Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

This show just gets better and better week after week. Really enjoying the ride.

Absolutely love all the very well thought out details about the various monsters, dungeon ecology, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Honestly id imagine the plant tentacles to taste like celery which i despise.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Hihohe posted:

Honestly id imagine the plant tentacles to taste like celery which i despise.

A delirious Marcille likened it to Taro, but personally I was thinking maybe Plantain?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
another interesting sakugabooru write-up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat that was a straight up headshot.

Dub was really good this week. Marin Miller and Corey Burton were clearly having fun. I didn't realize Burton did anime.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Interesting article!

W-wait. Hold up.

quote:

Enishiya is an interesting company that offers services on multiple levels; IP management, as seen in the upcoming Spice and Wolf reboot, and also acting as their own anime studio. ....

H...H... HuhHH!?? :tviv: :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Unfortunate that it's a reboot and not just adapting later novels than the old show tbh.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

NuclearWinterUK posted:

Namari's JP voice is so cool. Namari is so cool.

I haven’t checked out the JP version, but the US Namari voice is very good too.

I’ve said it before but this series has some of the best voicework I’ve ever heard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Netflix-ordered dubs have had some pretty good casting pulls from people who don't usually do anime work. Giancarlo Esposito in Edgerunners, Keith David in Pluto, Corey Burton in this episode of Dungeon Meshi. And they bring their own vibes and takes on the characters in ways I like.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Senshi with the Peeled Tentacle was straight up a Ren and Stimpy close up

Also, swollen face Laios was hilarious.

EDIT: I also have to praise the voice direction for the US dub as well. I feel like the small vocal touches to Swollen Face Laios and Mandragoraed Marcille would have been skipped over in by any other lesser director.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 1, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Netflix-ordered dubs have had some pretty good casting pulls from people who don't usually do anime work. Giancarlo Esposito in Edgerunners, Keith David in Pluto, Corey Burton in this episode of Dungeon Meshi. And they bring their own vibes and takes on the characters in ways I like.

Keith David at least is a super prolific voice actor and has done a decent amount of anime work in the past, though there was a big gap between his last anime role and Pluto. So it's much less surprising to me that he took the role and was excellent in it than the others

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We are approaching our 7th consecutive decade of Keith David being the coolest

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

We are approaching our 7th consecutive decade of Keith David being the coolest

Toshiro Mifune didn't die until 1997, though.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

This would make a great icon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I case anyone wants that as an av:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do like Emily Rudd who plays Nami in the live action One Piece voices Marcille. She does a great job. And Sungwon Cho got the dream job with Senshi because there's no lip flaps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chrome line posted:

Keith David at least is a super prolific voice actor and has done a decent amount of anime work in the past, though there was a big gap between his last anime role and Pluto. So it's much less surprising to me that he took the role and was excellent in it than the others

Corey Burton has been in the voiceover business for decades but I think this might have been the first time I've heard him in an anime. When the gnome professor started talking I said "Count Dooku?" because I kept hearing hints of his Clone Wars voices. Games and cartoons can keep plenty of voice actors busy so it's fun when they pop up in other spots.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah it looks like this is his first anime; the closest we've gotten before this was some of his video game roles being dubs (mainly the Kingdom Hearts series, and even then it was mainly him voicing his usual Disney characters like Chip and Yen Sid as well as taking over Christopher Lee's role as Ansem the Wise)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/ProZD/status/1763662388702916723?s=20

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I do like Emily Rudd who plays Nami in the live action One Piece voices Marcille. She does a great job. And Sungwon Cho got the dream job with Senshi because there's no lip flaps.

Yeah Cho is the reason I watched the dubbed version but I’ve been pretty impressed by Rudd too.

