Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ah, that explains why there's a couple of random lines in the quest where the Dramaturge avoids using the word fetch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mordiceius posted:

And the wine was pre-lighthouse, right? At least that's where my brain remembers it being.

I remember being excited for Lighthouse and then having to go through nearly 2 hours of cutscenes before the raid unlocked.

Yep, before Ridorana!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yep, before Ridorana!

Despite my loathing for raid story, I didn't skip any cutscenes but I just remember thinking to myself "how the gently caress is this still going?"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sanguinia posted:

Kheris and Shamani extract themselves from the farce and return to Wineport. There, the Warrior of Light opts to make a gift to her friend of the second bottle of Lea Monde Valens on the condition that he properly lord it over that jerkwad who runs the place. I had hoped that I would be allowed to keep the final bottle, perhaps as a housing decoration, but Shamani has a much better idea.

I hope he'll be okay someday…

This is a sweet moment.

There is a fan theory that Drest's connection to this wine is not simply a matter of being a homeland special- to the point that he is suspected to be royal himself. After all, he says that his wife had a bottle every night, and we do know that Lente's Tears found a trove of thousands of bottles in the royal cellar alone. You would need that sort of stock at that rate.

That, in addition to the Postmoogle quests (Which I cannot find any record of being covered previously outside a brief mention of unlocking them, so:) wherein he is mockingly nicknamed "Dashing Drest," which is taken as mockery of his loss of social class.

Neat thought but hard to substantiate further.

quote:

Tanka is a poetic form similar to haiku. Both are the product of 20th-century efforts to modernize traditional Japanese culture. Waka short-form poetry, which used combinations of 5- and 7-syllable phrases and is associated with some of Japan's most famous historic literature like Murasaki Shikibu's Tale of Genji, became the basis for these two styles. Of the two, tanka is more versatile because haiku theoretically requires a reference to nature and a "cutting word," which shows that the poem's substance is divided into two independent but loosely related thoughts. Tanka has no such demands; its only formal requirements are an "upper phrase," of 5-7-5 syllables and a separate "lower phrase," of 7-7.

I suspect Sanguinia chose to pass over this, but I would like to take the nitpicker's fall and note that the sound unit counted within these poetic styles is not quite a syllable, though that is a reasonable equivalent for English use of the style. In short, it's closer to the number of hiragana characters used to write the line, and some of those characters do not make up a full syllable. To my understanding, the result is that an original-form Haiku will have fewer syllables per line, on average, than one would otherwise expect.

I do appreciate pointing out that there are requirements beyond the counting. It endlessly bothers me when people simply split a single 17 syllable sentence with a couple of line breaks and call it a haiku. It misses the point of the style.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The Greg reveal was one of my favorite moments in Stormblood. I yelled out loud when it happened.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Back when it was part of the story that was required to unlock the second wing of the Alliance Raid, arguably the most obnoxious thing about the wine diversion is how it's framed. Jenomis tells you that it's going to take time for them to research where they need to go next, and tells you to go find something else to do so that you're not getting in their way while they're figuring it out.

Then after you finally finish the whole runaround with the wine and return to him, he angrily tears into you about how you're holding everyone up by not being on hand the moment they finished their research. :v:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Zomborgon posted:

I suspect Sanguinia chose to pass over this, but I would like to take the nitpicker's fall and note that the sound unit counted within these poetic styles is not quite a syllable, though that is a reasonable equivalent for English use of the style. In short, it's closer to the number of hiragana characters used to write the line, and some of those characters do not make up a full syllable. To my understanding, the result is that an original-form Haiku will have fewer syllables per line, on average, than one would otherwise expect.

I thought about mentioning this, but I had like, zero wiggle room to get the post in at sub 50k characters :lol:

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I love Wine Fraud so much and I’m glad it was moved to a goofy independent sidequest series where it can be properly enjoyed by newcomers instead of being part of the marathon that is the actual alliance raid storyline. I do have to admire the inherent moxie of it, though; I remember hearing that much like the Wandering Dramaturge is a self-insert, the Company Belle is based on Matsuno’s actual wife, so he is genuinely taking a tangent to be a massive wife guy on main. I can’t hate it.

I’ll admit that I’m probably in the minority in terms of actually preferring the smaller scale, more personal story of Heavensward Hildibrand to Stormblood Hildibrand, although I can’t deny that it was all really loving funny. The reveal absolutely floored me, what a wild loving ride.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
God the Manderville questline is so good.

