Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

silvergoose posted:

Okay I'm sorry, a preschool has no child sized toilets? That's unfathomable.

And they send children home for potty-ing when they don't have a potty. WTF?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

loquacius posted:

Ok big toilet vs small potty has become an issue

Daughter had an accident at preschool yesterday and was sent home early today, both times apparently because she refuses to use the toilet there (today she just kept saying she was tired over and over which is her code for "I don't want to do this thing" but they weren't sure what else to do about it). They won't let her use our frog seat adapter thing at preschool for some reason (liability???) and have no child-sized toilets (which seemed inexplicable to me but there it is). She keeps having tantrums in the morning because she doesn't wanna go to school and it's because she's scared of the toilets.

There's no preschool on Friday or Monday so we have until Tuesday to figure this out. She's apparently entirely unable to hold herself up on the toilet without the seat-adapter thing present. Like, she can't figure out how to hold her body properly on it so she doesn't fall in. Is that common? How could we address it? The only idea I've been able to come up with was "no more training potty, it's done its job, the frog seat can be the replacement crutch" because that way we can force her to get more familiar with the big toilet, but I have no idea how to get her using regular-sized toilet seats.
We went through this process recently with our younger kid. However they were a bit older than yours and in pre-K/kindergarten, not preschool. As others mentioned your preschool is coming across as very uncompromising here.

Our younger kid would essentially not use the toilets at school at all and wait until they got home to use their potty. The solution was lying. We hid the potty and said that it had been sent off for a deep cleaning, and in the meantime they needed to use the big toilet but OF COURSE the potty would be back as soon as it was clean. Once they'd used the big toilet a few times they got used to it and it wasn't an issue at all going forward, although they still occasionally ask when their potty is coming back. Any day now.

I'm not necessarily recommending this as our kid was old enough that they really should have been using the toilet anyway. If your kid is legitimately too young or scared it might not be productive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
just have them install the seat that has the tiny seat integrated into the lid.

fuckin wild that they expect small kids to use a full size toilet seat.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah wtf it's a childcare center get some seat inserts they don't see any more poo poo piss than the adult seat

Or floor
Or ceiling
Or wherever else poo poo piss goes in a communal bathroom

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somehow this apparently isn't an issue for any kid except ours, who is 3.5 and was legit behind on potty-training, but I don't really get how apparently every other kid is using full-sized toilet seats

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

At any rate she HAS used a full-sized toilet, just not really without the adapter. We'll try to ease her up to it over the next few days I guess

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
by chance are the toilets at this facility the kind with a giant rushing flush mechanism that you need to enable via a pull-handle that is behind the bowl?

my son had a problem with those because it scared the poo poo out of him to have his face that close to the bowl when it flushed.

I showed him how to use his foot though and now he's fine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think so, it's entirely a positioning-herself-on-the-seat issue. She's seeing an occupational therapist for sensory issues around vestibular input which probably isn't helping here

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
My daughter threw up on our toilet and now will only go in the ikea potty so you're not alone dude. She's 4.5 and still in diapers. The stress about potty training is entirely about the workers not wanting to deal with diapers. Every kid is different. It's unfortunate with the caregivers are being dumb about it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RBC posted:

My daughter threw up on our toilet and now will only go in the ikea potty so you're not alone dude. She's 4.5 and still in diapers. The stress about potty training is entirely about the workers not wanting to deal with diapers. Every kid is different. It's unfortunate with the caregivers are being dumb about it.

Imagine having to drive out to IKEA to take a poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can she just practice sitting on a toilet at home?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RBC posted:

yeah. it sucks that daycare forces the issue on potty training when some kids just aren't ready.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We had about a good week of sleep, but tonight she woke up half an hour early for her dream feed.
I am anxious that this hand a regression

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Imagine having to drive out to IKEA to take a poo poo

I had a coworker who lived right next to IKEA and would take her kids there for soft serve and hot dogs

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Oh yeah, my wife is out of town and my youngest debuted with vomiting this afternoon. My wife doesn't come home until sometime Sunday, so I just gotta keep stringent hygiene the next 48 hours so no one else gets sick.

Struensee has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Mar 1, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

We had about a good week of sleep, but tonight she woke up half an hour early for her dream feed.
I am anxious that this hand a regression

Thankfully she slept through the night, but I didn't assuming she was going to get up.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KirbyKhan posted:

And they send children home for potty-ing when they don't have a potty. WTF?!?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

She was sent home because she was obviously holding in her pee and refusing to use the toilet there and crying a lot and insisting she was tired. We're just trying to acclimate her to the big toilet as much as possible this weekend (no more potty for peeing; pooping is more complicated though) and hoping that works

Agreed it's super hosed-up that they don't have small toilets, or a toilet with a built-in child-sized seat, and that despite not having either of those things don't allow you to supply your own. I don't understand it at all but that's the world I'm in apparently

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
our daughter struggled with big toilets forever, and only recently (kindergarten) would she use the toilets at school to pee, but she still won't poop at school. kids really move at their own pace on these things and all you can do is be there and support them while they adapt

sounds like a lot of stress and it might help to remember it's just a bump in the path, best wishes

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nothing like realizing you have a flat tire right after loading up the kid in his car seat on the way to daycare. Fun morning.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Nothing like realizing you have a flat tire right after loading up the kid in his car seat on the way to daycare. Fun morning.

Semirelated to my current issues, one time my kid announced that she had pooped right as we were pulling into her 2's preschool parking lot, and requested to be brought home and changed

I was like "lol no way, not my problem now"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm ashamed to admit I did once discover my kid had done a poo while I was already late for work and decided I'd just take him to nursery anyway and pretend he did it on the way

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
one weird trick daycare workers HATE

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My toddler rammed his finger up my nose and now I've got a nosebleed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Microplastics posted:

My toddler rammed his finger up my nose and now I've got a nosebleed.

...and a taste for blood

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

well in good news, my son who has been a champion potty pisser for a long time but who has also basically resisted pooping in the potty... pooped in the potty! i was bathing my daughter when he asked me to put a diaper on him so i was like "please just try sitting on the potty man im busy" and that's exactly what he did. great job sonny boy.

so my son has only pooped in the potty three more times since this post, including just now. on the one hand, thats a lot of diaper making GBS threads he has insisted on doing. on the other hand, i don't think he pooped in the toilet that many times in all of 2023, so that's some progress at least. hopefully he continues.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My kid peed on me today. She is potty trained but has recently taken her fear of public bathrooms to the next level and decided that the third time I picked her up to ask if she had to pee was the perfect time to release her bladder.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Does anyone have any advice on video games for a kindergartener? I am not a gamer but we're budgeting for a Nintendo switch during the summer because his friends all have games. We'd like him to have that in common with his friends if possible.

We have an old japanese wii right now with smash bros. brawl that he seems to enjoy well enough. Fortunately that's one of the few games I know how to play, but if there's anything easier I can hit up eBay or something. Thank you! ✌️

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

My kindergartener loves Mario and Minecraft. He also really likes Monster Hunter World but I wouldn't choose that one

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Kirby Star Allies (really any Kirby game) is an excellent "my-first-platformer" game, has a shitload of content, is very forgiving, and can be played with 4 player co-op.

---

drat do I hate our school board. They are trying to close a few school for "budget" reasons. We aren't directly affected but our kid's friends are. Then you look at the district budget and a nebulous "consulting services" line item went from like $8,000 to $8 million over the past 4-5 years. Also the board is a bunch of cry babies with no spine who signed up to be politicians and then cancelled the "actually school closures are good" PR campaign because they didn't like how much they got yelled out during the first public meeting.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Greg Legg posted:

Does anyone have any advice on video games for a kindergartener? I am not a gamer but we're budgeting for a Nintendo switch during the summer because his friends all have games. We'd like him to have that in common with his friends if possible.

We have an old japanese wii right now with smash bros. brawl that he seems to enjoy well enough. Fortunately that's one of the few games I know how to play, but if there's anything easier I can hit up eBay or something. Thank you! ✌️

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031577&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The Parental Gaming thread might help. It's only 5 pages, but it has links to things.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Microplastics posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I did once discover my kid had done a poo while I was already late for work and decided I'd just take him to nursery anyway and pretend he did it on the way

:sickos:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stay away from Roblox

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How do I get treasure math storm on the switch?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

Stay away from Roblox

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mustached Demon posted:

Stay away from Roblox

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

Stay away from Roblox

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Switch is a treasure trove of games 4 kids. Kirby (any), Yoshi (any), Mario (any). My daughter is super into the Link's Awakening remake at present; before that she was completely obsessed with Mario Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
the 3d Kirby is real forgiving.