Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Automate *everything*. Even if you think its worthless, just have a single assembler dropping whatever it is into a chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Majere posted:

Yes, but use Rate Calculator instead. Max Rate Calc hasnt been updated in years

It hasn't needed to be updated, it still works perfectly in my experience, but next time I get the Factorio itch maybe I'll take a look at this new-fangled mod instead.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Automate *everything*. Even if you think its worthless, just have a single assembler dropping whatever it is into a chest.

But limit the chest unless you really do want 40 cars/tanks/etc. in a chest.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't limit the chest, limit the inserter. Chest limits are only for very early game before you unlock the circuit network. That way you can put things back as easily as you take them out, and later so can your bots.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Don't limit the chest, limit the inserter. Chest limits are only for very early game before you unlock the circuit network. That way you can put things back as easily as you take them out, and later so can your bots.

Eh.. kinda what I meant, but yeah. Of course if you don't have red/green wires yet, limiting the chest slots is the only way you have.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nein! All machine must be used to their efficiency! How else do you expect to get to 80K SPM without renting a nasa server?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

M_Gargantua posted:

eh, one of the things that puts Factorio head and shoulders above other automation games for me is that you don't have to automate everything

the base game almost never actually forces you to automate. the ever-increasing demands of your factory encourage you to naturally want to automate your production more and more over time, but you don't really hit a wall that says "sorry, you have to fully automate this whole production process if you want to proceed any farther". it's nice because you can automate at your own pace based on what feels right to you

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Vizuyos posted:

eh, one of the things that puts Factorio head and shoulders above other automation games for me is that you don't have to automate everything

the base game almost never actually forces you to automate. the ever-increasing demands of your factory encourage you to naturally want to automate your production more and more over time, but you don't really hit a wall that says "sorry, you have to fully automate this whole production process if you want to proceed any farther". it's nice because you can automate at your own pace based on what feels right to you

I mean, this is very much not true? Oil is an early game roadblock for so many players because you have to automate it, you can't do anything with oil without machines.

E: You can hand craft assemblers or whatever until you get there, but that's true of most of the games with hand crafting in the genre, too.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Majere posted:

Nein! All machine must be used to their efficiency! How else do you expect to get to 80K SPM without renting a nasa server?

Not directly related, but the factorio cluster games I've seen on reddit are super interesting, using distributed game saves sending items between servers with linked 'warp chests' is a really neat way to push factory size without UPS limits. The warp chests seem to negate some of the logistics of moving all those resources, something like a train teleport gate would be cool to see.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Not directly related, but the factorio cluster games I've seen on reddit are super interesting, using distributed game saves sending items between servers with linked 'warp chests' is a really neat way to push factory size without UPS limits. The warp chests seem to negate some of the logistics of moving all those resources, something like a train teleport gate would be cool to see.

Interesting. Is there a currency, an economy linked to this? Being able to import/export items seems like it could be cool

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
My limited understanding is its a big centrally managed effort and the warp chests use some kind of addressing where you export items from one server to another to fulfill an overall production plan. Ie one server will be doing iron ore collection and smelting, then exporting that to another server where those are turned into intermediates, so on and so forth. Less adhoc economy based and more trying to spread one factory across multiple servers for efficiency.

The latest post about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/1ayskry/update_5_join_the_largest_factorio_clusterio/

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 29, 2024

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Unreal_One posted:

I mean, this is very much not true? Oil is an early game roadblock for so many players because you have to automate it, you can't do anything with oil without machines.

E: You can hand craft assemblers or whatever until you get there, but that's true of most of the games with hand crafting in the genre, too.

When I talk about automating at your own pace, I don't just mean handcrafting vs using machines. Besides, oil refining is very simple - arguably simpler than smelting ore into plates, which is another thing that can only be done using machines.

There's a lot of steps of partial automation along the road to full automation. You can slap down an assembler, supply it from chests, and just come back to top off the chests every so often. You can even move on from there to automating the production of some products in a recipe, while personally handcrafting others that are more complex to build in assemblers.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

One of the things I like more about Factorio (there are many) is that resources and sources deplete. It is nearly always a dynamic system and can't be put into a magic glass case where you can ignore it forever like Satisfactory.

