Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I like Zendaya and Dave Bautista a lot in this movie.

Sound editors should pay attention to Dunc 2. It is okay for you to barely understand the dialogue if the characters are on a helicopter assault misson. Otherwise we should be able to hear the characters interact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I loved how you basically have a coin flip chance of surviving each day as a Harkkonen. Those attendants piled up in the corner :(

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

I loved how you basically have a coin flip chance of surviving each day as a Harkkonen.

I think a main theme Herbert got right is that Leto Atreides retained more talent through being an empathetic, inspirational leader. Also why he received a target on his back from competitors that can't mentally conceive of that style.

It feels weird knowing a guy wrote this in 1965 and with the right pair of eyes, you can watch it play out in any kind of corporate environment.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Scags McDouglas posted:

It feels weird knowing a guy wrote this in 1965 and with the right pair of eyes, you can watch it play out in any kind of corporate environment.

why? you don't think they had corporations and hierarchies in the 60s? Dune is not a particularly early example of writing about this stuff

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

why? you don't think they had corporations and hierarchies in the 60s? Dune is not a particularly early example of writing about this stuff

Sorry, I meant that a book written with archetypes and parables in the 60s still has validity today. I'd say I hoped we'd solve some of those problems but they're evidently, depressingly pervasive today.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Scags McDouglas posted:

Sorry, I meant that a book written with archetypes and parables in the 60s still has validity today. I'd say I hoped we'd solve some of those problems but they're evidently, depressingly pervasive today.

oh, gotcha. well as to that, i guess i wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carpet posted:

Went to the double bill last night at the BFI IMAX - Part 1 was only in IMAX later but the expanded ratio scenes still looked massive compared to a LieMAX, just a bit at the top and bottom was missing. Then it was back in for Part 2 on 15/70 at midnight - but also immediately after the IMAX intro started, the projector stopped! We were wondering if we were going to get the digital version instead, but the projectionist was able to get it running again after 10 minutes.

But then on to the film - some thoughts:

The look of Salusa Secundus was so cool - the way that black sun drowned all colour, and the fireworks that looked like exploding jellyfish or was reminiscent of Under the Skin.

The draining of bodies - both the dead Harkonnens and Jamis was suitably disturbing, made me a bit queasy.

The pacing felt a bit off - it felt like it took ages to see the Baron and Feyd-Rautha, and I never quite felt I knew how far along we were in the narrative - this may change on a second viewing as I felt the same about Part 1, where I spent the last half hour wondering if it was about to end

And when that ending does come out feels rather abrupt - perhaps another scene showing Paul fully embracing his messianic potential, or marrying Irulan was needed before the final shot of Chani.

I wanna touch on a couple of things based on what you posted.

The planet with the back sun is Geidi Prime. We don't see Kaitain, where the Emperor lives, or Selusa Secundus, which is where the Sardukar come from.

The draining of bodies means that the Fremen of Sietch Tabr are water thieves by the logic of the 3rd book - because Fremen leave the bodies of their enemies to the sands or worms, after children have helped dispatch the ones not quite dead.

Neo Rasa posted:

\IIRC in the books the prophecy is real, the made up part is the details of the local religions the bene gesserits manipulate to line up with how they want the prophecy to go and to make it easy for any bene gesserit to infiltrate or get one well with a local population if they get stuck somewhere
Yeah, Bene Gesserit manipulate religions for their own ends, but they also brought about the Kwizats Hadarach - although he came a generation too early, because of Jessica's love for Leto.

Dmitri-9 posted:

I like Zendaya and Dave Bautista a lot in this movie.
I felt like it was stunt-casting; Dave Bautista didn't need to be in the movie, any jobber of a wrestler could've done it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I felt like it was stunt-casting; Dave Bautista didn't need to be in the movie, any jobber of a wrestler could've done it.

Villeneuve likes him. Not all wrestlers have star power and they are also very cartoony. Bautista brings the menace that feels genuine. One analogy I can think of is Sabertooth from the X-Men, Liev Schreiber is a lot better than some rando wrestler from the first movie. You are right that a lot of other brute actors could replace him.

notenome
Jul 26, 2023

Dave Bautista loves Villeneuve because, according to him, he's the first director who treats him as an actor and gives him advice/compliments based on his acting choices, like saying a line through gritted teeth. He's ride or die for Dennis (and if you remember when Gunn got fired Bautista already showed himself to be a ride or die kinda guy) and will always saddle up for him.

As for prophecy and all, Herbert isn't a black or white kinda guy. The nature of prophecy is malleable in Dune because it's not outside human agency, which is what makes the characters monstrous in that they perceive themselves to be historical agents (this is the very explicit theme of the fourth book). According to Herbert Paul's arc in the three books is parabolic, he rejects, accepts and then rejects prophecy again.

As for the abruptness of the third act that a lot of people seem to dislike, Herbert is clearly echoing Dien Bien Phu, when the vietnamese did the impossibe and defeated a imperial power in detail in the field (obviously there's a lot more to it than just an allegory). It is interesting that science fiction media in the 60s and 70s (star wars) could see inspiration in the vietnamese, I don't think the same will happen with fiction in our present day and age with the Houthis or Taliban etc

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

notenome posted:

As for the abruptness of the third act that a lot of people seem to dislike, Herbert is clearly echoing Dien Bien Phu, when the vietnamese did the impossibe and defeated a imperial power in detail in the field (obviously there's a lot more to it than just an allegory). It is interesting that science fiction media in the 60s and 70s (star wars) could see inspiration in the vietnamese, I don't think the same will happen with fiction in our present day and age with the Houthis or Taliban etc

Both of these franchises ended up with movies that feel resonant with their current context of American imperialism despite being inspired by older events - and you can add Starship Troopers, Iron Man and probably others to the list. The takeaway is probably that America doesn't change all that much.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Thinking again about that jump cut from Paul saying he is no Messiah, to Stilgar exclaiming to his buddies that that is exactly what the Messiah would say, further proving his divinity

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Carpet posted:

Thinking again about that jump cut from Paul saying he is no Messiah, to Stilgar exclaiming to his buddies that that is exactly what the Messiah would say, further proving his divinity

theater i was in laughed, what a great cut/line reading

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Establishing and maintaining empire has its own terrible, brutal logic. Including how those running the empire eventually lose sight even of that logic and invite their downfall against what should be an insignificant enemy.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
Experienced it in 15/70 at King of Prussia last night and thought the volume was perfect. Loud, but not too loud. Didn’t need to use my earplugs. Saw some dude on Reddit complain that it was too quiet. I assume the guy wanted the literal hearing damage levels that usually plague IMAX showings. I know I’m old, but I just don’t understand why people want to be deafened

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I think the loudest part was either the worm riding through the dust storm, or the crowd at the Geidi Prime arena.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

u_s_eh posted:

Experienced it in 15/70 at King of Prussia last night and thought the volume was perfect. Loud, but not too loud. Didn’t need to use my earplugs. Saw some dude on Reddit complain that it was too quiet. I assume the guy wanted the literal hearing damage levels that usually plague IMAX showings. I know I’m old, but I just don’t understand why people want to be deafened

I had the same experience. I was bracing for it to be absurdly loud like a lot of other blockbusters and was really pleasantly surprised; I could understand all the dialogue clearly and the loud parts were impressive without being deafening.

A few random thoughts after seeing it earlier today:

It's incredibly refreshing to watch a blockbuster that has thoughtfully constructed set pieces and actual good CGI. There was hardly a shot in the movie that looked dodgy, which is nothing short of a miracle when you think about the difficulty of putting a lot of sequences onto the screen. The explosions in particular were numerous and excellent looking.

On a related note, one of the standout sequences for me was the first spice harvester attack. It was so taut and tense, with a lot of action going on around the harvester that was all intelligible. Denis continues to demonstrate that he's one of the best directors out there today in terms of punchy action sequences.

I thought the depiction of Sietch Tabr was pretty good, but I wish Denis had added a scene or two depicting the industrial capabilities of the Fremen. I read the books decades ago, so I don't remember a lot of details, but I always liked their emphasis on discovering that these supposed simple desert folk actually had advance technological capabilities; depicting this would also have helped to explain how the Fremen are able to obtain all the technology they use for their insurgency.

Finally, I know it's a minor point but I feel like something was missed by not including even just a single line about how projectile weapons and shields work in the Dune universe. In the first film this wasn't as obvious, but in this one people are using projectile weapons all over the place and for non-book readers it must be confusing as to why people use them in some contexts and not in others. This would also I think have given an opportunity to explicate the stigma around atomic weapons and why Paul's consideration of using them is such a big deal. I respect Denis for not explaining too much and just going with the cinematic equivalent of "a wizard did it" to explain why everyone is running around with swords in a world with lasers and nukes, but I think it would have been a productive morsel of world building.

Actually, I can't remember any more, but did Paul use atomics to attack the Imperial and Harkonnen armies in the book? If so, I totally forgot about that and was surprised by it in the movie.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1763613815713775944?t=9xKZFbTV2R5KVqNlaYTJ3Q&s=19

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

MeinPanzer posted:

Actually, I can't remember any more, but did Paul use atomics to attack the Imperial and Harkonnen armies in the book? If so, I totally forgot about that and was surprised by it in the movie.

I think the depiction in the movie is more or less exactly the same as in the book. The atomics were used to destroy the shield wall to allow the Fremen to attack where everyone thought they were safe.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah, he uses them to blast a big hole in the shield wall, his reasoning being that because he's not technically using them against people it's fine

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

MeinPanzer posted:

No, he used atomics against the rocky plateau protecting the capitol and its valley, allowing a massive sandstorm to wipe out most of the forces; fremen fighters came riding in on sandworms to take care of the rest.

edit: beaten twice over.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it worth paying the imax premium for dunc part dos? Theater is also further away and more annoying to get to
Having watched it on a normal screen yesterday and on IMAX just now, I just want to say:
HOLY gently caress, the premium is not just worth it, it is loving essential. If it is in any way possible, do yourself a huge favor and watch it on IMAX.

After watching it yesterday, I thought the movie was very good. Just now, after seeing it on IMAX, my completely objective verdict is: loving AWESOME, movie of the year.

The sound design is impeccable. It is never too loud, but you can FEEL the worms, and the explosions, and the fireworks, and hear the footsteps when walking on different types of sand, and the swish of the thumpers being planted, and so on.

Really, if you need to travel a city or two over in order to watch it on IMAX, then DO IT.

If this movie doesn’t win the Oscars for best sound and best cinematography (or best visual design, whatever exact category that would fit in), then there is something wrong with this world.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

theater i was in laughed, what a great cut/line reading
Got a laugh in both viewings I was in as well.

It was great feeling the whiplash other people got with people cheering for Paul and the Fremen and unease with the fall towards fanaticism and fundamentalism and tragedy.

Especially the last few scenes.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 1, 2024

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I haven't read the books so I may be missing something but it did seem that the timeline was not quite right. Jessica is pregnant before the start of the movie and the credits roll before she even gives birth. The events as presented feel like they should have taken place over a good number of years but apparently it has only been a few months between Paul seeing sand for the first time and deciding to get his jihad on. Just struck me as a bit off. Aside from that I loved it even more than the first one.
Even knowing when someone was about to get "the voice" it still startled me. Great sound and editing there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ozmunkeh posted:

I haven't read the books so I may be missing something but it did seem that the timeline was not quite right. Jessica is pregnant before the start of the movie and the credits roll before she even gives birth. The events as presented feel like they should have taken place over a good number of years but apparently it has only been a few months between Paul seeing sand for the first time and deciding to get his jihad on. Just struck me as a bit off. Aside from that I loved it even more than the first one.
Even knowing when someone was about to get "the voice" it still startled me. Great sound and editing there.

in the book it does take years and she gives birth which has some uh interesting follow on effects. one of the really big changes.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

u_s_eh posted:

I saw it there too last night and going back again tomorrow night. Amazing showing

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sorry I’m a bit behind on posts here.

I know some of you have seen it. What is the consensus on the changes made? Understandable? Bad?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Pretty much in line with Part 1: Generally true to the tone and themes of the book (and Messiah), but the things they shaved off are bound to rankle some people. The biggest change I notice, like Part 1, is that the characters aren't all stoic and unrelatable weirdos. They seem human, which I would count as an improvement for this medium at least.

Personally I think both films are goddamn triumphs of adaptations for how faithful they manage to be to the source material.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ozmunkeh posted:

This makes sense in the context that the third act is already extremely packed and a certain character makes more sense to push to the third movie.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Yeah, ok, that does make sense. Still feels weird but only a minor nit to pick.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm going to see it tonight and I'm excited about the positive reviews!

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Despite my reservations over the changes I thought it was fantastic and a worthy adaptation. It's its own thing. I think giving Chani much more agency was brilliant and Zendaya kills it.

I didn't expect Giedi Prime scenes to be the most visually impressive, but on reflection they really stand out.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

it’s so good you have to see it twice (on) IMAX

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I can't be arsed to travel to LieMax in a different town, plus don't really have the time, but I wish I could. The screen I saw it on had a horrible multicoloured moire on it, like when you wipe a monitor with a wet cloth. So any scenes with white had this pattern that was hard not to focus on.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Such a great cast for this, particularly Ferguson, Bardem, and Zendaya.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I had a crazy nightmare about the Harkonnen arena referees. Those costumes haunt me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carpet posted:

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure this is entirely in line with the book's sense of humour. Like, Life of Brian follows exactly the same themes about how the whole Messiah narrative is silly, weird and scary.

BastardySkull posted:

Despite my reservations over the changes I thought it was fantastic and a worthy adaptation. It's its own thing. I think giving Chani much more agency was brilliant and Zendaya kills it.

I didn't expect Giedi Prime scenes to be the most visually impressive, but on reflection they really stand out.

Yeah, they know they had gold with her and it's exactly the right idea to roll with it. Zendaya really seems to be into it too, that whole classic sci-fi outfit at the premier, I can see why she wanted to stand out.

ephori posted:

I had a crazy nightmare about the Harkonnen arena referees. Those costumes haunt me.

I think the costume designers would consider that the highest form of praise.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

DTurtle posted:

Having watched it on a normal screen yesterday and on IMAX just now, I just want to say:
HOLY gently caress, the premium is not just worth it, it is loving essential. If it is in any way possible, do yourself a huge favor and watch it on IMAX.

After watching it yesterday, I thought the movie was very good. Just now, after seeing it on IMAX, my completely objective verdict is: loving AWESOME, movie of the year.

Movie was insanely lit.

The AMC in Skokie, IL that I like has both an IMAX and a Dolby theater and the Dolby is miles better, but I have no idea if that's always the case. Caught a Dolby matinee today and it was a full sensory overload at all times. Gotta go back later this week.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Geidi Prime part was great. I kinda forgot that Lady Fenring exists, so that was fun.

I liked this, but I definitely wasn't wowed in the same way I was after watching Part 1 for the first time. I can't really out my finger on why, especially since complaints about changes could also be leveled at Part 1.

OH, I can think of one thing that I wasn't a fan of. All the modern military poo poo like using MANPADS to take out ornithopters or the ornithopters having minigun-type armaments. As someone who grew up playing the Westwood games before reading or even watching the Lynch movie, you'd think that aspect wouldn't be problem, but for some reason I just didn't like it. One of the things I loved in Part 1 was how the majority of fighting was CQC, and only larger ordinance was used for blowing up the big ships and harvesters.

I dunno, it felt too much like they didn't trust that their audience would just accept that guns aren't things that are used anymore.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought it looked like they were some weird shrapnel launchers rather than "normal" guns idk

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
just watched it... i have decided to join the kataib al-shahid al-muad'dib :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

I thought it looked like they were some weird shrapnel launchers rather than "normal" guns idk

Yeah, I got the impression they were more some kind of magnetic rifles or flechette guns. Kinda funny they basically did the opposite tack on the use of 'Old-fashioned artillery' than the books.

There IS kind of a theme that the specific circumstances of Arrakis means that the Harkonnen and Sardukar forces are engaging in what is to them unconventional warfare, and the Fremen are too in some ways, but are far more adapted to the circumstances. It's a theme that's aged all too well, too.