Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Samovar posted:

Blueberry

Holy poo poo Crowe let them have it, right in the hearts. What a badass. :allears:

... And I saw that :sickos: in the next page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 14, 1962)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

Much like many other things A3G was also screwed up by the CK changes. They went back to the last Bolle Sunday, and then restarted the reruns somewhere I'm guessing in the 80s/90s. But the archive goes way back so I can still continue where we left off. It's kind of a pain right now since I have to hunt it down and then screenshot it, so I may either go to the current reruns of drop it altogether. I haven't decided.

oh, no :( I'll miss it. drat you CK

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/1/04

Stephen Collins

This one is based on legends of big cats lurking around the British countryside.

Brenda Starr 9/28/52

Smokey Stover 2/7/60

Everyday Movies 4/19/37

"For heaven's sake, Ralph, turn that organ off. I've been listening to it a half hour thinking it was the symphony."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/28/43

Closer Than We Think! 2/7/60

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 3, 2024

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In a way you have to respect a guy who's doing in 2024 jokes that would have been regarded as groan-worthy clichéd poo poo by 1950s Catskills circuit comedians.

Please refrain from handing it to Kelly. You do not have to hand it to Kelly for this or any other reason. Do not hand it to Kelly.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

It's frick'n Raveen!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doomykins posted:

Holy poo poo Crowe let them have it, right in the hearts. What a badass. :allears:

... And I saw that :sickos: in the next page.

Glad you're liking it. And yes, I am guilty of dropping a few dumb references in the translations, though thankfully I wasn't castigated earlier for doing it TOO much.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 16-21, 1984

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: no I can't let it go, this is so loving stupid. It's not a hard concept to understand! When you buy pants that look worn but are new, you get pants with the look of old worn pants but without the negative side effects of having to wear down pants to that point, ie. they will last you longer. I'm not a fashion person and even I understand this, Batiuk!

Tom Batiuk's catching strays over here. But that's okay because he is also a writer of lovely jokes.

Luann

How about the very non-privacy-violating, "He needs some space. He's told you he needs some space. Give him some space. He knows you care. He'll get back to you when he's ready." I guess that wouldn't be snotty enough. (I acknowledge that Luann, alleged college student, has had an extraordinarily stupid idea.)

Gil Thorp

1. Bisexuality exists. She didn't necessarily suddenly change sexuality.
2. Sometimes people do realize (or choose to express for the first time) their sexuality later in life
3. She did not abandon her kids. They are invited to her place all the time. She just left her husband. If husbands who leave and only see their kids every other weekend don't count as abandoners, neither does Mimi.
4. Teens do sometimes get teen pregnant and, when given the choice, sometimes do choose to terminate the pregnancy.
5. Couples don't always have a big horrible dramatic divorce. A lot of them split amicably and try to keep a good relationship for the sake of their children or even genuinely still care about each other (even if they're not still in love) and try to remain friends.

I am a person who thought Gil was being weirdly chill about his wife cheating on him and even I'm like, "No, sometimes it's like that." I know. No point looking for sense in the GoComics comments.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 2, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My sister & her husband did not get along well; both wanted to be in charge & he did not deal with that well.

They got divorced & have been good friends now for over 25-years.

Samovar posted:

Glad you're liking it. And yes, I am guilty of dropping a few dumb references in the translations, though thankfully I wasn't castigated earlier for doing it TOO much.

They aren't dumb when they're inserted deftly and appropriately. One of my favorite aspects of Blueberry is your translation work.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Aww, you'll make me all blushy-blushy.

In more appropriate information, a podcast I listen to, Kill James Bond, has just done an episode on the movie adaptation of Modesty Blaise. It promises to be amusing.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gallows Bird

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

"Chasin' skirt" is such a funny phrase for a preschooler to say

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp
I am a person who thought Gil was being weirdly chill about his wife cheating on him and even I'm like, "No, sometimes it's like that." I know. No point looking for sense in the GoComics comments.

Not hard to imagine the type of person posting "Why is this man's divorce being depicted as anything other than an acrimonious salting of the earth" on a newspaper comics website.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Doomykins posted:

It's uncanny how many times Jules will write a story in which it is taken for granted that the villains are actually doing anything evil.

"So these land developers are trying to clear wildlife from a build site but they're not quite as humane as I'd like. Also the BLM is trying to control the wild horse population."

Oh... no?

Another edition of "Jules skimmed an article six weeks ago and now it's our problem!"

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

We don't talk about it but the family in Curtis is almost as lovely as the one in Dustin or the Forth's extended family.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vargo posted:

Curtis

[timg]

We don't talk about it but the family in Curtis is almost as lovely as the one in Dustin or the Forth's extended family.

His dad is on point. My son asks me like that all the time. However I do offer yard work for pay but strangely he always turns it down.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/28/43

"Hello I'd like to return this child."

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons catchup

:lol:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

oh, no :( I'll miss it. drat you CK
I haven't stopped yet! We'll at least find out what happens with the drunk lady and her negligent husband.

Apartment 3-G

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The_Other posted:

It's frick'n Raveen!

Young Clint Eastwood + George Michael

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Heart attack? Dying in his sleep? Stroke? Falling down again? Waaaaaaay too exciting and scary for the target audience. Not able to get up quite like he used to? Still very relatable for them without being terrifying.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh poo poo!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mister Kingdom posted:

He starred in “The Good, The Bad, and The Wham!”

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Legit kind of annoyed that there's not going to be a weird supernatural twist for once.

I think it's fun to have the twist being that there is no twist

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

yeah, i kind of prefer it this way? maybe i'm a grouch but i don't think crabgrass is great at doing that kind of hyper-whimsical.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

someone awful. posted:

yeah, i kind of prefer it this way? maybe i'm a grouch but i don't think crabgrass is great at doing that kind of hyper-whimsical.

I like that occasionally the stories just become pathologically weird, particularly that it's not apparent how deep things will go at the outset of any given story.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

someone awful. posted:

The mascot-world storyline would like a word with you

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
OK, I’m getting a bit burned out on cramped-text 4-panels, so I’m going to jump ahead for a little bit to the first of the full chapters in volume 2, and come back to the 4-panel section when I get through it, probably hopping between the 4-panel observational stuff at the front of the book and the more narrative stuff at the back for a while.
We Are Reproducing

As you might be able to guess from the title, this chapter is about her miscarriage, so you may want to skip a bit if that’s a sensitive topic. (Or I could timg the chapter? As you can probably guess from Uchida’s style, it’s generally written in a pretty detached way, but I don’t really know how the thread usually does trigger warnings.)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 3, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 4, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 1, 1913)

Elinor Glyn

Gasoline Alley(October 25, 1919)

Us Boys(March 2, 1912)

The Gumps(March 31, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 27, 1913)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/19-21/52

Lucus a non lucendo.

Slapstickchie 9/22-24/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 3/13/77

That's some fine anguished posing in the last panel.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (August 18-22, 2005)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I guess that's a reference to the old wax 78s being replaced by the far less fragile vinyl.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (April 20-22, 1925)

Our Boarding House: Cowboys Revisited (April 21, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (July 6-8, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Duck (February 14, 1915)

Little Lefty (November 23-25, 1939)

It'll be a few years before they change some of those lyrics.

Meanwhile, Marmy takes part in some extracurriculars.

See, it's a bicycle race, and that's a handlebar mustache.
Wocka wocka.

e: because two Katrinkas are one too many.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 3, 2024

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 4/19/37

"For heaven's sake, Ralph, turn that organ off. I've been listening to it a half hour thinking it was the symphony."
Can anyone explain this one? I don't get it.

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns
Now this one is good. :haw:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

no alright why not just make a month of fornication comics instead of another loving easter bunny plot

HEY HEY! HO HO! THE POINTER FINGER'S GOT TO GO HEY HEY! HO HO! DIG OUT A SCAB AND BLOOD WILL FLOW!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFymRP_I9IY

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

A just and deserved punishment for standing around thinking boring exposition to yourself. Good comic.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

the syndicate can send me my check please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories