Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol for real, I knew people that logged 100+ hours in that first week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hours tracked is shown after ten days, so the eleventh day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just beat another deck. Nothing for over a week and then twice in one day???

We’re so back

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just beat another deck. Nothing for over a week and then twice in one day???

We’re so back

Call me when you get a win with the black deck homie.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wasn't planning on getting Splatoon 3 DLC and I'm still sort of torn. If it's not as good or developed as Hades, it'd probably bug me... and it seems to be the case. Like just how many times can you really play it?

Granted, it's DLC of a (generally) PvP shooter. I wouldn't expect much depth. But it's more customizable than the game's original single-player, and allows for fun/mildly OP combinations, especially as you get passive upgrades that boost your damage output and damage resistance. For someone who doesn't like PvP, it's the boon I've been waiting for. You have a random selection of power-ups/buffs as you rise through the tower, you generally frag lots of enemies, and the levels are typically quite short, and you can save/quit between each one.

I wouldn't go out of your way to buy the game+DLC just because it's a roguelike but if you already have the game and want more excuses/methods to mow down mobs, I'd definitely take a look at it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Call me when you get a win with the black deck homie.

As long as you get a remotely good starting Joker it's not hard too snowball with it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Morter posted:

I wouldn't go out of your way to buy the game+DLC just because it's a roguelike but if you already have the game and want more excuses/methods to mow down mobs, I'd definitely take a look at it.

It's tempting... but eh. I think I'm done with Splatoon 3, can barely get motivated for fests these days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gold deck down now as well… the curse has been broken :clint:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gold took me a few days but black somehow just took one try for me :shrug:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Morter posted:

Oh cool, mind giving recommendations on easy/accessible roguelikes for the Switch? Even if not initially easy, if I can become OP by some point, that'd be the best.

It has kind of weird controls, but I’ve been enjoying Revita. It’s a side scroller that’s not too difficult, the difficulty ratchets incrementally after each win like Hades, and you’re always unlocking something every run or two. I don’t really see many people talking about it but I’ve been going back and forth between that and Balatro lately.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Morter posted:

Oh cool, mind giving recommendations on easy/accessible roguelikes for the Switch? Even if not initially easy, if I can become OP by some point, that'd be the best.

Sure!

I like…

Dead Cells for some real good 2D action experience. Bonus if you like timed block and party gameplay.

Binding of Isaac is a classic. Top down roguelike inspired by Zelda games and poop. If you can get passed the aesthetic the game play is really, really great. It’s good for OP builds that keep escalating to destroy everything on the screen.

Enter the Gungeon is a good rear end bullet hell action game. Lots of wacky guns with mechanics and relic kind of things.

Hades is fabulous as has been mentioned already in this thread. It’s very accessible to the genre and has some of the best action gameplay in any game.

Inzombiac posted:

Tangledeep is fun and somewhat complex but you can make very silly and op builds once you know what's going on.

I was going to suggest this, so I’ll second it! Lots of classes, lots of items, monster taming.

And finally, Slay the Spire. This game is fantastic and I’m currently totally sucked into it. I crossed the 100 hour mark and this game is only getting better. Isaac was another game that got better as I developed a better understanding of mechanics and how to make them work together.

Slay is incredible.

Edit: Into the Breach is really good too! It’s a strategy game where you command time travel mechs to fight a mean invasion of alien bugs. There’s a lot of content in it these days. Lots of ways to tailor difficulty, too.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 2, 2024

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Wildtortilla posted:

And finally, Slay the Spire. This game is fantastic and I’m currently totally sucked into it.

I'm feelin that. On multiple platforms even.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Sure!

I like…

Dead Cells for some real good 2D action experience. Bonus if you like timed block and party gameplay.

Binding of Isaac is a classic. Top down roguelike inspired by Zelda games and poop. If you can get passed the aesthetic the game play is really, really great. It’s good for OP builds that keep escalating to destroy everything on the screen.

Enter the Gungeon is a good rear end bullet hell action game. Lots of wacky guns with mechanics and relic kind of things.

Hades is fabulous as has been mentioned already in this thread. It’s very accessible to the genre and has some of the best action gameplay in any game.

