Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

JLaw posted:

Wrath is good, glad it made it across the finish line.

I like the idea of limited quicksaving in principle, but it kind of bums me out that (apparently?) Wrath doesn't do the save-on-quit thing... it makes it less attractive to do short play sessions during breaks since each one burns a save token. (Yah I know there are a lot of tokens, it's just the feel of the thing.)

I have just taken to pausing it and alt-tabbing out. I got 64GB of RAM so lol whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The limited save thing is funny, I thought it would made me save somewhat less,, but I'm actually saving a lot less... Because it's somehow fun to make the item number you have on screen to go up. I think I am at 22 unused saves now.

And I have never been one that plays wads in single segment style, without saving and starting again if I die, unlike some people here.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Lemon-Lime posted:

Jan was always his better half and this is clear from the very beginning of the series.

And now they're both gone.

:smith:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I still think if you wanna limit saves just put in checkpoints. I don't wanna have to gently caress around with a save budget, but it's not gonna hurt the game for me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks very much to everyone in this thread that recommended HROT. I just finished Episode 3 and it was a really fun ride. I miss my little doggos tho :(

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was very upset when I realized what was up with the mysterious meat.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was very upset when I realized what was up with the mysterious meat.

but they came back later!!

edit: actually do they still come back in the Epilogue if you don't go to the Rathaus (E3 secret level)? I hope so!

Convex fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 2, 2024

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
TAG1 + TAG2 has Multi Marauder (Water Rig level for TAG1, Immora for TAG2) - but its much easier in TAG2 due to arena layout (nice and big, with easy LoS options)
Ghost Marauder (possessed by Spirit) and Buffed Marauder (totem) is TAG1. If you're like me, you love this kind of thing.

I wish TAG2 had more modified Heavy/Super Heavy Demons, instead of gimmicky "kill annoying Fodder with your "other" weapon mod because we know its poo poo "

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 2, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Glagha posted:

I still think if you wanna limit saves just put in checkpoints. I don't wanna have to gently caress around with a save budget, but it's not gonna hurt the game for me.

This is where Im at. Theres nothing the manual saving offers over a checkpoint system, especially when the game has a built in check point system with the shrines so the devs clearly knew how to pace things.

Also the latest weapon I got I would posit is an actual weak design choice. Theres no scenario where you would ever use the basic weapon attack on your blade, so having a weapon where 50% of its moveset is "a better melee attack than your basic blade" is weak sauce. Even this things stronger melee attack is still worse than the lunge, so really this weapon would have been fine with its BFG alt fire just being a replacement primary fire to the blade rather than a whole new thing I have to scroll past in a fire fight.

Edit: I was going to complain in world 1 the lack of tough enemies but by world 3 fights are brutal juggles of all different tough foes so for those starting, the game drip feeds you foes at a slightly too slow pace imo but builds to a suitably nasty finish.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 2, 2024

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Barudak posted:

Theres nothing the manual saving offers over a checkpoint system

I'd much rather be able to save and quit whenever I want instead of having to keep playing to the next checkpoint. So far I've barely relied on save shrines outside of the health refill.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

TAG1 + TAG2 has Multi Marauder (Water Rig level for TAG1, Immora for TAG2) - but its much easier in TAG2 due to arena layout (nice and big, with easy LoS options)
Ghost Marauder (possessed by Spirit) and Buffed Marauder (totem) is TAG1. If you're like me, you love this kind of thing.

I wish TAG2 had more modified Heavy/Super Heavy Demons, instead of gimmicky "kill annoying Fodder with your "other" weapon mod because we know its poo poo "

TAG2 makes me sad for reasons I’ve talked about before. It’s so clear that there was a destination in mind for Doom Eternal but they couldn’t hit it with the time they had left before the game’s one year anniversary, so they just punted. And we got stone imps, fightboxes worthy of a 1994 Doom wad, and that asinine last boss. Blegh.

Wrath is doing it for me so far, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

This is probably my biggest problem with it. Lots of "you have to use this weapon (variant) only to kill this enemy". Contrary to what people were saying about the base game and needing to use "the right weapon for every encounter", I didn't really find it the case. Hell you could probably clear the entire game swapping between just the ballista and SSG. I didn't because it's loving boring, not because it wasn't viable. But no, lots of having to be forced to use stuff I don't like was my main takeaway and I despised it. I was so loving bored playing it, I just kept waiting for the interminable fights to end so I could advance to the next way too long fight where I'd be forced to using weapon mods I don't like. God drat I hated this game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

I'd much rather be able to save and quit whenever I want instead of having to keep playing to the next checkpoint. So far I've barely relied on save shrines outside of the health refill.

If every skull were a checkpoint, which they somewhat effectively are, you'd never have far to go before it'd save again. Shrines only is too sparse for short sessions, agreed.

