Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Reflected damage is always a mf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I know that technically it's only a metaphorical bird-flipping when the Tyrant Child reversed the forgiver sign at Gandiva, but I'm dying to figure out a way to draw them as literally flipping him off as a gag image.

E: Also, thank you mystery bug. As someone who considers herself about 90% cis/10% enby, I was a little worried that I might have been reading things completely wildly wrong in regards to Bleeder and trans dysphoria because I don't really experience that. Hell, it's kinda hard to get a read on the Tyrant Child, and I'm sure that's 100% intentional. Maybe kinda bishonen looks-wise due to the suit.

fake edit: There's this little skinny feral black cat at my work that I've taken to calling Moonlight: completely void-color except for their eyes, skittish as all hell, and gently caress if I know what genitals they've got, they run too fast for me to even attempt to look. (They seem to recognize my pink hoodie because while I still can't get in pet/sniff range, I can at least get *closer* and a couple of times they've yelled at me for food.) :kimchi: If I see them tonight I'll try to get a picture because cat.

Double edit: I got so enthralled in us slow blinking at each other that I forgot to take picture of Moonlight. :negative:

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 1, 2024

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - How is she supposed to explain that to them? That the first time she had been happy in years was when she helped her camper say 'no' to something insurmountable. What if she didn't have to always remember the Island?

She's enchanting something I own. - 6
She's creating something new to use. - 1
She's enhancing an ability I possess. - 15
She's teaching an entirely new power. - 3
She's gifting me raw strength. - 4

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I watch as Red pulls out the last of her flash paper and uranium crayon. Her first note is simple - 'INHALE THIS' - She hands me a beat-up chunky industrial inhaler from her robe-cloak. I do so immediately, and cough violently and laugh from how incredibly strong the pressure was. Nice flavor. Wait, what is it? Red writes more while I settle back - 'CONDENSED PURE OXYGEN AND FAST-ACTING HEAVY-STRENGTH LORAZEPAM'. Oh. Cool. Something snake-blue in the clouds of my crown wriggles about in response to that drug-word, but I'm already kind of funny-smiled and relaxed. Red nods and looks at me critically, while I blink and sniff, my lungs bubbling especially clean. Brain feels nice and clear. Wait, what's Red doing? She's taking that awful biomechanical tank I used on her to save her life before. Hey, she's slamming it into her neck and collapsing with agonized body language as it drains her of a LOT of her blood. Red? Hey, Red? Red? Are you okay? Red?

Sacrificial posted:

Red used the Life Tank!
RED'S HP: [ 1 / 50 ]
Filled the tank with 50 HP.

HP: [ -60 / 30 ] - 50 HP healed!!
HP: [ -10 / 30 ]

Red? What are you- oh. She's slamming the tank into my neck now. I go limp and my eyes dilate as I feel my biology suffer a massive healing shock, the prior bubbling of my blood having stabilized me enough to withstand this violent repair. I cough and try to sit up, my body fighting between extreme relaxation and sudden vitality. But it's not over yet. Red, what- you're doing it again? Red? Hey. Hey. Red. Hey Re-

Sacrificial posted:

Red used the Life Tank!
RED'S HP: [ -49 / 50 ]
Filled the tank with 40 HP.
RED'S HP: [ -89 / 50 ]

HP: [ -10 / 30 ] - 40 HP healed!!
HP: [ 30 / 30 ]

She did it again! That's my Counselor. My body feels really good. Red is dying. That's bad. Wait, no- she has a hand up. Finger raised. She has a plan? Should I scream?

Sacrificial posted:

Red used one of the ultimate spells of fire's evil, 'Cauterize'.
When cast, Cauterize will automatically restore you to maximum HP, regardless of injury.
However, your max HP will be halved, and will remain so for a duration equal to the injury healed.
Cauterize only works once on a target, and then can't be used on them again until they recover back their full HP.
It is not a pleasant healing.

RED'S HP: [ -89 / 50 ] - 114 HP healed!!
RED'S HP: [ 25 / 25 ] [Cauterized!]

Oh. Red's idea is to suddenly writhe and roll around on the elevator floor, clawing at the stone and pounding the wall while steam hisses off of her body in a boiling cloud of the most wonderful lawn-like vapors. I crawl over dumbly and pat her back to comfort, and she accepts it without telling me that each slap of my hand feels like one thousand meat tenderizers mashing her skin with sand and metal shavings. Eventually, the dryad forces herself back up, huffing while she mask-stares at more of my stuff. She looks at her cape-robe, and gets an idea to help take her mind off of the truly astounding pain during the lengthy ascent. She pulls it off and begins to tear it up good, making it much more cape-like, while also emptying out all of her dozens of little trinkets and chemical hiddens as she plucks off most of the many pockets. She bags her stuff up hazardously, and ties it to the case with the sealed Moloch Buster. She lunges at me, and yanks off my suitcoat as well as the shroud she gifted me a month ago, and sits down to set to witchcraft. I cool off without my coat and lay down again, suddenly seeing the mushrooms in the corner of my eyes. Hm? Yeah, it's them. Where the heck have you been? I can see swirls, colorwhorls, and I sigh as something relaxes my terribly tense body; healed of damage but not of stress. Wait, is the fungus is speaking to Red? I think so, yes. I hear echoes off of the darkened Silver Mind. Plants and fungus talk. They talk. They exchange ideas and values. In ways we othertypes do not. I nod at that idea and let myself feel sleepy. I get nonsensical ideas; I imagine a warm summer night and I'm in a bunk bed at Camp, and my Counselors are asleep in the other room, and tomorrow there will be no spiders and instead we're going to cook food and learn about being outside and how to tie a knot in a cool way. There's three ogres around a campfire singing and they don't have to kill to express Might. I touch my crown and marvel at the textures. I think about Bleeder and then I stop because instead of heated vindiction, the thought of him makes me sick and sad. I have to think about killing Burner, now. I want to tell Red a lot of things, but I know she's having a conversation with the fungus and I don't want to interrupt. So I smile and get lost in my warm colorful thoughts. When I come aware next, Red is kneeled over me, praying. She's holding the oily shield, and she's making some kind of gesture I can't see behind it. I blink and look at her, and it feels like my crown is dripping with something blacklight rainbow in pure sappy overpower.

TYRANT'S SUPERFUNGAL ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%]

Hm? Red is looking at me again as she works on my stuff. Her copper mask is indescribable under the golden light, swirling madly with blessed patterns. The mushrooms speak over my shoulder, and ask me if it's true that's what her face really is to me. What, the mask? Well yeah. It's the face she wants, right? It looks cool. I wish I had been allowed to do that in my last life. The fungus speaks something through a door around the back, and I stare dumbly at the ceiling oceans. Red seems to nod to herself, and adjusts her mask and hood of her freshly-shorn cape. She's done. She hands me back my nearly pure-black violet suit coat, now patched with crimsons, and also hands me back my shroud... and when I wear it, I start to cry and babble, because it looks like a lovely cabin blanket again! Like it did when she first gave it to me! It feels all heavy and soft and warm again. Red carefully adjusts my suit and tie while she clasps the blanket-shroud, and then points out something. What? I start to babble again and marvel when she pulls the blanket-cloak inside-out... and it's the wraithly silken shroud again?! Yeah!!

[+Joy!]