Sometimes I hate this too, but most often it's a net positive for interesting gameplay.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Tangential to this a friend of mine did a cross-game thing where he was playing Factorio and a couple others in totally different games (like og Zelda). Access to some tech in Factorio required something to be found/done in another game, and the Factorio game could unlock/provide to the other games.

Really neat idea that I hadn’t seen before.

edit: got a link, it’s this https://archipelago.gg/

necrotic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 29, 2024

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I too wish to turn an entire map into a steel smelter.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
New Dosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlPREQ55kzc

oh god

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Just the title is enough to know this is going to be a fun one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Sulfuric Pistol Acid"

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmao

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
riding the belt to shoot the trees out of the way killed me

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the roboport logistics range nearly destroyed me irl. i can't imagine how he felt

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Apparently a new FFF, 400, is published: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-400

It is about search, pins and alerts.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Rip to yet another mod.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently a new FFF, 400, is published: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-400

It is about search, pins and alerts.

Very nice quality of life improvements. I like it

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
400 is a big round number so I was hoping for a big fun update but the search stuff is cool at least.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can almost picture how that would work

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

TELLER
We came into this room knowing a
locomotive bomb was possible. Let’s
leave it with something new.

OPPENHEIMER
Such as?

TELLER
An atomic bomb. Instead of
locomotives, we use fission.

OPPENHEIMER
Hang on. How do you generate enough
force to split atoms?

TELLER
18 locomotive bombs

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

It's like inventing the universe to make a pie. The coal is used to smelt the rocks for the trace minerals that are needed to build the reactor, the locomotives are needed to move everything around. The assembler just handles all the fiddly intermediary stuff.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Majere posted:

Yes, but use Rate Calculator instead. Max Rate Calc hasnt been updated in years

This. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RateCalculator

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"Must be German nuclear power."

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Bummer they didn't reveal something cool for FFF 400 but that's fine. This search stuff looks neat and will save me from labeling so much poo poo on the map to help keep myself organized.

The example video they have at the top of the FFF has a dedicated steam trains top. Has me wondering where all that steam is going?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I kind of appreciate in a weird way they didn’t have a huge thing for post 400. That’s not a special number it’s just “round”. Post 1000? That feels a bit different to me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Doing nothing for a milestone post is an extremely wube move lol

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The next round number is 512 anyway.

I think this FFF put me over the edge on waiting to play again. There's just too much QoL improvement on the way to make playing the current game feel worthwhile (keeping in mind I've got like 14,000 hours played already). At least, for vanilla and vanilla-adjacent games; maybe it's finally time to dig into the bigger total conversion mods.

Factorio but everything is made from guns is such a Dosh thing to post. The randomized bot and belt speed are available in the other randomizer which keeps the items used in recipes the same, but changes quantities (and other things when you change the options). The only complaint I have about it is since the base game recipes often just require one of an item, most recipes end up more expensive.

I could swear he's done an MSP run before but it doesn't seem to be in his videos, maybe I'm just misremembering someone else's run. It would certainly be up his alley.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Xerol posted:

I could swear he's done an MSP run before but it doesn't seem to be in his videos, maybe I'm just misremembering someone else's run. It would certainly be up his alley.

DocJade recently did a run with Science Pack Galore

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
just found this animated fanart and i ain't checking the last six months to see if it's been posted before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvAeZDiLG8

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

World Famous W posted:

just found this animated fanart and i ain't checking the last six months to see if it's been posted before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvAeZDiLG8

Thanks for sharing, fun animation even though the music is the worst poo poo I've heard in months

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I will not have you profane the divine name of Neil Cicierega. Your punishment shall be listening to all the Mouth albums until you truly understand Wonderwall

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYNu6yG-qA
Another neat Youtuber I haven't seen posted here, trying to create an Omnismelter(tm) which can make everything, including steel and stone bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I will not have you profane the divine name of Neil Cicierega. Your punishment shall be listening to all the Mouth albums until you truly understand Wonderwall

Though I haven't listened to anything recent (if he's still going), I found Neil C a little to immature in style. Would have loved him as a teen though. Probably didn't help that when Neil C was gaining momentum DJ Morgoth was in full swing curating and doing mashup sets. I miss DJ Morgoth :smith:

Edit: That video has to have the worst Neil C song there is. Wow. I don't remember anything of his being that immediately offensive to my ears.

The General fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 5, 2024