Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

sushibandit posted:

Visible "weakspots" like charger abdomens should be actually-weak to everything instead of being a big fat phoney bullet trap of bullshit. Then they can give explosives innate armor destruction so they still have a niche and every metaslave doesn't feel the need to always railgun for optimal gameplay.

I think this stuff is only counterintuitive because games have trained us this just how things work. Arrowhead has tried to infuse some realism into how their systems work, like the whole partial mag reload thing.

In general (not any kind of expert here), if you shoot a soft target with a hardened armor piecing round, it will just go right through, make a relatively small hole, and often not cause life threatening damage unless it hits something vital. Hollow point (expanding) rounds and explosive munitions make bigger holes and do a lot more soft tissue damage on unarmored targets. Just think of it as explosive attribute guns do 10 times the bonus damage that regular armor piercing rounds do to squishy bits rather than the kinda confusing way they worded that initial statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh come on do i need to be online the exact second a major order is completed to get the reward? we liberated veld where the gently caress are my medals

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Section Z posted:

Meanwhile, Having to alt+f4 to close the game when it freezes after the dropship escapes just reminds me of why the more years go by, the more I resent the idea of "Better punish the impure gamers" shadowban systems. Even if as far as I know I have yet to be banished to the phantom zone anywhere.

"Man, blackouts in a storm sure suck... Yes Darksouls, I know I did a naughty disconnect. Thank you for reminding me I have sinned."

I mean, they probably have ways of being able to figure out when someone cheated poo poo into the game rather than punishing accidental disconnects.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

KingKapalone posted:

I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.

There's a strategem for throwing up an SOS beacon that supposedly makes your game priority for quickplays

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

explosivo posted:

You have to seek out the hole they're coming from. If you see stalkers that means there's a special spawn point on the map for them that can be destroyed as a sub-objective. Follow the direction they're coming from and you should eventually run into it.

one thing i learned the other day is that you can open the map and spam setting the marker until it locks onto the stalker hive. it will lock onto an empty objective. makes it much easier to tell where theyre coming from

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The worst part about stalkers is their ability to knock you through the terrain and cause your samples to be irretrievable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

I mean, they probably have ways of being able to figure out when someone cheated poo poo into the game rather than punishing accidental disconnects.

And Developers also in theory, have ways to not have a menu or loading screen reach 600 FPS or freeze loading back to base. So, I can't really feel bad for skewing on the side of jaded for "Oh yeah, sure, false positives will never happen." regardless of that worst case scenario not yet happening to me.

Granted I have also been burnt out by long strings of pre-launch bug reports, and then having my cheevos disabled because instead of fixing a softlock I have to console my way around on launch day the devs instead implemented to great applause "Punish cheaters for using the console commands". I am just loving donezo with "But the purity of the experience is more important than polish!" (And of course, if "Cheevos don't matter", why defend how sacred and protected they should be?)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So I didn't get the 45 medals we were supposed to get for liberating Veld. Did that happen to anyone else? I've only been playing 2 days but every mission I played was on Veld, so I assume I should qualify if there was some kind of "you need to do missions on that planet to qualify" thing they didn't mention. Tried logging off and logging back in and that didn't do anything either.

hbag posted:

oh come on do i need to be online the exact second a major order is completed to get the reward? we liberated veld where the gently caress are my medals

I had to log out and log back in like 5 times, but they eventually showed up

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

They've also said nothing will be long term time gated so it won't really be possible to "miss out" on stuff. So I assume it will be in the rotation forever.

How do you figure? Laser dog doesn't fire at patrols until and unless you trigger them in my experience, sneaking works fine. And it lets you mop up the patrol that much quicker if they do trigger, which is nice.

:monocle:

I just checked and you're right. With light armour that reduces detection range enemies are about 25-30m before they become aware of you. The guard dog engages within 25m, so it's never setting off patrols then like I thought it was.

The detection range seems the same regardless if you're if you're wearing the guard dog or not, crouched or prone, in bushes or the open. Wonder what that's about.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I had to log out and log back in like 5 times, but they eventually showed up

they fuckin better

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you severely injure a stalker without killing it, it will actually retreat back towards its nest.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Section Z posted:

And Developers also in theory, have ways to not have a menu or loading screen reach 600 FPS or freeze loading back to base. So, I can't really feel bad for skewing on the side of jaded for "Oh yeah, sure, false positives will never happen." regardless of that worst case scenario not yet happening to me.

Granted I have also been burnt out by long strings of pre-launch bug reports, and then having my cheevos disabled because instead of fixing a softlock I have to console my way around on launch day the devs instead implemented to great applause "Punish cheaters for using the console commands". I am just loving donezo with "But the purity of the experience is more important than polish!" (And of course, if "Cheevos don't matter", why defend how sacred and protected they should be?)

is there any punishment in this game for dropping matches? im confused what you are talking about

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is there any punishment in this game for dropping matches? im confused what you are talking about
Not this game in particular (As far as anyone knows), just a long string of games over the years. So people daydreaming "I sure hope they throw bad players into the infinity stalker pit!" just gets me thinking about how that mindset leads to respawning over and over sealed in a burning escape pod and punished for spawning a non-glitchy fire extinguisher.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wonder how they will be able to make this game harder in the future. After you have everything good unlocked it really feels like there is only so much it can throw at a coordinated team. I feel like by the time they start dropping more content half of players will have already smashed through Helldiver difficulty.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hommando posted:

The worst part about stalkers is their ability to knock you through the terrain and cause your samples to be irretrievable.

I got knocked into some terrain, like above the dirt but below rocks. I could shoot out still, so that was cool, cleared my little area out, who’s the cave bug now, assholes! But I was stuck prone and couldn’t move anywhere at all. I self rescued by ragdolling myself with a stim and a grenade and emerged from solid stone victorious with a pocket full of rares. Felt pretty drat awesome in that moment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The game could really use one of those features that pops the player out of terrain when they get stuck, and apply it to items as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

veni veni veni posted:

The game could really use one of those features that pops the player out of terrain when they get stuck, and apply it to items as well.

It's called holding onto a grenade and allows you to redeploy with a fresh batch of supplies.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i remember reading that the reason we lost malevelon creek in the first place was from people dropping matches, claiming that when you all quit a match it counts as a loss and loses some ground. no idea if thats true or not though

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also, punching your friend to rag doll them to freedom.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Also, punching your friend to rag doll them to freedom.
:hmmyes:
https://i.imgur.com/llsOQFv.mp4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jokes posted:

It's called holding onto a grenade and allows you to redeploy with a fresh batch of supplies.

You cant redeploy samples that are stuck 6 feet into the ground.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Was just in a game with randos, difficulty 5, where no one seemed to know you're supposed to loot samples off of your bodies. I spent half the time just running around collecting samples that were dropped.

Finally at the end, I had 15 samples on me, but I did right before pickup. No one called me back in, no one looted the samples, and they took off.

Samples earned: 3. WHAT a waste.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ragdolled FOR Freedom. :patriot:

veni veni veni posted:

You cant redeploy samples that are stuck 6 feet into the ground.

One of my newbie mistakes was falling into the same hole twice, trapping samples down there each time because I wasn't watching my feet.

It ended with me and another player staring down the hole. Then he jumped in and promptly died.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Play posted:

It also aids in truly ludicrous kill counts, 500 plus in certain missions in higher difficulties.

