing more than being sent a single flyer, and has stated that the three separate payments were actually $100,000 each in $1000 bills, a total of $300,000.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

At Issue might be a fun watch this week because I feel like Coyne and Herbert both seem to dislike Mulroney and jokingly bring up the briefcase etc whenever they can (and there really should be no opportunities to do so in the year 2024, and yet they still do this lol).

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Tbh I can’t blame the guy I would also love being given a briefcase of cash right now. 1000$ bills would be cool, but I would rather fresh 100$’s so that when I open the briefcase I get a beautiful whiff of maple syrup.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Duly corrected for accuracy, but lol at anyone hanging on to the "not while prime minister" part (surely nobody not named Mulroney thinks that waiting three whole weeks after resigning to accept the payment is in any way exculpatory).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Duly corrected for accuracy, but lol at anyone hanging on to the "not while prime minister" part (surely nobody not named Mulroney thinks that waiting three whole weeks after resigning to accept the payment is in any way exculpatory).
I also like how it was never reported to Revenue Canada until the scandal broke years later.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

I don't understand why this sort of thing isn't heavily punished. Like, minimum 40 years in prison kind of thing. They're doing a cost-benefit analysis and choosing criminality because the costs are basically nil (there were actually just more benefits in this case, lmao).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The cowards are going to throw that motherfucker a state funeral

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/brian-mulroney-dead-reaction-1.7131263

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Once he’s buried in the ground let’s build a golf course over his grave and then give the rights to the Mohawk.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Hello please pay me 75,000 grand in cash every month for my project. do no ask what the project is

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

PittTheElder posted:

Ben and justin are like best friends dude. What's he gonna do, poo poo talk his best friends dad?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fidelitious posted:

Grown ups loving hated him when I was young

Learning about him in history class, they were right!

He's sucking on Thatcher+Reagan in hell now

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mr. Apollo posted:

The CBC changed the wording in the title of their article from “…one of Canada’s most divisive Prime Ministers” to “…one of Canada’s most consequential Prime Ministers”.

I'm surprised they didn't just take the easiest route and change it to "…one of Canada’s Prime Ministers".

Let us all take a moment to honor the memory of Brian Mulroney, a Canadian prime Minister that existed."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its kind of amusing that so few news outlets are actually getting regular people's opinions on Mulroney.

Because they know people hated him and that would ruin the narrative.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Once he’s buried in the ground let’s build a golf course over his grave and then give the rights to the Mohawk.

Bury him in the capital and build a Memorial to the Victims of Capitalism on top.

Furnaceface posted:

Its kind of amusing that so few news outlets are actually getting regular people's opinions on Mulroney.

Because they know people hated him and that would ruin the narrative.

That would require paying reporters.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

PittTheElder posted:

Don't all our heads of state get a state funeral? Even if they were lovely? Not a conservative, don't see the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They do (except R.B. Bennet who was elevated to the peerage and buried in the UK), but we could have set a good precedent that if you're implicated in a bribery scandal and then sue the government about it, you don't get one.