Edit: For my fellow skull hoarders, don't be scared if the number rolls back around to 00, it can't show three digits so it just hides the hundreds from you and only shows the 10s and 1s but still remembers the total number you actually have.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I haven't gotten far into Wrath yet, they still got the dark armor or was that just for the demo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Milo and POTUS posted:

I haven't gotten far into Wrath yet, they still got the dark armor or was that just for the demo

Still got it

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Barudak posted:

If every skull were a checkpoint, which they somewhat effectively are, you'd never have far to go before it'd save again. Shrines only is too sparse for short sessions, agreed.

Edit: For my fellow skull hoarders, don't be scared if the number rolls back around to 00, it can't show three digits so it just hides the hundreds from you and only shows the 10s and 1s but still remembers the total number you actually have.

I'm entering the age of Being Old and sometimes can't pay attention to something for longer than 15 minutes. I need my manual saves for those times I launch a game, play for 8 minutes and then decide I'd rather go wander off somewhere. If an engine can happily accommodate manual saving, gimme.
You are right that the skulls are pretty generous as checkpoints, but with the wide open areas that's not always the case, especially if you're secret hunting. I value my time more than the added tension of not being able to spam quicksaves, even if it is only 5-15 minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But this doesnt have manual saves, on your own admission you have to hunt down skulls to save and arent hunting them down that much so you're effectively going a checkpoints distance to save again. The only thing that would meaningfully change is you wouldnt be hunting skulls since the checkpoint would have you for free.

It really feels like the game was going to be designed to bring stuff across levels like a light metroidvania and someone realized eh, thats probably not a good idea.

Also, I will never be good enough at this games movement mechanics to reach the secret teleporters in the hub maps.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Barudak posted:

But this doesnt have manual saves, on your own admission you have to hunt down skulls to save and arent hunting them down that much so you're effectively going a checkpoints distance to save again. The only thing that would meaningfully change is you wouldnt be hunting skulls since the checkpoint would have you for free.

It really feels like the game was going to be designed to bring stuff across levels like a light metroidvania and someone realized eh, thats probably not a good idea.

Also, I will never be good enough at this games movement mechanics to reach the secret teleporters in the hub maps.

I mean, F2 is the manual save. They have their limit but I'm sitting at 20 of them right now, so it barely matters. It makes me wonder if they started with that game design philosophy of checkpoints only, then playtesting made them add the skulls for quicksaving, which they further dialed up the frequency after more testing? Cause it's a really weird system, if they wanted to add the tension between saves, it doesn't really work here. It's more like a mild inconvenience for people like me who want to save every minute.

Alternatively, a save & quit feature would work as someone else suggested earlier. I see no drawback in that. If someone wants to "savescum" by manually copying the save file, then let them. It's no different from using a memory editor to give yourself infinite saves with the current system

But uhh this was just brought to my attention so I feel dumb now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was reading the last few posts and wondering if you were all playing on a build without infinite saving

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

"Saving in Throwback Shooters"- the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 3,085 pages of heated debate,

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the new intro sequence in wrath is really cool!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was reading the last few posts and wondering if you were all playing on a build without infinite saving

It's the default option to use limited saves, so it's something interesting to discuss, even if it can be disabled and then play it as your average FPS.

Barudak posted:

I feel you are overcomplicating things. It's a normal quicksave with the advantages of that (the player chooses when to save, and you don't depend of the game designer checkpoints) except you can't cheese fights with it because you don't have an infinite amount.

In any case the game goes hard. In the garden level I've had already some intense fights, that reminded me more of Doom wads than vainilla Quake, and I see the 5th level goes even harder:

The only 'objective' issue I see with the game is that the flying big monsters have problematic pathfinding, the get stuck in some corners.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 2, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That level enemy count is bugged, iirc. It has less than half that many foes.

Dont worry, it gets real mean with the tools it brings to bear by hub 3

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

"Saving in Throwback Shooters"- the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 3,085 pages of heated debate,

My favourite saving system is early access games where you have to start again every time there's a patch!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Should I be doing the levels in any particular order in Wrath? I can’t remember how I did it back when it was in early access

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

That level enemy count is bugged, iirc. It has less than half that many foes.

Dont worry, it gets real mean with the tools it brings to bear by hub 3

Oh. Still, with 28 secrets, it's clearly a chonky boy of a level.

Although, continuing with the talk of issues, It's nice the game is longer than say, Quake 1, but it doesn't seem to have the different content to cover that length without getting too samey. I'm already past six hours with this game, and I'm starting to be bored of the same 8 enemies and I still have the same 5 weapons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh. Still, with 28 secrets, it's clearly a chonky boy of a level.

Although, continuing with the talk of issues, It's nice the game is longer than say, Quake 1, but it doesn't seem to have the different content to cover that length without getting too samey. I'm already past six hours with this game, and I'm starting to be bored of the same 8 enemies and I still have the same 5 weapons.

