Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

I got the TMobile mlb.tv email. Sign up is between March 26 and April 1, so heads up everyone with TMobile

This is the only time of year I envy people with TMobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Soul Glo posted:

why though

much like miles morales and other spidered-styled mens, money michael is always jumping around and climbing walls

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I thought it was miles mikolas at first and was very confused

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Giants' projected 5th starter, Tristan Beck, has an aneurysm in his pitching arm and probably needs surgery. Now would be a cool time for them to sign Blake Snell.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

uggy posted:

I thought it was miles mikolas at first and was very confused

Call me when they have a bobblehead inspired by Mikolas' clone who was brainwashed into thinking he was the original, Mike Moustakas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1763580796114186508

Aww that's a shame.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Do you follow more Yankee twitter accounts or Astros ones? Are there any Astros twitter accounts other than that really mad guy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't follow a single Yankees account. This one was from defector Barry. I also don't follow Schwab, who is the really mad guy, but I do follow dozens of other Astros accounts.

https://twitter.com/barry/status/1763604009355534584

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Last season you'd need four services to watch one Yankees series against the Jays

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Could be worse. Could be Apple.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

I also don't follow Schwab, who is the really mad guy

Remember the show "Stump the Schwab" on ESPN?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Just wondering if anyone has read The Tao of the Backup Catcher. Looking for a book for my cousin's kid who's 15 and catches for his school team and loves baseball. He's actually into books in general, but the reviews say it's repetitive and gets boring.

Also, there was another book with a similar theme on catching that I read about here maybe a couple years ago, if anyone remembers the title I'd appreciate it- thanks.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

socketwrencher posted:

Just wondering if anyone has read The Tao of the Backup Catcher. Looking for a book for my cousin's kid who's 15 and catches for his school team and loves baseball. He's actually into books in general, but the reviews say it's repetitive and gets boring.

Also, there was another book with a similar theme on catching that I read about here maybe a couple years ago, if anyone remembers the title I'd appreciate it- thanks.

Tim Federowicz was just on EW and he apparently wrote a book called The Modern Day Catcher: Embracing Innovation for Excellence on the Field that is supposedly accessible for a high schooler.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

got some chores tonight posted:

Tim Federowicz was just on EW and he apparently wrote a book called The Modern Day Catcher: Embracing Innovation for Excellence on the Field that is supposedly accessible for a high schooler.

Oh cool, I'll look it up- thanks for the suggestion!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was gifted The Baseball 100 which I've been enjoying very much, something of a history lesson of MLB told through 100 of the greatest players of all time. I don't agree with all of the rankings necessarily but the prose is consistently interesting and - very importantly - the author correctly believes that Ichiro is the true hits king and not Rose.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I was gifted The Baseball 100 which I've been enjoying very much, something of a history lesson of MLB told through 100 of the greatest players of all time. I don't agree with all of the rankings necessarily but the prose is consistently interesting and - very importantly - the author correctly believes that Ichiro is the true hits king and not Rose.

I'm already angry at whichever rear end in a top hat BBWAA writer decides to leave Ichiro off the ballot for publicity

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

Same author wrote The Machine which is practically a paean to Pete Rose (good book anyway though), so that's saying something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Joe has said on a few occasions that the rankings are soft and kinda narrative driven. Mike Trout for example is #27 because that's his number.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

mcmagic posted:

Do you follow more Yankee twitter accounts or Astros ones? Are there any Astros twitter accounts other than that really mad guy?

how dare they post baseball news or views in this, the news/views thread

zoux posted:

Could be worse. Could be Apple.

I still haven't watched a single game on apple and I will continue to not do so even when they get the world series in a decade

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Joe has said on a few occasions that the rankings are soft and kinda narrative driven. Mike Trout for example is #27 because that's his number.

Yeah that tracks, and there's nothing egregious or anything.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Same author wrote The Machine which is practically a paean to Pete Rose (good book anyway though), so that's saying something.

He prefaces it with "I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, most of all Pete Rose who has disagreed very passionately about it to my face, BUT-"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The importance of the hit record to Pete Rose personally is one of the reasons I like recognizing Ichiro for it instead

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I still haven't watched a single game on apple and I will continue to not do so even when they get the world series in a decade

The Apple picture quality and score bug is so good, and the overall experience is still so meh.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants sign Marson Chapman?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1763789557378560236

our biggest need at this point was a SP but I'll take it!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it definitely makes the team better, but "sign chapman to a short term deal and, idk, trade jd davis for a back of the rotation type guy" feels like a lot more work for a lot less payoff than just "sign snell lol"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants sign Marson Chapman?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1763789557378560236

our biggest need at this point was a SP but I'll take it!

Goddamn that's a bargain, are their any opt-outs? Either way Boras is getting slaughtered on his top guys this year.

e. Yeah it's basically the Bellinger deal again with slightly less cash:

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1763794006688096363

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
https://twitter.com/panasonicdx4500/status/1763773533115564307

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Nick asking the real questions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Probably about as close as a guy who's made near $100M in his lifetime and is still due tens of millions more can come to understanding that capitalism is dumb bullshit hell bent on taking away everything good in your life to shave a fraction of a penny off the cost of doing business at all times at the expense of anything else.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sydin posted:

Goddamn that's a bargain, are their any opt-outs? Either way Boras is getting slaughtered on his top guys this year.

e. Yeah it's basically the Bellinger deal again with slightly less cash:

Boras is sort of stuck in a situation where he has not enough buyers, but he's still eating well with these opt-out deals and the overpay he got for Lee.

If we presume that a player opt-out's value is worth equal to another year, which 'feels' about right to me, I'd rather take three years with opt-outs every year than a six year deal. I don't think Boras was willing to go lower than that.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 2, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Apple games got perfectly mediocre for national games last year. There’s still some stupid branding and nonsense but they clearly recognized what they were doing wrong the first year and hired actual baseball tv people in front of and behind the camera. Now it’s no worse than an ESPN game.

Except of course for having to pay an additional fee for it. But loving ESPN threw a NY Rangers game on ESPN+ this winter so gently caress them too.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I’ll be curious to see if Boras has to do the same kind of deal with the pitchers as well

It makes a certain amount of sense that he had to resort to what are essentially pillow contracts for Bellinger and Chapman, because the market for position players is always going to be smaller. But every contender needs another high-end pitcher, so in theory he should be less willing to bend on the other two. On the other hand, the clock is ticking down if these guys want to be on an Opening Day roster, and the teams have been successful at not meeting his demands this offseason

I wouldn’t want to go six or seven years on Snell, but if the parameters of the deal are now a three-year deal with opt-outs, the Braves should absolutely be in on it. Push Lopez, Elder, and the young guys further down the depth chart and give yourself some insurance against Sale and Morton’s health

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Acuña has "irritation around his meniscus", will fly to California for treatment (with the doctor who did his surgery before) but isn't expected to miss time yet.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 2, 2024

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm going to kill myself

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They're putting it into their yachts

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

A drive into deep left indeed.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This uniform snafu is nothing a rebrand to Men’s Lingerie Baseball can’t fix.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it definitely makes the team better, but "sign chapman to a short term deal and, idk, trade jd davis for a back of the rotation type guy" feels like a lot more work for a lot less payoff than just "sign snell lol"

Snell wasn't in Oakland with Zaidi and Melvin.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1763969630828474772

It begins.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh no I guess Owen Caissie will have to play left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

Oh no I guess Matt Mervis will have to play left field.