Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm playing 500 points of Alpha Strike this weekend.

code:
Missile Boats
Mad Cat H
Mad Cat H
Mad Cat H
Koshi N
Hankyu D

Brawlers
Cougar C
Hunchback IIC 3
Puma H
Warhammer IIC 2
Black Hawk K
Thoughts?

Enjoy driving them insane. Also take pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Arquinsiel posted:

Finished Falcon Rising and TBH it's the best of Thurston's books. It actually does a lot to setup the metaplot of the Clan storyline heading forward, and it's... just fun really.

Threads of Ambition, on the other hand... well now this is a book that I feel has kind of defined BattleTech fiction going forward. For some reason Sun Tzu now really really super pinkie promise cares about the lives of the average Capellan citizen, and while that's super implausible, the rest of the book is most seen from the perspective of Sgt Dipshit of the First Blue Team Lancers getting mad about having to fight at all and worrying about civillian casualties. There's no real "hero" perspective, just a bunch of people who are determined to do their jobs. Really doesn't feel like a book published in 1999, it has a much later "well, we did invade their homes..." ~2010 mid-War on Terror vibe to it, where nobody is in the right, but you can understand why any given person mentioned feels like they have to fight. I have to call this one "actually good" and people should read it.

Exodus road seems to have a lot about killing civilians. About halfway through rn

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Smoke Jags gonna Smoke Jag :shrug:

TBH one of Pardoe's better books.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Damning with faint praise.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My opponent insisted that because he was Clan he didn't have to agree to Forced Withdrawal because they fight to the death. I've read the rule and flipped through other references to it, but I am not sure exactly where that is mentioned. Closest I could find was something called "Esprit de Corps" but that appears to be a Special Command Ability, which I don't remember agreeing to use.

So there was that.

I noticed I selected the wrong Warhammer IIC variant (I ran the missile boat 2 in my brawler star formation when I meant to pick the brawler 13 variant), but because I only had the one stat card, I punished myself and didn't use any Lucky rolls the whole match. This meant I was 3 snipers to my opponents 6. All or most of his mechs had 16-18" movement and TMM 3.

I've never won such a lopsided match in my life. His mechs were paper thin compared to my absolute tanks. I didn't even roll that well. I just had to get close to average expected outcomes and I shredded through his entire list despite them not going home. Since I was Clan, naturally I didn't have to retreat either per his interpretation of the rules, and I had a hell of a lot more structure than he did.

Here are some photos of my mechs poking about looking to see if there are any targets left.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Total Warfare p. 275:

Retreat
Clan MechWarriors despise their Inner Sphere counterparts because they consider Inner Sphere armies dishonorable warriors fighting in inferior ’Mechs. Therefore, Clan warriors consider retreating from Inner Sphere opponents a disgrace almost beyond redemption. When allowed to choose whether or not to flee a losing battle, many Clan warriors prefer to fight to the death.

At Honor Level 1, a Clan warrior never retreats. At Honor Level 2, Clan warriors may retreat from enemy ’Mechs that are using advanced technology, but never from ’Mechs, vehicles or infantry units using 3025 (introductory) technology. At Honor Level 3, Clan warriors may retreat from any vintage of enemy ’Mech, but will not retreat from vehicles or infantry units. At Honor Level 4, Clan warriors may retreat at will.”

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That's Total Warfare though and not Alpha Strike. I thought the game systems were entirely divorced? He's also never read Total Warfare.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Forced Withdrawal is an optional rule, but it's on for everyone or it's on for no-one unless you're doing some sort of GM'd scenario. The side using forced withdrawal is at a disadvantage against the side that isn't.

Alpha Strike Commander's Edition: Page 126 posted:

FORCED WITHDRAWAL
[...]
A unit that has taken crippling damage will begin to retreat.
The unit must move toward its home map edge at its best possible
speed to reach the home edge as soon as possible. Once it reaches
the home map edge, the unit retreats from battle and is removed
from the game.