Speaking of which, is anyone else running with the Incendiary Grenades on bug planets? I dunno how much damage it's actually doing, but it feels really good to heave one on top of a bug breach and have it set fire to everything coming out for the next few seconds. I also get enormous kill counts and I'm not sure if it's cause I'm a huge badass compared to my squad (probably) or just because the laser backpack and the fire grenades are stealing all the last hits even if my squad is doing 98% of the damage.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
This game rules so much. Kiting a bunch of enemies around and finding an unexploded hellbomb and blasting it for 40 kills is rad af. Managed to kill a couple bile titans with eagle air strikes today and it's so satisfying to see them crumple in the middle of a fireball.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Veld has been saved from the Terminid menace. :toot:

Unfortunately they're using new spore bioweapons which have allowed them to spread to Angel's Venture and capture numerous planets in the Umlaut sector which were thought to be free from their fascist regime.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Speaking of which, is anyone else running with the Incendiary Grenades on bug planets? I dunno how much damage it's actually doing, but it feels really good to heave one on top of a bug breach and have it set fire to everything coming out for the next few seconds. I also get enormous kill counts and I'm not sure if it's cause I'm a huge badass compared to my squad (probably) or just because the laser backpack and the fire grenades are stealing all the last hits even if my squad is doing 98% of the damage.

It’s all the laser rover. All else being equal but one person having a shield and one having a laser drone, the drone player will have twice as many kills.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Veld has been saved from the Terminid menace. :toot:

Unfortunately they're using new spore bioweapons which have allowed them to spread to Angel's Venture and capture numerous planets in the Umlaut sector which were thought to be free from their fascist regime.

The war on OBEP continues (Organization of Bug-Exporting Planets)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I forget how many medals I had last night but I logged on to 48 just now so that was pretty cool.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Darox posted:

It’s all the laser rover. All else being equal but one person having a shield and one having a laser drone, the drone player will have twice as many kills.

That's a dumb metric, because regular-rear end enemies are not real threats, they're just fun things to kill. In which case, if that drone is stealing your kills, they're stealing your fun. Swap that dog out with some extra eagle air strikes or a jump pack

Speaking of, I hope they make the jump pack have a higher jump

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ulio posted:

Honestly I don't care if they don't nerf it but would love some other guns to get some love from the devs. The other shotty feels like crap.
The pump shotgun does 10% more damage than the Breaker but has 1/3rd the ROF and ammo, it's crazy.

Mind you I'd be fine with turning it's shot into a giant death cone instead of nerfing the Breaker. The Slugger is mostly fine since it has medium pen even though it says light in its info.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I waste a lot of breaker shots, and when you have a clip with 20% remaining I usually just dump it and get a fresh clip. Every punisher shot goes straight into bugs.

Strictly speaking, I find that punisher/slugger is just better for rambo shenanigans than anything else because of the ammo situation. It's actually a huge leg up if you're unlucky and don't find ammo. I always find a ton of ammo, of course, but still.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feeding samples to the geyser is a secret objective

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Owl Inspector posted:

Feeding samples to the geyser is a secret objective

it's how you refine common samples to rare samples

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Idk if its been discussed but is there any specific setting that hurts performance a lot? I have a 3080 and its tough to get the game to run above 60fps no matter what i change

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Idk if its been discussed but is there any specific setting that hurts performance a lot? I have a 3080 and its tough to get the game to run above 60fps no matter what i change

I'm not sure but try turning the resolution down. If your FPS still doesn't go up then your bottleneck is almost definitely your CPU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtM4ffG_zko

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

jokes posted:

Speaking of, I hope they make the jump pack have a higher jump
Jetpack needs to store like 20 seconds of thrust, then have a long recharge after its all used, like ~5 minutes. It's not comfy to use as-is.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jokes posted:

I waste a lot of breaker shots, and when you have a clip with 20% remaining I usually just dump it and get a fresh clip. Every punisher shot goes straight into bugs.

Strictly speaking, I find that punisher/slugger is just better for rambo shenanigans than anything else because of the ammo situation. It's actually a huge leg up if you're unlucky and don't find ammo. I always find a ton of ammo, of course, but still.

its 126 ammo vs 56. unless youre dumping every mag at over half filled, you will be getting more ammo with the breaker

you also get more ammo with each ammo box for the breaker

*edit this is not an argument for nerfing the ammo of the breaker (well, maybe a little wouldnt hurt), but i would like to see more ammo for the pump shotguns cause 56 is way too low imo

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

if i fire half my ammunition into the air the weapon actually isn't very good, please buff