Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

two fish posted:

Now I'm curious: do schizophrenic people born deaf or blind experience auditory or visual hallucinations, respectively?

There are no known congenitally blind schizophrenics, and we should've found a few by now if that combination were possible. As for deaf people, read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

That is a very threatening image in that article, thank you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My typical experience with pizzeria menus is that they'll say, for example, "you can get a large cheese pizza for $17, additional toppings are $1 apiece unless they're fancy toppings which are $2 apiece"...and then say "or you can get a large pizza with eight different toppings, one of them fancy, for $18". How does that make sense?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My typical experience with pizzeria menus is that they'll say, for example, "you can get a large cheese pizza for $17, additional toppings are $1 apiece unless they're fancy toppings which are $2 apiece"...and then say "or you can get a large pizza with eight different toppings, one of them fancy, for $18". How does that make sense?

The presets are made often enough that the cooks are very quick at putting them on, they might even have the toppings already grouped. The custom builds take a few extra moments of thought to collect and arrange them properly.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Also, if they know that 20% of pizzas will have pepperoni on them, they can more accurately order in advance and probably get unit discounts on pepperoni (and sausage, mushroom, etc) from their supplier vs the much smaller order size for anchovies.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Fair enough, thanks. I wouldn't have thought that economies of scale would work out at that, uh, small of a scale.

New question: what is this?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

New question: what is this?

Looks like a cold milling machine.

https://www.wirtgen-group.com/ocs/en-us/wirtgen/w-210-fi-15747-p/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
ahh, so it's for resurfacing roads. Thanks!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If you find a good looking corpse on the side of the road but you don't want to bring the whole thing back home, say because it smells bad or you dont have a big enough container to transport it in, is it considered rude or otherwise unacceptable to just cut off and take the head but leave the rest?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I mean if you're cutting off parts of roadkill I think it would be considerate to throw it into the ditch or away from the road so that other people don't need to see it, and so that birds or other scavengers don't get hit by cars.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ah, yeah, thats actually a pretty good idea.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Assuming you're talking about roadkill to do taxidermy stuff with, it might be illegal depending on your state/country. In some US states, if the roadkill is an animal governed by hunting regs, you can't take it, or you need a hunting or roadkill tag to take it, some states you're technically supposed to call a game warden to come condone the taking in person, etc etc... otherwise it's considered poaching. In some states if a game warden so much as sees a deer head in your possession, they'd be able to ask you who shot it and during what year's season, and if it's fresh they would ask to see a tag.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Im up on the local legality bits but the regs didnt say anything about partial collection.

Edit: And I was mostly asking about whether it would bother people and got a good piece of advice on how to avoid that so I'm pretty happy. I've mostly been collecting the whole bodies but I saw a skunk today and as much as I would like a skunk skull I do not want to transport the rest of a skunk to my home, hah.

Theres a law before the state legislature to expand the animals I can collect which I hope passes but for now its mostly smaller stuff - stuff like deer needs to be reported before collection so I just dont bother with that

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 2, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Oh yeah that's probably a good point, lots of animals are protected legally in ways you might not expect. I think in most of America it's illegal to own a feather from a predatory bird regardless of how you got it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

GlyphGryph posted:

If you find a good looking corpse on the side of the road but you don't want to bring the whole thing back home, say because it smells bad or you dont have a big enough container to transport it in, is it considered rude or otherwise unacceptable to just cut off and take the head but leave the rest?

Please call the police if you find a corpse. Sexy or not. Do not bring the part you want to gently caress home and leave the rest.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Please call the police if you find a corpse. Sexy or not. Do not bring the part you want to gently caress home and leave the rest.

Narc

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a dedicated thread somewhere where goons help other goons find memes they vaguely remember?

I’m looking for a meme I saw a few years ago (probably during the George Floyd protests of 2020) that is like ‘what conservatives think anarchists do: blow stuff up and wear hoods and look scary/What anarchists actually do: spend 10 hours debating the meaning of the word ‘is’ and wear skinny jeans’ or something to that effect.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Flournival Dixon posted:

Oh yeah that's probably a good point, lots of animals are protected legally in ways you might not expect. I think in most of America it's illegal to own a feather from a predatory bird regardless of how you got it.

From any predatory bird? Because there are lots of birds and they have cool looking feathers, even though I'm desperately terrified to touch them because I learned as a child that they'll make you terribly ill

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Leave posted:

From any predatory bird? Because there are lots of birds and they have cool looking feathers, even though I'm desperately terrified to touch them because I learned as a child that they'll make you terribly ill

I think it's state by state regulation and indigenous people have an exemption but since they're so endangered there's a lot of laws to protect them pretty maximally.

I dunno how often you have conservation officers visiting your house and noticing your collection of found feathers, but it doesn't hurt to look up the rules for where you live.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The main regulation I'm aware of, mostly because it also is for Canada is the migratory bird act of 1918.

Theres a few other regs that cover other species but a lot of them are strict about any part of the animal. Generally are strict about it because you can't ask a feather if it was shed naturally or not.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Leave posted:

Not just predatory birds, any migratory bird of which the list is a little north of 1000 species

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a dedicated thread somewhere where goons help other goons find memes they vaguely remember?

I’m looking for a meme I saw a few years ago (probably during the George Floyd protests of 2020) that is like ‘what conservatives think anarchists do: blow stuff up and wear hoods and look scary/What anarchists actually do: spend 10 hours debating the meaning of the word ‘is’ and wear skinny jeans’ or something to that effect.

You could ask in the regular meme thread in PYF. Memes come and go pretty fast but there's a decent chance someone there will remember that one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I tried to black out the green plastic ring on this camera with a sharpie, but the ink immediately started coming off:

Any suggestions for something that won't wear off so easily?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nail polish?
A tube of acrylic paint?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Peteyfoot posted:

I tried to black out the green plastic ring on this camera with a sharpie, but the ink immediately started coming off:

Any suggestions for something that won't wear off so easily?

Look for spraypaints that are made for plastic*, but whatever you use (even sharpie) the key is going to cleaning and sanding the surface before painting.

*example. but most brands have a version of this

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Look for spraypaints that are made for plastic*, but whatever you use (even sharpie) the key is going to cleaning and sanding the surface before painting.

*example. but most brands have a version of this

Personally i would use something brushable rather than risk loving up the lens / rest of the camera with errant spray and imperfect taping. But yes, surface prep is important, even just scrubbing it up a little with a green scotchbrite pad should go a long way in helping with adhesion.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

e: quote/edit

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
ooo alright, thanks y'all. Excellent advice, I'll get to scrubbing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Came up in another thread, but why can't you grow cacao beans in the US? Is it a climate thing? Are greenhouses not effective for growing cacao beans?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
You can grow them in greenhouses but it's not economic. You could grow your own chocolate if you have a greenhouse and are able to keep the conditions good all year round but it's not a small plant and I can't imagine it'd be easy. The conditions for cocoa plants don't really exist naturally in the US, they need a ton of water and warm temperature all year and shelter from strong wind.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2024

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Seamus Blackley, inventor of the Xbox, grew some in a lab and made chocolate.

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1690547119629950976?t=1vcur1_I0bMh8b0fn6A7lw&s=19

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, when I become insanely rich, I have a project.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Iceland has a bunch of greenhouses and just harvested their first cacao https://www.icelandreview.com/nature-travel/icelands-first-cacao-fruit-made-into-chocolate/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do Lyft and Uber charge more for transporting a family vs. just yourself (for the same class of ride)? I tried finding this answer on their websites but was unsuccessful, which makes me suspicious.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Iceland has a bunch of greenhouses and just harvested their first cacao https://www.icelandreview.com/nature-travel/icelands-first-cacao-fruit-made-into-chocolate/

That was going to be my follow up question that I thought was silly!

For those who don't know, Iceland has basically free heating from geothermic energy/hot springs, and cheap power too. And their summers have like 20 hours of sun every day. With a bit of defiance of nature, it's extremely good for greenhouses.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BonHair posted:

That was going to be my follow up question that I thought was silly!

For those who don't know, Iceland has basically free heating from geothermic energy/hot springs, and cheap power too. And their summers have like 20 hours of sun every day. With a bit of defiance of nature, it's extremely good for greenhouses.

Greenhouses and aluminum smelters.

In 20 years countries with volcanoes are probably going to be exporting desalinated water to the rest of us chumps.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hooah posted:

Do Lyft and Uber charge more for transporting a family vs. just yourself (for the same class of ride)? I tried finding this answer on their websites but was unsuccessful, which makes me suspicious.

They don't charge by number of riders, but if you need a larger car you'll pay more for that.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
In star trek when spaceships meet how come one isn't upside down or at some angle, why are they all the same way up?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
because it looks better on camera that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Some flat earthers argue that Star Trek is actually about submarines so that’s why. It’s a secret code about the nature of the universe.