Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh cool yet another streaming service to possibly buy.

We showed Mini Pony an episode of Tumble Leaf yesterday and it was a big hit. I appreciate that it isn't crazy gogogogo zany action.

It's on Netflix if you have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Taking away TV privileges is such a self own.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Seriously. Why do I have to parent more? They're the ones that suck!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My kid keeps throwing tantrums and then demanding he stay in time out the entire time. I only do a 3 minute time out because he’s only 3. After three minutes I try to do other stuff like calm down, redirect, talk about our feelings. But he keeps demanding time out.

“I’m not stuck in here with you, you’re stuck in here with me!”

Edit: he came up to me before bedtime, an hour later after his tantrum (he wanted to go hang out with mommy but she was busy). He said “thank you for helping me calm down when I am angry.” Melted my heart. Of course buddy, that’s my job.

We calmed down by having our stuffed animals (Mickey Mouse, a dinosaur, and a duck) invent a new type of sandwich: tomato, waffle, broccoli, and tomato.

space uncle fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 1, 2024

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

lifg posted:

We watched some Number Blocks. My son looked at the number one and said, “Does she miss her mom?” Looked at the number 2 and said, “Is that her mom?”

My son likes to say "they're all a big family!" :shobon:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My 4yo built a playground scene with Duplos and said “I wish we had a shrink ray so we could play here” And so I explained to him that there was movie when I was little with a shrink ray, called Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

And then it hit me. There are like, no live action kids movies being made anymore. No way for them to see something half real, half fantastical aimed directly at their imaginations (and sense of humor). Unless maybe I’m way out of touch, it’s seems its Millennial movies that quasi-aim at kids (Barbie), or animated movies? A shame…Probably also just an overall effect of movies themselves dwindling :shrug: but at least I have all those to show him as he gets older. Now I gotta get the list going.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Every 2-3 years I'll remember Flight of the Navigator exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVebPEYiq2o

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Crazyweasel posted:

My 4yo built a playground scene with Duplos and said “I wish we had a shrink ray so we could play here” And so I explained to him that there was movie when I was little with a shrink ray, called Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

And then it hit me. There are like, no live action kids movies being made anymore. No way for them to see something half real, half fantastical aimed directly at their imaginations (and sense of humor). Unless maybe I’m way out of touch, it’s seems its Millennial movies that quasi-aim at kids (Barbie), or animated movies? A shame…Probably also just an overall effect of movies themselves dwindling :shrug: but at least I have all those to show him as he gets older. Now I gotta get the list going.

The Sonic movies are great with a mix of live action and animation. Robert Rodriguez had a couple on Netflix in the past few years: We Can Be Heroes and Spy Kids Armageddon. They're not good, but the kids love them. Lyle Lyle Crocodile on Netflix was cute. The new Wonka is supposed to be family friendly, but I haven't seen it yet.

But you are correct that the majority of movies targeted to kids nowadays are animated.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 1, 2024

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Paddington!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Yeah there's a whole canon of "VHS movies that we wore out" like Little Rascals, Matilda, 3 Ninjas, Richie Rich. Or the Live Action pet movies like Beethoven, Homeward Bound...

Here's a wikipedia list of a lot of those movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_children%27s_films#2020s

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

RCarr posted:

Paddington!

I love Paddington and Paddington 2 so much, they're amazing movies

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Weird side fact but one of the reasons Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear was able to afford all those supercars on a BBC car show hosts salary is that his mom invented, and later licensed Paddington

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Man, I know it's a little irrational but I'm kind of annoyed with our daycare right now. They have a toddler room for roughly 15 month olds to 2 year olds, and then a 2s & 3s room for (shockingly) 2 & 3 year olds. Our toddler turned 2 back in September, but the 2s & 3s room was at capacity so they've kept her and a few others in the toddler room. Understandable, and I like the toddler head teacher (who's leaving next Friday...) so it's fine enough. I was under the impression she'd be moving up as soon as there's a spot. Today they send out the monthly newsletter and one of the other kids is moving up to the 2s room.

As my husband put it, it's not like she's being passed over for a promotion, but I do think being with the slightly older kids and with the slightly different expectations of the older class would be good for her. It doesn't hurt that her tuition rate would go down either; not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things but it would be nice.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Hadlock posted:

Weird side fact but one of the reasons Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear was able to afford all those supercars on a BBC car show hosts salary is that his mom invented, and later licensed Paddington

According to wikipedia she and her husband were selling unlicensed paddington toys and were able to get the actual license eventually, but neither were the inventor of Paddington. They were just grifters

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh interesting. I was just going by what they said on their website. There's an oddly placed "production" in between "first" and "bears" which I guess the wiki article explains more clearly

https://www.paddington.com/us/heritage/the-bears/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Emily Spinach posted:

Man, I know it's a little irrational but I'm kind of annoyed with our daycare right now.
Is the moving-on-up kiddo older? They post birthdays on the wall at our daycare so you might be able to figure it out. That said, I don't know if it makes a difference. Kids at two are firmly at the parallel play age, so whether her peers are older or younger probably doesn't matter much.