It has a pacing issue, but by hub 3 you will have arguably too many weapons and enough mean enemies to make fights frantic.

The maps are at least twice as long as most quake campaign maps, maybe even 3 times as long sometimes, so each hub is 2-3 times longer than an equivalent quake episode. With levels in any order, the toolset and enemy mix can only tier up roughly every 10-15 quake equivalent maps which contributes a lot to the issues.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
robocop is so, so much stupid fun

teyon really have nailed the rpg/lite movie tie in

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

robocop is so, so much stupid fun

teyon really have nailed the rpg/lite movie tie in

:agreed:

They had a very rough start with the Rambo game but they clearly loved the movies and it showed in the end product. Hoping they do Total Recall next!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
A total recall rpg light would be extremely on point, although the writing would need to be pretty tight to work

sidebar for a second- did wrath end up shipping their source with the game?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
To add to the save discussion, one of my prouder moments as a wannabe video game developer was coming up with the quicksave/quickload binds to the menu in the pause menu of the Doom/Doom2/Q1/Q2 ports to allow controllers to allow controller folks to savescum without taking up valuable button real estate, because I save every 5 steps when allowed to. I probably never load 4/5ths of the quicksaves I make in Doom levels.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

spongeh posted:

To add to the save discussion, one of my prouder moments as a wannabe video game developer was coming up with the quicksave/quickload binds to the menu in the pause menu of the Doom/Doom2/Q1/Q2 ports to allow controllers to allow controller folks to savescum without taking up valuable button real estate, because I save every 5 steps when allowed to. I probably never load 4/5ths of the quicksaves I make in Doom levels.

:love:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Barudak posted:

It has a pacing issue, but by hub 3 you will have arguably too many weapons and enough mean enemies to make fights frantic.

The maps are at least twice as long as most quake campaign maps, maybe even 3 times as long sometimes, so each hub is 2-3 times longer than an equivalent quake episode. With levels in any order, the toolset and enemy mix can only tier up roughly every 10-15 quake equivalent maps which contributes a lot to the issues.

i was pretty bored in the first episode but 2 definitely kicks it up. not super hard yet but i'm at least dying occasionally.

my major annoyance atm is the enemy pathfinding is weird and so many fights end up with the cacodemon equivalents getting stuck somewhere.

and the blade movement is fun but on Hard your health gets chewed through quickly and most enemies get a hit in if you go full melee. the glide move giving super armor or health leech would open up more effective strategies with it. i want it to be effective to fly through the eyeball monster's projectiles and stab it. instead, it's usually better to sit back and snipe with fangs/handgun

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying Wrath, my few criticisms are:

It's extremely easy to select the wrong load option after death as there is no delay.

Why do completed level portals on the hub look the same as unplayed ones? After not playing for a few days I can't remember which levels I've already played.

I found the 'expose all secrets' artefact in the first hub and there's no way I would have found all the secrets in a level without using it, the cracks on walls are so hard to see.

and gently caress that elevator in the Gardens level.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Koburn posted:

I found the 'expose all secrets' artefact in the first hub

The what??

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Probably the best one as it has no time limit and affects the entire level it's used on.

I was hoping there would be one in every level and by finding the first one I could chain them together for the entire game, unfortunately that isn't the case.

In the first hub there's a circular wooden platform high up on a tree. It's not on that platform, but it's on the ledge you need to jump off to get to said platform.
Hope that helps lol

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Koburn posted:

and gently caress that elevator in the Gardens level.

*whispering* my friend can I introduce you to the wonders of Confounding Attar

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Koburn posted:

Probably the best one as it has no time limit and affects the entire level it's used on.

I was hoping there would be one in every level and by finding the first one I could chain them together for the entire game, unfortunately that isn't the case.

In the first hub there's a circular wooden platform high up on a tree. It's not on that platform, but it's on the ledge you need to jump off to get to said platform.
Hope that helps lol

Found it.

Although, I have already finished the five maps of Ep1 lol. Do you keep weapons and artifacts between levels? edit: they are kept. yay!

I said before I like the long, epic levels but... if you are gonna make it, I would prefer if the max armor, ammo and item amount would have been bigger, to avoid so many backtracking to pick up stuff I couldn't pick before because I was full. Also, I'm missing some kind of map like in Doom, to mark some stuff, like unopened coffers.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 2, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Picked up Terminator on sale and it's janky, but fun. Mostly terrible voice acting, but the terminators look and sound like terminators and the guns go pew pew like they should. Go in without expecting too much and you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

Though, I played Robocop first and it's is definitely more refined and a superior product all-round. Teyon is clearly learning and getting better with each game. Terminator is still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For sure, Robocop feels like a significantly more polished and solid product. I appreciate the fact that most weapons have some utility (which was something that bugged me about Terminator, even if there were in-universe reasons for it). The only thing is that I wish there was some sort of FAL-type rifle, because why the hell not.