Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ESDK posted:

Let the Sukhois hit the floor!

hmm, you are right. An F-16 could take down many paper airplanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

craig feguson rules

He was the best, but the endless starlettes flirting with him must have been torture.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

*Another* one downed, apparently:

https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/2-march-ukrainian-air-forces-claim-shooting-down-another

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

He was the best, but the endless starlettes flirting with him must have been torture.

dude loving hated it

wit
Jul 26, 2011

I honestly don't believe either side completely. Russia should just start showing the footage in reverse and say they can now build planes in the sky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wit posted:

I honestly don't believe either side completely. Russia should just start showing the footage in reverse and say they can now build planes in the sky.

Slaughterhouse blyat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wit posted:

how does that work?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

wit posted:

I absolutely believe that fighter planes without AWACS coverage in the SAM theater on the planet are getting shot down

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how does that work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg

(And yes, being an EDS customer felt like being a passenger on that plane.)

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 2, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zopotantor posted:

lol

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Zopotantor posted:

As a former Electronic Data Systems employee who had to actually help build that goddamn plane, I sympathize.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I got real confused as EDS to me means Ehlers Danlos syndrome and I was wondering what my very likely cause of death had to do with Ukraine

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got real confused as EDS to me means Ehlers Danlos syndrome and I was wondering what my very likely cause of death had to do with Ukraine

*Looks up thing* Yeah but on the other hand you have rich corinthian leather smooth, velvety skin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Monica Bellucci posted:

*Looks up thing* Yeah but on the other hand you have rich corinthian leather smooth, velvety skin.

And my toes have enough bend that I can use my feet as hands like a monkey.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
...Only Fans?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They put Ukraine as you crane so I have to imagine they did speech to text, which means that somewhere a really sweaty nerd had a whole speech with himself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The war in my mind is becoming grim. Aid is slowing down and overall Russia may be able to sustain its current ground equipment losses for another 2 years at Max. But the question is will you crane without high levels of western support be able to do the same? Now overall tanks and planes are great but guns and ammunition and anti-tank weapons are far more important to speeding up the process of equipment drought on the Russian side.

I've been talking about this for a while, and I'm sure I've said it multiple times but overall Putin's main objective in this war is to open the ability to have other fronts for more conquests. Putin before the war believed that the sparking of the war would crack the west's ability to fight against Putin. Now that was wrong, but the hands of time have continued to move forward and with that of changing landscape. If Russia continues to lose its equipment for the next year, it will still have enough to take over a country like Kazakhstan. And it will have one of the more experienced armies in the world cobble together from the veterans of the Ukraine war. Now broadly speaking Russia will and continue to lose shitloads of troops in this thing, but having a 20 or 30 or 100,000 crack troops who have been in combat for a years at this point, will be a pretty big seller when invading countries with very small militaries. Kazakhstan is an example of this has a military the size of 54,000, ish. So with 100,000 or so troops that are extremely effective, especially with Wagner commanders marshalling them, you have a force that outnumber is the kazakhs 2 to 1 and that's not counting any of the other Russian military forces.

Well I don't want to debate the specifics of a Russian invasion of Kazakhstan, I'm using that as an example of the other peers Russia has. I'm not stating that they're going to do this just yet. However they are refiring up transnistrian annexation, which has its own set of scary implications for the region overall. Especially Moldova, I really doubt that Moldova is going to stand up to the Russian military. I'm not talking about the one stationed inside of transnistria.

This is a terrifying time in the history of the east. And with Putin at the helm potentially we could see many countries falling under a Russian imperial control once again.

Let's take a quick comparison to Nazi Germany, who had a fair level of industrial capacity prior to taking Czechoslovakia Poland, Austria. And those countries had okay but not great industrial capacity themselves. Now imagine that becomes one country. We are in a similar situation now where Russia has somewhat okay industrial capacity and enough to continue their war effort but their civilian goods markets suffer greatly from the war actually needing production capacity to be conducted. I mean most of Russia's wars really haven't needed them to pump a ton of equipment out because the war is end so quickly. Of course that industrial capacity for war was created by the need for Soviet defense. And Russia of course inherited this.

Now I start to wonder what Putin's initial goals were, I do believe he believed the war would and in a few days. I don't think however the war is a complete loss to him either way. Even if he has to agree to another ceasefire in Ukraine he now has a military with a lot less smart gear but a lot more experience. I've spoken about China enveloping Russia in its industrial capabilities, and I believe that lack of smart gear domestically produced in Russia will encourage this further. Mostly in the consumer markets as well, which is already been seen pretty clearly.

Is this really xi jinping? Is this a master plan by the PRC to essentially grind down the western capability for war by aiding Russia and its ability to conduct those wars, and also allow it to bulk up its industrial and manufacturing capabilities? I mean someone is going to have to rebuild the refineries Ukraine's blowing up, and the oil depots and the industrial factories. I mean somebody is going to have to recreate these things. We can't just accept that they're never going to come back unless of course the nuclear option happens which is a civil war in Russia. Now if that happens that's a wild card and a lot loving changes really loving quick so some of this may not make sense later if Gerasimov launches a coup.

Overall it is interesting to contemplate that, that this is just a master stroke partly xi jinping to essentially challenge the west without putting itself in the crosshairs of western equipment. An isolationist US would allow China to do a lot more in the Pacific. To say it plainly. I think time is going to tell as always, but we are at a strange and pass in history and the story and situation is developing now that it feels like we could be in the final phases of the war. And I am grimmed by the idea of that as it will essentially change the world as a whole. It's not Russia that Russia cares about, it's the decadent west and getting little pieces of it for itself.

Ukraine at this point needs to spend a heavy amount of time reinforcing its positions. It does sound like the new head of the military is spending that time. And understands this. The prior commander did not spend an ample amount of time creating fortifications or secondary lines etc. I mean Russia's really loving good at it let's not bullshit on that they are extremely good at creating ramparts. I mean they have so much experience in their military techniques. I mean these guys fought the loving Nazis, those things are written down in books those strategies are written down. I mean I'm not saying it's the same war, but if you ground down the Nazi machine in 1944 that knowledge is never going to go away. The capability to protect areas is not going to go away. Mistakes have been made and the military capacity overall is very sheepish and very corrupt but there are stars in the Russian military just like any other military on the planet. It may be a few guys but they do exist.

Those guys are people like сурвикин who created the ramparts Russia attests to its resistance of the Ukrainian counter attack. They had four lines with other defenses between those that were extremely difficult to counteract. Because each one supports each other, you crane for the most part has a little bit of that but not as much as it's really needed and part of that is probably a lust for territory on the commander's part. And in that lust a lack of defensive networks were created. In localized defenses they absolutely exist because they're just natural to occur but on a wide scale there needs to be a larger and more complex defensive network to protect and protract the resistance of the occupiers.

What I do see on the Ukraine side which can be a huge determiner is the massive drone influx that is blowing Russian infrastructure up. Of course they need to hit more things and unfortunately the civilian population of Russia is the only thing that's actually going to change the face of this war at this point. There needs to be a hinge point that causes the Russian civilians to rise up in droves. Because my initial theory was that Russian desertion would cause large scale banditry to start occurring. But that didn't happen instead they just murder people inside their houses. I am sure there was a temporary uptick in banditry when Wagner was marching on the capital as the Russian military inside of Russia was a little distracted and overall the response to that really showed what Ukraine could do if they were actually able to invade Russia. Because it would be a loving poo poo show for Russia. That was only like what 10, 000 - 20,000 dudes? Imagine 100,000 combined arms Ukrainian soldiers pushing into Russia, it would be a loving poo poo show and honestly Moscow might be under siege within a few days. That's loving crazy to think about, that that is the level of weak the Russian Ukrainian border is. I mean this is all just bullshiting at this point, but the situation appears grim and will continue to be gram until western aid gets unlocked. If it does the situation could go back to more than a little stalemate. I mean with the a50 is getting smoked and Russia losing a billion dollars in jets in the last day, and like new jets not old jets. Like the newest Jets and the most highly sought after prizes like the a50 are absolutely going to be ruin us to Russia's ability to conduct air campaigns, even admitting that they are not going to be able to cover Crimea in anti-air radar at all times. I mean that's a death blow if it can be followed up with a decapitation.

