Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does completely wiping every side object/nest/outpost off the map give exponentially more XP/credits or are players just extremely neurotic? It seems like every map I load into has people going fifty miles out of their way to get every single bug nest on a map, even if the objectives are right on top of each other. I get doing them as you go from place to place, but it's kind of repetitive to have to spend 30 minutes running around the map doing bug nests on the other side of the map when you could pop the objective and be out in there in five.

Yeah it nets you more requisition and xp. It's also likely you'll find samples at nests/bot outposts. Unless you're trying to get super credits on 7+ difficulty missions it's not a bad idea to deal with outposts or nests. Esp if there's any near the objectives or the extraction since it seems to spawn larger waves of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've noticed that bug difficulty 4+ has bile titans as assassination targets. Just so I'm prepped for when I have to do that, what's the best approach for low/mid-tier players to kill those things? Use EATs to blow holes in their armour and then pour small arms fire in like you would with a Charger? Are they slow enough for orbital/airstrikes to reliably hit them, and if so, which offensive stratagems will get through their armour?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Headshots with heavy explosives

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's not worth hitting side objectives for cash or xp but it can be worth it to scrounge up some extra samples

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

dog nougat posted:

Yeah it nets you more requisition and xp. It's also likely you'll find samples at nests/bot outposts. Unless you're trying to get super credits on 7+ difficulty missions it's not a bad idea to deal with outposts or nests. Esp if there's any near the objectives or the extraction since it seems to spawn larger waves of enemies.

Sure it's good to do them, but I'm more referring to if there is some sort of multiplicative bonus for them that would drive someone to cross the entire map to do the nests, even if the objectives are nowhere near it, rather than just extracting and then diving into a new mission right away. Like, I just had a map where we landed right on top of the objective and the pubbies bolted like the place was on fire so that they could start crossing the map to pop bug nests.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Headshots with heavy explosives

So, an EAT/recoilless rifle to the face, huh?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Do you get larget super credit stashes on higher difficulties?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It seems to be 10 credits per pile no matter what.

Also If anything, I have noticed an increase in "Actually this cargo container setpiece now has pile of rubble, gently caress off" which will occasionally have standard samples.

Baby difficulty, hardly any points of interest. Difficulty increases "Oh boy, so much more loot potential!" Difficulty increases further "Oh boy, more rocks :sigh: "

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the Knight SMG got a stealth buff, they give a slight damage buff (45->50) and cut the recoil by half. It's basically a better Liberator now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does completely wiping every side object/nest/outpost off the map give exponentially more XP/credits or are players just extremely neurotic? It seems like every map I load into has people going fifty miles out of their way to get every single bug nest on a map, even if the objectives are right on top of each other. I get doing them as you go from place to place, but it's kind of repetitive to have to spend 30 minutes running around the map doing bug nests on the other side of the map when you could pop the objective and be out in there in five.

I don't really understand it either. Yes, "it gives you more resources" is true in strictly a resource per mission sense, but not necessarily in a resource per minute sense. There's more missions, they're not going anywhere. What you do get, though, is extra medals for doing more missions.

I'll do an efficient loop, but stressing about it or backtracking for stuff is just not my cup of tea. I suspect it's the same people who had to explore the whole map in Fallout/Skyrim/Assassin's Creed/whatever. I never really got that bug.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Section Z posted:

It seems to be 10 credits per pile no matter what.

Also If anything, I have noticed an increase in "Actually this cargo container setpiece now has pile of rubble, gently caress off" which will occasionally have standard samples.

Baby difficulty, hardly any points of interest. Difficulty increases "Oh boy, so much more loot potential!" Difficulty increases further "Oh boy, more rocks :sigh: "

I find most trivial missions have 2 or 3 golden beam salute chest things and it's dumb luck if it has 100 req, 1-3 medals, 10-20 super credits, or a gun. The map is small and you can usually complete it in 5 minutes or so which may make it the best way to farm super credits (and common samples, I easily get 10-12 per trivial mission).

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sure it's good to do them, but I'm more referring to if there is some sort of multiplicative bonus for them that would drive someone to cross the entire map to do the nests, even if the objectives are nowhere near it, rather than just extracting and then diving into a new mission right away. Like, I just had a map where we landed right on top of the objective and the pubbies bolted like the place was on fire so that they could start crossing the map to pop bug nests.

cant speak for others but i find it satisfying to clear every base and side objective on the big maps :shrug:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't really understand it either. Yes, "it gives you more resources" is true in strictly a resource per mission sense, but not necessarily in a resource per minute sense. There's more missions, they're not going anywhere. What you do get, though, is extra medals for doing more missions.