Not being familiar with the source material- Marcille seems like a character that could easily have been screwed up (initially disgusted by the idea of monster food, often in the wrong) but she’s got enough nuance to be genuinely charming and relatable. It helps that there’s been emphasis on her connection with Falin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like to think that the Undine was just an rear end in a top hat and would have attacked everyone regardless of whether Marcille poured out hot water on it. She gets enough crap already from the rest of the party.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 1, 2024

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just loved the instant cut from “ahh, you’re just exaggerating” to “NOPE YOU WERE RIGHT THIS THING’S AN rear end in a top hat” :allears:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Cho is the reason I watched the dubbed version but I’ve been pretty impressed by Rudd too.

Not being familiar with the source material- Marcille seems like a character that could easily have been screwed up (initially disgusted by the idea of monster food, often in the wrong) but she’s got enough nuance to be genuinely charming and relatable. It helps that there’s been emphasis on her connection with Falin.

Yeah, as a manga reader I was initially apprehensive of what the story does with her for the reasons you say, but she manages to break out of that space very quickly and once I got past the first few chapters she was one of my favorites. And they nail her in the adaptation as well, where it would be very possible to not sell either the comedy or the emotional depth depending on how they framed it. They're doing a great job of adapting one of my favorite manga

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
marcille's also shown to be pretty fussy in general, which i feel is better than if she just threw a conniption over eating monster parts specifically

nine times out of ten she's too neurotic and over-specialized to significantly contribute to the party but you really want her around for that remaining 1/10

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
As in Arcanum, gnomes are the worst poo poo in the world.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

As in Arcanum, gnomes are the worst poo poo in the world.

Better benefits package than most of the competition, though.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I love the fact that once he takes the helmet off and you get a closer look at his face, you realize that Senshi is actually one handsome dwarf. :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He was already handsome :colbert:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Couple of the chapter openings weve seen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm continually astonished at just how good the show looks and how well the art style blends with Trigger's madcap id.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Regalingualius posted:

Better benefits package than most of the competition, though.

I mean, there's something to be said for "the Tansus pay really well."

I also really appreciated Namari's perspective here, because she isn't really wrong. If your friends are letting you give too much of yourself away and not giving anything in return, they aren't your friends.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I've just watched ep 5, I've been watching the subbed version and I have to say, I really don't like Falin's japanese VA and the whole vibe of her character. It's that over the top demure, soft-spoken to the point of almost parody anime trope. It makes my skin crawl for some reason. Is the dub better?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

"So, you're dating, or what?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Majkol posted:

I've just watched ep 5, I've been watching the subbed version and I have to say, I really don't like Falin's japanese VA and the whole vibe of her character. It's that over the top demure, soft-spoken to the point of almost parody anime trope. It makes my skin crawl for some reason. Is the dub better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFN7oEwaoQ

Love the way Rudd plays Marcille when she's brain fried by the mandrake. As for Falin, she's not really been around that much for me to gauge her but she seems fine in English.

Point being the dub is very good and I'd recommend giving it a try.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 3, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Majkol posted:

The dub does not save her, but you might find it a minor improvement. It just feels like they're both running off similar direction and I can't enjoy anime Falin either because of it. Though I have stuck with subs because I like the Senshi much better and Falin isn't around that much.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i dont really pick up demure soft spoken from her, shes more kinda just spacey, her japanese va comes across more as someone just floating along, going with the flow, at peace and unbothered. its not the same as the kind of vibe youre talking about where theyre deliberately trying to radiate that specific brand of femininity, shes just a quiet airhead

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Paper Lion posted:

i dont really pick up demure soft spoken from her, shes more kinda just spacey, her japanese va comes across more as someone just floating along, going with the flow, at peace and unbothered. its not the same as the kind of vibe youre talking about where theyre deliberately trying to radiate that specific brand of femininity, shes just a quiet airhead

Yeah its this lol.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

yeah she routinely left school grounds to sit in a cave to write letters to people, she's just in her own little world

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
she's as unhinged as Laios, just in less-obvious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Lol if you don’t have a letters writing cave