Red is the coolest! I sit up dizzily and sway, and play around over and over with summoning the shroud, and then making it flip back and forth on me between the lovely cabin comforter and the hellghost black shroud of its deluxe version. I don't even notice that this has changed me internally- Red's gift bleeds out her mighty magics now, leaking into the fires of my power and giving them something my parasite would call Lordly. But no, what really mattered to her and me is that she could make it be both things for me, and I'm so excited about it. It even have her own robe-pockets added in hidden places now! I can stash stuff easier! Mega cool. I roll around in the blanket form, keeping it on and warming myself with its denser fabric heat. Kwiat will love it being like this again!

Red's Gift posted:

The Sunset Shroud, which was Deluxified into the Solar Veil, has been given Lordly love for its final form, Red's Gift. Its natural powers have been enhanced again. Red's magics in it has kindled some of your own natural abilities that find kinship with her sorcery. The following abilities have been changed;

Kaimara」- It hasn't even manifested yet, but the immense Will penalty to enter the state is eased some by a +1 to the roll.
Psychic Shield」- It's been gifted the power of the Eye of the Sun - when used, you can choose to Reflect the damage instead of just negating it!
Molten Gold Veins」- No. Absolutely not. Red thinks you've barely adjusted to this new blood as it is, and she feels bad about it. She has a better solution than what the upgrade to this would provide.
Cheeseburger Magics」- She didn't bless this one on purpose, it took without her even knowing. But the Fire of the Cheeseburger Magics is now Lordly in strength. Order up~!
Red's Right Hand」- A prayer born from Red's witchcraft, now given its Lordly due.
Bloody Parasite」- Red spoke with the mushrooms, who spoke with the parasite they infest part of the brain of. Red can't gift a reprieve from the Sun, but the parasite is now comfortably Immune to Fire, and entrusted with Red's Lordly blood. Red expects the parasite to do something soon, when the moment comes.

In addition, Red enhanced the Zolty Zuit with some of her robe's scraps, making it the Zuper Zolty Zuit, giving it two new mods-

Chelebration Ultraviolet」- The Zolty Zuit's power of Chelebration now has a MUCH higher threshold before ventilation is needed, but that ventilation will be equally catastrophic.
Hibakujumoku」- You get one.

This is when Red does some stuff behind my back while I'm too drugged and shroomed to notice.

Red has permanently taken Ashtheft for herself.
Red has permanently taken the White Belt for herself.
Red takes the Eye of the Sun from you.
Red has permanently taken the Eye of the Sun for herself.
Red gives you back the Oilstained Shield, which has been forever changed by her.
Red makes you equip the Oilststained Shield.

The sheet has been updated to reflect these changes.

Red's sorry. But she's going to need these to help defeat Burner. I'm way too gone out to contest anything she's doing- all I see is my Counselor carefully packing my bag, while she hefts her wood sword and solar shield, her fresh-shorn heroic cape fluttering as she shoulders the pack. I clap! Proper Hero Red! I stand up unsteadily, sword and scarred shield, wearing my cabin blanket with gross pride in imitation. Oh Sauber, what would you think of me now? But I can't help it.

Our heroic duo, dressed like the legends in ready to slay a great evil. If only Blue were here too...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Did our suit just get the one-time ability to let us survive a nuclear blast?

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 4, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody Pom posted:

Did our suit just get the one-time ability to let us survive a nuclear blast?

sure seems like it

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

quote:

+3 ST from Solar Veil becoming Red’s Gift.

Yeah okay, I can live with this result. We're at 33 ST now. Unfortunately we still need 67 more ST to become a dragon. For Moloch tier, we only need +17 more ST

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Archive updated.

Thank you so much BA for sticking with this story so far!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OST: Oh, What Have You Done

I sit up and feel my heart racing. Even through a calming agent this powerful, my body is overwhelmed by the pure raw rainbow. Fermented and special-measured by the fungus, only possible to this degree because of their recent magic bond with my mitochondria. I start to say something but I seize with fear, and grab Red's arm. She's ready to hold me, and the mushrooms are talking over my shoulder again to tell me Red says it's okay. She's Counselor. She'll take lead for this. Just like with the Spider, remember?

The Dark posted:

The Mushrooms warm up the crown with psilolights.
It's OK. Red is here. Your Counselor swore to protect you.
Because of her, you now know for sure you have a Mother.

Knowing this is true... Tyrant relaxes a wounded fist - and lets go.

ANXIETY: [1%?] [Mega Mushroom Overdose!!] [Extra Lorazepam'd]

You're helped to standing while you cough, having way too many emotions at once. Red hugs you while you compose yourself; the mushrooms say it's time. You nod and clean up, adjusting your violet-glowing suit and trying to look your bravest, hidden under cabin blanket with sword and shield. Red is going to take the lead; she has a plan. Just like the Spider. Your crown is weeping black rainbow tears, staining your blood in heartbroken hues. The parasite knows something you don't, but it made a promise when it was fed Red's blood and the mushroom's hues. So all you feel is an unbridled relief; the dream's happy end. You don't even notice your magic and psionics busy at their own missives; the Silver Mind, bright with working, is now inhabiting three minds at once. The mushrooms act as a relay, speaking through the halls of your end in the Silver. It echoes near to the Queen of all Witches; her mere presence empowers the psychic wavelength immensely, which makes it possible for the third mind to realize and make distant contact.

Able to hear Levity, and so able to triangulate you, Sandor, the Psychic, stands up as he listens to the terrifying howl of ash and solar-worshiping screams just beyond the paper-thin safety of his magic tent. Sandor tuned out the horror and managed to concentrate enough to see it again. The black star! That IS another mind! The Psychic couldn't believe it. Levity's tremendous intrusion helped lens and focus his emotions and thoughts, now realizing that the grand far dark was another thinking being occupying his own psionic domain. Sandor focused all of his immense power out to the Valkyrie so he could better understand what was going on. Relax the body. Breathing exercises. The tent is still clean enough with fresh air to do it. Calm. Reflect off the complete purity of silver, let intentions be simple. Observe, third eye relaxed.

(Sandor - !PSI ESP Ω) 20 [6]+[2]+[3] = 11 - Success [By 9].
(Levity - !Pseudopsi) 14 [5]+[2]+[5] = 12 - Success [By 2].
(You - !PSI ESP β) 11 [1]+[3]+[6] = 10 - Success [By 1]!

Just barely! A strong signal is sent. Relay is good. He can slide his senses along this impossible axis, and slowly discover what you are. You? Sandor shakes his head, suddenly confused. Wait, what? I am I. No, that's the crown who is I. No, not I, but, *I*. Sandor! But, Sandor isn't thinking any of this; it's you thinking it with mushroom-brained scramble. The Psychic kneels down in disbelief as he suddenly understands-

There's a fourth psychic party here!!

(THE FUNGUS - !Pshroom ESP β) 11 [4]+[1]+[5] = 12 - Success [By 1]!

Too late!

Of course he wouldn't have seen it; a fourth hidden between three. Sandor reviles in recall of the phantom gasoline poisoning, the weird dreams, the burning ash storm- all of this had softened up his fortress mind just enough that he had no defense ready for something ambushing him - every surface of the Silver Mind was stained a rich and expansive rainbow-galaxy black with magipsi-mushrooms. The Psychic clasped his mouth as his Silver retracted, until he was only a small bright star in the midnight-opaline galaxy, opposite the small dark star. The mind of the Valkyrie was still there, a great distortion of wormhole smears, her psychadelic presence potentiating the fungus to new-colored heights. What was already a tremendous amount was now multiplied to 'Way The Hell Too Far' levels. Sandor's blood fought with its fungicidal silvers, but his brain was quickly falling to the psilolight regardless. He collapsed, eyes watering, feeling the world fall beneath him.

Around this time, Levity decided to speak up. "Why am I high??"
Sandor was on the ground of the elevator, sweating profusely and trying to keep his focus.
You're not looking at anyone. Because you're dozing in Red's arms, radiating fungal magics.
I'm completely checked out. My hand is too relaxed to know how to clench right now. My crown, rainbow bright.
Levity is rubbing her eyes and looking irritated, while Rienne sharpens her blades and Gandiva rubs his hand.
Burner went first. They yelled at her to hold up, but she went alone. Forced them to wait.
The Matriarchs were seen climbing the outside ladder access.
Lumes was with the ogres and the others below. They'd take it up after. Too risky to go without vanguard.
Levity was looking right at you, but she can't see you yet, because Sandor is clouding everything out of habit.
"No, why am I this high?"
Rienne and Gandiva didn't seem to realize she was speaking. The elevator's garden-muzak was drowning things out.
Sandor stands up with fear. The SUN. It's watching, just outside. He feels his eyes sting and he struggles to breathe.
You're asleep in Red's arms. She's slumped in the corner away from the others.
She's feeling herself draw near to herself, and she's gentle when she touches your crown with comforting.
I look at the Mushrooms, limp and delirious. I need to ask them and Red.
Why did you dose us so badly? Did I do something wrong?
Red is hugging me tightly. She shakes her head. No.
That's enough. You relax, and the elevator rings like a church bell when it comes to a stop.
Sandor cries out at the light that floods the dark compartment.
Rienne, Levity, and Gandiva stride out.
You wake up and struggle to a stand, Red guiding you to follow out with her.
The Mushrooms whirl with power, making the world melt in waves.

Reality softens. You blink into bare-awareness, the overdose and inhalant making your body feel like it's colorsparking in molasses. Sandor shudders under the weight of the chemical assault as Levity wobbles, sine-waving in and out of the superhigh. You meander with Red, hiding your head under cabin blanket from the brightness. Rienne, Levity, and Gandiva all freeze as they realize that they can see you again; you, Shadow, clad in fire, quiet little hellghost, floating along with another phantom. One who was shaped like- "Burner?" It's Levity who asks, her PSI-addled brain hearing Burner's thoughts. But she hears two Burners. The Emperor of Hell squints through the searing bright to the peak of the platform; there stands their Burner. The Wanderers look at one another with unease while Red leads on, dragging blade of wood, with you, dragging sword of stone. You ask her; where are we? It's smooth, gold, and white. Small slim sweeping stairs. The ashcloud sky, dancing with such a brutality of sworl. Red and the mushrooms keep whispering to one another as their plan unfolds. You itch your head and abstractly realize that they've been conspiring together since... since you rescued her at the apartments. You can't articulate why, but that's a relief to know.

Red is smiling behind her mask as you walk to Burner. The 5th Lord is standing with her back to you two, gripping something hidden, her dark robes whipping about in the warmed skywinds. They're a lot like Red's... but much less tattered, more brightly colored and 'clean' as a Sunburner could be. Strangely plain compared to her cult. No mask, though. Can't make out her brightsmear face. Her shrefts of grassy hair... oh. You get it. Burner and Red; they must be the same kind of dryad, which makes this more personal. You look around and drunkenly raise your sword and shield while trying to say something, but only slurred spit comes out. Red holds you up while you point- there's shades. Green, and pink, and crimson. But wait, wait- look again. See? The Matriarchs are here now too, climbing over the terrible edge. But there, Red, there even again! More shades, the same size and shape as the Matriatchs. Violet, orange, white and black. You heave nervous at the colors blazing your eyes with their terrible motions under such bright sunlight. Sunlight. You look up to the great circular rift to the clear white sky. There it hangs.
̢͉͎̖͓͋̊ͣͪ̀͝͞ ̵̫͖͖̯͂̓̑ͪ̀͢͞ ͋͒́̉҉̛̩̳̫̯̕͢ ̸̲͙̩̑ͯ̈́̕͞ ̸̨̧̩̦̥͗͂ͨ ̶̢̰̳̫̍̃̒͠ ̨̦̜͔͑̔̀́̕ ̢̛̭̺̄̔ ͖̘̍̀̚͜ ̥̜ͤͧ͜͠ ̨̝̥̉͒͠ ̬̊͘ ͚ͪ̕ ͑҉̳ ̨̀ͅ
THE SUN...
̢͉͎̖͓͋̊ͣͪ̀͝͞ ̵̫͖͖̯͂̓̑ͪ̀͢͞ ͋͒́̉҉̛̩̳̫̯̕͢ ̸̲͙̩̑ͯ̈́̕͞ ̸̨̧̩̦̥͗͂ͨ ̶̢̰̳̫̍̃̒͠ ̨̦̜͔͑̔̀́̕ ̢̛̭̺̄̔ ͖̘̍̀̚͜ ̥̜ͤͧ͜͠ ̨̝̥̉͒͠ ̬̊͘ ͚ͪ̕ ͑҉̳ ̨̀ͅ
Sandor is screaming to the dark star in his mind. He is outside his tent at Home, and inside ash. He is walking through the storm and screaming, skin burning and shredding; but when the clouds whip away there is no relief. There is SUN, begging him to stare upon it with photonic sacrifice. He reflects the thought away with his Silver, choking as he tenderly touches his sandpaper-scalded skin. He crawls over the warm loving grasses, hellbent on reaching Burner in time. But then the dryads come. They're stained with glittering ash and their eyes are strange-hued. They smile while they grab onto him and dig the sharp of their splitering fingers in, but withdraw to leave shouting in shock when they taste the sterling of his blood. Instead they follow him, leering, whispering. They're saying something, but the Silver Mind is forcing him deaf. They're saying it, three times. Soothing leaves brushing over his bleeding back. Sunlight fading his mind with 130 degree heat.
You're weaving back and forth while you watch the Matriarchs and their copy-shades freeze in confusion. Everyone is looking at one another with bewilderment. Red and Burner are the only ones moving; Red guiding you steadily as you stumble, Burner turning to look over her shoulder at everyone gathered. Your super-psychic state lashes out and drinks up the context, and you drool more while it percolates; of course! This is a trap. This would be a stupid place to have a fight, unless you *wanted* everyone backed into a corner and cut off from easy escape. That means Burner is completely committed to death. You think you admire that, and plan to thank her for it with a stone handshake through her ribcage. You howl and spit, leaping up suddenly to smash your sword and shield down with a terrible ring. Despite the sedation, your body is still far too driven to kill the Lord before you. That's when Sandor starts shouting as he crawls from the elevator, pointing at Burner.

Levity, struggling with fungus, suddenly agrees and pulls out her spear. "DON'T LET THEM HURT BURNER!" The Matriarchs, having broken the spell of seeing their shadeselves, start to move to get ahead of the Wanderers. Gandiva and Rienne both react outside of thought, drawing arrow and sword. Although all eight of them were disarrayed, the Matriarchs were still bent on the quickslay. All were armed with a Petal, drawn ready to bring terrifying destruction; but they didn't have all of them. The Solar Flare is first, moving tenderly from the flashfry of the reflected laser earlier, her Noonbuster already raising to aim, housing a fresh deadly charge... for you.