I'll do an efficient loop, but stressing about it or backtracking for stuff is just not my cup of tea. I suspect it's the same people who had to explore the whole map in Fallout/Skyrim/Assassin's Creed/whatever. I never really got that bug.
The worst is when you have like 3 respawns left and people are marking a bug hole mission the opposite direction of the extract. At that point I start using voice comms.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Nope. Though trivial is usually the best Super Credit farm, but boring.

Essentially: cargo crates and pods that contain super credits (or weapons, req slips, or very rarely samples) don't scale with difficulty, other than the maps are usually larger so there's more POIs. However, on a map on trivial there's usually no bugs guarding the POIs and the patrols are pushovers. Since the pods/crates don't scale, it's the same as high difficulties. So you can run a bunch of trivials quickly and increase the chance you'll get super credits.

What does scale though are samples. Higher difficulties will have more samples, and high concentration of samples. However... the higher concentration of samples doesn't exactly seem consistent. I think when a map is created the game is given the pool of samples and then distributes them across POIs. This distribution is semi-random and not always equal.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Your sph (science per hour) is going to be pretty linear - they are at POI's and your objectives. However, the extraction and recap screen is a fixed time cost, so the fewer times you have to extract/see the end recap the more efficient this process is. :v:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
As just 1 2 3 15 135 3000 5635 Helldivers out of billions, what use is material wealth if even a single bug still lives?

This game has a lot of crossover with Deep Rock Galactic and a lot of players just want to go around, try to finish all the nests/factories, and hit the next drop zone.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lmao the guard dog rover kicks rear end. i can just ignore most bugs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CuddleCryptid posted:

They are doing it for fun.

Optmized play(even disregarding defense mission cheese) is going to look different based on your goals, regardless. Players level all the way up to 50 but there's only unlocks up to 20 and only so many stratagems to buy-so if you're trying to get everything, it doesn't take that long to reach a point where both XP and credits are meaningless.
However, once you reach that point chances are you still have a lot of passive ship upgrades to buy with samples, so those become what you want to optimize for if you want to get everything quickly. Especially common samples, which you need hundreds of for all the upgrades... rares are pretty plentiful relative to the amount you use, and while super samples require 7+ missions, they're needed in such small amounts that it's no big deal.

But once you're up against that "get shitloads of common samples for ship upgrades" grind, it does actually make a lot of sense to be fairly thorough in scouring the map for them. And you'll get supercreds from map drops, too, which matters a lot if you're collecting armor.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LazyMaybe posted:

They are doing it for fun.

Optmized play(even disregarding defense mission cheese) is going to look different based on your goals, regardless. Players level all the way up to 50 but there's only unlocks up to 20 and only so many stratagems to buy-so if you're trying to get everything, it doesn't take that long to reach a point where both XP and credits are meaningless.
However, once you reach that point chances are you still have a lot of passive ship upgrades to buy with samples, so those become what you want to optimize for if you want to get everything quickly. Especially common samples, which you need hundreds of for all the upgrades... rares are pretty plentiful relative to the amount you use, and while super samples require 7+ missions, they're needed in such small amounts that it's no big deal.

But once you're up against that "get shitloads of common samples for ship upgrades" grind, it does actually make a lot of sense to be fairly thorough in scouring the map for them. And you'll get supercreds from map drops, too, which matters a lot if you're collecting armor.

TBH it's not that I'm looking for optimized play, I just don't want to run a cross country marathon every map. But with cars coming soon I guess that will be a solved problem.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Playing 7-9 mostly removes that behavior anyway, players tend to play faster there and more missions punish full map clears at those difficulties unless you're doing it in a quick efficient route(in which case it's no longer what you're talking about).

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Used the excuse of having a cold planet to do a full laser loadout in a mid-range game (Scythe, laser cannon, guard dog rover, orbital laser) and it was super fun. Definitely didn't feel nearly as powerful as autocannon / grenade launcher / breaker / railgun / etc. but it was super fun and the sound / visual effects for the weapons are great. Still had to rely on orbital railgun strategems to deal with the few Chargers as it was pretty low level and the other players were confounded by them.

Laser lightshow super fun. Laser cannon's sound effects and the way it feels just barely out of control as you aim it is super tactile.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

is the scythe any good? its been my "goal" on the warbonds because it looks cool and seems like itd do a decent amount of damage, given the fact its a laser

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Do people use the single use AT? I saw someone using it on 8 and it was pretty good since the cool down was so fast. Drop an autocannon turret, and hit the Titan twice with the AT launchers and it was dead fast. It's like a 90 second cool down so you can drop them all over the map.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

hbag posted:

is the scythe any good? its been my "goal" on the warbonds because it looks cool and seems like itd do a decent amount of damage, given the fact its a laser

It's dogshit, unfortunately

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hbag posted:

Not really. Lasrifle on a UAV is good because UAV is a robot and doesn't get bored or disappointed.

Lasrifle on Helldiver is a pile of disappointment because it trades time to kill to effectively have infinite ammo. Your ammo is only really used if you overheat. So you're just aggressively tickling bots/bugs until they die. I rarely have ammo problems severe enough that I thought "If only I had a weak weapon with regenerating ammo". And to be honest the times that I did have them made the round amazingly tense.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well i got a marksman rifle but so far this game seems like something i want a high rate of fire for, not to be sat in the distance picking enemies off one by one

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hbag posted:

well i got a marksman rifle but so far this game seems like something i want a high rate of fire for, not to be sat in the distance picking enemies off one by one

You fighting bugs or bots? The latter make you really appreciate long-ranged weaponry.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Depends on the faction, really. For bugs you definitely want plenty of close range swarm clearing capability, but for bots medium to long range is generally preferable. That said, I'm not a fan of the "marksman" type primary weapons (give me an AMR or AC any day) aside from the slugger, which still works perfectly fine at close ranges.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

But it leaves a gap in the north central area that could have those 2 person bunkers

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sushibandit posted:

Depends on the faction, really. For bugs you definitely want plenty of close range swarm clearing capability, but for bots medium to long range is generally preferable. That said, I'm not a fan of the "marksman" type primary weapons (give me an AMR or AC any day) aside from the slugger, which still works perfectly fine at close ranges.

i thought the same thing until i played a round where i probably killed around 40 or 50 berserkers

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Gimme a mod that turns my democracy officer into Zap Brannigan

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The AMR is super good against the bots because you can kill rocket/heavy devastators and hulks at extreme range from relative safety. Definitely not as useful against bugs whose closest analogues are hive guards and brood commanders, who take too much ammo to go down, and chargers, who are immune to AMR shots

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

this but unironically

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

KingKapalone posted:

I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.
Operations with multiple missions are (as you've probably realized) "I want to start this operation as the host." It's weird the game isn't filling if you have it set to public matchmaking in the options. Generally QP should throw people at you in the ready screen almost immediately.

Single missions are "I want to join this host's game." Quick play fills them in 2 or 3 seconds but they don't disappear for 30 or so you have to see one appear and be very fast to get in. I do this to avoid night missions.

I've never used QP but I assume it's just like option 2 but automatically places you the first available group on the current planet/difficulty.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 2, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Quickplay will also throw you into ongoing games (not sure it the SOS beacon is required or if it just helps), unless I'm playing a game with friends I just set it to my desired difficulty and go, since I also have a lot of trouble with the locations on the map not actually letting me join them.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

If you're at the point where you don't need xp / stratagem cash anymore... what exactly are you farming samples / medals for? There are only so many warbands / ship upgrades that are actually worth purchasing. I get not feeling like blowing up every single bug hole every single mission, but I do not get speedrunning for objectives, especially if you're doing the same mission over and over.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Did the Chargers get nerfed recently? Haven’t had time to play for about a week and when I was finally able to play again this morning we were taking down chargers no problem with me, a friend, and two low level randoms. Is it just that everyone knows how to deal with them now? I swear they were dying after just three or four shots from an autocannon into their big yellow rear end.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Janissary Hop posted:

If you're at the point where you don't need xp / stratagem cash anymore... what exactly are you farming samples / medals for? There are only so many warbands / ship upgrades that are actually worth purchasing. I get not feeling like blowing up every single bug hole every single mission, but I do not get speedrunning for objectives, especially if you're doing the same mission over and over.

well theyre a whole-team thing so i imagine theyre getting them for their buddies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Janissary Hop posted:

If you are with a group of friends already at max, glory for SUPER EARTH!

But when playing with strangers? Most of them are probably still desperate for samples and medals and not built for loving off to (successfully) grab them solo.