Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

melissa lee's time to shine lmao

bro she is so bad at this hahaha

https://vimeo.com/917747481

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I needed a laugh today thank you.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Vimeo is still around and parliament has an account there?!?! Chuck it up on MySpace why not

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

bro she is so bad at this hahaha

https://vimeo.com/917747481

god what a poo poo show, how did they make Barbara Kuriger a deputy speaker? Why does Reuben Davidson sound exactly like Murray from Flight of the Concords? Why can't Melissa Lee speak coherently when she's not reading from a sheet of paper?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i was about to say that kuriger is way better than assistant speaker :siren: maureen pugh :siren: , which reminded me to post chippy's speech on the smokefree repeal
https://vimeo.com/917315987

way better than chlōe's :frogbon:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Why can't Melissa Lee speak coherently when she's not reading from a sheet of paper?

Because she's dumber than gently caress. She can't even speak coherently when she has the paper either.

klen dool posted:

Vimeo is still around and parliament has an account there?!?! Chuck it up on MySpace why not

Corp and govt is exactly what Vimeo exists for. Paid accounts for hosters without 3rd party advertising shoved on to your content.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 29, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Love hearing Luxon describe people being on social welfare as "obscene" and "perverse" then finding out he gets a $50k supplement to go with his 7 houses and enormous salary because of course he does.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Love hearing Luxon describe people being on social welfare as "obscene" and "perverse" then finding out he gets a $50k supplement to go with his 7 houses and enormous salary because of course he does.

Meanwhile the Maori Development minister went on newshub and cautioned that "the New Zealand taxpayer is not a free ATM card".
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/510589/luxon-s-criticisms-of-profligate-spending-come-back-to-bite

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
They literally are tho:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I think when people say "free ATM card" what they actually mean is an unlimited source of free money, which is not what an AtM card is of course

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Also we are because the govt can just print more money, as much as they want.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/510604/watch-prime-minister-christopher-luxon-speaks-from-queenstown

lol he's doubling down

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The benefit is also an entitlement that is within the rules but for some reason we feel content to police that and change the rules around it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

(the reason is gently caress the poor)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
lol
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/510614/pm-christopher-luxon-says-he-will-pay-back-his-52k-accommodation-allowance

quote:

Prime Minister Christopher Luxon says he will pay back his $52,000 per year accommodation allowance.

He was receiving the payment to live in his own mortgage-free apartment in Wellington - one of seven properties he owns.

He said he only received the first payment this week.

"It's clear that the issue of my accommodation allowance is becoming a distraction," he said.

"As such, I have decided today that I will no longer claim the allowance and will repay anything I have received since I became Prime Minister."

More to come.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Doubling down in Queenstown

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Congrats to luxon on teaching the media how easy it is to roll him. They may be demoralised and at the mercy of their corporate overlords but they are still capable of smelling blood in the water.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Stick to airlines bitch

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://x.com/benmackey/status/1763417169579389040?s=20
another lol

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Oh shoot so all we need to do to influence the National party leader is call in to newstalk zb?
But that means we need to pay attention to it...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

you don't need to pay attention to call in, all you need is a phone number

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
he did basically the same thing with the clean car discount lol. he's stupid!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

he did basically the same thing with the clean car discount lol. he's stupid!

He's not stupid he knows no one important gives a poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...ls-funding.html

guess which minister this te kūiti grandmother with half her body amputated can complain to: melissa lee

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

quote:

Stick to the Saudi navy bitch

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"[ACC] just don't care. I said I'll live under a bridge, and she [case worker] is like 'do what you want'," McIndoe said.

:staredog:

I'm sure the case workers are overworked and underpaid but have a bit more tact when you're loving with peoples lives.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

You can't though. You can't do an evil thing and say sorry because that means living with the evil thing you did. You have to act callous so you can pretend what you did wasn't evil, so you can sleep at night. People that cannot do that don't do the evil thing, and end up either putting it off until someone else has to do it or get fired/transferred for not doing it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Xik posted:

"[ACC] just don't care. I said I'll live under a bridge, and she [case worker] is like 'do what you want'," McIndoe said.

:staredog:

I'm sure the case workers are overworked and underpaid but have a bit more tact when you're loving with peoples lives.

I liked when ACC insinuated it was her fault because they had "trouble communicating" with her. Yea I'm sure the lady who has half a body and needs a carer to turn her over at night is real loving hard to get hold of :rolleyes:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

You can't though. You can't do an evil thing and say sorry because that means living with the evil thing you did. You have to act callous so you can pretend what you did wasn't evil, so you can sleep at night. People that cannot do that don't do the evil thing, and end up either putting it off until someone else has to do it or get fired/transferred for not doing it.

it looks like they funded the surgery, two rooms for two years, a live in full time carer and an entire purpose built house, and she's got a place to live (albeit not the one she wants), so i don't think evil is quite the right word here?

i maybe have a little ACC-PTSD from working there, but I'd take reports of what caseworkers said as one person's view of the conversation. happy to eat all the crow if it turns out i'm wrong, but clients with that many needs get a lot of scrutiny, it's not just a caseworker.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Our local MP (Nats) is based in town and has a stall at the market most Saturdays. I went along this morning so I could ask about the Luxon thing and segue to MPs (what I consider excessive) KiwiSaver entitlements and that whole "still get paid another 90 days after you're fired" thing.

I engaged in good faith and mentioned right from the start that I'm not a national voter but given he's the local rep, I wanted to speak up as a local. We had a civil conversation but right off the bat, he was defensive both in tone (that kind of rising tone like a child being scolded) and attitude. I acknowledged that yes, Luxon was technically entitled to that allowance but did it pass the sniff test given their statements about the cost of living crisis, "NZ is not an atm" rhetoric and all that? His response was "remuneration authority, we don't control it" and did not budge.

Gee I didn't know the remuneration authority was an uncontrollable power unto itself :rolleyes:

It just disappoints me that instead of empathising, he tried to hand wave it all away as not a problem and at the end took some turn into how over the last 30 years Kiwi have lost all respect for the quote sacrifice that people who go into politics make and he hopes it doesn't continue to degrade. My guy you're in bed with Act, what point are you trying to make here?

Overall 6/10, a civil conversation with no raised voices despite me feeling really pissed off over the whole topic and that ended in handshakes at least, but I am doubly not voting National next election and will actively campaign against them

klen dool
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

it looks like they funded the surgery, two rooms for two years, a live in full time carer and an entire purpose built house, and she's got a place to live (albeit not the one she wants), so i don't think evil is quite the right word here?

i maybe have a little ACC-PTSD from working there, but I'd take reports of what caseworkers said as one person's view of the conversation. happy to eat all the crow if it turns out i'm wrong, but clients with that many needs get a lot of scrutiny, it's not just a caseworker.

I skim read the article so I could be wrong. My point stands though, I just don't know if ACC was being evil or not

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

sebmojo posted:

Why would they do all of that but not fund the accommodation until the house was finished though? Like is the 2 years just an arbitrary cut-off or something?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Also she said ACC only gave her a week's notice and ACC said nah we gave her a months notice as if that was any better.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

sebmojo posted:

She has a place to live because of a friend, not because of ACC.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I made this for a meme page so now you all have to see it too

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The whole ACC thing is very weird, we are definitely not getting the whole story but as usual the health matters only one side is free to tell their story to the media.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Saros posted:

The whole ACC thing is very weird, we are definitely not getting the whole story but as usual the health matters only one side is free to tell their story to the media.

Yeah, bottom line is that lady's life sucks unbelievable amounts of rear end and i don't want to understate that, but mostly acc does try its best.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Weatherman posted:

Our local MP (Nats) is based in town and has a stall at the market most Saturdays. I went along this morning so I could ask about the Luxon thing and segue to MPs (what I consider excessive) KiwiSaver entitlements and that whole "still get paid another 90 days after you're fired" thing.

I engaged in good faith and mentioned right from the start that I'm not a national voter but given he's the local rep, I wanted to speak up as a local. We had a civil conversation but right off the bat, he was defensive both in tone (that kind of rising tone like a child being scolded) and attitude. I acknowledged that yes, Luxon was technically entitled to that allowance but did it pass the sniff test given their statements about the cost of living crisis, "NZ is not an atm" rhetoric and all that? His response was "remuneration authority, we don't control it" and did not budge.

Gee I didn't know the remuneration authority was an uncontrollable power unto itself :rolleyes:

It just disappoints me that instead of empathising, he tried to hand wave it all away as not a problem and at the end took some turn into how over the last 30 years Kiwi have lost all respect for the quote sacrifice that people who go into politics make and he hopes it doesn't continue to degrade. My guy you're in bed with Act, what point are you trying to make here?

Overall 6/10, a civil conversation with no raised voices despite me feeling really pissed off over the whole topic and that ended in handshakes at least, but I am doubly not voting National next election and will actively campaign against them

The mistake here was treating them like they were a human being and not stabbing them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
You actually shouldn't need to disclose who you voted for in conversation. There was an incident in the Key government where Maggie Barry was being asked a pointed question and she asked who the person voted for. She was reminded that she's meant to be representing all her constituents, not just the ones that voted for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
"That nice lady from the garden show" turned out to be one of the worst born to rule tories.