You lean on your sword and see it in slowblur. Red sheathes her wood sword, and yanks out this... this gun! You're fascinated. It's so bulky and short and mean. Is it a shotgun? Some weird witchmade one. Such a shiny shiny dark dark ruby-fire metal. Two brutal barrels. Tremendously chunky chamber-lock. Red is one-handing it, tensing her burnscar arm as she holds up the Eye with the other, giving you cover. Is she aiming for Burner?! Should you get your gun too? Wait, no. She's aiming for the Matriarchs. Hold on- so is Burner! Burner has a shotgun too! But the 5th Lord is aiming for the shades. Then, you feel it, before you know what's been done. Explosive gunfire. They both shoot. Teeth-clattering. Bowel-punching. Eye-rolling. Oh, it must feel absolutely amazing to shoot such a firearm. You're vaguely remembering the first time you heard a gun go off next to you. Assess; the crown is still watching through ego's death. Shotguns like small artillery shells. But wait- right before they fired, magic was thrown! The Lordly guns were convinced to do something outside of their burning nature. The math in your head is slow and soft, so soaked with color that the motions bleed and struggle to make sense.

WAR WITH A LORD posted:

Red stares at Burner.
Red speaks to the Mushrooms, who speak to the Valkyrie, bouncing the thoughts off of her and to Burner.
LORD and LORD speak, as trees do.
Red draws her hidden Petals of Ruin, 'Thus Spak Demogorgon'.
Burner casts the spell, 'Elemental Decay' on Red's Petal, and readies her own Petal of Ruin, 'Thus Spak Demogorgon'.
Red's Thus Spak Demogorgon lost its innate Fire-Element!
The Matriarchs are no longer immune to its damage.
Red tenses her shoulders, struggles to resolve something, and aims for the Solar Flare.
The nonelement massive shotgun blast does 5dx5 - 60 damage.

See?
What's very funny for Red is that the Solar Flare has only 10 HP.
Which means 60 damage instantly kills her, to the exact degree.
The mushrooms don't mean to tell you, but they can hear Red's thoughts clear as day-
She didn't mean to so immediately aim for the most frail of the Matriarchs, knowing what her weapon can do.
But she pulled the trigger.
The Solar Flare is dead.
She's dead.
Crumpled and bleeding out, her soft ash silks staining rapidly as Matriarchs and shades all stiffen with tree-like shock.
Red withers while looking at the murdered dryad. Then she looks at Burner.
Nobody moves or does anything. They just stare at the body.
So, because she can go again,
Red casts the spell, 'Elemental Decay' on Burner's Petal, and prepares to reload 'Thus Spak Demogorgon'.
Burner's Thus Spak Demogorgon lost its innate Fire-Element!
The Matriarchs are no longer immune to its damage.
Burner aims her weapon, having resolved something, and aims right for the ashen white shade.
The nonelement massive shotgun blast does 5dx5 - 80 damage this time.

Like that.
Dead.
The ashen white shade is shrone, fading to ghostlight.
The elevator dings, with the indication that it's coming back up soon.

SUPERFUNGAL: [ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][80%]

You wipe your face, utterly enchanted with the tactile sensation of your poor hurting hands wrapped around the sword and shield. Every step you take is a dull hurt of curiosity, feeling your feet squish from blood and water, sensory distractions as you sway towards Burner. You've been forgotten in the sudden pandemonium, your Silver psychics a soft cloud over their minds as you stare up at the glory of the SUN. You wiggle your body as the stiffness leaves it, stopping to stare dow̠ͨ͝ņ̵̠̠̔͌ ͐̋̋͏̛҉̪̫̲a͆́ͫ̏͏̸̥̥͔͉̀͞t̶͋̄̄ͣ͂̀͟͟҉̫̘̗̺͕ ̴̴͊ͥ̄̅̑̓͢͢͏͙̻̤̺͉̖͢ţ̧̧̛͙̩̠̣̳̱̽ͫ̊̐̈́̈ͭ͘͘͢ͅhͪ͛̋̔́̔ͪ͗͏̶̶̶́͜͢҉̻̫̠̘̞̘̞̳e scholar in the shredded maroon outfit. He's groaning like an animal, blooded and torn up by ashstorm and dryadic whispers around you. You look at the shield you hold, and nod with unthought understanding. The Ones Like. Gotta be like that. He was nice when you were depressed in the apartment bed, even though he was dying of gasoline poisoning. So you lean down and swat to clear away the dryads crowding him, and then start to awkwardly drag him over the ground. He needs to reach Burner like you do, right? She's right there- three long miles away. The Psychic looks against the ash and light, and points at the robed figure. You sigh and shake your head; no, Burner is not that beautiful and uncaring limoge dryad with the golden hair, her bokken drawn and leaned upon with intent. No, that's the Traitor. You met her. You have the shield that she broke her wooden killblade upon, so you're not scared of its lazy swings. You grunt and drag the guy over the burning grass ground, and he howls his fear of having to confront someone so purely tree-like with loathing for his silver countenance. The Gold of the SUN rightfully saw his infinite Silver only as a suitable servant to reflect the solar glory. But he has to crawl towards it for there to be any hope of victory. He has to confront what happened on that day that he cannot remember, under judgment of Zenith Noon.
͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝
Around you both, Hell follows. The Ranger not questioning the executions even if she wasn't going for killstrike herself, dual swords drawn. The Valkyrie still fighting with psychic and mushroom megadose, poisoning her sorceries with black rainbows while the Silver clouded everyone's senses with graceless light. The 8th Lord calmly watching you. Doesn't matter. You're paying attention only to dragging the Psychic to Burner, with Red opening the way ahead. She's reloading now. Powerlock chambers. Needed brutal strength to force them open, vent the crystal slag, slam them closed for a reload of the magic burstshot. Enchanting sound of clicking slam-locks. Oh, the grand ping of a rifle didn't compare. The Psychic won't stop seething, really badly burned and scabbed up. You swing your shield at the dryads trying to promise him something with sunny sweet whispers, and pick him up in a full over-arm carry.
͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝ ͆҉̝
The Thundering King and Violet Shade have four blades drawn, and the Ranger is already way way way too fast. You point at them to distract the Psychic from his pain. See how fast that green shade is? Look at her cheat. Heaven's speed is horrifying. It's not just the celestial Dance of speed, an angelic technique; it's that she leaps through gaps in perception with her Empire-mastery of the werewolf within. Ultimate predator. Every single micro-lapse of where you see her, turns into where you don't want her to be seen. Those awful violet giants are screaming their most final betrayals, but the Emperor is dancing. She's bladesmacking their instruments of destruction from their hands with as much force as she can muster, with a style of swordfight you struggle to follow. The Psychic won't stop gnashing his teeth over his stressful state of mushroom overdose happening far faster than his fungicidal blood can mitigate. The Valkyrie's potentiating power- it's hellacious. You can both hear her voice in annoying corrective: "Bodacious." Sure, Levity, whatever. You note that she's trying to madly throws runes to protect against the still deep-wounded Metal Fire and the gray shade, achieving stalemate through raw PSI overwhelm- the Valkyrie's psychic state was a neon hose of crippling sensory scramble. That left just the Gasoline God and her attendant shade. You're kind of sad. She was nice to you, kinda. She was fun to race; is she going to die? You reshoulder the Psychic while the SUN screams down with a sermon, but you take no notice because the mushrooms have managed to leak into your spine with rainbow-black overpaint, and you're too busy arguing with the wounded Psychic about the Traitor. But then the Gasoline God has tackled you both to the ground, hard into the searing soft gold-white of the Megalith peak. She's surely screaming something in her heart at you, and you stare emptily while she shakes you, and the Psychic curls up and grinds his teeth and holds on to your hand. Her fist rises back with savage intent, but slacks when you reach out and touch her chrome mask with a dumb expression. You're seeing yourself in its clean reflect, and don't quite believe who's there. The Matriarch starts to shake badly, backing away with fearful body language that does not suit her great gasoline strength. But you're looking past her now, hauling up the dying Psychic with a firefight-carry, sword and shield still ready with Lordending intentions. You blink against the terrifying͢ ̽̕͢a̷̓̍҉͝s̴̶̸̡͌̂̃h̷̶̐̀̾́͝s̷̢̀̓̄̀͠ţ͂ͧ̏̀̕͡ǒ̧̋͢͝r̡m̀s̛҉̶̝̪,̵̧̜̬͔͘͝ ̴̹̩̥͟͜͡ş̨̪͕̭͢͞ȩ̛̠̗̣͟͞e̴̙͕͟͠i̧͖͡ng the Traitor again, so close. She's standing where the SUN is always shining, at Home's heart. She's wearing one of the rarest faces. The Grand Hell face. Pure face. Hideous with tremendous judgments face. Such a soul-scalding transcendentally beauty-hate face.

