Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.theonion.com/study-finds-more-americans-commuting-to-work-splattered-1851285164

quote:

Study Finds More Americans Commuting To Work Splattered On Grill Of F-150

quote:

WASHINGTON—In a trend that is reducing the nation’s dependence on fossil fuels by curtailing the total number of cars on the road, a study released Thursday by the Transportation Department found that more Americans than ever are commuting to work splattered on the grill of a Ford F-150. “Increasingly, U.S. pedestrians are getting absolutely nailed by full-size pickups that fail to stop and continue to speed down the road, carrying them for miles on the front of the truck before leaving them to regain consciousness in a ditch near their place of employment,” the report read in part, adding that with gas prices still well above $3 per gallon, these severely injured commuters were managing to avoid a hit to their pocketbook if not a hit to their head, chest cavity, arms, and legs. “Since 2020, this method of commuting has increased by nearly 40%, shrinking the carbon footprint of Americans who might have been behind the wheel of their own vehicle if they hadn’t been splayed across the hood of someone else’s. Their broken bones, punctured lungs, and brain bleeds are definitely helping to bring down tailpipe emissions.” The report went on to state that the benefits weren’t limited to the commutes of workers, noting that being splattered on the grill of an F-150 had also decreased congestion in the nation’s school zones.

a funny onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CHUD is an acronym so it gets capitalized (Conservatives Having Unserious Dialogues)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thoughts?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Your dildos have teats

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

which part of snoopy is that?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's 2024 you can put whatever you want in your butt

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

which part of snoopy is that?

:staredog:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The only known black bear in California's Santa Monica Mountains has died
By Amanda Bartlett
Updated July 23, 2023 1:42 p.m.

The only known black bear in the Santa Monica Mountains, and the first to be discovered living there in decades, was struck and killed by an oncoming vehicle on Highway 101 in Ventura County Thursday night, National Park Service officials said.

The 210-pound male black bear was estimated to be three to four years old. Named BB-12 by scientists who had been tracking him for the last three months, the bear was constantly on the move: He made a couple of visits to Malibu beaches and crossed the freeway and other major roads at least five times before, said Jeff Sikich, the lead field biologist for the mountain lion study at Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area.

“On the sixth time, he unfortunately got hit,” Sikich said in a statement. “When any of our radio-collared animals get killed on the road, it’s sad but not that surprising after 20 years of studying these animals in the region. Roadkill is the number one source of mortality for our mountain lions, so there’s no reason to believe it would be much different for other large carnivores.”

The bear was killed at the top of the Conejo Grade between Newbury Park and Camarillo. A motorist on the freeway reported the accident to the California Highway Patrol, and an NPS biologist driving by at approximately 10:30 p.m. saw the bear on the median and stopped to help. Once a CHP officer arrived at the scene, they transported the bear’s body to a National Park Service freezer facility.

BB-12 was first captured by wildlife officials in the western area of the mountain range on April 23. Scientists conducted a physical exam and collected biological samples and measurements of the animal before attaching an ear tag and fitting a GPS radio collar around his neck. The purpose was to track his whereabouts and know where he might attempt to cross freeways to find a mate, helping scientists better understand how wildlife is utilizing the urban landscape, Sikich said.

Until that point, a population of black bears had only been recorded in the Santa Susana Mountains about 40 miles away. Scientists believe that’s where BB-12 originated from. Occasional sightings had been documented in the Santa Monica Mountains before, but are considered rare: In the early aughts, a dead black bear was found under a landslide in Malibu Creek State Park. And in 2016, another black bear was documented three times on wildlife trail cameras in the central area of the mountain range but was never seen again, park officials said.

Other black bears have been spotted in the Simi Hills, near Westlake High School in 2006 and on the 101, but those observations are also considered to be few and far between.

“He appears to be the only bear here in the Santa Monica Mountains, and he’s likely been here for almost two years based on our remote camera data,” Sikich said of BB-12 in April. “This seems to be our first resident bear in the 20 years we have conducted mountain lion research in the area."

In the days leading up to BB-12’s death, the bear was observed wandering across the 101, over Highway 23 in broad daylight, and through the 118 freeway just before midnight. He returned to the Santa Susana Mountains, and wildlife officials also captured footage of the animal in Moorpark. His last known location was in Thousand Oaks on July 20.

“He provided valuable information in the short time that we studied him,” said Seth Riley, the wildlife branch chief for SMMNRA, which plans to spearhead a new study of wildlife along the Conejo Grade later this year. “Wide-ranging animals like this young male bear are especially useful for learning about connectivity in the region, and this was certainly true of BB-12, given the five major road crossing that he made in such a short time.”

“This just points even more to the importance of learning about connectivity, or the lack thereof, in this area,” Riley added. “In the long run, it would be great to increase opportunities for animals to safely cross in this area, too. We’ll see.”

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Weka posted:

I think it's bad! I think it should be prevented! That's why I am opposed to these parents sending their child off to play in the swamp!

So what is to stop them getting run over again, given everything that gets discussed in this thread? I just think 8 is a little young to be cycling around unsupervised.

It's not your kid and this isn't NextDoor.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

reminds me of this song about a butterfly getting hit by a car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keCHmZ3AYKU

they got hit by a car in a crosswalk shortly after writing this song

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Thanks for cleaning up the homeless encampments. Next time spare our parking | Opinion

DON’T CRAMP PARKING I wish to register my objection to installing “No Parking” signs on streets where there is definitely room for parking. I certainly understand the need to prevent people experiencing homelessness from camping on our streets, but there must be a better solution that does not penalize hard-working, tax-paying businesses and citizens — preventing them from parking in legitimate parking spaces. As president of Dightman’s Bible Book Center, we have been greatly appreciative of clean-up days when campers, tents and litter are removed. We also appreciate the efforts of the police to keep it clean. However, the ‘No Parking’ signs that were erected banned everyone from parking on the street. It just seems like there should be a way for legitimate parking to still be allowed. Wouldn’t a sign that said “No Overnight Parking Allowed” work to solve the problem? We have now received parking tickets and threats to have our cars towed for parking behind our business where we have parked for 21 years. It seems like common sense has been ignored. Please continue to work on the homeless and drug problem without destroying the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Donna Baker, Tacoma
https://www.thenewstribune.com/opinion/article286060291.html#storylink=cpy

On the one hand, you'd think this has to be a troll. On the other hand, that is apparently a real place. And that does appear to be the name of the owner.

It's just so loving on the nose.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

On the one hand, you'd think this has to be a troll. On the other hand, that is apparently a real place. And that does appear to be the name of the owner.

A few years back some shithead wrote a letter to the editor of the local rag here about how they came to go to PNC Park Faith and Family Night but their experience was ruined by the number of homeless people they saw

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

Whenever I see someone driving one of those ridiculous trucks they never use for work, I see this -

it's pure performative i-am-an-rear end in a top hat-bully for small men, with unfortunately fatal consequences due to their insecurities (this never happens elsewhere in society, ofc). I talked to one of them the other day and it is 100% that. Scared little dudes who feel somehow inferior with a chip on their shoulder. Driving a tonka truck that costs them a grand+ a month and is killing us all, because they don't know anything better.

e: although, to me that f650 conversion is so absurdly over the top, it loops back around and seems more like a performance piece. I'd file that more under weird, rich eccentric making a spectacle.

BIG BOYS NEED BIG TOYS

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah, mayor? hi! theres so many paupers in front of my bible study group that i cant focus to read what jesus would have done in this situation!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Yep, more large car parks are needed as a temporary band aid type fix so homeless people have somewhere to stay

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ham Equity posted:

On top of all that it's a terrible and dangerous spot for street parking due to area traffic patterns and the congestion there.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://i.imgur.com/R0519Z2.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I witnessed two drivers almost collide this week when one of them was cutting to the exit through the gore and one of them was cutting out of the exit through the gore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is like if someone who had only seen an elliptigo and didn't know bicycles existed tried to invent an elliptigo you could sit on

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

:hmmyes:

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

A couple days ago I was out on my bike and a dude in a range Rover was in the must turn right lane and decided he actually wanted to turn left so he just rolled out against the red light across four lanes and dared anyone to hit him

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
As a biker, I feel MUCH safer around self driving cars because I know they are paying attention.
I don’t need to check if they see me. They do.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Self driving cars around Second Hand Meat Mouth:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

aa goofy as it looks this could be a better bicycle design for stuff like sand, uphill, pulling passengers if they can make the seat/handle oscillate smoothly enough for w/e limb proportion without making it lock up or fall over

its like a car engine with a longer piston stroke, you can make way longer higher gears to compensate for the speed diff

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

that's a dildo bike

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

jetz0r posted:

that's a dildo bike

turn on yer monitor

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dildo Bike So What

If you really think about it, they are all dildo bikes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

withak posted:

Dildo Bike So What

If you really think about it, they are all dildo bikes.

Furiously gathering the best minds of a generation to engineer bikes for women where they sit sideways like Victorians on horses

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always ride my bike in high heels too

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Came way too close again to getting hit in a crosswalk by some idiot turning left. If you can't be arsed to move your head around your A pillar what the gently caress are you doing driving a car? I was close enough to get a solid punch into his driver's side window this time, felt it flex.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

*tugs collar*

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1763912442256531597

That's cool, who could possibly oppose thi-

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1763927774757064861

Woke mob trying to cancel traffic fatalities, smh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Precambrian Video Games posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1763912442256531597

That's cool, who could possibly oppose thi-

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1763927774757064861

Woke mob trying to cancel traffic fatalities, smh

seems like an out of proportion response... wtf?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

so weird, that guy usually seems really calm and rational

Apr 7, 2003

Jordan Peterson is mentally ill in ways that the psychiatric profession doesn't have words for

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The paucity of deaths just goes to show that it is time to end the LOCKDOWN on our automobiles.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

JP, tenured addiction expert, seriously damaged his brain by attempting to shortcut his way around benzo withdrawal by voluntarily entering a medical coma. freakin owned!!!

Apr 7, 2003

https://old.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/comments/1b4boot/can_we_get_someone_towed_for_this/

quote:

Can we get someone towed for this?

This is the view of our front door in southside, and it’s really the only exit to our house. I don’t know if the pictures do it justice but we all have to squeeze past this car to get in our house, and it parks like this multiple times a week.

We do normally have random people parked in front of our house and it’s not a bother to us but this car specifically parks so drat close and we’ve tried leaving nice notes saying “hey this is our front door if you could please leave a little more room”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amazing scrolldown reveal.

Call the fire marshal and start making popcorn.