Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Chaosbrain posted:

or the Protoss/Terran have sensors that happen to be able to project/accept telepathic waves that Kerrigan can pick up and and speak through.

The implications of this have just turned the starcraft universe into simultaneously an existential horror setting and a 00's roadtrip sex comedy

All those stray thoughts from psychic teenagers showing up on grandma's phone

bladededge fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

everyone is constantly sending and receiving thoughtwaves at all times; the only way to block it is by wearing tinfoil

glocknar
May 17, 2017
So THAT'S why battlecruisers can detect psionics! They need it for the space phones and space wifi!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

glocknar posted:

space wifi!

scifi

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Put me down for "two cans with a string between them" but with like BIO ESSENCE string

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do they not have phones?

Quicksilver6 posted:

Put me down for "two cans with a string between them" but with like BIO ESSENCE string
Intestines?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I sense a distubance in the Essence, as if millions of voices cried out and exploded against an enemy base

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Maybe Kerrigan's indignation at the Protoss colonists killing Zerglings wasn't because she valued Zerg lives but because she wants to be the only one who gets to kill them. That's the only way I can justify the statement juxtaposed with the creation of Banelings.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Phone. Good curve for easy grasping with appendage. Fruit theme appropriate. Yellow color pleasing. Superior communications device.

aniviron posted:

Maybe Kerrigan's indignation at the Protoss colonists killing Zerglings wasn't because she valued Zerg lives but because she wants to be the only one who gets to kill them. That's the only way I can justify the statement juxtaposed with the creation of Banelings.
That makes an uncomfortable amount of sense.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

glocknar posted:

So THAT'S why battlecruisers can detect psionics! They need it for the space phones and space wifi!

Basically an Astropaths? "Starcraft is 40k in disguise" theory confirmed! [/s]

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

aniviron posted:

I mean, if we wanna get full Hivemind Ethics, you can definitely argue that Zerglings are drones with no independent thought and therefore entirely expendable in managed numbers, such as ones dedicated to go Baneling, while still objecting to their wholesale slaughter or valuing individual Zerglings like One Tusk. The whole "Purity of Essence" deal was originally intended to refer to the Zerg acting as a singular body in unison.

Our bodies continously lose and replace cells and we actively discard hair and nails, but that doesn't mean we appreciate if someone were to shave off a clump of hair or give us a nasty burn, even knowing that it'll grow back. Plus they killed a Brood Queen, who by the text of the game are actual individuals with, going by Zagara's introduction, some degree of independence.

I mean I'm pretty sure no one in the writing room was actually trying to approach the value of Zerg lives from an alien hivemind perspective, and their lives only matter when that would give Kerrigan some cheap pathos, but banelings make a lot more sense than, say, the Terrans justifying marines being cannon fodder by making them convicted criminals and other undesirables.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Maybe it's the same thing, maybe the Banelings are guilty of zerg crimes like posting bad memes to the hivemind chat or bringing the essence of crypto entrepreneurs to the spawning pool.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Banelings are all morphed from Zerglings who think the Swarmling strain would have been better (it's ironic, you see, because swarmlings are good if you're going for banelings)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

She really loves making banelings. The protoss robbed her of the pleasure by killing it at the zergling stage and had to die for their crime.

Alternative post: she believes the baneling begins the moment the zergling is morphed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Poil posted:

Intestines?

bringing a whole new meaning to shitposting

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Having passed through the Heart of the Swarm, the thread now enters the Spleen of the Swarm.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm only reading this LP to try to figure out which type of zergling is better to use if you want to make banelings

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nobody knows

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Poil posted:

Phone. Good curve for easy grasping with appendage. Fruit theme appropriate. Yellow color pleasing. Superior communications device.

There's a bit at the end of a novelization of the first game's Terran campaign where Kerrigan is reviewing the events as a bunch of recordings, seen through a salvaged Terran comm unit that has had some weird patchwork through a human body to connect it to the living Zerg "building" she's in to power it. Exactly how that works is still very ??? but it'd be cool to see a little more of that kind of thing - purpose engineered biological connections to allow the Zerg to steal and use technology their own biological nonsense isn't good at replicating.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm only reading this LP to try to figure out which type of zergling is better to use if you want to make banelings

war pigs

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Communist Thoughts posted:

Hwurmp posted:

nobody knows

Download the mod that lets you morph ultras into banelings :heysexy:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

bladededge posted:

Do you get, like, an ultra sized bane that way?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Omobono posted:

No, the ultralisk rushes to the enemy base before throwing off its overcoat and hat and a swarm of banelings rush out from the discarded disguise.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bladededge posted:

there should be baneling versions of every unit

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Omobono posted:

Baneling hamster ball with an ultralisk inside.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Baneling Host

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

Baneling Host

That's a Reaver.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Zomborgon posted:

Baneling Host

One of the co-op commanders gets exactly that. Another one gets something very similar.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Zomborgon posted:

Baneling Host

Which host evolution is best for this?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rap Host, ideally the Lil Jon or DJ Khaled strain

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

spinning dog missile go! but it's nuclear launch detected

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Runa posted:

spinning dog missile go!

high on the list of lines that will live in my brain forever

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Char 2: Fire in the Sky

Video: Fire in the Sky

Broodmothers, everyone.

Fire in the Sky is another mission on a soft timer, but this time the 'timer' has a bit of play.

The Gorgon is on a direct path to my base, and it'll fire upon anything that's inside the giant marker. If it reaches me, it'll keep shooting until everything is dead.

I could take my starting Creep Tumor and activate the first Scourge Next to blast it out of the sky before the first minute has passed, but that'll make the next one spawn in and force me to race to the next Nest.

Instead, I'm going to wait till the Gorgon is right on top of me before destroying it, giving me a bunch of extra time to build up and push out.

Also the bonus is just grabbing more zerg bits.

It's important to push down this side path first.

Essence count: 63

Firstly, some free Banelings after those Firebats die and a few caches.

Okay I don't know if the AI broke or what, but a number of enemies here just... don't attack. On higher difficulties the AI is smart enough to micro a unit away if a Baneling targets them, but it just looks silly when there's only one of them.

There's an Orbital Command here that doesn't really do anything.

And down here is an outpost that pumps out units to attack my base with. Siege Tanks and Bunkers defending it would make clearing it out an absolute nightmare if we did Char first and all I had were Zerglings and Banelings, but now I can crack it like an egg and not have to deal with sneaky attacks happening behind my army.

Kerrigan is dealing with this base solo, and at no point is she at risk of dying.

Because they have no detection, so I can just hide and heal up!

Shut up, Izsha.

Okay, that's close enough.

I bet Warfield is really regrets helping Valerian at this point.

We have more. Get a creep tumor by the next one. Move!

So what's Warfield, the guy constantly paraded as this cunning tactical mastermind back in Wings, going to do now?

Send another Gorgon down the exact same path. He is going to keep doing this until he loses his entire fleet of super Battlecruisers.

That outpost is finally finished.

So I can start pushing forward.

I tried using Mutas here, but one base just doesn't give enough gas to really hit that critical mass Mutas love.

Oh well, at least Zerglings always work.

Meanwhile, I have a bunch of Tumors trailing behind my army. Multiple Tumors in one area increase the speed of creep spread, and also makes it easy to have one split off and stay just outside of a Nest's activation range for later.

Free Swarm Queen here.

The further up the map you go, the less time it takes for a Gorgon to get somewhere risky.

Every Nest after the first does its thing without playing a cutscene.

Two didn't work, but maybe a third will?

More stuff up here.

All that's up here is another Orbital Command. All these do is give you an achievement if you destroy three of them.

I honestly feel sorry for Warfield. Guy put his life on the line to help save Kerrigan, only for her to show up like a month later with a new coat of paint and start butchering all his men.

Another Nest.

In hindsight I probably should have grabbed Malignant Creep here just to speed this part up by a bunch.

Call in another Gorgon.

The second bonus.

Another Nest is up here.

I remember to actually grab the bonus.

Open another Nest.

Never, Kerrigan!

Have you heard the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

That'd be a bit more threatening if he wasn't almost completely out of troops here.

And here's the last bonus.

But first, Warfield's base.

It also has resources and you could take it as an expansion, but by the time you make it here you've cleared out the entire map and there's no point.

Maybe you should, I dunno... try literally anything else? Maybe take some of those Firebats on burn duty and have them try to torch a Scourge Nest?

And that's all the levels from this.

A handful of units guarding the last Nest is all Warfield has left.

The Gorgon isn't a Detector, so you can burrow units to keep them safe.

Now I pop one Nest.

Then instantly set off the other.

They'll go off one at a time.

Oh I think you are. This is your last Gorgon, isn't it?

Too late.

As soon as the next Gorgon is vulnerable the queued up Scourge Nest fires.

Good loving job, Warfield.

Fire In The Sky - Complete the "Fire In The Sky" mission in the Heart of the Swarm campaign.

Red Alert - Don't let 5 units die to the Gorgon Battlecruiser in the “Fire In The Sky” mission.

Conquer & Command - Destroy 3 Orbital Command structures in the “Fire In The Sky” mission on Normal Difficulty.

Going, Going, Gorgon! - Destroy 4 Gorgon Battlecruisers within 120 seconds in “Fire In The Sky” mission on Hard Difficulty.

Full Coverage - Cover 40% of the map in the "Fire in the Sky" mission with Creep on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 2, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

remind me again why they couldn't use nydus worms

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

remind me again why they couldn't use nydus worms

In this LP? Because we did the Tychus mission in WoL that flooded the worm tunnels with lava.

In HotS in general? I dunno Blizzard probably forgot they existed as they were too busy writing whatever this is.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Master tactician at work here

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Char 2: Fire in the Sky
It's important to push down this side path first.

Firstly, some free Banelings after those Firebats die and a few caches.
You missed an essence here.

Also, seven times the exact same thing? They really phoned this mission in, didn’t they?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

DTurtle posted:

Also, seven times the exact same thing? They really phoned this mission in, didn’t they?

Is it more or less phoned in than "there are 3 or 4 special buildings that you have to destroy for some reason, each of them defended by an enemy base"? Personally it seems to me like a breath of fresh air!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DTurtle posted:

Fixed, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

gohuskies posted:

Is it more or less phoned in than "there are 3 or 4 special buildings that you have to destroy for some reason, each of them defended by an enemy base"? Personally it seems to me like a breath of fresh air!
If I see the map correctly, it’s just our base connected to the enemy base with a winding path. There are no expansions, just a few enemy outposts scattered along the path. There is no reactivity, no change in tactics or enemy composition. Finally, the "bonus" objective is just three carcasses randomly placed along the path.

This map could be built in an hour or two.