Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

History Comes Inside! posted:

What is a two way superstar

Ohtani pitches and hits at a high level. Something no one has done in MLB in generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is that better or worse than a five tool player

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's not directly comparable but is the only way to be a six tool player, therefore better

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would probably be more accurate to say that the five tools are only one of the two ways in “two way player”. So pitching isn’t so much a 6th tool as it’s doubling up with its own set of tools. Ohtani would probably be like an 8 tool player or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What is a two way superstar

Trips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNijlXm3X_I

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'll come up to two tools for it just like hitting. not a tool more

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

i'll come up to two tools for it just like hitting. not a tool more

going to have to agree with this assessment.

Your five tools are:
+ hitting for average
+ hitting for power
+ base running and speed
+ throwing
+ fielding

I don't know what pitching can add to that list that is any more than just one tool to the toolbox, but am willing to accept a max of two and my own lacking creativity.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

karmicknight posted:

Your five tools are:
+ hitting for average
+ hitting for power
+ base running and speed
+ throwing
+ fielding

I don't know what pitching can add to that list that is any more than just one tool to the toolbox, but am willing to accept a max of two and my own lacking creativity.

I don't claim to know anything about baseball, but surely you can't be a good fielder without good throwing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

I don't claim to know anything about baseball, but surely you can't be a good fielder without good throwing?

You can be incredibly fast, take great routes to the ball and be able to catch anything that comes your way without having a strong throwing arm. They are considered separate "tools" since you'll often see a guy with a great throwing arm who isn't an amazing fielder.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

forkboy84 posted:

They're different skillsets. You can have good range in the field but not be good at throwing out baserunners.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, you can park a great fielder with a not great arm at first base to cover for that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Besides all of the different kinds of pitches, I would think pitching tools would be something like speed, location, holding runners and uh, throwing and fielding.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jesus what a scumbag.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chris benoit will return in WM 40

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Stand Up for WWE, Even the Parts They Don't Want You To

...is because he's a normal human man, who is NOT dealing with any issues regarding his image or career

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

karmicknight posted:

Your five tools are:
+ hitting for average
+ hitting for power
+ base running and speed
+ throwing
+ fielding

for pitching, it would be velocity, control and movement on the ball

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What the gently caress is it about Benoit that makes people in the year of our lord 2024 go "I don't care how many kids he killed he's still the GOAT to me brother!!!"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Drakkel posted:

What the gently caress is it about Benoit that makes people in the year of our lord 2024 go "I don't care how many kids he killed he's still the GOAT to me brother!!!"

The go-to excuse used to be "he was a big part of my childhood" except that childhood was 20-25 years ago now, so it just sounds pathetic.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Drakkel posted:

Have you heard about this new thing called ‘trolling’

People like to do poo poo to deliberately upset other people, it’s wild

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Before AEW derangement syndrome hit a lot of the peanut gallery 'Chris Benoit should be in the hall of fame' was a leading awful take that felt like it came up every week. Not happy to see it again

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i know wrestling attracts some weirdos (i say, looking deadeyed into my mirror) but are there people showing up to USC games in OJ shirts or Rae Curruth at Panthers games or Jimmy Saville cosplay at the BBC or whatever? that seems like a really wrestling fan thing to do, given the cheers ive heard for some real fuckin' monsters

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God Kevin Kelly stinks

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/1764047461360783495

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The gently caress is he talking about

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ian talked about how Kevin treated him like poo poo and held him down in ROH, IIRC, and Kevin has never let it go. I have no idea what he means by his number getting called or whatever.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The gently caress is he talking about

Probably this https://twitter.com/Dazelel/status/1697333111510487505

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Oh yeah, that too!

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Buddy, you’re on TV every Saturday night, your number is called regularly because Ian didn’t want to work weekends.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Kevin is just jealous of the Riccabone Zone

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I have been libeled against!!!!!*

*in a discord comment section

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Have you heard about this new thing called ‘trolling’

People like to do poo poo to deliberately upset other people, it’s wild

they arent trolling they genuinely believe this lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the benoit rabbit hole is deep conspirarcy theories about vince or kevin sullivan murdering and framing him for his families death, benoit needs to be acknowledged he needs to be in all the hall of fame, benoit had CTE he shouldnt be erased because of his mistakes, oj simpson killed his wife why is he in the NFL hall of fame it just goes on forever lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rotinaj posted:

And homeboy gets a whole 300 likes out of it

lol, lmao

That's still more than Albert Nasty

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

That's still more than Albert Nasty

Damning with faint praise

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

karmicknight posted:

Your five tools are:
+ hitting for average
+ hitting for power
+ base running and speed
+ throwing
+ fielding

Command, control, stuff.

Eat This Glob posted:

i know wrestling attracts some weirdos (i say, looking deadeyed into my mirror) but are there people showing up to USC games in OJ shirts or Rae Curruth at Panthers games or Jimmy Saville cosplay at the BBC or whatever? that seems like a really wrestling fan thing to do, given the cheers ive heard for some real fuckin' monsters

I sat next to someone at the Trop with a Vick jersey they had sewn extra letters on to spell CONVICKT.

forkboy84 posted:

There’s plenty of ways to work around having a noodle arm if you’ve got a good bat. Generally you get stuck in left field if you’ve got a good glove and a noodle arm, since you can get away with it there more than other positions.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 3, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Why is that? I get why a CF has to actually be a good fielder, he covers the most ground, but why is left field where you stick dudes that can't field instead of right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MJeff posted:

Why is that? I get why a CF has to actually be a good fielder, he covers the most ground, but why is left field where you stick dudes that can't field instead of right?

Shorter throw to third base. You’re almost always throwing to second or third from the outfield.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Less can't field and more can't throw. A right fielder has to make occasional long throws to third, a left fielder doesn't so you are just stuck with them having weak throws home. If someone is a weak fielder and has a weak arm you want them in left. Brett Gardner was an excellent center fielder but played a portion of his career in left because the Yankees signed expensive free agents for center and Gardner had a weak arm, so he went from a great centerfielder to an absolutely elite left fielder. He had a weak arm so left was perfect for him. But he was so fast that the weak arm didn't really matter in center because his fielding more than made up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I suppose that's why weak throwers in the infield/power hitters get placed at first base since they rarely have to make throws compared to say second/short stop

Also lamo I regret ever thinking Kevin was good in the New Japan booth. It's clear with him gone that Chris carried the booth (also hope he gets demoted to like...not working on AEW. Just go to Tony/Nigel on Saturdays with Ian coming in when he can work it)