Emphasis mine. There's nothing in the rules about asymmetric forced withdrawal. In normal play everyone uses it or no one does.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I didn't even know Alpha Strike had forced withdrawal rules, they really exist so that Classic games don't last forever with crippled machines desperately trying to core each other out with their single remaining small laser.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

FishFood posted:

I didn't even know Alpha Strike had forced withdrawal rules, they really exist so that Classic games don't last forever with crippled machines desperately trying to core each other out with their single remaining small laser.

They're even in the introductory rules! The scenario section emphasizes that you use them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FishFood posted:

Understandable, but otoh this is the funniest part of Classic

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The original designers clearly imagined everyone would just do that because they wrote a lot about how mechs are rare and losing yours is terrible.

They forgot that players hate to hit the "give up" button.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Defiance Industries posted:

The original designers clearly imagined everyone would just do that because they wrote a lot about how mechs are rare and losing yours is terrible.

They forgot that players hate to hit the "give up" button.

There's definitely a disconnect between the fiction and the game there, too. If I was a 'Mech pilot and my leg was blown off you can bet your rear end I'm bailing out, but players are incentivized to keep fighting until the very end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've never won such a lopsided match in my life. His mechs were paper thin compared to my absolute tanks. I didn't even roll that well. I just had to get close to average expected outcomes and I shredded through his entire list despite them not going home. Since I was Clan, naturally I didn't have to retreat either per his interpretation of the rules, and I had a hell of a lot more structure than he did.
Just going to hilight this in particular. Good job.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's Total Warfare though and not Alpha Strike. I thought the game systems were entirely divorced? He's also never read Total Warfare.

Huh, you’re right. I kinds figured such a strongly fluffy concept would be a given in either system. I guess that’s not mentioned anywhere in Alpha Strike rules, then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alpha Strike is more game-y, with the expectation being the rules (standard and optional) always affect both sides equally.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FishFood posted:

There's definitely a disconnect between the fiction and the game there, too. If I was a 'Mech pilot and my leg was blown off you can bet your rear end I'm bailing out, but players are incentivized to keep fighting until the very end.

I would never bail out.

...I'm the Landgrave von Kelestra Valley, I would wait in my cockpit until one of my retainers came to transport me back to my estate.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

FishFood posted:

In my school club campaign I've been using forced withdrawal rules. Pirates automatically retreat. Clans and Inner Sphere regiments have to roll on a 'courage check' whether they withdraw or not each time they take structure damage. Same with the merc company the kids are running.

They bought Chameleon on their last trip back to Galatea. I also let them revive one killed pilot by claiming the killed pilot was really a clone of the actual person.

... I may have to freak them out with Wobbies eventually.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Have you given them edge points? It's definitely worth doing to let them try save their favourite pilots.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arquinsiel posted:

Have you given them edge points? It's definitely worth doing to let them try save their favourite pilots.

I'll have to look into that, thanks, this is my first campaign I've ever run in Alpha Strike (or anything really).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's really simple. Each point lets them force a reroll. Can be a shot, a crit chance, a shutdown, or the location the other side rolled for a hit. Or whatever Alpha Strike uses to determine pilot survival.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Slowly progressing on the urbie LAM, two more forms to go, now that I have the mech form finished to use as a reference.

e: microset and microsol are loving magic, these decals are ten years old, give or take a bit. Officially licensed, from the Robotech RPG Tactics kickstarter (May Kevin Simbieda die alone and unloved)

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 2, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

It's really simple. Each point lets them force a reroll. Can be a shot, a crit chance, a shutdown, or the location the other side rolled for a hit. Or whatever Alpha Strike uses to determine pilot survival.

That’s not a thing the game really tracks, at least directly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Then it's even easier to abstract away to prevent kids getting sad about losing their robot driver.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Pilot and unit survival post-game is still in the Alpha Strike Companion (not currently in print). If you want the specific pages for it DM me. I've used it for a handful of events and it's brutal so it's a good opportunity for Edge an you can use it to have baddies show up in later games still messed up.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mention of the Companion led me to wanting to take a look at it and the original Alpha Strike rulebook. Never read those and don’t know the differences compared to the Commander’s Edition. But I looked at the contents online and guess what I saw - Clan honor. I tracked down a questionable full PDF of the rulebook and it totally has Alpha Strike rules for Clan honor, including ignoring forced withdrawal rules. It turns out Atlas Hugged’s opponent was actually right, just several years out of date.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 2, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

a cyborg mug posted:

Mention of the Companion led me to wanting to take a look at it and the original Alpha Strike rulebook. Never read those and don’t know the differences compared to the Commander’s Edition. But I looked at the contents online and guess what I saw - Clan honor. I tracked down a questionable full PDF of the rulebook and it totally has Alpha Strike rules for Clan honor, including ignoring forced withdrawal rules. It turns out Atlas Hugged’s opponent was actually right, just several years out of date.

Ha! To be fair though, this guy has only read the current edition.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just had a game where my Strider H (2x streak LRM 10s) did more damage than my Firestarter U (5 medium pulse lasers and sword) and Black Hawk-KU U (7 ER medium lasers and hatchet) each did, although those two each got a kill and the Strider didn't. I sat it on a hill covered by smoke near the start of the game and expended about half its ammo or about 120 damage in total.

My usual go-to for this kind of sniping, which usually gives consistent damage over the whole game if you can screen for them, is the Blackjack E (ER large laser, light gauss rifle, LRM 10) because it can jump into a good spot that it smoked the previous turn and the LRM 10 gives it the option to lay more smoke for other units. But the Strider H has much better ground speed which helps to reposition or escape from a flanker, and has a bit lower BV.

Maybe a Strider H carrying a squad of battle claw/grenade launcher Tunnel Rat IVs with smoke grenades is a bit better, plus the Tunnel Rats can do leg attacks against things that try to backstab. gently caress it, in my next game I'm going to take both plus a squad of Tunnel Rats.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Smoke seems cool...does an active probe let you ignore woods/smoke? That would be a nice bonus for equipment that otherwise seems to exist just for flavor.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's an optional rule to allow probes to reduce total woods modifier by 1 if the target is within probe range.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

There's an optional rule to allow probes to reduce total woods modifier by 1 if the target is within probe range.

Yeah, and smoke counts as woods for the purpose of attack modifiers and line of sight, so it interacts with probes in the same way.

I really like the probe targeting rule and the ECCM/ghost targets rules because they add far more utility to probes and ECM, including some interesting interplay where probes can see through ghost targets. Probes go from being dead weight in most scenarios and ECM becomes less swingy - instead of being useless in some scenarios or negating half of the other team's BV in others, it becomes something that can be defended from and that always has some utility. (In hidden units scenarios, however, my SO and I have decided that we do not use the optional rules for them because the base game's rules gives them both enough utility and is how the hidden units rules were intended to be used anyway.)

These rules make some units really nice. The Firestarter X and the Black Hawk-KU G become really nice to have with their paired Bloodhound probes and Angel ECMs combined with their mobility and pulse lasers. And units with C3/ECM/AP like the Owens F and Malak Comminus work extremely well as spotters because they can not only defend from one regular enemy ECM, but also transmit the probe bonus to other units in the network!

As far as smoke goes, I wrote a bunch earlier on battle armor grenade launcher smoke. BA smoke is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to make a stationary sniper easier to hit, but it doesn't help you during a moving battle in the same way that missile smoke can.

Smoke missiles, like grenade launchers, fill the "target" hex with smoke, meaning you don't even make a to-hit roll and risk missing or scattering or anything like that (interestingly, MegaMek rolls to-hit and scatter for smoke rounds but just ends up deploying the smoke correctly in the target hex.) This means you can fire smoke rounds at one or more hexes as secondary targets while still firing normal weapons at a primary target without having to worry about the secondary target penalties. Unlike smoke produced by fire, smoke round have a fixed lifetime so you don't roll for random dissipation. However, they are still subject to drift if wind is in play.

Smoke takes effect at the end of the phase like all weapon effects, so you can't use it to protect against weapon attacks in the same turn. So normally you have to plan ahead by a turn to put smoke in a place where you want to move or that will block line of sight during the next turn. However, if you fire smoke into the hex of an allied unit, the smoke will protect the target during the physical phase!

Missile weapons that deal 5 or less damage in a full volley deploy light smoke clouds, while bigger weapons deploy heavy smoke clouds. Two or more light smoke clouds in one hex counts as a heavy smoke cloud. This means that LRM 5s, SRM 2s, and MML 3s and 5s firing LRMs will produce light smoke while everything else produces heavy smoke. This makes MML 3s firing smoke SRMs and MML 7s firing smoke LRMs the lightest Inner Sphere ways to deploy heavy smoke with one weapon at those respective ranges.

However, two LRM 5s are a bit more efficient than MML 7s for deploying smoke at LRM ranges, so all those units with several LRM 5 racks and a couple tons of ammo have some good utility here. For instance, I've used the Sunder A to good effect. With 3 LRM 5s and 2 tons of ammo it has the flexibility to lay just as much smoke as you need while still being able to use the LRMs for regular attacks.

But MML 7s have the advantage that they are big SRM racks, so for instance I like the Strider G. With two MML 7s and two tons of ammo, it can deploy a total of 17 heavy smoke clouds at LRM ranges while being able to throw in 7 volleys of 14 SRMs when the fight gets close.

For record keeping, I feel the best way is to using numbered tokens and a sheet of paper to record which token is what strength and how many turns it has left. When I deploy the smoke, I write it down as having 4 turns remaining and then subtract 1 turn from all clouds during the end phase, removing them when they hit 0. This means they last the full three turns and I don't have to remember which ones I deployed that turn. Also, I record two light smokes deployed in the same hex at the same time as a single heavy smoke because I don't believe there is a situation where the distinction matters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm generally not a fan of ghost targets - but to be fair the last time I played with them I think they were fairly different from the current implementation, and the result of it was that there were multiple overlapping bubbles of stacking +1s and it made every scenario a massive slog even between slow heavies. A +1 to hit is just so big that in a lot of cases it's the equivalent of +1 TMM when the unit mounting the ECM didn't pay anywhere near that for the equipment.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, it used to be that a high roll could create a large penalty. Now, you have to beat a target number of piloting +3 with an activation roll to get a single +1 to hit penalty on all attacks against a single ally or to give a +1 penalty to all attacks made a single enemy, with a maximum of +3 from a total of 3 sources.

You can't use more than one ECM at a time per unit, either. To get more than +1 ghost targets penalty from a single unit you need one or both of Command Console and 7 tons of Communications Equipment, and they also do their own separate activation rolls so you are hardly guaranteed the full +3.

These new rules seem pretty reasonable, especially since ECCM and active probes can also counter them. If players agree ahead of time to use these rules they can plan accordingly. For instance, the Firestarter X and Black Hawk-KU G that I mentioned earlier are good ways to make sure that any amount of Guardian ghost targets don't matter.

edit: I mean I get that even +1 is a really good bonus, but in the games I've played (6000 BV, units bought at list BV but pilots upgraded to 3/4, essentially equivalent to 8000 BV), even when I really tried to bring a bunch of ECM I rarely saw better than +1 in a turn. The old rules were incredibly stupid but now I think they're about right.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 5, 2024

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Where are the active probe rules that let them be used against forests?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

LaSquida posted:

Where are the active probe rules that let them be used against forests?

BMM page 110, see Targeting (Optional).

-or-

TacOps AR page 97, see Targeting.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

spotted on Randall's instagram, apparently:

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Am I memeing, daddy? -CGL

I loving hate this poo poo

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Holybat posted:

Am I memeing, daddy? -CGL

I loving hate this poo poo

You know these packs will sell out and make CGL a bundle. I could care less as an Alpha Strike player. I got the Urbanmech lance pack myself jsut because I liked the minis and wanted to use them in an urban defense scenario.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You know these packs will sell out and make CGL a bundle. I could care less as an Alpha Strike player. I got the Urbanmech lance pack myself jsut because I liked the minis and wanted to use them in an urban defense scenario.

It may seem counterintuitive but I do want it to sell a bundle because the money may be used for new plastics I'll actually like.

It just sucks it's fueled by an unfunny meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's why I want them to do a new meme.

Where's my box of (Mad) Cats, CGL?