Sir

This is a Westys

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, OK, we’ll add collapsible quotes to Awful.app

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

this might be the best post i have seen in 10 years.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1764082110791340485#m
:dukedog:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://x.com/astraiaintel/status/1764006671120994804?s=20

So if this is the case, I feel like it's the end of the Battle of Britain phase of the war. They just stop coming one day and the movie ends on a triumphant music note. It's not the end of the beginning, but it's a turning point on how things go.

I expect they'll be a movie about it one day. Act 1: The Ghost of Kyiv. Act 2: Techies and SAM operators get Franksam's working while we have Special Forces take out Russian Radar sites for the big action scenes. Act 3: F16 Death Star Trench run on that stupid bloody bridge taken out by pilot who was mentored by the Ghost of Kyiv.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Comstar posted:

https://x.com/astraiaintel/status/1764006671120994804?s=20

So if this is the case, I feel like it's the end of the Battle of Britain phase of the war. They just stop coming one day and the movie ends on a triumphant music note. It's not the end of the beginning, but it's a turning point on how things go.

I expect they'll be a movie about it one day. Act 1: The Ghost of Kyiv. Act 2: Techies and SAM operators get Franksam's working while we have Special Forces take out Russian Radar sites for the big action scenes. Act 3: F16 Death Star Trench run on that stupid bloody bridge taken out by pilot who was mentored by the Ghost of Kyiv.

I mean how much of a working air force does russia have, like didnt they lose ALOT of planes from strikes on airbases and such? the bigger issue is artillary and russia has alot of dumb artillary.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean how much of a working air force does russia have, like didnt they lose ALOT of planes from strikes on airbases and such? the bigger issue is artillary and russia has alot of dumb artillary.

According to Wikipedia, they had 150 Su-34s at the start of the war. They'd lost 24 as of January, and roughly another dozen since then according to reports.

That's about 25% of their inventory.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

According to Wikipedia, they had 150 Su-34s at the start of the war. They'd lost 24 as of January, and roughly another dozen since then according to reports.

sure but how many got blown up on the tarmac or crashes or etc.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

it's been two years? What do they have now?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Even if half their SU-34 inventory is destroyed, thats still significantly more airplanes of one model than the vast majority of countries have in the entirety of their air force, hell that puts them fairly close to the knownish numbers of the Ukrainian airforce.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Telsa Cola posted:

Even if half their SU-34 inventory is destroyed, thats still significantly more airplanes of one model than the vast majority of countries have in the entirety of their air force, hell that puts them fairly close to the knownish numbers of the Ukrainian airforce.

Except after sanctions/corruption only about half of those remaining are airworthy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DandyLion posted:

Except after sanctions/corruption only about half of those remaining are airworthy.

that is why russia is losing this war

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

DandyLion posted:

Sure. But thats still a significant amount of airframes. It's not anywhere near what they should be fielding, but its a lot by most standards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I am more curious what putins plan is, like yeah stupid revenist russian history bullshit. but like i dont think he has the streanth to take kyiv again much less the rest of the country. if he had any brains, he would hold what he has and then try to sue for some sort of peace bullshit and hope trump and or europian nazis/tankies win elections so he can try to rebuild. but like russian can't currently win the war at least in the way putin and dugin want.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am more curious what putins plan is, like yeah stupid revenist russian history bullshit. but like i dont think he has the streanth to take kyiv again much less the rest of the country. if he had any brains, he would hold what he has and then try to sue for some sort of peace bullshit and hope trump and or europian nazis/tankies win elections so he can try to rebuild. but like russian can't currently win the war at least in the way putin and dugin want.

he just wants to make people believe that life in Russia is better than life in the west.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Life in Russia is fantastic and looking better every date if you absolutely hate seeing military age males and despise modern high tech industry. A paradise, really.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If I were the leader of Russia I'd work on making my people really nice and chill so they can be invited to move to nicer places and turn the place into a national park.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The war in my mind is becoming grim. Aid is slowing down and overall Russia may be able to sustain its current ground equipment losses for another 2 years at Max. But the question is will you crane without high levels of western support be able to do the same? Now overall tanks and planes are great but guns and ammunition and anti-tank weapons are far more important to speeding up the process of equipment drought on the Russian side.

I've been talking about this for a while, and I'm sure I've said it multiple times but overall Putin's main objective in this war is to open the ability to have other fronts for more conquests. Putin before the war believed that the sparking of the war would crack the west's ability to fight against Putin. Now that was wrong, but the hands of time have continued to move forward and with that of changing landscape. If Russia continues to lose its equipment for the next year, it will still have enough to take over a country like Kazakhstan. And it will have one of the more experienced armies in the world cobble together from the veterans of the Ukraine war. Now broadly speaking Russia will and continue to lose shitloads of troops in this thing, but having a 20 or 30 or 100,000 crack troops who have been in combat for a years at this point, will be a pretty big seller when invading countries with very small militaries. Kazakhstan is an example of this has a military the size of 54,000, ish. So with 100,000 or so troops that are extremely effective, especially with Wagner commanders marshalling them, you have a force that outnumber is the kazakhs 2 to 1 and that's not counting any of the other Russian military forces.

Well I don't want to debate the specifics of a Russian invasion of Kazakhstan, I'm using that as an example of the other peers Russia has. I'm not stating that they're going to do this just yet. However they are refiring up transnistrian annexation, which has its own set of scary implications for the region overall. Especially Moldova, I really doubt that Moldova is going to stand up to the Russian military. I'm not talking about the one stationed inside of transnistria.

This is a terrifying time in the history of the east. And with Putin at the helm potentially we could see many countries falling under a Russian imperial control once again.

Let's take a quick comparison to Nazi Germany, who had a fair level of industrial capacity prior to taking Czechoslovakia Poland, Austria. And those countries had okay but not great industrial capacity themselves. Now imagine that becomes one country. We are in a similar situation now where Russia has somewhat okay industrial capacity and enough to continue their war effort but their civilian goods markets suffer greatly from the war actually needing production capacity to be conducted. I mean most of Russia's wars really haven't needed them to pump a ton of equipment out because the war is end so quickly. Of course that industrial capacity for war was created by the need for Soviet defense. And Russia of course inherited this.

Now I start to wonder what Putin's initial goals were, I do believe he believed the war would and in a few days. I don't think however the war is a complete loss to him either way. Even if he has to agree to another ceasefire in Ukraine he now has a military with a lot less smart gear but a lot more experience. I've spoken about China enveloping Russia in its industrial capabilities, and I believe that lack of smart gear domestically produced in Russia will encourage this further. Mostly in the consumer markets as well, which is already been seen pretty clearly.

Is this really xi jinping? Is this a master plan by the PRC to essentially grind down the western capability for war by aiding Russia and its ability to conduct those wars, and also allow it to bulk up its industrial and manufacturing capabilities? I mean someone is going to have to rebuild the refineries Ukraine's blowing up, and the oil depots and the industrial factories. I mean somebody is going to have to recreate these things. We can't just accept that they're never going to come back unless of course the nuclear option happens which is a civil war in Russia. Now if that happens that's a wild card and a lot loving changes really loving quick so some of this may not make sense later if Gerasimov launches a coup.

Overall it is interesting to contemplate that, that this is just a master stroke partly xi jinping to essentially challenge the west without putting itself in the crosshairs of western equipment. An isolationist US would allow China to do a lot more in the Pacific. To say it plainly. I think time is going to tell as always, but we are at a strange and pass in history and the story and situation is developing now that it feels like we could be in the final phases of the war. And I am grimmed by the idea of that as it will essentially change the world as a whole. It's not Russia that Russia cares about, it's the decadent west and getting little pieces of it for itself.