Solid list, although I wouldn't classify Gungeon as easy, I think it's brutally hard.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'd say all of them are: I haven't gotten far in any of them (I have them all on steam) :sweatdrop:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

B33rChiller posted:

Heh, sushi strikers was the only game to release on 3ds after I bought mine. (The SNES version with og mariokart included)

i got the Wii, GBA, and 3DS all in that way. just great bargain deals after bargain deals on a lot of stuff. used to love snatching up cheap loose carts at EB games for the GBA especially--found a lot of weird poo poo that way--but at some point they just spiked in price and disappeared.

pawn shops still kind of have that vibe at least.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

super fart shooter posted:

In spite of being the starting weapon , I think the sword is the hardest one to use well in Hades. It doesn't have range to let you poke and stay safe, and it's also not as fast and spammy as some of the others. You have to commit to the attacks more and they tend to leave you kinda vulnerable, so you've gotta have more precision and timing

Yeah it's definitely the weakest weapon in terms of early game potential at least

Morter posted:

Splatoon 3's Side Order DLC has been the first roguelike I've ever beaten "runs" for. I've dipped into a couple, including Hades, and I've found it generally discouraging to be so bad and die so early despite being decent in other, much tougher games.

However, now I kind of want more roguelike stuff, but I would like to start with easier roguelike games. I know that's probably not easy since most are about the almost insurmountable challenge of it, but I was wondering what games of this genre you could recommend that don't take a high bar of skill to at least beat initially? Or perhaps with some upgrades/metaprogression you get more powered or even overpowered later? The latter is how Side Order kind of plays out, and I found it extremely satisfying, so I'd like more games like that. :shobon:

Nightmare Reaper is pretty good, helps that unlike most Rougelike style games if you die you only lose your progress on the stage you were playing

Also it's on sale right now

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There was no reason for it but I played the demo of the Crystal Project and I love it. I think it's going to be my new dpad game. Sure I could've gotten a FF Pixel Remaster, but I've played them all and they're generally more expensive with less bells and whistles. Yes I need to play other JRPGs like Octopath 2, Live a Live, and FFX2, but hey, this was far cheaper.

Dumb idea sure, but bad one? Maybe not.

Starting Metroid Prime as my tabletop/docked game. To get all the unlockables in the extras you need 100% right? I was planning on just casually playing it having done that back on the GC.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Having "a dpad game"

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

100YrsofAttitude posted:

lol
Starting Metroid Prime as my tabletop/docked game. To get all the unlockables in the extras you need 100% right? I was planning on just casually playing it having done that back on the GC.

Getting 100% items and scans doesn’t quite unlock everything in the gallery, you gotta do a replay on hard mode too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like a great way to make the game not fun

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it's definitely the weakest weapon in terms of early game potential at least

Nightmare Reaper is pretty good, helps that unlike most Rougelike style games if you die you only lose your progress on the stage you were playing

Nightmare reaper requires a bit of old school fps practice to be appreciated. It gets hectic quite fast as new crazy enemies get introduced by the truckload.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Having "a dpad game"

I was pretty traumatized by my first drift scare. I've alway taken care of my electronics and they all have always run perfectly fine despite the years so that really bugged me. When I play handheld I prefer games that let me use the d-pad instead of the sticks to avoid the problem.

If they need the sticks I prefer using the controller and I play tabletop or docked. Plus for simpler 2D games like this the d-pad just feels right given the aesthetic.

runchild posted:

Getting 100% items and scans doesn’t quite unlock everything in the gallery, you gotta do a replay on hard mode too.

Good to know. I'll just do whatever then and just enjoy the atmosphere without the stress of anything else. Just ran through the opening area. It's still a great game.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was pretty traumatized by my first drift scare.
You do realize that there are alternatives and also Nintendo will fix them for free, right? Or you can be a badass and fix it yourself.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This is what I have hooked up to the TV in my bedroom, you'll still need a dedicated power source and HDMI if you only want to be moving the Switch but it works well and is also super portable if you want to take your setup to a friend's house, hotel, whatever
This was delivered a long time ago, finally got around to hooking it up.
Works perfectly, thank you for the suggestion :cheers:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Having done stick and shell replacements for JoyCons a few times, it can be a pain dealing with the various small parts, especially the ribbons, and it's easy to put back in a button wrong and have to re-open it to fix that. Plus you still have to spend a bit of money for the new sticks, though at least they usually come with the necessary screwdriver plus extra screws if you lose any.

Worth it to have a nice D Pad though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I agree, it's pretty great (~170 hours on steam).

