Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

People's reactions to Wheel of Fortune is probably why other video games lie to you about the odds.

I used Wheel of Fortune 5 times and got nothing. I think this means the game's RNG is busted. I can't believe they're charging $15 for this buggy piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

Glass cards only hit if you want to keep them, if you're using them as deck thinning they will never hit.
if its a card you want out of the deck you probably aren't set up to use it very often, if it's a card you want to keep you probably use it all the time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

if its a card you want out of the deck you probably aren't set up to use it very often, if it's a card you want to keep you probably use it all the time

That's why I only make glass cards with 7s

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Uuuuugh I'm trying to get the "have $400" joker and am just not getting the starts, what's the best deck to use, checkered for the easy flushes, blue for the +1 hand that translates to +1 dollar early on, or the yellow for just the money?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The diamond suit looks like the moneymaker so i probably wouldnt picm the checkered deck

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

Uuuuugh I'm trying to get the "have $400" joker and am just not getting the starts, what's the best deck to use, checkered for the easy flushes, blue for the +1 hand that translates to +1 dollar early on, or the yellow for just the money?

Use anaglyph deck, hoard double tags and then take a skip on the double your money tag to shotgun all of them for $40 a pop (assuming you have $40 banked, which is kind of the point.)

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
Here's my ante 13 deck:

This is:
-Got The Family early.
-Got both vouchers that lower ante. (These are OP by the way always get them.)
-Snagged a polychrome bonus edition 4 of hearts.
-Got a red seal on it.
-Negative Golden Joker was all I needed for cash.
-Got tarot generation and that gave me a lot of Death cards, Hanged Man, and Wheel of Fortune.
-Also got Cryptid a couple times.
-Wheel of Fortune procced like 5 times and gave me polychrome 3 of those times.
-Eventually got Hack and Walkie-Talkie.

It's still only like 1 billion per hand because I didn't get the wombo combo to level Flush Five to yes so it dies here but this was a good build.

Honorable mentions was an Erosion early on getting polychrome but it was kicked out without ever proccing. I love that card but Hanged Man cards never showed up until later.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

People's reactions to Wheel of Fortune is probably why other video games lie to you about the odds.

I played a ton of FFT so i'm conditioned to believe that 90% only works 10% of the time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Small Brain: The Wheel is rigged
Big Brain: Flush draws are rigged because it's a flaw in the gameplay and they had to intentionally decrease a chance of pulling your suit because it's too easy

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I got over The Wall to ante 12 using 2 pair, only to be annihilated by the small blind.

I burned a bunch of tarot cards with Campfire and copied it with the Blueprints, but those weren't going to overcome my middling strategy.

I see why it's important to get rolling in money and reroll the hell out of the shop. I was making money by using +3 hand/no discards and the extra hands translate to more money when kept. Also had the bonus of frustrating the boss blind that removes discards.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 2, 2024

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

well this is a start

IMMEDIATE decision paralysis

edit:

:wtc:

sure okay fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 2, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
God, gently caress Violet Vessel. It's just so oppressive compared to every other end boss. It's not actually fun. It's just a waste of my loving 20 minutes.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Feeling pretty content with myself rn. Oddly enough I've completely eaten poo poo at all the challenges so far, so that'll probably be my next focus.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

edit: ^^^ great timing! congrats!

I have one final Legendary Joker to discover.

Each card in an Arcana or Spectral pack has a 1/300 * 1/5 = 1/1500 chance of being the one. Easy, right? :negative:

Double edit: Does anyone know if the Soul card can appear in shops, replacing another tarot or spectral card? Or is it specifically only from packs? I can't remember seeing any in the shop.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 2, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Man this is saddening news. This happened to another indie game I played a while back. There really is nothing in this game that resembles gambling encouragement and if anything it's been a wonderful piece of calm in a very turbulent time. A round of Balatro has brought me down from a panic attack. I dunno. I feel like this is obvious bullying, very obvious, to uphold a double standard. Hopefully the game goes back up soon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

....cuz I finally beat Gold Deck against the joker shuffler. I had Madness chowing down on everything so it didn't matter and it just begs to be bragged about!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
God. Six consecutive shops in a row where I had no options to change out one of my jokers.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Each card in an Arcana or Spectral pack has a 1/300 * 1/5 = 1/1500 chance of being the one. Easy, right? :negative:

Double edit: Does anyone know if the Soul card can appear in shops, replacing another tarot or spectral card? Or is it specifically only from packs? I can't remember seeing any in the shop.

Congratulations! I feel like I'm not celebrating people's individual accomplishments enough so this is a good excuse to start doing so.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Likewise nice! I don't think I've seen Soul anywhere like that naturally. Maybe if you're using Spectral?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Relyssa posted:

the last challenge is no jokers if you really hate yourself

how is that even possible?
I guess just the first 8 antes miiiiight be doable, but anything beyond that surely forget it

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Haven't beaten it yet (although I did get Blast Off done this morning), but my guess is you're trying to make a deck that's all red seal steel polychrome. The upside being that since you don't have to care about jokers, you can just use whatever works hand-wise instead of it being all-kings like an eternal deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jossar posted:

Haven't beaten it yet (although I did get Blast Off done this morning), but my guess is you're trying to make a deck that's all red seal steel polychrome. The upside being that since you don't have to care about jokers, you can just use whatever works hand-wise instead of it being all-kings like an eternal deck.
But how do you do that without vagabond or other tarot generating jokers?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This game loving rules

I beat it twice so far to around ante 10/11

The trick has been multiplier stacking from, so far, tarot spam, 8 ball spam, or two pair/full houses.

Can't wait to see some poo poo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I think this is the biggest I've gotten my wee joker's so far. I just need more steels for better multiplier and some actual enhancements on the 2's

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
:staredog:

Well I guess when it's [b]that[/b many chips it's probably as good as multiplier.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harold Fjord posted:

:staredog:

Well I guess when it's [b]that[/b many chips it's probably as good as multiplier.

Surprisingly, not as much as you think. You want the two numbers to be relatively close for maximized gains.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Extremely stupid question. How the hell do you build a deck that works that isn’t a Flush deck?

The only way I’ve been able to make deep runs is getting lucky with the Spectral Card that converts a bunch of cards to one suit or other tools that thin the deck. Some well placed Red tokens and multi cards, and flushes score well.

But I can’t see how people are managing to win decks designed around like, two pair. What am I missing?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Honestly, for most decks it's just about getting lucky with a Joker early on (usually a base Mult Joker, or it has Holographic/Polychrome, or some weird edge case) and then making the deck revolve around the hand required by said Joker, such that by Ante 8, you're dumping out tens of thousands of chips from a Two Pair every hand.

In what I tend to find is much rarer, you can have the opposite occur too: where the game just hands you a Level 8 Two Pair via Planet Cards/Tags and then you have to figure out how to make it work. But generally it feels easier to get the Planets to fix an otherwise perfect Joker situation rather than vice-versa.

Supposedly if you're really good at the game you can look with an eye towards manipulating the deck toward your desired outcome from the very start... but if you're doing that, there's no real reason to be constantly playing Three of a Kinds or w/e.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 2, 2024

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Get spectral and turn a quarter of your deck into 6s

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
2 pair is a really strong deck to play if you can buff it high enough. get the joker that lets all 5 cards score and you can cycle your deck easily, drop face cards and use ride the bus, etc. I've won with a deck built around most hands other than high cars at this point, but it's probably doable too

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Y'know what, let's do a bit more of a deep dive on this.

I just won on Green Stakes, with the Black Deck, using a Two Pair deck. So I want to show that there is a method to the madness.

In Ante 1, I saw a Holographic tag, so after determining that I'd have enough money to buy whatever it likely was, I went for it. This gave me the Shoot the Moon, which combined with its own inherent +Mult properties let me have a little bit of leeway to do whatever I wanted for the next Ante or so. At this point I thought that I was going to head for an all-Queens deck.

A couple of Blinds later, the +Foil Square Joker pops up. At this point I observe that I haven't done too much deck modification already: a couple modifications via Strength Tarot to try and push some of my cards closer to being Queens, but that's it. So I decide that I might as well go for it. The goal is to now convert this into a Two Pair deck. As an interim goal, where I couldn't get Uranus cards to boost Two Pair level, I'd just try and grab Plutos wherever possible to boost High Cards while I worked on the most important thing: boosting up the Square Joker.

Most of the other Jokers, as well as the off-screen Tarots from that point were just randomly added in to try and leverage what already existed. The original version of the Pair Joker/Swashbuckler and Abstract were all opportunity grabs. I wasn't doing too many discards, so Ramen was a very good find as it would pretty much stay near x2 Mult for the entirety of the game.

The last chip Joker, as well as Ramen getting Polychrome, and the Pair Joker getting negative were all very lucky breaks that I spent cash trying to pursue in the last few Antes. Unfortunately, in Balatro it is still very often the case that it's better to be lucky than good. But this only worked at all because the core of the build was solid, otherwise I would have died somewhere in Ante 4-5 anyway. Additionally, I would argue that given my final score, you could probably still get away with this even without said lucky breaks as long as you're playing on White Stakes... well, except maybe against the Violet Vessel, but screw that boss.

The takeaway from this is that the most important thing to do is establish control of the game sometime in the first two Antes, so that you're free to take advantage of something that shows up in the post-beginning-but-still-early game, and then hammer it all the way to the finish line.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 2, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nihilarian posted:

Get a spectral and delete all your Jokers for a rare and it's Monolith

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
@Jossar

Something for the OP:

https://github.com/jie65535/awesome-balatro

Balatro Mods if anyone is interested.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

I'm planning to fish for this with the No Faces deck I just unlocked. :hellyeah:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Kuros posted:

@Jossar

Something for the OP:

https://github.com/jie65535/awesome-balatro

Balatro Mods if anyone is interested.

Added. No real interest in modding the game myself (and I've been spoiled by mod support via Steam Workshop and Minecraft modders), but for those who want more options, here you go.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I call this the "as slowly as possible" build. Didn't even need to change the copy after getting the 3 hands most of the time because I wanted to play more hands

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Doltos posted:

Small Brain: The Wheel is rigged
Big Brain: Flush draws are rigged because it's a flaw in the gameplay and they had to intentionally decrease a chance of pulling your suit because it's too easy

Every time I get a dominant suite I draw every single other card but that until they're gone

It's very annoying but it's so consistent you can just get the discard jokers and let them carry you lol

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I still won so I shouldn't complain but man nothing like dying sooner than you should with a flush five deck because you still had 12 copies of your main card in the 16 cards remaining.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Balatro 2: Get Spectral

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Starting to unlock some of the harder to get jokers
Discard a Royal Flush (Thanks Checkered Deck!)
Play 5 Gold Cards (Thanks Midas Mask Joker!)
Win a run in 18 of fewer rounds (Thanks Throwback Joker!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Does the order of the jokers on top matter at all?