Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alan Smithee posted:

lol he lost Tucker

Tucker stopped getting paid I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Tucker stopped getting paid I bet

Apparently Tucker was also treated pretty poorly (which he fully deserved) by Putin, so yeah I don't think they are friends anymore.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

When the sanctions first hit was the first time Tucker turned on Putin, then when he lost his platform suddenly he's Putin's bff again until now.

It might be not getting paid anymore, it could also just be Tucker feels like he's a Very Important Person, A Kingmaker, and he's playing in that game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean Tucker's technically right but that's mainly because he has a vested interest in 'people not getting cancelled for being nazis'.

e; but way to go him I guess for revealing it's all a grift so blatantly. I guess he knows his audience and Fridman's don't overlap.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzbxxF95vM

Always remember Tucker is a tax evading mouthpiece

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzbxxF95vM

Always remember Tucker is a tax evading mouthpiece

If you need to be reminded of this, then please also remember to breathe and lift the seat lid before you take a poo poo.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cannon_Fodder posted:

If you need to be reminded of this, then please also remember to breathe and lift the seat lid before you take a poo poo.

he's not part of the murdoch empire anymore though, and it's not like putin needs any assistance sheltering wealth or convincing political systems to provide one. carlson's certainly a gun for hire, but the type or use of that gun as part of fox isn't the same as whatever peskov wanted him for

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KarinaVinnikova/status/1763195474469675196

Sounds like Putin hurt Tucker Carlson's feelings, lmao.

What a loving clown. Why do people watch this clown?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Everyone got panem in America. And circuses need clowns

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

he's not part of the murdoch empire anymore though, and it's not like putin needs any assistance sheltering wealth or convincing political systems to provide one. carlson's certainly a gun for hire, but the type or use of that gun as part of fox isn't the same as whatever peskov wanted him for

Tucker is a dropgun.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Chekhov's Dropgun

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

lol he lost Tucker

cheque must have bounced.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

DiomedesGodshill posted:

What a loving clown. Why do people watch this clown?

I listened to the entire podcast. Having never really watched or listened to Tucker before, he just comes across as someone who should not be in the position/career he is let alone interviewing Putin, he just said some things about Russia and its history that were false, like the Germans surrounding Moscow in WW2. He would of been fine being some local news reporter.

The only real interesting and noteworthy part of the interview is Lex saying he has been in contact with Putins people about a possible interview.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Dick Ripple posted:

he just said some things about Russia and its history that were false, like the Germans surrounding Moscow in WW2.

i mean, they didn't encircle it, but those giant tank traps you see on the drive in from the airport are there for a reason

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i mean, they didn't encircle it, but those giant tank traps you see on the drive in from the airport are there for a reason

Maybe I am being a bit pedantic. But the difference between encirclement and reaching the outskirts of Moscow could of led to a very different world we are in today.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

cheque must have bounced.

All the money in the world could not keep him from his "actually it's stupid to call anyone a Nazi" take

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Dick Ripple posted:

The only real interesting and noteworthy part of the interview is Lex saying he has been in contact with Putins people about a possible interview.

Yeah he's said that potentially had been on the table since well before the full invasion of Ukraine, He's just so far indefinitely delayed it given the whole situation. He spent like a good month or two traveling across Ukraine sometime after the war started and spent a lot of time talking to victims and veterans and people who are refugees and you can tell that it profoundly impacted him. He has mixed Ukrainian/Russian heritage

Unfortunately in the last half a year so he's been giving a platform for a fair amount of unsavory people without pushing back on their bullshit very much and it seems like he's slowly being dragged further to the right, so I've been kind of losing interest in his show.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mederlock posted:

Unfortunately in the last half a year so he's been giving a platform for a fair amount of unsavory people without pushing back on their bullshit very much and it seems like he's slowly being dragged further to the right, so I've been kind of losing interest in his show.
I've never understood the appeal of Fridman. His manner of speaking seems to persuade folks that he's a public intellectual, but he's never sounded particularly bright in the clips I've sampled. Add in the deep ties with major heterodox figures, he comes off as a super milquetoast gateway into the right-wing media ecosystem. His "let's just have a polite conversation" shtick comes off as an intentional ploy given the typical slant of some of his interviewees.

The Decoding the Gurus podcast has covered him a bit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Friedman is Rogan for guys who fancy themselves intellectuals

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Friedman is Rogan for guys who fancy themselves intellectuals

Oh, that can't be good. :ughh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MF made a big to-do about reading more and posted the most basic bitch list of literature I've ever seen. 1984, Animal Farm, the loving Alchemist. Motherfuckers got a head full of rocks and larps as an intellectual. As someone who likes Hesse I cannot imagine how annoying a puffed up pseud like him will be upon finishing Steppenwolf or Siddhartha.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Gaius Marius posted:

MF made a big to-do about reading more and posted the most basic bitch list of literature I've ever seen. 1984, Animal Farm, the loving Alchemist. Motherfuckers got a head full of rocks and larps as an intellectual. As someone who likes Hesse I cannot imagine how annoying a puffed up pseud like him will be upon finishing Steppenwolf or Siddhartha.
I'm sorry, what? Gotta describe that non-1984 and Animal Farm stuff for us intel nerds.
Edit: is hesse a type of beer?

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 1, 2024

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gaius Marius posted:

Like, the Ben Jonson play?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm sorry, what? Gotta describe that non-1984 and Animal Farm stuff for us intel nerds.
Edit: is hesse a type of beer?
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/156grw/why_they_read_hesse/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, the godawful Paulo Coelho novella. Possibly the worst thing I've ever read. Imagine Hesse if he read The Secret, absolutely unbearable.

That Vonnegut criticism is quite good, I've never seen that before. He managed to tap on to a feeling I had myself about some of Hesse's works but couldn't quite articulate although I think that with the threat of total annihilation being far more distant most modern readers would find it speaks more to their desire to differentiate themselves from an ever encroaching dehumanizing society.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Alchemist is what you get when you cross Hesse with The Secret. A magical journey of self discovery (or something) where you learn the way to get what you want out of life is to want it hard enough.

e: gently caress.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gaius Marius posted:

No, the godawful Paulo Coelho novella. Possibly the worst thing I've ever read. Imagine Hesse if he read The Secret, absolutely unbearable.

That Vonnegut criticism is quite good, I've never seen that before. He managed to tap on to a feeling I had myself about some of Hesse's works but couldn't quite articulate although I think that with the threat of total annihilation being far more distant most modern readers would find it speaks more to their desire to differentiate themselves from an ever encroaching dehumanizing society.

I read the Vonnegut about two years after I read Siddhartha for school. It was refreshing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1763875209541501338

First time I've seen this, I think: Ukrainian forces using drones to sprinkle rebar caltrops along Russian-held roads.

Content: Video of Russians complaining about their trucks being disabled, tires absolutely fuckled, by the rebar caltrops.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I love that. Cheaper than mines, cheaper than grenades, simple, brilliant.

The amount of improvisation that's making it through the filter is an interesting, if super bleak, fascination for me.

Mind you, I draw the line at booby trapped toys.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I love that. Cheaper than mines, cheaper than grenades, simple, brilliant.

The amount of improvisation that's making it through the filter is an interesting, if super bleak, fascination for me.

Mind you, I draw the line at booby trapped toys.

If anything, those anti vehicle caltrops are at the opposite end of the scale. Except for a case of extreme bad luck (not noticing one of those at highway speeds on a metalled road) anyone who encounters one is very likely to be uninjured by the experience. They're safe and relatively easy to clean up, and even if they go unnoticed, a few decades in the mid will eliminate them safely. Finally, they're most effective against their intended target and have a clear, valid military use. The only way you could commit a war crime with those is if you picked one up and beat a civilian over the head with it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

PurpleXVI posted:

First time I've seen this, I think: Ukrainian forces using drones to sprinkle rebar caltrops along Russian-held roads.

Just wait until we see videos of Ukrainian scouts concussion-jumping into the Russian base

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Discussion Quorum posted:

Just wait until we see videos of Ukrainian scouts concussion-jumping into the Russian base

BONK

You're going to love these nuts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1763875209541501338

Content: Video of Russians complaining about their trucks being disabled, tires absolutely fuckled, by the rebar caltrops.

I didn't have the return of hedgehogs and dragon's teeth on my bingo card for this war, but that's certainly a new spin on an old classic.

Edit: Interesting. Googled it and another account says that part of why these are working is that it's not immediately obvious when your column runs into a field of these. Mines, sure there's an explosion and you know you're under attack or in a minefield. But these, reportedly, are hard to distinguish at first from whether you ran over something mundane that messed up your truck or maybe the engine just seized up or whatever. The other drivers won't be immediately concerned. Just dumb Sergei hitting a branch or whatever that got lodged in the axle. Then more people hit them.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 2, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

If anything, those anti vehicle caltrops are at the opposite end of the scale. Except for a case of extreme bad luck (not noticing one of those at highway speeds on a metalled road) anyone who encounters one is very likely to be uninjured by the experience. They're safe and relatively easy to clean up, and even if they go unnoticed, a few decades in the mid will eliminate them safely. Finally, they're most effective against their intended target and have a clear, valid military use. The only way you could commit a war crime with those is if you picked one up and beat a civilian over the head with it.

Yeah. No one gets killed when they're driving down the road and they hear their tire go BANG, but they do have a good ol moment of "oh, gently caress me running" and have to pull over and stop a while and contemplate the life choices that led up to this moment.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i am a fervid proponent of caltrops and this development pleases me greatly

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Denmark's next aid package will include several pallets of their sharpest Lego pieces.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The British are going to ship some of their plugs, get sued for war crimes, and lose.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Denmark's next aid package will include several pallets of their sharpest Lego pieces.

:hmmyes:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Breaking news: Entire nation of Denmark on trial at The Hague for crimes against humanity

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Environmental activists have been making and using caltrops exactly like those for decades, to attack the big expensive tires of things like heavy logging equipment. The drone delivery method is a new angle, but it makes a lot of sense in the context of the war. Kudos to Ukraine for the creative tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it would be a great upgrade if they can get 3/8 pipe instead of rebar, lighter weight will let the drones carry more and the cookie cutter effect will do way faster tire damage