I'm also going through roguelikes in my steam library and seeing what I liked/remembered.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Having done stick and shell replacements for JoyCons a few times, it can be a pain dealing with the various small parts, especially the ribbons, and it's easy to put back in a button wrong and have to re-open it to fix that. Plus you still have to spend a bit of money for the new sticks, though at least they usually come with the necessary screwdriver plus extra screws if you lose any.

Worth it to have a nice D Pad though.

Oof. I forgot about that part :doh:
I usually only play with the Pro Controller unless in bed or whatever, and fixed that in like 20 minutes.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
People who are upset about the pace of new game releases should settle down and have some kids and they'll find that their backlog is now stuffed with excellent games that they will never, ever finish. Just keep having more kids until you're like, "Please, Doug, stop making games so fast."

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

This gamer is advertising unprotected sex :dong:

e: just noticed your avatar text :v:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 2, 2024

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's games everywhere, likely a couple thousand on the Switch alone, and many many more on other random-rear end platforms. If you need games to play, you can find more easily. Or find another hobby or something.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

eightysixed posted:

You do realize that there are alternatives and also Nintendo will fix them for free, right? Or you can be a badass and fix it yourself.

I’m very bad at DIY and not a handy person. The repair service finally made its way to Europe but it’s easier to just not break things.

Anyway I find most games that need the controller are more fun docked due to graphics and bigger screen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

People who are upset about the pace of new game releases should settle down and have some kids and they'll find that their backlog is now stuffed with excellent games that they will never, ever finish. Just keep having more kids until you're like, "Please, Doug, stop making games so fast."

Hell just being an adult with a full-time job will do that! I have so many games in my backlog that I will never get to, much less finish, that Nintendo could stop making games entirely for ten years and I wouldn't run out!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My kid broke a joycon last night - the cable ribbons and the side piece are now detached, and a few bits of plastic seem broken off inside.

Any reason I shouldnt use the Nintendo repair site for this and ship it in? A week without it and a few bucks shipping seems reasonable

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Hell just being an adult with a full-time job will do that! I have so many games in my backlog that I will never get to, much less finish, that Nintendo could stop making games entirely for ten years and I wouldn't run out!

I'm finally playing Disco Elysium after having it on my backlog for years, but then I put that on hold and for some reason I'm deciding now is the time to play the Oracle of Seasons and Ages games, the only Zeldas besides the DS ones that I've never played.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disco Elysium ftw

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'd say you made a good call. They're my vote for best LoZ games, hope you enjoy 'em!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

For real though. Actually going to become a dad come June, so I'm interested to see how that's going to go down. Actually is there a "Gaming as a Parent" thread at all? Feels like it could get some traction.

But yeah, as much a Switch 2 would be neat, I'm going to be plenty busy with the Switch for quite a few years to come. And I have a pretty loose schedule being a teacher, massive vacations and a shorter work-week? Yet I still can't get through it all.

Tender Bender posted:

I'm finally playing Disco Elysium after having it on my backlog for years, but then I put that on hold and for some reason I'm deciding now is the time to play the Oracle of Seasons and Ages games, the only Zeldas besides the DS ones that I've never played.

Disco Elysium can genuinely just be played the way you'd read a book or listen to an audiobook. It's excellent and I'd consider it a whole different category altogether. I want to read the book that world is based on but I don't think it was ever properly translated (I know there's a fan one but I want a book to own).

Enjoy the Oracle games. I don't love them and my last replays took me a long time as I found to be slogs and too long in general. They're not as charming as Link's Awakening, few things are, but get by on cool gimmicky weapons and dungeons. Probably the worst examples of Zelda's classic formula since it becomes very blatant how you're locked out of areas. The in-between dungeon sections really dragged at times too. But that's me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

trevorreznik posted:

My kid broke a joycon last night - the cable ribbons and the side piece are now detached, and a few bits of plastic seem broken off inside.

Any reason I shouldnt use the Nintendo repair site for this and ship it in? A week without it and a few bucks shipping seems reasonable

Go for it. And get that kid a powerglove yesterday.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

trevorreznik posted:

Lotta bros in this thread need a side piece, for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

eightysixed posted:

This was delivered a long time ago, finally got around to hooking it up.
Works perfectly, thank you for the suggestion :cheers:

Hell yeah, cheers :cheers: