Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PriorMarcus posted:

For me I think the order would be 2, 4, 1, 3 and 5.

This is incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

This is incorrect.

we fight on that lie

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
iirc the Xerox polygraph trick was used in Homicide: Life On The Street and in turn was based on a real life trick used by I think the Detroit PD. The McDonalds drive-by is just a variant on the psychological tricks detectives use to elicit confessions

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

Yep. Season 2 is always at the bottom of every first time viewer's list

worst season on my first watch, tied for best on the second watch, on the third I quit even trying to rank them

surf rock posted:

- Gale Boetticher is here! So interesting that these shows just barely overlapped.

Law and Order on the other hand....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved season 2 from the first time I saw it, I figured it would take one of the greatest seasons of television in history to ever top it, then season 4 came along and did just that. I knew season 4 would never be beaten, no season of television could ever be better. David Lynch cheated by getting Showtime to play his movie The Return in 18 parts to finally top that though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really hard to rank the seasons, to be honest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Simon and Burns made the wise decision to make every season of their television show excellent. I don't know why more shows don't go with the same strategy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

iirc the Xerox polygraph trick was used in Homicide: Life On The Street and in turn was based on a real life trick used by I think the Detroit PD. The McDonalds drive-by is just a variant on the psychological tricks detectives use to elicit confessions

They do something similar in LA Confidential.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've caught a few episodes of Homicide and man it's pretty great. I actually watched the first two seasons and quit in the middle of Season 3 when they spoiled Crosetti's death due to a weird episode order... And never went back to it. Time to rectify that error.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

- With the press stuff, I know it's accurate for when it's set, but it feels more like a time capsule than anything resonant now. They thought they were struggling with the first few rounds of buyouts/layoffs and unfilled positions, but the endless waves of devastation that came after makes this feel like a fantasyland. It just stands out to me because so much of the show still feels so contemporary, and this is the last season so you'd expect it to feel the CLOSEST to the present day. The obliteration of the media outside of the NYT has just been staggering.

It's loving wild that the Sun has a Johannesburg bureau to shutter.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

It's loving wild that the Sun has a Johannesburg bureau to shutter.

reporting on Roland, the Headless Thompson Gunner. duh

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Season 5, episodes 5 and 6:

- "Like, how do you get from here to the rest of the world?" - man, I just want to send Dukie on that adventure to Antarctica in A Place Further Than the Universe. Listen to Dennis and Michael, Dukie.
- Forgot to mention it last time, but I like Alma. The scene of her going all the way to the printer to look for her first big story was nice.
- Clay Davis stuck out like a sore thumb the first season he started getting meaningful screen time, but he's been a better fit lately. Shout-out both to the insane way he says "poo poo" and Norman's imitation of it.
- Also, shout-out to Norman's own very strange voice.
- Would be nice to believe that Herc went after Marlo out of the goodness of his heart, but we know better.
- Tough to see Randy again, just completely and justifiably embittered.
- Really appreciating the degree to which Bunk is not down with McNulty's bullshit.
- Run, Beadie, run!
- Hopefully the show ends with McNulty dead or in prison with Avon.
- "Did you make an appointment? Sorry, I'm booked up all afternoon."
- Dunno about the actor for Nathan Levi Boston.
- It's absurd how badly turning down the money hosed the city.
- I still think Scott is a smarmy little poo poo, but his story would make a lot more sense if he had this experience trying to track down react quotes from the homeless first and then started making poo poo up rather than the reverse. We already know he'll just make quotes up and either manufacture or alter stories, why would he spend all day around food kitchens and homeless encampments now?
- I'm betting the ex-Marine gets revealed as a fake.
- This serial killer gaslight-gatekeep-girlboss poo poo is so goofy. Not a fan of this plotline at all.
- I'm glad they brought back Walon for the Bubbles story at the end of last season.
- Marlo's completely nonplussed reaction to the height of Omar's fall from the window almost made the past 20 episodes of ambien acting worth it. "Some Spider-Man poo poo there."
- Death of the co-op was also a good scene.
- Just noting for myself who's in that little montage of photos that the intro flashes through: Wallace, Dee, Avon, Frank Sobotka, Bodie, Wee-Bey. Interesting they left out Stringer!
- Was that Nick listening at the fringe of Carcetti's speech at the harbor development ribbon-cutting? I thought he went into witness protection at the end of season two.
- The serial killer press conference was very interesting. First great acting moment from Carcetti this season, and we see Daniels do well in the line of fire from the media too. Big test!
- The et al reveal = classic.
- "You're a supervisor's nightmare." holy poo poo gently caress you McNulty
- I'm such a dope. When Jimmy saw the homeless guy stumbling around the street, I thought he was starting to realize how hosed up what he'd started was. Nope! He's just kind of generically sad about the depressing life of the homeless guy, but not enough so to keep him from driving out of his own loving city.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

surf rock posted:

- Was that Nick listening at the fringe of Carcetti's speech at the harbor development ribbon-cutting? I thought he went into witness protection at the end of season two.

Witness protection probably just means moving to a different neighborhood.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

surf rock posted:

Yep! He also ditches witness protection immediately after entering it, I think, to "go to work".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nick stomped back down to the docks at the end of season 2 instead of staying in the motel waiting to be moved. I always presumed that he decided to make some big moral stand to "honor" Uncle Frank instead of "running away", and the end result we see is that he's day drunk, not working, bitter and resentful, seeing one more aspect of the Baltimore and docks he grew up on myths about being gentrified/taken away from him, and I'm guessing probably estranged from his wife and kid.

Meanwhile the Greek/Vondas are back where they were like nothing ever happened, and Nick isn't still alive because he stood up tall and they were too scared to face him on his own ground, but because once the immediate threat he briefly posed was gone he was utterly, utterly insignificant to them.

It's... very depressing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 3, 2024

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That's the thing I find so interesting about the Greek's operation. It really is just about the business in such a cold, pragmatic way. No revenge, not killing him to make a point. There's just no material benefit to going after him so he's just written off and they move on.

My name is my name vs My name is not my name, etc

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

surf rock posted:

- I'm glad they brought back Walon for the Bubbles story at the end of last season.

Just in case you didn't catch it, that's singer-songwriter-multi-intstrumentalist Steve Earle.

It's good casting because he did a lot of drugs.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just in case you didn't catch it, that's singer-songwriter-multi-intstrumentalist Steve Earle.

It's good casting because he did a lot of drugs.

He also did the season 5 version of the theme song!

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I agree that season 5 is the weakest, but it is still a great season of a great show.

The best parts of it are Bubs' storyline, anything with The Bunk, and Omar's death + McNulty's wake

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mzuri posted:

The best parts of it are Bubs' storyline, anything with The Bunk, and Omar's death

That spoilered part there was one of the most unexpected wtf things I've ever seen

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Season 5, episodes 7 and 8:

- Clay Davis offering to get his indictment upped to federal for twenty grand is great.
- It was an extremely good idea for them to finally let the other shoe drop with Davis so that he could feature more prominently in the show. So many of the charismatic characters have been killed off or moved to the sidelines by this point that we desperately needed stuff like his press conferences and testimonies to keep the entertainment factor afloat.
- Speaking of, down goes Omar. Once he came back from the tropics, I knew I wouldn't be very happy with any of the outcomes. Omar killing Marlo would've been a rerun of season 3, while Marlo killing Omar would've annoyed the absolute poo poo out of me. So, I was hoping for some kind of tradeoff, like Omar-killing-Chris-but-Snoop-killing-Omar. I think that a kid killing Omar is better, though. He was injured and taking major risks, and it makes sense that someone would finally go after that bounty and/or reputation.
- Omar might've been a cartoon character, but of course I loved him.
- Poor Bunk is actively transforming into Frank Grimes.
- "What the gently caress is a huh-vac?" let me tell you, Michael, it's expensive as gently caress
- dang that Dukie can dance!
- I think the only bit about the serial killer thing that I'm enjoying is McNulty getting a taste of the supervisor life. Also the Quantico profile.
- "I DON'T KNOW HOW THE gently caress DID YOU OF ALL PEOPLE DO THIS poo poo, HUH?" - old reliable IKEA humor
- Probably a good thing that we haven't seen Namond or Bunny. Maybe safe to assume that things are going OK there.
- Poot got out of the game, too. Couldn't have happened to somebody I cared about less.
- So, this season's funny moment of "wow, look at X technology! what'll they think of next???" was GPS. Love it.
- What the gently caress was that Arthur Tolan scene? Was that a real guy that the showrunners just hated and decided to spend two minutes making fun of? Bizarre.
- "I'm tired of these fuckin' Republicans."
- Get his rear end, Beadie!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hey : Poot’s the loving man.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
who's got that post about poot being the hardest motherfucker in the game?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

surf rock posted:

Season 5, episodes 7 and 8:

- Omar might've been a cartoon character, but of course I loved him.

He's based off a real dude and, according to the writers, they had to tone him DOWN for the show to add more believability to the character. The spiderman jump in particular was supposedly from an even higher up balcony.

Agree that the McNulty FBI profile is amazing. Probably the funniest loving scene in the whole seires

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think my favorite part of that scene is when the head profiler comes in bragging about the unabomber, Kima and McNulty have the exchange of “you were looking for him for a while, weren’t you?” “Yeah, and then his brother turned him in?”