The quotas thing is definitely a game. Our oldest was in the same preschool room for over 18 months. He potty trained relatively early (allegedly, perhaps compared to his peers) and so he moved to the preschool room with 3 & 4 year olds as soon as he turned three. But then due to quotas he didn't "age out" to the pre-K room until he was nearly five. So a lot of his peers moved up before he did, and he probably could've benefited from more pre-K exposure earlier. After a few months though it didn't really matter anymore.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Does anyone have a good book recommendation about moving houses for toddlers?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We moved ours at 2.5 and she wasn't phased by moving at all. Like going to a hotel. I'd almost argue you're going to cause more problems by calling attention to it "hey you weren't bothered by this, but just FYI you could be traumatized by it, if you want". For all they know, everyone moves houses at their age.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hadlock posted:

We moved ours at 2.5 and she wasn't phased by moving at all. Like going to a hotel. I'd almost argue you're going to cause more problems by calling attention to it "hey you weren't bothered by this, but just FYI you could be traumatized by it, if you want". For all they know, everyone moves houses at their age.

I kinda feel this way tbh, I've just been telling her about it and she seems to get it, but for some reason everyone around me seems way concerned about it

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We also moved when the boy was 2.5 and didn't really explain it until the day of. The first few nights he'd ask to "Go home now" but dropped it after that.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Kids are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for sometimes.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
^ Yep!

That sounds like my experience with our 2.25 year old going back to daycare after 6 months away. We got her books from the library at school, but it was still pretty rough on her the first few days, a lot of "I don't want to go to school!" But now she's totally fine and excited to go. I think any prep is good, but not necessarily something to worry about prior, but be ready to talk them through it afterwards when it's real to them.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
We moved to another state, lived with friends for a month, then moved into our house when my son was about 2. He wasn’t bothered by any of it or even seem to register that these big changes were happening.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is the moving-on-up kiddo older? They post birthdays on the wall at our daycare so you might be able to figure it out. That said, I don't know if it makes a difference. Kids at two are firmly at the parallel play age, so whether her peers are older or younger probably doesn't matter much.

The quotas thing is definitely a game. Our oldest was in the same preschool room for over 18 months. He potty trained relatively early (allegedly, perhaps compared to his peers) and so he moved to the preschool room with 3 & 4 year olds as soon as he turned three. But then due to quotas he didn't "age out" to the pre-K room until he was nearly five. So a lot of his peers moved up before he did, and he probably could've benefited from more pre-K exposure earlier. After a few months though it didn't really matter anymore.

Younger by a few weeks I'm pretty sure. I realize it probably doesn't really matter in the long run, it's just the lack of communication and a little triggering to my monkey brain's sense of fairness. Like someone who sat down at a restaurant right after you getting their food first or something. She's also going to be stuck in daycare/pre-K longer than some of her peers just because she was born after September 1, so she'll have to wait a year to start school.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
They should definitely be giving you a heads up about moving rooms, not just publishing it in the monthly newsletter or whatever.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd be annoyed too and would wanna talk to clarify whatever the hell the expected schedule is.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Been getting really into Thomas the tank engine, lately. Maybe even more than my son. Help.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone with YouTube TV been asked to verify their identity with google? It paused our subscription and wants a photo ID to confirm I’m of age…I redacted my face, license#, and some other info from what I uploaded and might just cancel if they say it’s insufficient. Google likely has all my info already, but uploading a raw photo of my drivers license seems unnecessary. Main stressor is losing recordings of key kid shows, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That seems like almost certainly a scam

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I agree, though it’d be a very complex one if they spoof-suspended my YouTube TV account through the Xbox and phone apps and I’ve verified the issue with straight google logins on my phone and computer.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
It's a real thing, apparently: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7644078

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

First night in a new apartment and we're running through bedtime routine for my toddler. Out of the blue, she turns to my wife and calmly says "blood is coming from the bathtub." I don't think she even knows what blood is, but I think my wife is going to be staring at the bathroom door until morning just in case

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Google asked to verify my identity when I bought a phone and a Chomecast from their store, it is a thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Canasta_Nasty posted:

First night in a new apartment and we're running through bedtime routine for my toddler. Out of the blue, she turns to my wife and calmly says "blood is coming from the bathtub." I don't think she even knows what blood is, but I think my wife is going to be staring at the bathroom door until morning just in case

Man, why do kids have to come out with the most absolutely chilling poo poo at the least opportune times? This is like when my daughter told me the ceiling spoke to her, telling her "mean things"...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The 2.5 year old has learned how to make herself burp and has spent the afternoon doing it and giggling

Parenting is worth it despite the *waves hands at everything in a sleep deprived manner* :unsmith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is able to almost continuously armpit-fart, and guess what? She does

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We were out running errands today, and our 5yo son (who loves to practice his newfound reading abilities) sees a store sign and yells "Bed Bath AND Beyond? Daaaaamn!" I have no idea where he learns this poo poo.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone else ever check their toddler's temperature only to find that she's fine and you yourself have a fever?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Solo zoo day with the three year old to give sick baby and mom some space. Perfect 55 degrees and sunny, not too busy, all the animals were out and doing fun things. We must’ve done 3 circles of the place, eating junk food and laughing at the sleepy tigers. Would recommend, though i didn’t see any other toddlers screaming ‘it’s SOOO CUTE’ for literally everything, so maybe we’re the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No the problem is people not screaming ITS SO CUTE because the toddler is correct that ITS SO CUTE