The face of the SUN as beheld when one floats in the void of space.

The royal countenance of it makes your heart sing and spine crumble, but you soldier on with something she doesn't have- rainy dawn eyes. You, Crowned With Night. Oh you, Tyrant Walking. Yes you, the End End End of what her great ceaseless SUN reigns above.
You approach the Traitor with the Psychic upon your back. You set foot into the warm soft circle of most pure light. The sky is pitch-black clean, allowing the noonlight to have no barrier in way of the totality of radiance. It's silent. The grass is soft and plush with green.
Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone; oh they lurch and bristle and sigh and whistle all in terror at her mere approach. But you look at her. Survivor. Eidolon. Traitor? Liar. You broke her blade. With a filthy shield that was nearly lost in the final day of the Island.

You tell her she can't do it. The shield will keep being in the way of every direction she turns in the dark, save for towards the one photon of light still left in her dead soul. She has already broken the Island. She is Traitor in her failure to commit to her hatred.
You suddenly start to snicker, and the dying Psychic asks what's so funny. You tell him that you've been barely thinking any of this admonishment at the goldgrass dryad; a lot of it is the mushrooms digging into your and the Psychic's brains, and then using what's there while speaking at her.
Mushrooms are so weird! The Psychic agrees, whispering from blistered and scarred lips. Oh, right. If the mushrooms are doing the talking, then you'll dump the maroon scholar off and yell at the Trai- at Teal. You yell at Teal to keep him safe and alive, so he can help kill Burner. Okay?

Teal doesn't do her petty little tree-still deathstare. She doesn't scowl at you like you just accused her of something bad. She doesn't ignore you. She just sighs while she looks at the shield, sad, and the mushrooms dusting her sunny skull suddenly make her relax a little and start to regret how eager her meaness has been.
You lightly boot the Psychic, while the Silver Mind echoes pain and continues to shine like a superstar of silver light in the mushroom galaxy. You thank him and tell him to keep augmenting the psionic trinity, and all along the space-black sky you can see streams of silver gifting the thoughtwaves with something special.
The mushrooms get to work with what Red told them to do. They ride a long road - from in your skull, along the Silver Mind's tunnels, amplified madly by the Valkyrie's supreme witch-strengths, helped by Red and Burner's power, and finally driven to true excellence by contact with Sandor as a perfect beacon.

You have to push past Teal and let Sandor do his thing, but you ask him as you head after Red- so what are the mushrooms doing? The Psychic laughs, weakly, now fully rancid on psilojoy. He says every solarmad dryad and denizen of Home, as well as everyone on the Megalith's peak, is being driven into a supermassive dose of your mushroom's most fermented spores. You ask if that's good. The Psychic says not to worry about it, and to do what Red says. He's proud of you; his student unseen. The Silver Mind was an incredible struggle for him at first, and you've made it so much further than he did when starting out. He wants you to keep trying, and to keep being gentle with yourself; Silver assumes incredible shapes when handled with slow strength. You're sad this talk with him will all fade with the end of the mushroom's high, but you smile and tell him you've never had a teacher who was proud of you. That makes you feel good. You tell him that, and he's lying there on the grass, Teal carefully peeling away his burned clothing while she sets to the solar mend of his monstrous burns. He's just staring at you with something in his silver eyes, seeing something that will haunt his daydreams. You go run after Red, knowing that's he's keeping you in mind - and you, he. You plea. To lend his mastery. His reliability. The strange vision fades into sunlight.
Red hurries you along as you near Burner.
The Solar Flare is still dead, gunned down by Red.
The Metal Fire is a heap; already weak, broken in two with the dragonbone sword by Red.
Oh... Gasoline God. The Fire Root; her lungs. Ripped to little shreds. Done at Red's command.
The violet shade is being held back in protection by the 8th Lord, as she struggles and silent-screams. The white, gray, and orange shades are all still.

You look back. The Thundering King. Unarmed. Slack. Looking at you- just you. Oh- the elevator has arrived. There; the golden shade. Large, looming, all the way at the back as she comes out. And then- it's them! Hello! You wave. Three shapes of safety- ogre red; ogre orange; ogre yellow. You sniffle, glad they're not dead. Cayver Cauvay waves in your direction, smiling fireblind. You look at Red, drenched in the heat of your dreamjoy. Right? A dream came true. Your Counselor, here with you. Every enemy, slain to rest! Only Burner left for death. The Thundering King doesn't dare move, and the shades who tried to kill you all stay back. Right. It's YOUR fight. They saw what happened when they got in your way before. Burner is waiting patient where the SUN is halo, and Red brings you inside that final circle as your both stand heroic. You raise your shield, and point your sword at the SUN. You look- Burner does the same. She heaves the Eye and Ashtheft, and you try to not cry from how happy your are. You can do it. You can not feel bad about it. You can overcome without every living fiber of your body twisting with permanent damage to your everything.

You slide to your knees with a gagging cough, the megadose making your belly hurt real bad again. You look dazed at Red, who talks through the mushrooms.
She tells you that it's okay. You and her are fighting Burner right now. The SUN is so evil with bright, your crown growing warm from the light.
Burner is standing still, hands open. Flickering. Radiant. Nuclear dryad. Atomic witch. You cough harder and nod. You're fighting a LORD.
You stand up sloppily as Red walks with you to get in front of Burner. Every motion leaves the most colorwarm afterimage.
Then you both slow down when you nearly step upon them; Petals? Scattered down before you three.

You slur and sway, glaring at the 5th Lord. Red is saying something. They're talking. You're trying to not puke; it'll pass, but what awful timing. But, they're talking; through the mushrooms, so it's okay. Red is saying something about how she does hereby sacrifice the power of these Petals. Huh? You watch wide-eyed while the Petals rise up in the air. The only Petals that don't float away are Red's Eye of the Sun, the sealed Moloch Buster, and one that Burner clutches hidden in the folds of her robe.

THE FIFTH LORD'S NUCLEAR WITCHCRAFT posted:

As her right as 5th Lord, Red sacrifices 5 and 5 Petals of the Flower of Ruin. Red has sacrificed 'Jet Sword'; 'Jet Sword'; 'Thus Spak Demogorgon'; 'Thus Spak Demogorgon'; 'Dragoncrusher'; 'Dragoncrusher'; 'Her Love & Her Hate'; 'Her Love & Her Hate'; 'Fire Root'; 'Fire Root'.
Red is fully healed. Her Cauterization is mended.
Red also fully heals Burner, whose Cauterization is mended.
Red sets down the MC&D case with the sealed Moloch Buster.
Red expends the immense power of the Petals...
...and casually fist-bumps the case, which pops open all the locks.

The Moloch Buster has been unsealed.
Red equips the Moloch Buster and the Eye of the Sun.
Burner equips the Moloch Buster and the Eye of the Sun.

This is it.... this is the moment! You inhale. Clean air! Bubbled strong! Healthy and holy! Levity is still in your head, so of course you do what Valkyries do- you scream a sing of challenge to her, shade of that most vile nuclear, faceless atomic terror-

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So i've not really considered it before but uh WHERE exactly did we pick up the funny crown?
I have to admit that until now it never really clicked with me that it's, y'know a CROWN as in a royalty thing, not just a funny dark circle that makes head not hurt.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Two.]
[Two of her.]
[Burner has reached where she is meant to be slain, and another Burner is here. But, they're...]
[They're talking to each other. The text says so. They're speaking as if this was an intended interaction.]
[And it is. It's clean. Stable. This was meant to happen all along. The 5th Lord is communing with her other self.]

...LOADING

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Regallion posted:

So i've not really considered it before but uh WHERE exactly did we pick up the funny crown?
I have to admit that until now it never really clicked with me that it's, y'know a CROWN as in a royalty thing, not just a funny dark circle that makes head not hurt.

quote:

You move to sit up, and something hard lightly bumps the back of your head. You freeze, before slowly reaching back to confirm two things- one, what you bumped into was a sword. Two... there's something stuck to the top-back of your head. Feeling carefully through your hair, you touch something hard and dense. You dig in your nails to pull at it, surprised when it doesn't give at all. You search the object, pulling, prodding- your heart heats up as you confirm what you're feeling.

ANXIETY: [10%]

There's a large mass of rock-hard tissue crowning your head, and as far as your fingers can tell, it's fused into your skull. The reveal tickles your nerves with panic. You exhale, thankfully assaulted by too many other sensations to let this one take over your thoughts. You look at the psuedo-sword. It's a slab of concrete, cracked and worn, broken in such a way that it resembles a crude blade. The 'hilt' was even wrapped in white rags for a better grip. What makes the sword strange is that it appears to be striated with a glossy pitch-black substance. You rub a finger over it, and quickly realize that it feels the same as the scar on your skull.

We woke up with the black stuff fused to our head and also on the concrete sword. Don't think we ever got an explanation for it other than it being a Corruption.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well that was…a lot. Wow

It’s time

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So all we have to do is take Burner's Moloch Buster to the head while giving a clear shot for Red to fire the Moloch Buster!

...I'm happy "I/You/Tyrant" is thick-headed, otherwise the implications of two Burners (and that he was allied with Burner all along) may cause unblockable paradox damage to the brain.

... WAIT! THE LOOT! THEY GOT RID OF THE LOOT!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Randalor posted:

So all we have to do is take Burner's Moloch Buster to the head while giving a clear shot for Red to fire the Moloch Buster!

...I'm happy "I/You/Tyrant" is thick-headed, otherwise the implications of two Burners (and that he was allied with Burner all along) may cause unblockable paradox damage to the brain.

... WAIT! THE LOOT! THEY GOT RID OF THE LOOT!

I mean, we should probably be more worried about the wanderers about to be in the epicenter of at least one direct nuclear blast, but without our new ability to endure one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

taiyoko posted:

I mean, we should probably be more worried about the wanderers about to be in the epicenter of at least one direct nuclear blast, but without our new ability to endure one.

We don't actually know HOW our suit vents its radiation, do we? It could very well be 3 nuclear blasts.

Also, thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbt, they had it coming! After all, they tried to bury us in magma! And forgave us! ...wait...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Randalor posted:

We woke up with the black stuff fused to our head and also on the concrete sword. Don't think we ever got an explanation for it other than it being a Corruption.

Alyssa revealed a little more about it back during the Mi-Go saga.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Black August posted:

Alyssa revealed a little more about it back during the Mi-Go saga.

In my defense, the intro is on the front page. The Mi-Go arc is... somewhere else.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Randalor posted:

It could very well be 3 nuclear blasts.

:sickos:

Goddamn that was a lot. And yeah drat I wanted that shotgun.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It had all happened so, so fast. The sudden attack on their bodies, now overwhelmed in the biological, magical, and psionic with a debilitating amount of fungus. Then came the tremendous violence. It started with the red shade opening fire, cutting down the ashen-white shade. Then Burner copied it beat for beat, simply strongarming the shotgun up before the Solar Flare just- skidded and crumpled, her solar prosthetics shattered and bleeding light. The terror of the other Matriarchs had been palpable to the 8th Lord's senses. But even as he drew arrows, even as Levity sloppy-traced runes against her compromise, even as Rienne twisted to move with Godspeed;

It was like a terrible hand had gripped existence and shook its weak neck. Vertigo. Magnetic slam-and-release. Eyes rolling so far back the optic nerves tense to near-fray. Spines twisting against feeling as if they were being struck by a car, the lick of burning ash scraping their hairs. Everyone collapsed in a heap when it ended. Gandiva weathered it, keeping still as it flowed over his leaves. What did he see? A whistling dragonbone, dervished as Metal Fire clumsily moved her heavy blade, watching the magnesium slab shattering right before it was driven through her skull. His heart leapt- after such careful reluctance to bring them to harm, Burner was now murdering her kine. He tried to call out, but again existence shuddered and shook, and he could see the Shadow dragging someone with a protective shield over them. He fell this time, to one knee, seeing how the Gasoline God punched and clawed at her own throat and lungs, before weakly expiring.

It had happened much too fast- and now it was happening faster yet. Gandiva leaps for the Thundering King and holds her back, desperate to try to save her life against the instantaneous deaths. It works. A calm comes, and the 8th Lord cradles the dryad, who shakes fierce with broken faith and fear. Around him, Rienne was fighting just to dog-crawl across the bright ground. Levity was completely gone, her eyes unblinking with rainbows as she stares at the solar sky, unable to stop her own power from being used as a super-relay. Lumes is slumped against the elevator door, the many wounded still camping shelter inside. Gandiva blinks- wait. There. The three ogres; they're fine. They walk out, calm with procession, stopping when they reach the 8th Lord, Cayver Cauvay waving with a cheerful grin at someone. Gandiva tries to speak, but can't help but cough from the nausea of the mushrooms. While they didn't affect him strongly, the constant re-dosing was difficult to manage, and would make arrowshot dangerous. But something had to be done-

And that was the old red ogre touching his shoulder. His hand, making a Sign. Gandiva, returning it with a curious calm.
He asks; "What is happening?"
The ogre isn't smiling with joy. "They heard each other through roar of SUN, like we did on that destined-dead day. They want to walk as one-in-one away, away from the Island. They... want it to hurt as little as possible for their Moonlight."
Gandiva wasn't sure he understood all of it. But he knew of the SUN. "Then, Burner is listening to what was promised. But why did her faithful have to die?" Still he held the weary King.
Cayver Cauvay points. "Because she knows the only win is to cheat. Wiseman, walk, but keep down your cane. Bring them to sunlight. Let them send you Home."
The Archer thought it insane, but the three had already walked on- Omelio gathered Metal Fire's bodies. Ivar gathered the Gods of Gasoline. Cayver Cauvay took up the ruins of each Solar Flare. They walked to the edge of the great circle of sunlight, where Burner began a ritual, while the bodies where gentled down with supplication.

Gandiva waited a moment to watch. It was difficult to see what the Shadow and the red shade were doing with Burner. So he helped the Emperors stand with Lumes' aid. He told them what was happening.

The Silver Mind posted:

I don't know what I'm doing.

I locked Mom into the back room. Crocell is smashing apart the immense barricade went spent an hour stacking against her increasing screams of solar apoplexy. I thought over and over about what I felt when I saw Teal through the window, and now I'm acting on simple but stupid logic. Crocell is going to break out and kill us. But not if Mom is locked in the back, while I go out into the storm to confront the dryad, blade in hand.

I don't want to admit to knowing what I'm doing.

I wait until the ash stops falling. I smash open the front doors of the council church, and sway out into the incredible heat. I can hear Crocell breaking her body to pretty little pieces as she uses multiplicative strength to find release into the promised light of outside. It's so hard to see. A world of dim golds and pale whites, my skin sizzling as I take steps out towards the lake at the heart of Home. I touch the scar on my head, and I start to gag and cough. My single mutant neuron of psychic ability flares with terrifying strength, as I fall into a psionic trance. Sandor?! He's in trouble. I can actually feel the Silver Mind! It's like I'm in some tiny little dark pocket of mentality, taking in radio signals of some infinitely immense silver object right next to me. My skull-scar... it feels so lovely warm. I rush with my blade dragging, and find myself completely unsurprised when I push by more of Home's dryads clustering in dance-waves. They're so beautiful. They're all hard blossomed, each plant feature overgrown to excess and given wild vitality, leaf-hairs dragging long over the scalding grasses and flowers glutting open head-sized with color. They'd drag me to the hill to be blinded and blooded to become one with the SUN, but there's something rainbow fungal completely destroying their solar hatred. All they can think to do is dance and weep with plea for a noonday eternal that only soft rains can dare to interrupt.

So I push past them. And the ash starts to fully clear. And the sky is pure white. And the SUN is zenith bright. I see her there by the south beach, where me and Aitvaras like to have dinner. She's sitting at the table set up by it, tending to Sandor, who quietly breathes at death's doorstep. But the white witch is being unusually gentle, working in cooling clays and foaming salts on the burnscabs littering him. I approach with my blade dragging, unblinking, looking right at her. I realize something terrible. That I really do have an irrational crush on her; the unbelievable beauty, the cruel attitude, the impeccable intellect. But I immediately know I'm capable. It never left me. Ever! It's here still with well-oiled springload! My killing intent. I could be in love with her a hundred times and I'd still be this ready to cut her down without a single second's hesitation.

...but she's healing the Psychic. She looks- she looks tired and sad. That's supposed to inspire hate in me, the disgust of pity and the resent of emotional vulnerability.
Instead, someone else speaks up for me. Someone who has been getting louder every day since I came Home. Someone who makes me raise my hand and greet her, and ask if she's okay.
Well, it's more like a too-hurried "Auhhrheurorrhay?", but the ever-louder someone makes my heart ring gold with a stupid little jump when Teal speaks back, understanding me clearly.
"I'm okay. I'll can save him."
You sit down on the grass by them. You ask if she feels the weird stuff in her head too?
"Mushrooms."
Mushrooms?? You suddenly feel the memory-taste of oily soda on the back of your throat.
"I don't know how. Everyone is wetted with them. It's over."
I look up, more serious. I cut right to it, despite the peace. I ask - this is your fault?
Teal blinks. She nods her head, neutral with regret.
I ask, and I gently take a handful of the hem of her sleeve as I do; will you end it before someone has to die?
The dryad looks at the hill behind us, where sacrifice is to be made. But the mushrooms were too colorful and silly and sad and loud.
They make Teal think of Helara. Of the black phantom that demanded, with divine appeal, to save the dying Psychic.
"It is done. Under witness of SUN. Let Holly know it's safe to get everyone. But... first, let them mourn."
Mourn?
Teal doesn't look. She points to the hill, and then further towards the unbearable sight of the zenith light.
Over the clear hot winds came the wailing of guilt; of sorrow's secret knowledge.

You're crying really hard, and you don't know why. You think it's because the sight of the Moloch Buster coming out makes you really happy, but you're also really, really scared. Because Burner has one, too. You pull Red's sleeve and you finally confess that you're too scared to fight Burner; you yelled real loud and mean, but she has a nuke, and it scares you so so bad. You think you're supposed to be having a panic attack, or supposed to be killing her as fast as possible, but instead you're shutting down like a bad dream and you don't know what to do.

SUPERFUNGAL: [ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][ 🍄 ][90%]

Red looks at you, and then at Burner. The 5th Lord slows down, and patiently waits. Red turns around and leans to hug you, and the mushrooms have forced something open and you start talking too fast; about how you didn't know Smiercia would make you fight someone with nuclear weapons, and how it scares you so bad that you have a lot of bad chemicals inside of you from this walk, and you didn't know it could be this bad after Bleeder, and you're scared SICK thinking about how much worse it's going to get... and then you can't make words anymore, so you just hold onto your Counselor because you're drugged incoherent and scared.

That's when something very, very special happens.
You don't question it this deep inside of the magic.
You can hear Red talking.
Her head over your shoulder, whispering in your ear.
She sounds soft and dry; a summer's day's breeze struggling through the meadows.

("Hey. Moonlight.")
You hold on tighter and go quiet. Her voice. Red's voice.
("It's okay. I know a secret that will save you.")
A secret? You look to where Burner stands; she's closer now, but she's polite with her arms down, waiting.
("Yeah. I got a secret spell that will defeat Burner, and let you escape. No blowing up.")
You kick and jump while holding the dryad, overwhelmed with gratitude for her saving you again.
("Shhh... listen very carefully. This is the secret spell we'll cast to defeat Burner.")
The world drowns out. There is SUN. There is silence. There is your Counselor's voice.
("I'm going to trick her into copying me. Then, I'm going to make her vulnerable to your sword. Finally, I'll turn her power into a way to send you to safety.")
You ask, what do I have to do? How do I help the secret spell? You know she's smiling- the mushrooms said so.
("When the moment comes, you will speak her Name, and you will defeat her with one blow.")
Her Name... she has one?
("Eirica.")
That's strange. For a Lord to have a Name. Burner... Eirica.
("They're not supposed to. They sacrificed them. They're not supposed to remember them. To be that person anymore.")
If you speak her Name, then she'll be vulnerable?
("When the moment comes. Raise this.")
She gently puts away your blackened blade. She gives you... Ashtheft! She holds you to help point it at Burner.
("Do you feel brave again?")
Hyenaheart」- Yeah!!
("What does a Champ say?")
BLACK CROWS ALWAYS GONNA WIN!

YOU & RED

vs

BLESSED OF THE TRAITOR
ATOMIC SORCERER
THE FIFTH LORD

Burner.

WAR WITH A LORD posted:

Red picks you up and wipes your face. Wet driplets down from beneath her mask. She carries you until you stand before the 5th Lord, the world adrown in the absolute photonic stream. Red lets you stand, and you wobble and wave your sword and shield at the terrible evil. Burner loosely holds up her Eye of the Sun, the sword uselessly clacking against it. Red nods, and you can hear her through the mushrooms again. See? She's simply too powerful without the secret spell. You wobble. Right. You start to listen to your psychic senses for more information about Burner, but Red stops you.

It's fine, she says. I can tell you everything; Burner is strong. But nowhere near as strong as you. She's agile for a dryad, and they say she's pretty smart. But together, we're smarter than her. She's tough, but not enough to survive our secret spell. She'll never see it coming.
Red makes you stand back. She looks at Burner, and each raise their cannons and shields. Red struggles her burnt arm into the Moloch Buster, and you finally see it active. The horrible blackmetal weapon of mass destruction weighs her arm down badly as she fights her fist into the control-slot.
When it clicks, suddenly her upper arm and shoulder get a wire-cage encase, to help articulate the cannon, and bear its weight better as she swings it up to aim for the 5th Lord.
Burner has done the exact same thing, aiming not for you, but directly at Red.
Your heart jumps when they both begin to charge, thrumming with a bassy moan so deep it makes you spit bile and snot as it's shaken loose from your skull.

Oh, grandest Petal. Arbiter of Ruin. Invoker of the Mouse's hideous dementia, absentee of all care or caution; he'd tear the world in two, and would only remark it with a stupefied "Oops."
But not Red. Not Burner. They hold the arm-cannons as they drink in light and air, nuclear engines roaring as they spin arrays of nuclear diamonds into the Hell-patterns demanded of an atom's sacrificial death.
Shining with red unlight... warming the airs as the SUN seems to become an accusatory eye staring down at the summon of Armageddon, the supplication of Apocalypse.
You know it's going to be that bad, because Red is smiling and winking behind her mask at you. She says, part of the secret spell is to do a cheat; Burner is going to do it, and so is she.
Red and Burner don't stop when the Moloch Busters achieve full charge. Instead, each does something strange, a motion and a whisper, a cheat and a code.

The Moloch Busters begin to overcharge.
They're not going to fire off one blast of mass destruction at a time-
Red & Burner are both going to use all three charges in a single almighty final fire.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Oh god this hurts and I don't even know what is going on.

This is going to be ROUGH.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Can we... I don't know, is there anything we can flex or tense that'll help? Going to be ROUGH is an understatement.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... so does this count as one massive nuclear blast, or 6 concurrent nuclear blasts?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Randalor posted:

... so does this count as one massive nuclear blast, or 6 concurrent nuclear blasts?

Yes.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

:ohdear:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ATOMICS

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, didn't we cause a second glitched Moloch Buster and case to spawn in the world? Or is that the one Burnee currently has (while Red has the original one we found)?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Randalor posted:

Wait, didn't we cause a second glitched Moloch Buster and case to spawn in the world? Or is that the one Burnee currently has (while Red has the original one we found)?

The Moloch Buster you have was always a single one- the event flags for the quest weren't resolved properly at first, so when it was re-done, technically you handed in a phantom Moloch Buster that never existed, since you 'already' had it. That glitch is what allowed you to keep it despite it needing to be turned in. The one Burner has is from the Holy End.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Wild. A deluge of information. Look at that- every second spent mulling it over makes it worse. The dryads are dead, but they're not corpses, not % on the ground; just dimmed. Moved by NPCs who simply appear out of the elevator, speaking in turns gibberish and legible text. It keeps freezing up, lagging, minutes passing until attempting Alt-F8 seems to force it to skip ahead to where it's working again. Can't control the character- they're gone beyond gone. The mushrooms weren't lying. They really did spore x9999, over and over and over and over. Biology page reads out the ridiculous of there being more than an entire pound worth of psychoactive chemicals in their system, which would be fatal a hundred times over. Instead it maintains, further excess seeming to vanish with a constant message of-]

[-over and over, followed by overflows of familiar and unfamiliar names all reading off the status change of "...is tripping with magic!" They're all debilitated, save for the Burners and the three ogres. Counselor Burner has the message 'communing with Burner', while they, without being told or controlled, help guide the character to a safe spot. Then comes the heartstop of raw worrying wonder.]

[That pops up- and then they both begin to charge the Moloch Busters. Then, they begin to overcharge them, capacitating at three full charges in a single shot. The screen floods with wave effects of colored tiles unlike anything ever seen, as the dual superweapons are readied for fire. Of course, this would be a most spectacular and Blue Book worthy of Ends... but checking the combat status of the two Burners reveals something strange. Neither of them are hostile. Both are listed as being allies. Each is shown with the status of praying and concentrating. But the real tell is their combat log-]

[They're aiming the Moloch Busters right at their each-held Eyes of the Sun.]

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:ohdear:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Am I missing something or this post completely empty? I didn't know that was possible.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... are they going to nuke the sun?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
The Eye of the Sun's the reflective shield, right?

Does anyone still have the blurb for its special effect? The exact wording might be relevant here.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

The quoted post itself also shows the wardrobe change that Burner gets for wielding a flower of ruin.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 1, 2024

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
So we're focusing a stupid amount of damage through an amplifier, and aiming it at...?

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
This is so epic and wild.

I wonder if, from an in-universe meta perspective, the different Ends are different playthroughs being done on the same server that are interacting with each other in an obscure but possibly intended way? But I'm not good at theorycrafting, I just like letting the events of this story wash over me and riding the tide. Thank you so much for such a unique and compelling experience!

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Personally the feeling I get is that the game, '-ZEN-', somehow lies at/was made using some kind of actual multiversal bullshit, since IIRC we've previoulsy seen that the Heaven End bluebook seems to be operating in a different timeline from the Hell End bluebook.

Mechtroid
Feb 14, 2014
Yeah, I've been wondering if we're ever going to find out why -ZEN- exists, if there is a reason. Were these worlds (and the game) created or discovered? Why only one run? Why is there a community around it so obsessed with beating it? A lot of meta questions that I never expect to be answered, but can't help but wonder about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Assuming that this is an actual game, with nothing supernatural about it, it could also be that Heaven End was the first game released. From what we've seen, it does seem less buggy than Hell End, and it's possible that Hell End was a janky, jerryrigged shell built on Heaven End's code. It could be that the game makes two Instances of the world when you start Hell End, with Heaven End's instance of the game (theoretically) cut off from the player's input, outside of "global" decisions like when to start the long walk to a Megalith. Two Instances that were never meant to intersect, but with Hell End being so buggy, sometimes it ends up pulling encounters meant for Heaven End's township into Hell End runs, and the programmers overlooked starting a Long Walk creating a new instance for the games for that specific Lords megalith, which both games are tied to.

Aaaaaaaaand then I remember that the two Burners interacted with each other as though it was programmed in as a scenario and that puts an end to that theory.