Don't forget also - when the Yojimbo / Greg reveal happens, it happens complete with Kabuki YoooOOOO, followed with further kabuki sounds throughout the fight!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

dyslexicfaser posted:

it kinda feels like Gegeruju character assassination.

You never need to give that little shite any credit.

Gegeruju posted:

F'lhaminn!? You mean to tell me the goddess made flesh who dwelt among us until so very recently was the Songstress of Ul'dah!? Egads, man/woman─if I had known that, I would’ve chained her to my bedpost and never let her leave!

Was it said in jest? Perhaps, but given his reputation…

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Greg is the most kabuki-coded character in the franchise. Of course he'd turn up in Kugane!

Rhonne posted:

The Greg reveal was one of my favorite moments in Stormblood. I yelled out loud when it happened.

ProfessorCirno posted:

God the Manderville questline is so good.

Don't forget also - when the Yojimbo / Greg reveal happens, it happens complete with Kabuki YoooOOOO, followed with further kabuki sounds throughout the fight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1vvtQI2exk

OhFunny posted:

The removal the other two side quests in the Ivalice series removes a little joke of your character growing to hate the word fetch.
There's another small joke removed with the loss of Wok on By, the second quest.
The last journal entry of In Bad Taste (the now final sidequest of the Ivalice raids, as chronicled in this update) reads:
Amazingly, the wandering dramaturge offers what, in some circles, might be considered an apology for having you straddle the Three Great Continents on his behalf. The end...?
The quest description of Wok on By, previously unlocked by completion of In Bad Taste, reads:
"Of course it was not the end. The company belle simply must have the final word."
Not really missing much else from the quest, though - she says that now that things have finally died down, her husband has another gift for you - further employment. And then you make some Hingan side dishes (or buy them off the market board) so that the Dramaturge has something more appropriate to go with his rice wine, and then pays you for your trouble and excuses you so he can eat in peace. Exciting fare.

dyslexicfaser posted:

I enjoyed the wine side quest for its goofiness and getting to see Shamani and Drest again, but it kinda feels like Gegeruju character assassination. Maybe he was always like this and just talked a good game about the failed farming project and the necessity of his resort and stuff? Bought it hook line and sinker, and from a landlord no less, smh...
May have brought this up before in the ARR part of the LP, and definitely once or twice in the other XIV threads, but, although it's never confirmed, there's a grimly amusing theory that Gegeruju made his fortune from reselling adventurer goods and/or claiming their abandoned coin in the wake of the Calamity. In 1.0, to sell things, you had to hire retainers who would physically stand around in the marketplaces and players would have to hit them up to access what was being sold. You couldn't design a custom retainer, though, you had to choose from a list of premade retainers. Each city-state had a unique list with several choices of each existing race/sex combo. One of Ul'dah's male Dunesfolk options was... Gegeruju.
A lot of NPCs got repurposed from the retainer list, actually - one seen earlier in this LP, even.

Sanguinia posted:

Chapter 49: The Free Market

The battle ends when Gatty expends enough aether to pass out, cutting off the demonic dinner bell. Mom, whose name is Sanche, is thankful but demands that we leave without her child. This is pretty upsetting to Slyphie, both because she's realized her healing is not powerful enough to fix whatever is affecting Sanche's heart and because she has no intention of taking Gatty anywhere. The girl may be a Padjal, but what's most important is stopping these Voidsent incursions before someone gets hurt.

Sanche had been on the Ul'dah list, too.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The funniest thing about the 'Jim is Greg' reveal is how transparently obvious it is. Even as far back as 4.0, doing Kugane Castle, Jim used the same moves Greg used in Battle in the Big Keep. It's the best reveal because you can look back at it and just go "son of a BITCH. The WHOLE TIME."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it's really obvious in retrospect with the little hints they drop you.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

Hogama posted:

May have brought this up before in the ARR part of the LP, and definitely once or twice in the other XIV threads, but, although it's never confirmed, there's a grimly amusing theory that Gegeruju made his fortune from reselling adventurer goods and/or claiming their abandoned coin in the wake of the Calamity. In 1.0, to sell things, you had to hire retainers who would physically stand around in the marketplaces and players would have to hit them up to access what was being sold. You couldn't design a custom retainer, though, you had to choose from a list of premade retainers. Each city-state had a unique list with several choices of each existing race/sex combo. One of Ul'dah's male Dunesfolk options was... Gegeruju.
A lot of NPCs got repurposed from the retainer list, actually - one seen earlier in this LP, even.

Sanche had been on the Ul'dah list, too.

I love this thread because every so often I will learn some completely insane bit of historical context to the game I had absolutely no idea about. This is completely wild.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Ran Rannerson posted:

I love this thread because every so often I will learn some completely insane bit of historical context to the game I had absolutely no idea about. This is completely wild.
This, 1oo%

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DoubleNegative posted:

The funniest thing about the 'Jim is Greg' reveal is how transparently obvious it is. Even as far back as 4.0, doing Kugane Castle, Jim used the same moves Greg used in Battle in the Big Keep. It's the best reveal because you can look back at it and just go "son of a BITCH. The WHOLE TIME."

I noticed this in retrospect, and in fact I think I wrote something like "he uses the dragon heads from the Gilgamesh fight," in the chapter, but I honestly think the music clue in the Golden Saucer is even more impressive.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ran Rannerson posted:

Didn't witness this in person but apparently the 1.0 catgirl retainer was unbelievably horny... anything to keep subs happy until 2.0 I suppose.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Feldegast42 posted:

Didn't witness this in person but apparently the 1.0 catgirl retainer was unbelievably horny... anything to keep subs happy until 2.0 I suppose.

you're thinking of the path companion, which was an npc that appeared alongside you during the main story

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was the catgirl path companion that was unbelievably horny. She had a lot of dialogue that was super innuendo laden.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Sanguinia posted:

With that, the curtain draws on the last piece of Stormblood side-content. The final chapter of the MSQ is all that remains.

There's actually one more sidequest--it starts at the bar in Mor Dhona, but you need to advance the MSQ a bit to unlock it. :eng101:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like seeing competent Hildibrand. We all know, of course, that he is a super strong, super durable, super genius Gentleman of Light, but it is nice to have that confirmed more often.

And, uh, yeah. I will freely admit this is the first time I am seeing the actual cutscenes of that wine quests, despite having done the Stormblood Alliance Raids while it was mandatory, because I was so exhausted from everything that as soon as I realized it was comic relief instead of anything important I skipped immediately.

And, yes, I am disappointed that Stormblood did not get an 'epilogue' quest like Heavensward did.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, if you haven't seen it in motion, the Miqo'te ladies are a lot funnier with the sound effects and the BGM cutting out/in when they're angry/paid.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
If this got mentioned I'm sorry for missing it but an interesting bit: "As Above, So Below" is the shortened form of a line from the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, the mythical founder of alchemy.

"That which is above is like to that which is below, and that which is below is like to that which is above."

If I recall correctly it's saying that the greater universe as a whole is reflected within our world and vice versa.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The wine quest was the only good part of the Ivalice story imo, understandable that some people skip it though given the quality of everything else.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm not the biggest Hildibrand fan, but the scene with the terribly somber suicide/execution in progress and Hildibrand interrupts it in total jackass fashion grinning and doing a stupid dance, just absolutely knocked me off my feet.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Stormblood was clearly his anime training arc, though.
He's really just improved his technique in all areas.

https://streamable.com/5x9xz

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This also gives me my out in regards to Godbert being a douchamaprick in the MSQ.

Clearly he was under the drug-based influence of this film-flammer during that whole bit!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sanguinia posted:

I noticed this in retrospect, and in fact I think I wrote something like "he uses the dragon heads from the Gilgamesh fight," in the chapter, but I honestly think the music clue in the Golden Saucer is even more impressive.

You'd be forgiven for that one because Battle on the Big Bridge is one of the most iconic Uematsu fight themes and gets a fair bit of use for it. Even the FF 15 version of Gilgamesh uses it, and he's not even the franchise world-hopping Exdeath mook that has spanned so many games. He's just a really really old guy who hits like a truck.

EDIT:
I appreciated that when everyone else was afraid of Evil Godbert, that the WoL was just mildly intrigued. I understand some people enjoy the otherworldly logic of Hildi, but if my character was cowering before a level 200 Goldsmith I would have had to shut the game off. Godbert's brief heel turn was also when I learned that you have to be careful with visual mods, because when he transcended the limits of his clothes I had not fine tuned my textool poo poo, so he was sporting a a very visible hawg in his drawers that further added to the lunacy of everything.

ConanThe3rd posted:

This also gives me my out in regards to Godbert being a douchamaprick in the MSQ.

Clearly he was under the drug-based influence of this film-flammer during that whole bit!

He is in-universe Santa, so I always sort of took that MSQ thing as him showing that he knows full well how people like Teledji think and operate. Nanamo has to walk a tightrope in front of people looking for every opportunity to push her off.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 2, 2024

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Zenos nearly got us twice. At that point being planted by Godbert is novel.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Considering Gilgamesh's shtick of travelling through various Final Fantasy games and there exists Yojimbo in some, Gilgamesh basically committed identity theft and fraud, especially if we see the actual Yojimbo down the line.

In fact, maybe the one in the Gold Saucer is the actual Yojimbo.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 2, 2024

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I didn't actually do the second wine quest until long after I had done Ivalice. I think I was running around looking for card battles when I decided to check the ship and there it was.

I kinda love it? It's funny as hell, the whole deal with our Evil Rich Lala giving an order and the two Miqote ladies just looming over him dangerously until he paid them had me in stitches.

as for Hildi... yeah SB Hildi's fantastic. Since I did his trial basically on release, the entire party chat exploded in "WHAT?!" It's an actually pretty difficult fight too if you don't know what you're doing. I think we wiped a couple of times.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

I'm pretty sure "Yojimbo" was added to the Golden Saucer in Shadowbringers, so that might be why they went with the obvious music because the secret was already out by then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the tiniest bit disappointed. It's not that I'm unhappy to see Gilgamesh again or anything, but making a character based on a fan-favorite summon from the famous FFX turn out to be an established character in disguise is one of those writing choices that feels like it shrinks the possibility space of the world rather than expanding it.

While I definitely understand where you're coming from, I have a personal theory that FFX's Yojimbo is also Gilgamesh in disguise. Largely because of some broad visual design similarities, the knowledge that no character named Gilgamesh appears in FFX despite him being reasonably common recurring cameo and reference, and the fact that the Aeon Yojimbo bears no resemblance to the Yojimbo generic enemy type from prior games in the series.

I'll admit this theory is a bit flimsy but I'm not the only one to have had it, judging by a gamefaqs post from over a decade ago.

So while FFXIV's Yojimbo turning out to be Gilgamesh is not necessarily a confirmation of this theory's validity, it's at least reassuring to know that someone writing for FFXIV might have also had a similar thought.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gilgameshing Time is definitely one of Stomblood's greatest achievements. It's honestly a bit surprising how many people were caught off guard by the reveal. I was, uh, one of them. And on the side, when it came out a handful of mentors on my server were pissed because they absolutely hated everything to do with the Hildy quests (insane, I know) and the introduction of Kugane Ohashi cut them off from mentor roulette until they did more Hildy. There were some pretty great rants in the novice network over it.

Hancock being Hancock and Gegeruju's very dangerous, yet well paid assistants made the detour in the middle of the Ivalice raids fun for me back when the wine quest was a required part of them. But I was probably in the minority on that one. Boy were people tired of words getting in the way of stabbing Lucavi.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Pyro Jack posted:

Considering Gilgamesh's shtick of travelling through various Final Fantasy games and there exists Yojimbo in some, Gilgamesh basically committed identity theft and fraud, especially if we see the actual Yojimbo down the line.

In fact, maybe the one in the Gold Saucer is the actual Yojimbo.
I feel like this is a good time to mention that Yojimbo is a fictional character.

Not just because he's from a videogame, but because the Fayth are very much not the summons they enable summoners to call forth. Bahamut is really a little kid in a hoodie, not a giant dragon, and Anima was Seymour's mom. Likewise, Yojimbo is probably some Zanarkandian's OC made real rather than an actual, real person.

So it's extremely possible that this was in fact copyright infringement and/or cosplay, considering that FF12 proves that Greg has in fact been to FFX since he has Brotherhood (or a copy of it).

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I love the reuse of Labraha's line in these quests, such an unexpected callback.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Actual Yojimbo looks like one of the Crusaders.

With the exception of Bahamut and Anima, the Aeons just have generic NPCs for their original selves.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Everything about the Fayth becomes kind of amazing when you realize they're necromantic ghost OCSonas.

And ah, SB Hildy. His genuinely bewildering stint of competence!

Costa del Sol becomes a lot funnier and sadder when you remember that all of Gegeruju's subservient fanservice maids and servants are presumably badass but traumatized Company of Heroes vets who can't entirely get over their trauma enough to return to adventuring.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yojimbo appeared in final fantasies prior to FFX, but he was just a normal enemy. The FFV and FFVI versions don’t look quite as flashy as the summon in FFX, though. They’re just generic samurai type enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
kind of hosed up that jim took his dog with him into the waking nightmare crystal prison