Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Ask at a local shop or trail management group imo, different trails can be ridden in different conditions. Generally for softer dirt if you're leaving a noticable tire track/shallow rut it's too soft as it'll dry hard and lumpy, but you might be able to ride it if it's frozen hard but not wet. Some stuff has a hard substrate and drains well and can be ridden in full wet sloppy conditions, really depends on what kind of surface it is and the local etiquette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
I’ll just take a peek at the trails today and see if folks are keeping two tires to the path.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Edit: beat, never mind

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
I put ten toes to the path and it’s basically unridable atm. There is still a thick snow. Sad!

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Well I went to a different smaller somehow park and the snow was somehow not as pad and the ground was pretty packed frozen. Went back home and started to get the ripmo ready to ride. Basically just needed air in the tires. Checked the shock and was right as rain. But what an ordeal the process of getting out to ride was. Get the helmet, put on the pads, put on the POC MTB pants, put on gloves, put keys in backpack, lose the keys get to the car, take off the gloves to have the dexterity to operate the bike rack, move the bike there, get to the spot, take off the bike, put on gloves, put on helmet, remove gloves to have dexterity for the stupid D ring. Mama Mia. Start of season stutters much? But once on the trail the ripmo rode right as rain. Prob had a ridge too much pressure (30 psi a bit much) but it ate up the trails and is absolutely huge. Had been riding my commuter and forgot what an absolute monster this little number could be.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Scrapez posted:

Doing a bit of an experiment with my Mega 290 enduro bike. I mainly ride gravity jump lines but there are some really cool XCish singletrack trails that I'd also like to ride. I really don't want to buy a dedicated XC bike for that so I found a set of Stans wheels on marketplace that are 26mm internal width, added an SLX cassette and rotors and threw on some Continental Race King 29x2.2 XC tires.

The result? Dropped almost 3 pounds compared to the Nukeproof Horizon wheels with Maxxis Assegai/DHR II tires!

I've only just tested it on the street in front of my house but man does it roll a ton faster and feels light. I'll get out tomorrow on some singletrack that I've ridden with the rear end/DHR II combo to see how it compares. I can switch the other wheels/tires back on when I'm riding gravity/chunky stuff. I know it isn't going to ride like an XC bike but hoping it works reasonably well.

Anyone done similar with a trail or enduro bike?

My goodness the bike is scary fast with the XC tires. Having to use brakes in places I never have to keep from overjumping jumps. Crushed PR by over 6 seconds without even trying on a dual slalom trail I've ridden hundreds of times.

Uphill sections are so much easier as well. Really liking these tires for hardpack jump lines and dry conditions.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

devmd01 posted:

Appreciate all the discussion around what would be suitable for adventure racing, my daughter and I are planning to do a sprint length event spring of ‘25. I don’t have anything suitable for trails and she has a wal-mart special so picking up two bikes is on the list for this year.

The 4 or 6 hour races with D.I.N.O. are a good way to get started with adventure racing. I did the Mission 4hr and I think a CIA 4 hr as well before I did a longer one. Your bike doesn't need to be anything too fancy for those, but it would be good to have something from a reputable bike company so you don't end up hating the experience. Maybe I should start a thread for Orienteering (I do a lot of that) and Adventure Racing? I thought about it before but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested.

devmd01 posted:

Definitely going to have to check out Griffin park, it’s an hour and a half away. Same with brown county state park, I’ve done plenty of hiking/camping/trail running there but never mountain biked.

It was pretty cool and had quite a bit to explore for all skill levels. I'm in Louisville and I've seen people talk about O'Bannon Woods State Park a lot and really want to give it a try sometime. I have been to Brown County but haven't ridden any trials there, but I'd like to get over there again.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 11, 2024

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Brown county is pretty good. Definitely recommend checking it out.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Scrapez posted:

My goodness the bike is scary fast with the XC tires. Having to use brakes in places I never have to keep from overjumping jumps. Crushed PR by over 6 seconds without even trying on a dual slalom trail I've ridden hundreds of times.

Uphill sections are so much easier as well. Really liking these tires for hardpack jump lines and dry conditions.

i feel like this is kinda the logical result of ever bigger and fatter wheels and tires. eventually everything is so chonk that riding non-XBOX tires feels like effortless flying

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Cactus Ghost posted:

i feel like this is kinda the logical result of ever bigger and fatter wheels and tires. eventually everything is so chonk that riding non-XBOX tires feels like effortless flying

The original tyres are probably 2.5F/2.4R, which is a totally normal width. Original casing (DD), compound (MaxxGrip/MaxTerra?), and tread (Assegai/DHR2) are all super slow rolling though.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
For a gripper combo without going that far I’ve really been enjoying DHF/New Forekaster.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

My bike was feeling sluggish with a dhr2 in the back and I recently swapped it for a v1 Forekaster. It's definitely faster up and down but keeps things exciting and slips a bit. I spend most of the time climbing so it's worth it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Costco just dropped the price on the Intense 951 XC to $1800.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

in a well actually posted:

Costco just dropped the price on the Intense 951 XC to $1800.

The trail carbon (with fox suspension) is $1999 as well!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think I've fallen into a snob fallacy, but I can't find myself getting hyped up about a $2k carbon MTB with NX. Felt myself going down a rabbit hole of groupset upgrade costs and had to rein myself in.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I think I've fallen into a snob fallacy, but I can't find myself getting hyped up about a $2k carbon MTB with NX. Felt myself going down a rabbit hole of groupset upgrade costs and had to rein myself in.

I'm with you, though. I feel like that bike should be GX across the board even if it increases the price a couple hundred.

I ended up finding a Nukeproof Scout 290 Elite on marketplace and picking it up. Basically brand new as the owner is a YouTuber and only used it in a hardtail comparison video. SLX spec bike. I really like it.

I got a set of Stans wheels used that are 25mm internal width and put 2.25" Continental Race Kings on them. Added an SLX cassette and 203mm rotor and put them on the Scout. It's not light at 29 pounds but does surprisingly good on XC style trails. My plan is to use it for XC/gravel/training and have the ability to swap back on the DT Swiss wheelset with Knobby Nic/Magic Mary for gnarlier trail riding. Also added an Absolute Black 32t oval chainring to get more top end on the Scout for gravel type riding.

Meanwhile, I've put the DT Swiss wheelset on my Mega as the Assagai/DHR II combo was so slow. I have the ability to switch the Nukeproof wheels back onto that for actual enduro riding.

TL;DR: Bought a Nukeproof Scout for XCish/gravel riding and another wheelset to allow swaps on bikes for different riding.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

i mean nx is pretty blah, but on the other hand drivetrain is by far the least important system of a mountain bike. As long as its good enough, upgrade dollars make a wayyy bigger difference spent any other way. Suspension, brakes, wheels, especially tires, literally every part of a mtb is more important than the drivetrain, as long as the drivetrain is like deore level. And not to mention that drivetrain is essentially a consumable to some extent.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm happy with NX mostly because replacements for stuff I break are extremely cheap vs a nicer groupset I'd worry more about banging up. Needed a new casette and it was a whole $90

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Some bits are worth upgrading, like cassettes for weight savings or chains for longevity.

Not looking it up because :effort: but a higher end cassette can have substantial weight savings, and iirc a X01 chain lasts much longer than a GX/NX chain.

NX shifters work well enough and are the lightest of the bunch. Cranks? Who cares

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 28, 2024

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I have used alloy and carbon wheels and think drivetrain is more important than which wheel material you're using.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mid tier drive train components are much closer to top end than mid wheels are to top wheels (of either material). If I had to pick, I'd get better wheels with a lower tier drive train than vice versa.

On the low end it's the opposite though. If I had to go bottom tier of one it'd be wheels with slightly better drive train.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

costco probably sells bikes mostly targeted at "clueless rich person present-shopping for grandkid" and "clueless rich person making impulse buy" more than "current value-minded mtb enthusiast". the cheapest thing that doesn't suck is probably all they care about

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bottom Liner posted:

Mid tier drive train components are much closer to top end than mid wheels are to top wheels (of either material). If I had to pick, I'd get better wheels with a lower tier drive train than vice versa.

On the low end it's the opposite though. If I had to go bottom tier of one it'd be wheels with slightly better drive train.

Out of curiosity, when you compare wheel quality are you looking more at the hubs specced or the rim itself? I do really appreciate quality hubs that are easy to maintain with decent to good engagement for MTB. 350s have been the sweet spot for me and I have had 4 sets of Reserve rims that have all been pretty great too. Comfortable and have been durable. I do think if you go carbon wheels, make sure you’re ok with the warranty if you’re worried about them breaking.

In drivetrains, I think GX and SLX are the sweet spots respectively. Good balance between cost, weight, and most of the higher end feel.

Best groupset I’ve probably ever used, albeit briefly, was mechanical XTR. It felt so good sad
It’s so expensive.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

3/4 bikes in the house are running on GX derailleurs and as soon as the spouse kills the NX on her fancy new e-bike (and she will, trust me) that one's getting a GX upgrade as well. I did my level best to kill the one on my Spark over five years and only just replaced it this year because I got tired of constantly fiddling with the fine adjustments to keep it in tune. It had multiple scars on it from rock strikes and outlasted two derailleur hangars. I probably should have asked for the carcass to mount on my wall, but alas, did not think of that in time before it went into the scrapper's bin.

My primary bike was down for the weekend so I rode my backup (2020 Scott Scale 970) on Saturday and Sunday and came back with the following notes:
- I mis-set the seat post height when I installed a dropper post (since fixed)
- I really need to adjust the fork pressure and rebound (also fixed)
- I really miss the DT Swiss 350 54t hub on my primary bike
- resin pads and wet conditions are bad combination

We ran into some pretty awful trail conditions on Sunday afternoon that had my bike trying to skid sideways while the front tire washed out and the wet brakes were just kinda along for the ride so that was fun. I wasn't the only one experiencing what we'll call 'limited control', but no one crashed and we all made it back to the trailhead in one piece so no harm no foul, just a few more gray hairs amongst us.

And now I'm in discussions with the local bike shop regarding either upgrading the existing wheel with a 350 or 370 hub or getting an entire wheel + hub combo from a supplier, whichever makes more sense. I'm telling myself that this is all in the name of providing quality education to the team riders that you can have a very fast, fun and capable hardtail. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 29, 2024

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

12sp NX is the only shifter I've legitimately broken JRA, rather than through crashing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I should be losing derailleurs/hangers from carelessness around branches, both riding through them and hoisting the bike over deadfall.

Haven’t yet, though. knock on wood

Yesterday I had a twig get caught in the derrailleur cage and rub against the spokes. Happened while coasting at low speed though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I have seen that you can swap in the xx1 b-bolt kit on the nx and it improves quite a bit. That said, at my skill level and intensity, nx is fine.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

in a well actually posted:

I have seen that you can swap in the xx1 b-bolt kit on the nx and it improves quite a bit. That said, at my skill level and intensity, nx is fine.

I did this swap and it tightens things up a lot. Really nice mod. I wanted the gold bolt but they were never in stock when I was wanting to do the thing :(

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Went out last night in absolutely soaking and muddy conditions and it was hilarious fun. Wearing a waterproof onesie and waterproof socks makes the wet 1000% more manageable!

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Folks say the Costco intended are like 2010 geometry. Any truth to this?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Maudib Arakkis posted:

66 degree HTA is pretty modern for XC/trail. A 73 degree seat tube is kinda slack though.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Not at all.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I put a 32t oval chainring on my hardtail to get a bit more top speed to hopefully help with gravel riding.

I rode some singletrack today and I did feel like climbing was improved with the oval. Perhaps just placebo effect but seemed to be easier to get quick bursts for uphill tech features.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Scrapez posted:

Not at all.

Yeah; the XC'a dimensions are not too far off from a friend's Santa Cruz Tallboy, afaik.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Probably a really dumb question (sorry) but how do you pedal with the seat post slammed down like that?

Asking because I’m just getting confident enough to go on trails that have steepish drops so I can’t get away with riding with the seat parallel to my handlebars anymore. Having the seat post down makes the drops feel much more secure/less stressful but my legs feel super cramped trying to pedal with the seat in that position.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

Probably a really dumb question (sorry) but how do you pedal with the seat post slammed down like that?

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/blogs/news/what-is-a-dropper-post

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Potentially a dumb answer, but you don’t pedal like that. You use a dropper seatpost. Hit a lever on the handlebars and the saddle sinks for descents or dismounts.

Stand on the pedals and hit the lever and it rises back to prime pedalling height.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You don't have to have a dropper, either, it just makes it much more convenient. Back in the old days, we would use quick-release seat clamps and take a quick break at the top of the hill and drop the seat before big descents. And then stop and put it back up at the bottom.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

They're so good that they're essentially ubiquitous at this point. I would not own any kind of mtb without one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

They're so good that they're essentially ubiquitous at this point. I would not own any kind of mtb without one

DH bike?