Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lobster Henry posted:

It’s funny but logos and opening credits are such an important part of the magic of cinema for me. I absolutely love it when the 20Th Century Fox fanfare plays and then five seconds later some basically redundant text fades in saying “20th Century Fox presents”… hell yeah, here we go, it’s the movies baby

Me too! I love the Fox animated logo best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

The term is "Europudding"* and yeah it's great. Especially when they all have their logos but then they all have to be listed again in great detail in the opening credits.

It's actually a complete pain in the dick to try and cobble together these funding sources from what I've seen, not a fun part of the job at all.

(* Although I guess that might be more derogatory for when the end result sucks )

Picking up on Europudding: I think that is when the tail starts wagging the dog i.e. too many creative and production choices are made to satisfy coproduction requirements, rather than having the co-pro serve the film. Often a result of trying to force an unsatisfactory co-pro structure onto a film, usually for financial reasons. Balancing creative and financial considerations is an important element of the job.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I like it when movies play around with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV2Xutd3BM8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNxgMh3thSg

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not sure what you all are talking about with Time After Time, that movie rules. Same writer/director as that Freud/Holmes movie The Seven Per Cent Solution i mentioned some pages back.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So my wife and I are planning on watching The Abyss tonight. She's never seen it and it's been decade since I've seen it so I remember nothing.

What would be some thematically appropriate takeout for us to get?

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

so is this plex feature their own made up term? or what would you call a video clip before the actual movie starts (during which the studio animated logo and fanfare plays) but after the trailers, like a "please silence your cell phones" thing?

"Pre-roll" is used really commonly in digital advertising for "whatever video plays before the actual content starts," so definitely not an invention by Plex. (And in the context of the feature it's describing, which lets you play any arbitrary video file before the start of the movie, it's an appropriate umbrella term to use.)

"Bumpers" is another term that's commonly used for PSAs, advertisements, or any other messages that are included in the pre-roll, typically between the trailers and the actual movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

So my wife and I are planning on watching The Abyss tonight. She's never seen it and it's been decade since I've seen it so I remember nothing.

What would be some thematically appropriate takeout for us to get?

Maybe sushi?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
People talking poo poo on Time After Time in this thread and I will not stand for it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe sushi?

That's what I was thinking too. I used to try to cook a themed meal for our weekly movie night but that ended up taking up too much time and caused us to start avoiding films that ran much longer than 2 hours or else we'd be up far too late.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

People talking poo poo on Time After Time in this thread and I will not stand for it

I know it’s dumb but I am always amused by the “Scottish restaurant” jokes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I didn't get a chance to catch Dune in theatres. But soon enough I watched on a big enough screen. And I secretly didn't enjoy it that much,

Now to prepare for Part Two I am watching it on my laptop and it's just about phenomenal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
When I see that glorious Mosfilm or that Golden Harvest logo I just know I'm watching some poo poo I'm prolly gonna love. Still dope Mosfilm has a huge catalogue of theirs free on their youtube.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"Favorite film-opening logo" is a frequent discussion between my partner and I, I think I gotta go with the Toei waves crashing on the rocks.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

When I see that glorious Mosfilm or that Golden Harvest logo I just know I'm watching some poo poo I'm prolly gonna love. Still dope Mosfilm has a huge catalogue of theirs free on their youtube.

the Mosfilm youtube channel is incredible. their restoration of the extended version of Andrei Rublev looks better than Criterion's!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The old new line cinema logo was an all-timer

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Favorite film-opening logo" is a frequent discussion between my partner and I, I think I gotta go with the Toei waves crashing on the rocks.
Works so well for Battle Royale

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Big fan of the Shaw Scope intro

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZH5r2qP9OQ

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The podcast the art of the score has two good episodes on the history of studio fanfares if you want to learn about the music portion of the logos.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://youtu.be/SyIVY7Hl46E?si=oeZp0jN05xuq6Q7h

The Spider verse intros are my favorite from recent years. There's a shitload going on with the visuals, but more importantly the sound design is on point to get you hyped up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I skip past all of the production company logos, like a normal person

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Disgusting. I bet you try and skip past the Bink video screen too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

mods?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jay Rust posted:

Cinemasins Jeremy...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's probably the old 20th Century Fox fanfare for me. Though the 90s Universal intro was always good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Mosfilm youtube channel is incredible. their restoration of the extended version of Andrei Rublev looks better than Criterion's!

Rank films gong, Shaw Bros fake WB or the Janus head.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/madmaxbible/status/1763126319661908403?s=46

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Coyote vs ACME type beat.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The way The Leftovers did incredibly retro production logos and even turned the clock back 50 years on the film certification slide was a great gimmick. Getting a kinda-meta joke in early, and at the same time getting you into the atmosphere the film wanted to create.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the fake copyright notice surprised me. Nice little touch.

While we're talking studio logos, I also love the original Tri-Star intro.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Heavy_D posted:

The way The Leftovers did incredibly retro production logos and even turned the clock back 50 years on the film certification slide was a great gimmick. Getting a kinda-meta joke in early, and at the same time getting you into the atmosphere the film wanted to create.

The Holdovers, I guess

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gaius Marius posted:

Disgusting. I bet you try and skip past the Bink video screen too

Bink video made so much hay over so many years from being the "here's the price" video playing option. Respect that splash.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Holdovers, I guess

Dang, now I look like a fool, but yeah, that's the one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Did anyone say the Saul Bass Warner logo?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Heavy_D posted:

Dang, now I look like a fool, but yeah, that's the one.

Boy I was desperately trying to remember what the hell you were talking about.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched The Killer, which was ok. Noir enough to get away with the constant angsty narration, but I couldn't help but wonder if they were going to release a cut that has it cut out. Kept waiting for it to become more clever than it was, but a decent thriller.

Also watched Thunivu, an Indian heist flick. Netflix has a whole pile of big budget Indian action flicks, and after RRR and Jigarthanda DoubleX I'm slowly digging through them. This one felt like a huge miss though. Movie is presenting the main guy as the Alpha-est of Alphas, and the guy has a charisma to him but it's so clumsy with it you just start to groan. You don't have a scene like the bridge one in RRR that makes you go "woah gently caress that's cool", you instead have him doing TikTok dances while holding people hostage in a bank because it's wacky that he's not taking the situation seriously. Age old problem too of the guy at no point taking an L. Ah well.

Probably it posted at the time, but will re-plug that Jigarthanda DoubleX is loving great tho. Movie still sticks with me in a good way.

Priscilla was really well done. It's not understated that the movie wants you to think the relationship is hosed up, but it's admirable how much they let the situations speak for themselves by and large. A better movie than Elvis for sure, though I do still have a soft spot for the bombasty of the Baz.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The narration makes The Killer. It's just bad Le Samouraï if you take it out

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
idk where to post this but I stumbled across this video last night and it's a banger from start to finish, like Les Blanc by way of Christopher Guest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNAKjALO7c

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The narration makes The Killer. It's just bad Le Samouraï if you take it out

it's bad Le Samourai anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Forget Criterion Closet, give me more of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpTTrP-srRM