Ukraine at this point needs to spend a heavy amount of time reinforcing its positions. It does sound like the new head of the military is spending that time. And understands this. The prior commander did not spend an ample amount of time creating fortifications or secondary lines etc. I mean Russia's really loving good at it let's not bullshit on that they are extremely good at creating ramparts. I mean they have so much experience in their military techniques. I mean these guys fought the loving Nazis, those things are written down in books those strategies are written down. I mean I'm not saying it's the same war, but if you ground down the Nazi machine in 1944 that knowledge is never going to go away. The capability to protect areas is not going to go away. Mistakes have been made and the military capacity overall is very sheepish and very corrupt but there are stars in the Russian military just like any other military on the planet. It may be a few guys but they do exist.

Those guys are people like сурвикин who created the ramparts Russia attests to its resistance of the Ukrainian counter attack. They had four lines with other defenses between those that were extremely difficult to counteract. Because each one supports each other, you crane for the most part has a little bit of that but not as much as it's really needed and part of that is probably a lust for territory on the commander's part. And in that lust a lack of defensive networks were created. In localized defenses they absolutely exist because they're just natural to occur but on a wide scale there needs to be a larger and more complex defensive network to protect and protract the resistance of the occupiers.

What I do see on the Ukraine side which can be a huge determiner is the massive drone influx that is blowing Russian infrastructure up. Of course they need to hit more things and unfortunately the civilian population of Russia is the only thing that's actually going to change the face of this war at this point. There needs to be a hinge point that causes the Russian civilians to rise up in droves. Because my initial theory was that Russian desertion would cause large scale banditry to start occurring. But that didn't happen instead they just murder people inside their houses. I am sure there was a temporary uptick in banditry when Wagner was marching on the capital as the Russian military inside of Russia was a little distracted and overall the response to that really showed what Ukraine could do if they were actually able to invade Russia. Because it would be a loving poo poo show for Russia. That was only like what 10, 000 - 20,000 dudes? Imagine 100,000 combined arms Ukrainian soldiers pushing into Russia, it would be a loving poo poo show and honestly Moscow might be under siege within a few days. That's loving crazy to think about, that that is the level of weak the Russian Ukrainian border is. I mean this is all just bullshiting at this point, but the situation appears grim and will continue to be gram until western aid gets unlocked. If it does the situation could go back to more than a little stalemate. I mean with the a50 is getting smoked and Russia losing a billion dollars in jets in the last day, and like new jets not old jets. Like the newest Jets and the most highly sought after prizes like the a50 are absolutely going to be ruin us to Russia's ability to conduct air campaigns, even admitting that they are not going to be able to cover Crimea in anti-air radar at all times. I mean that's a death blow if it can be followed up with a decapitation.

I don"t know what caused you to write this sheet. But I am right in the middle of it, I am terrified and NOTHING will cause russians to rise up against putin and his security machine except for some truly extraordinary circumstances.

Their protest potential as pityful as it was is already spent. They just roll with it. Even if they disagreed with cause for this war, dont like putin, many feel that losing this war will screw them over harder than "winning" it whatever winning even means.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhTzxfaPEI
lol

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Russia also can't lose anytime soon. They've built the largest minefields ever created, and Ukraine doesnt have the material to breakout. He can drag this out for decades, although dude is 71 so there's a very finite amount of time he personally can invest in this.

As to what his plan is specifically, It seems like he's willing to wait out Western support and grind the entire country into rubble. This says Russia is building 100 tanks a month, and losing 12 a week Will it work? IMO probably not, but it won't be decided anytime soon.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Yeah, Putin has like max 30 more years in him to keep at this.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

Russia also can't lose anytime soon. They've built the largest minefields ever created, and Ukraine doesnt have the material to breakout. He can drag this out for decades, although dude is 71 so there's a very finite amount of time he personally can invest in this.

As to what his plan is specifically, It seems like he's willing to wait out Western support and grind the entire country into rubble. This says Russia is building 100 tanks a month, and losing 12 a week Will it work? IMO probably not, but it won't be decided anytime soon.

I can also put some cardboard on Toyotas and call them tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vampire Panties posted:

That's fortunately incorrect. Russia is depleting it's stock of vehicles and could be out in the next two years. 40% Of the GDP is partially sustaining their losses and much is offset by refit or pulled out of storage stuff. They cannot conduct this war forever just because there's minefields.