Of all of season 5’s weak points, I think the part that has aged the strangest is the idea that the police are underfunded (full stop but there’s more) because the government prioritized public schools. I guess the wrinkle that carcetti only does it to avoid having to ask the governor for help and wreck his career is more real, but it’s still a bit lol

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EDIT: I can't phrase this in a way that doesn't read stupid, so it must in fact be stupid, nvm

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

BiggerBoat posted:

He's based off a real dude and, according to the writers, they had to tone him DOWN for the show to add more believability to the character. The spiderman jump in particular was supposedly from an even higher up balcony.

Agree that the McNulty FBI profile is amazing. Probably the funniest loving scene in the whole seires

Based off Donnie Andrews, the guy that raids the apartment with Omar and gets capped before Omar jumps out the window.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always want to stress that Kenard doesn't manage to sneak up on Omar or anything - Omar hears somebody enter the store, turns and looks to make sure there is no threat, sees a little kid and makes the fatal mistake of thinking a kid - even a kid he just saw trying to set a cat on fire - isn't a threat and returns to his shopping and then BOOM he's loving dead.

On a far lighter note, it never fails to make me laugh and almost makes the entire serial killer storyline worthwhile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0ylNZhOJI

The little eyebrow raise on "possibly a high functioning alcoholic" ahaha

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

surf rock posted:

- Speaking of, down goes Omar. Once he came back from the tropics, I knew I wouldn't be very happy with any of the outcomes. Omar killing Marlo would've been a rerun of season 3, while Marlo killing Omar would've annoyed the absolute poo poo out of me. So, I was hoping for some kind of tradeoff, like Omar-killing-Chris-but-Snoop-killing-Omar. I think that a kid killing Omar is better, though. He was injured and taking major risks, and it makes sense that someone would finally go after that bounty and/or reputation.
Been waiting to post this, but it's one of the most fun little "all the pieces matter" moments.

The first time see Kenard (the kid who shoots Omar) is after the gun battle where one of the women accomplices gets shot in the head. The detectives are investigating, and Bunk sees a group of kids playing Dealers and Robbers and sort of re-enacting the gunfight. Kenard is playing Omar. Bunk even brings it up to Omar, how kids are looking at him as some kind of hero and how he should feel ashamed of himself.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

AtraMorS posted:

Been waiting to post this, but it's one of the most fun little "all the pieces matter" moments.

The first time see Kenard (the kid who shoots Omar) is after the gun battle where one of the women accomplices gets shot in the head. The detectives are investigating, and Bunk sees a group of kids playing Dealers and Robbers and sort of re-enacting the gunfight. Kenard is playing Omar. Bunk even brings it up to Omar, how kids are looking at him as some kind of hero and how he should feel ashamed of himself.

Omar is ashamed@that. Bunk rules

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I always want to stress that Kenard doesn't manage to sneak up on Omar or anything - Omar hears somebody enter the store, turns and looks to make sure there is no threat, sees a little kid and makes the fatal mistake of thinking a kid - even a kid he just saw trying to set a cat on fire - isn't a threat and returns to his shopping and then BOOM he's loving dead.

What’s that line between Avon and D’Angelo when they’re contemplating mortality near the dying guy all the way back early in season 1? Something like “all you have to be is a little slow, once, a little late, once”

Well there you go I guess

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Omar is also largely protected by his reputation. The legend of Omar looms so large that even when he's clearly crippled and hobbling, most would rather run than face him. Kenard sees through it though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Poot is kind of a weird character. The scene of him in foot locker makes it seem like nothing that happened or he did affected him at all. It was just part of growing up and completely normal to him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ilmucche posted:

Poot is kind of a weird character. The scene of him in foot locker makes it seem like nothing that happened or he did affected him at all. It was just part of growing up and completely normal to him.

Isn't that the point of him though? Most of the corner boys go through absolutely horrible poo poo and then get a job at footlocker and hope they don't catch a stray on the way home.

AtraMorS posted:

Kenard is great. He recurs so many times in the show as such a minor character, and it's only a rewatch that you realize there's a kind of gravitational pull around him being the one to kill Omar. It's incredibly well done and it wouldn't surprise me if they always had it in the back of their minds for how those two characters would end their journey.

Great story telling.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't that the point of him though? Most of the corner boys go through absolutely horrible poo poo and then get a job at footlocker and hope they don't catch a stray on the way home.

Yeah it is

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Poot is a shoe salesman. That got a young woman pregnant. Now he's Married...

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Cranappleberry posted:

I'd watch this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cranappleberry posted:

Worst job: Lady Footlocker salesman

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cranappleberry posted:

Always starting to recount his glory days as a teenager and then stopping himself because he realizes the story he's about to tell will traumatize his children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1765057792899957213?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA