Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Idk if its been discussed but is there any specific setting that hurts performance a lot? I have a 3080 and its tough to get the game to run above 60fps no matter what i change

i got a 3060 and i havent had to touch the settings at all. i mean im probably not getting 60 but who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i love the slugger but ye unless you're reserving every shot exclusively for brood commanders and guards it has awful ammo economy. the resupply is especially baffling

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is so detailed-- big fan of these kind of videos.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

johnny park posted:

I'm not sure but try turning the resolution down. If your FPS still doesn't go up then your bottleneck is almost definitely your CPU

Neither cpu nor GPU maxed out so idk what’s up, I’ll definitely try that optimization guide and hope it improves

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Neither cpu nor GPU maxed out so idk what’s up, I’ll definitely try that optimization guide and hope it improves

could be being bottlenecked by your RAM or something

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Surprisingly low VRAM requirements, it seems!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

veni veni veni posted:

The game could really use one of those features that pops the player out of terrain when they get stuck, and apply it to items as well.

Yesterday my camera would fly up into the air as if I was a spectator, but I was still alive just standing there on the surface according to my team members. When I tried to move the camera would just shimmy around randomly way up in the air. They had to kill me to reset it.

Happened twice. Always interesting, the bugs in this game

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Idk if its been discussed but is there any specific setting that hurts performance a lot? I have a 3080 and its tough to get the game to run above 60fps no matter what i change

That's bizarre, my 3070 has been rock solid at a vsynced 60 since the game launched, with temps and usage of the gpu both quite low. Pretty well optimized game afaict, but with pc you never quite know how things will react, even with the specs exactly the same

E: however this is also at 1080p. Are you on 4k or something?

Play fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 2, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I run a 3080Ti on ultrawide (3440x1440) and it is remarkably smooth. Plays and looks far better than cod:mw3.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Weird, the major order is to liberate Heeth and Angel’s Venture… Angel’s Venture shows only 80% liberated but the sector is locked off and you can’t do missions on the planet. Am I missing something?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

For some reason I get somewhat different results from some settings than in this video. Like, my particles look like his "lowest" setting unless I have them on high, regardless of which other setting I use. But I'm not really complaining because I have a 1070 and I'm amazed this game runs at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

mentalcontempt posted:

Weird, the major order is to liberate Heeth and Angel’s Venture… Angel’s Venture shows only 80% liberated but the sector is locked off and you can’t do missions on the planet. Am I missing something?

No that's weird.. maybe relog?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Angel's Venture had something insane like 390,000 helldivers on it last i checked

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
It liberated super fast and now it seems bugged. We'll probably get a fix when the devs wake up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God bless the heroes taking back Malevelon Creek

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is it normal to not be able to see a thing when it's night and street lights are involved? I end up shooting them out half the time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Was there always a little icon telling you whether it's day or night when selecting a mission? Was I actually blind until now?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

does the guard dog replace your special weapon, or can i walk around with a guard dog AND a laser cannon?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is it normal to not be able to see a thing when it's night and street lights are involved? I end up shooting them out half the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

hbag posted:

does the guard dog replace your special weapon, or can i walk around with a guard dog AND a laser cannon?

You can!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hbag posted:

It's a backpack, you can have both.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

nice

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Sindai posted:

Was there always a little icon telling you whether it's day or night when selecting a mission? Was I actually blind until now?

yes, hard to notice though

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Yeah some of the lights are supernova blinding bright

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I have a theory that this is because, when the pupil is larger in darker areas the flattening aspect of the eyeball with astigmatism is more pronounced since the pupil encompasses more of the total orb of your eye. No idea if it's true but it always made sense to me.

Not that this has a drat thing to do with helldivers, I guess

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

sorry but i'm at the limit of things starting with A and ending in -ism so has to be something else

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I just look at which side of the planet has the star shining on it, that's the daylight side

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It actually shows the SET (Super Earth Time?) Of the planet where your mouse cursor is when selecting a mission.

All planets conveniently have 24 SET hour day/night cycles.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Bandire posted:

I think this stuff is only counterintuitive because games have trained us this just how things work. Arrowhead has tried to infuse some realism into how their systems work, like the whole partial mag reload thing.

In general (not any kind of expert here), if you shoot a soft target with a hardened armor piecing round, it will just go right through, make a relatively small hole, and often not cause life threatening damage unless it hits something vital. Hollow point (expanding) rounds and explosive munitions make bigger holes and do a lot more soft tissue damage on unarmored targets. Just think of it as explosive attribute guns do 10 times the bonus damage that regular armor piercing rounds do to squishy bits rather than the kinda confusing way they worded that initial statement.

It's bad and leads to poo poo like needing every player to carry their own AT solution so you can break a chargers leg asap.

Especially since there are like 2 primary guns with explosive and they give up a ton of damage per mag and dps for the ablility to waste multiple mags by shooting the weakpoint.

They might be 10 times better at it than other guns, but 10x0 is still zero.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

what kinds of weapons are good against robots? im thinking i should probably get a guard dog at least before i fight those guys, and something that penetrates a little more armor than my SMG-37 defender

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

hbag posted:

what kinds of weapons are good against robots? im thinking i should probably get a guard dog at least before i fight those guys, and something that penetrates a little more armor than my SMG-37 defender

Diligence and the slugger are good primary, backpack should be shield, if your squad weapon doesn't use the backpack, and then Railgun/gl/autocannon.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

hbag posted:

Bots all have heads you can hit and kill them easily with the Defender or Liberator or Breaker.

IMO the Slugger is very good and fun against bots, it is basically an AMR with no scope.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

jokes posted:

That's a dumb metric, because regular-rear end enemies are not real threats, they're just fun things to kill. In which case, if that drone is stealing your kills, they're stealing your fun. Swap that dog out with some extra eagle air strikes or a jump pack

Hunters are absolutely a threat. So are those little shits that spit slowing gunk at you. Maybe neither of them are getting the killing blow, but they put you in a position for something else to take advantage. That's probably the most frequent cause of death vs bugs for me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This game seems to randomly change my difficulty levels all the time. I wish it would just stick with what I played last. It doesn't do it all the time, but I caught myself in a level 4 when I had been queuing for 7 all night.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
The fire and forget rover with its infinite ammo also lets me just completely ignore the chaff so I can focus on getting my rear end handed to me by chargers and bile titans.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This game makes me want to use one of those macro keyboards for the strategems lol

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

This game makes me want to use one of those macro keyboards for the strategems lol
I have seriously been thinking about how my keybinds are because stopping to try and deploy something above level 6 is hard as hell.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

priznat posted:

that's no fun

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

hbag posted:

You don't need the guard dog against robots, the stuff you start with is fine. I still take the defender against robots

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hbag posted:

that's no fun

Ya it definitely adds to the skill when you gotta tap one out while getting smashed. I don’t have a macro keyboard but I would try it out if I did tho, just in case :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
reports from the person in my friend group who has a macro pad is it is non-trivial to set up right, each time we do an op they've fiddled with settings to get it working and haven't managed to dial it in yet