Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

hooman posted:

The problem is that unless you own multiple houses all of that "wealth" doesn't really exist, because you can't leverage it to do anything. I can't sell my house and profit on the appreciation because then I don't have a house and have to buy a house that has also appreciated.

All that an appreciating housing market does is make it easier to downsize and harder to upsize as the deltas between low, medium and high get bigger in real terms.

Dropping housing prices actually won't effect usable wealth. It will just hurt property speculators, and that's part of the risk you take with investments. I'm not going to cry for them any more that I would for people with shares in a company whose stock price eats poo poo.

Yeah, the growth in wealth has been for the most part a growth in interest payments to the banks.

Other factors though is that the quality of housing is much better than it used to be. Energy efficiency, not made of asbestos, less likely to have killed or maimed someone in its construction, solar panels, higher density including up (which is more expensive construction wise than out), size of livable area and amenities, etc. The vast majority of that investment is from wage/salary earners so to get that to happen has required an enticement (rent returns of capital growth).

I had assumed capital growth was nearly entirely to do with land value appreciation until my sister told me her four bed two bathroom build (as in she owns the land already) in Toowoomba was going to cost over $400k! gently caress me that is expensive, and I come from a family that was raised mean as a cut snake - she is a govt enviro so has decent standards and sustainability is a priority but also very cost conscious.

How to fix it, I am not sure. The quality investment is one part and we probably don't want to cut back on. Solar panel/energy efficiency investment is good until we have cheap zero carbon grid energy. Higher density (as in multi story apartments as opposed to detached ground level only) has benefits for transport and community, sustainability of construction including recycling previously disturbed earth should remain a priority. Safety, wages and conditions of tradespeople and construction workers need to be maintained at the very least if not improve further. Construction business and builders already go out of business often enough to suggest construction margins are not all of the reason.

It comes back to trying to at least zero out or minimize the value of the land itself. Not sure how to do that without encouraging people just to go back to clearing land for new suburbs. There was mention that the people living per dwelling had decreased meaningfully since covid so maybe a push towards moving nan back into the house, not moving kids out when they get married etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Well we all know what the housing crisis needs. Hand-drawn schematics!

So we need more houses, and the problem with the new development regions is that they're hideous sprawling soulless suburban hellscapes, with barely any services or connectivity or life. Go have a look around them and your heart will sink. It’s just a loving disgrace that at this stage of our evolution, this is the best we can do.

So instead of these acres of bloody McMansions like Marsden Park, get 8 medium-to-high density apartment buildings arranged in a circle, and put shops and schools and parks and pools and playgrounds and hopefully even a metro station in the middle. Bish bash bosh.

10-20 storeys high, 6-8 appartments wide, 1-2 deep. They can taper towards the top like a triangular prism if we want to make it more interesting. All nice and green in-between.

There is no good reason these aren't feasible, except that we seem to be allergic to any kind of central planning. They're literally building a new metro line through open space between the new airport and St Mary's as we speak, and ostensibly looking to build new communities around the stations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Well done, you have re-discovered USSR soulless apartments.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i don't get it, could you flesh that out a little more

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's a panopticon but you stick all the poors in it so they can look at each other

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

No no, these ones are soulful.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
instead of things being bad

they should be good

discuss

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mola Yam posted:

they should be good

discuss

you got any charts or maps to help me understand?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

they should be good

discuss

They should be properly planned rather than leaving it to capitalist developers

They should use space and resources as efficiently as possible

If given the chance, they should be geometrically pleasing

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
is this the next thing now after bike paths and airports? is there any problem bucky cant solve?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I thought it was a parody taking the piss out of Bucky

It still is but lol

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Building apartment buildings in a circle is stupid. Whatever the best orientation is for a building in that location only one of them will have it, and they'll all look at each other.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
obviously the answer is 2000ad megacities

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Other factors though is that the quality of housing is much better than it used to be.

Have you watched the horror stories on Site Inspections? Just one nightmare after another of the quality of housing .

Some of the houses are multiple millions and just as bad if not worse than the sub 1 million ones out in the edges of the city.

I usually can't finish the video's because it's so depressing and/or horrifying.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

Building apartment buildings in a circle is stupid. Whatever the best orientation is for a building in that location only one of them will have it, and they'll all look at each other.

At that scale I think they're about 200 meters apart across the middle. Make it more if you want. They won't all have ideal orientations no, but we're comparing it to current housing developments, not some utopian ideal.

Spookydonut posted:

is this the next thing now after bike paths?

not really, but speaking of, spent a bit of time studying how large crowds move in and out of Olympic Park over the weekend.

There is a magnificent approach to the north.

Which get literally locked off at 5 pm, for reasons which are unclear

People are forced to take a bus, train, or drive.

So, open that up, put a wharf at the end, and boom, we can ease the strain and make everyone's night better.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Well we all know what the housing crisis needs. Hand-drawn schematics!

So we need more houses, and the problem with the new development regions is that they're hideous sprawling soulless suburban hellscapes, with barely any services or connectivity or life. Go have a look around them and your heart will sink. It’s just a loving disgrace that at this stage of our evolution, this is the best we can do.

Just wow. Get hosed trees I guess?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

It's a panopticon but you stick all the poors in it so they can look at each other

“people want to live in the panopticon” - bucky, high on meth

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

At that scale I think they're about 200 meters apart across the middle. Make it more if you want. They won't all have ideal orientations no, but we're comparing it to current housing developments, not some utopian ideal.

Why not just build them all next to each other, all looking out over a 200m wide linear park with a safe cycleway running through it?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

birdstrike posted:

“people want to live in a home that's accessible and affordable and probably won't mind too much if there's 200 meters of open space between them and the opposite side of the circle ”

edit - oh and half the appartments are on the outside anyway, gazing over the plains

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 1, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

Why not just build them all next to each other, all looking out over a 200m wide linear park with a safe cycleway running through it?

Because then they don't all have equitable distance to services obviously

Also harder to defend in the event of a siege

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
what about....a housing sphere.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
with a commercial torus inside it. and the amenities tetrahedron at the centre.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
instead of bike paths and roads, we breed Guild Navigators. but with meth instead of spice.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
that's just a truck driver

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
meth melange must flow

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If there’s one thing I’ve been saying about residential construction in australia it’s that it’s too high quality. Anyway back to my ground floor apartment (it was on the 16th storey when I bought it) clad in styrofoam.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

as predictable as it is hilarious

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

They actually did this in Spain and other cities well over a century ago, continue to do it and it works well. Squares, not circles. It helps keep the cities grid shaped. The shared green spaces are good for families, the apartments are sizeable... for families. The way the apartments are set up are good... for families. There's less need for driving, smaller businesses can compete with large ones easier because they have direct access to the neighbourhood.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Konomex posted:

They actually did this in Spain and other cities well over a century ago, continue to do it and it works well. Squares, not circles. It helps keep the cities grid shaped. The shared green spaces are good for families, the apartments are sizeable... for families. The way the apartments are set up are good... for families. There's less need for driving, smaller businesses can compete with large ones easier because they have direct access to the neighbourhood.

I don't mind some of the high density development that has been done in Mascot / Alexandria - tall apartment buildings surrounding green space with good access to shopping and transit. Currently there are not enough rapid transit stops but there's more metro stations opening in the next year or so.

They're all Meriton developments so the build quality leaves a lot to be desired but the layout is relatively good. You still get lots of traffic because it's a commercial and freight area so hopefully changes to main roads that are coming will alleviate that.

I haven't lived there but I have stayed in the serviced apartments in the area for work (lots of data centres nearby) and found it very convenient.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

All that an appreciating housing market does is make it easier to downsize

Good news for boomers!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

go_banana posted:

Generally I agree with you however it exists when I am forced to sell my house as I can no longer afford a mortgage due to an unforeseen event and the sale price does not meet the amount outstanding on my mortgage.

There are going to be all kinds of edge cases I agree, but like, I'd want a housing package that supports Australians into housing, which also includes ensuring all Australians stay housed as well. A comprehensive reform package.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

Have you watched the horror stories on Site Inspections? Just one nightmare after another of the quality of housing .

Some of the houses are multiple millions and just as bad if not worse than the sub 1 million ones out in the edges of the city.

I usually can't finish the video's because it's so depressing and/or horrifying.

Yeah, I've lived in a series of rentals built after 2010 and all have been worse build quality than the house I bought built in 1995.

The reason why they are dogshit is because they were built as cheaply as possible to flip/rent after a block split. The same reason a heap of apartments go up that are also dogshit and unlivable because they only exist to rent out, not for people to actually want to live in, so it's all done as cheap as possible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It turns out that privatising regulation so the developer gets to pick who assesses the permit application, carries out the inspections (lol), and issues the occupancy permit doesn’t lead to high quality and compliant buildings.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

not really, but speaking of, spent a bit of time studying how large crowds move in and out of Olympic Park over the weekend.

There is a magnificent approach to the north.

Which get literally locked off at 5 pm, for reasons which are unclear

People are forced to take a bus, train, or drive.

So, open that up, put a wharf at the end, and boom, we can ease the strain and make everyone's night better.

That is a literal heritage listed wharf that will stop any development, the area has protected heritage buildings, it is filled with OH&S hazards that you do not want Joe Public near at night and there's an existing wharf WITH a bike path closer it *at Rhodes*

Also at low tide you can walk on the riverbed of the Newington side as the river has become re-wilded - the existing boat ramp and wharf becomes unusable. Oh and, Olympic Park esp on event evenings actually has it's own train line, it's own dedicated bus services and in a few years time is getting Light Rail in Stage 2 of the Parra Light Rail, which is already under development. Right and also it's getting a Metro West stop in a couple of years time too that under build.

Why exactly would I ride a bike to see a concert there?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

It turns out that privatising regulation so the developer gets to pick who assesses the permit application, carries out the inspections (lol), and issues the occupancy permit doesn’t lead to high quality and compliant buildings.

oh yeah, who else is going to do it, you?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Brutalism owns, it's the only good thing about canberra

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

birdstrike posted:

“people want to live in the panopticon” - bucky, high on meth

If your neighbours are dodgy meth pricks I think I'd rather be able to see them at all times tbh

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How is anyone in Dunkley voting for Nathan Conroy? He looks like he just retrieved his head from the dunny after his last private school head flushing. And obv. he is from the loving LNP. People suck.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That is a literal heritage listed wharf that will stop any development, the area has protected heritage buildings, it is filled with OH&S hazards that you do not want Joe Public near at night and there's an existing wharf WITH a bike path closer it *at Rhodes*

Also at low tide you can walk on the riverbed of the Newington side as the river has become re-wilded - the existing boat ramp and wharf becomes unusable. Oh and, Olympic Park esp on event evenings actually has it's own train line, it's own dedicated bus services and in a few years time is getting Light Rail in Stage 2 of the Parra Light Rail, which is already under development. Right and also it's getting a Metro West stop in a couple of years time too that under build.

Why exactly would I ride a bike to see a concert there?

Because it’s way nicer, healthier, cheaper, quieter, better for the environment, better for the rest of the public, and depending on the destination, often quicker. The river is beautiful. Instead of standing in a boring stinky queue for 45 minutes to get a crowded bus or a train underground for another half hour at least and then having to drive home from the station, you can be out under the stars enjoying an evening cruise, while making the queue shorter for everyone else. Why on earth would you not include that option in the transport mix for a major events precinct.

It’s such a depressingly white-colonialist mindset. Why would I use my legs, and the water that we have been naturally provided with, when I can just bulldoze the land and lay some tracks for a giant metal cage instead?

There is an existing wharf at Wentworth Point, not Rhodes. It’s called Olympic Park, but it’s further from the stadium than the Newington Wharf is. (3.5 km vs 2.7 Km). It’s a concrete slab, and the route is nowhere near as nice.

It’s not too shallow for ferries to pass at low tide, but yes, I am proposing a new wharf. A great way to preserve heritage is to keep using it as originally intended. It will cost a fraction of a single meter of tunnel and light rail track, inconvenience exactly zero people during its construction, and serve the vast majority of people who don’t live within walking distance of the stage 2 route.

The metro, however, cool beans. Again, eye-wateringly expensive when compared with floating a boat downstream, as people have done since the dream time, but yes, very much looking forward to it. In the several years we have to wait in the meantime, just leave the gate open, and build a wharf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Labor wins by-election on first preferences.

Media - This is a surprise and disappointment to Labor (that they won). Labor sources were sure they were doomed and were disappointed to have a positive result. The Labor win can only be a positive for Peter Dutton and continue to give him momentum.

Government are not supposed to win by-elections, little lone raise their vote. At least, so the media would have you believe.