Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

told you earthquake was weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Say... is nuclear winds a weather thing too?

pretty sure that's a megaman power up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

it would very on brand for a firenado to cause a nuclear disaster in Texas

Firenado setting the fracking fields ablaze

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/yosemite-closes-february-sierra-storm-18696976.php

Around 3:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon, the Park Service announced that Yosemite National Park is closing its gates at midnight as the winter storm passes through the Sierra. Access to the park will remain off-limits to visitors until at least Sunday at noon — if not later.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
super eruption imminent. brace yourselves!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

RadiRoot posted:

Hey, I'm still pulling for Giant Meteor. :pray:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

RadiRoot posted:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RadiRoot posted:

A Yosemite super eruption would be a big surprise to everyone. We’ve been so focused on Yellowstone we didn’t even identify Yosemite as volcanic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There have been two volcanic eruptions in the contiguous United States, since they became the United States. Mount Saint Helens is the famous one. The other was Mount Lassen in 1915.

American volcanoes really like to erupt in May. Mark your calendars, folks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grundulum posted:

A Yosemite super eruption would be a big surprise to everyone. We’ve been so focused on Yellowstone we didn’t even identify Yosemite as volcanic.

long valley ca could always go off, it's last eruption was almost as big as the last Yellowstone one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't think i ever considered cali's volcanic activity before. maybe this question is super complicated but why are these active or semi-active volcanoes only in the northern half of the cascades?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i don't think i ever considered cali's volcanic activity before. maybe this question is super complicated but why are these active or semi-active volcanoes only in the northern half of the cascades?

Shasta and Lassen are stratovolcanos like the cascade volcanos in Oregon and Washington. The geology for Mono Lake and Long Valley is a bit different but more generally related to being at the edge of basin and range country than tectonic subduction.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

those volcanoes better shut the gently caress up until after I'm dead

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Volcanos may be my favorite weather.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

That’s where the Juan de Fuca plate is subducting under the North American plate; as the plate gets pushed deeper under the continental crust, parts of it melt and magma blobs drift upwards (volcanism).

The southern edge of that plate is around Cape Mendocino in northern California; further south, the plate boundary is between the Pacific and North American plate and changes to a transform boundary (the San Andreas Fault).

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
the famous photos of the mount pinatubo eruption fill me with deep dread, and that's nothing compared to the other big guys waiting

it owns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Volcanos may be my favorite weather.

not mine. i like drizzle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

y'all ever been hit by a drat volcano?? obsidian powder and sweat don't feel good together

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

y'all ever been hit by a drat volcano?? obsidian powder and sweat don't feel good together

Traveling to caldera from balmora I was hit with a particularly nasty ash storm while the cliff racers circled relentlessly, wouldn’t wish it on anyone

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mine was near antigua, which also sounds like a video game town

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mine was near antigua, which also sounds like a video game town

It is

Only registered members can see post attachments!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Looks like the radar's showing clear skies for the Caribbean, lock it in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that giant fuckin' mushroom in guyana must be what venezuela wants to annex it for

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I like asteroids, the space weather that killed the dinosaurs!

How many others weathers can claim that!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

There have been two volcanic eruptions in the contiguous United States, since they became the United States. Mount Saint Helens is the famous one. The other was Mount Lassen in 1915.

American volcanoes really like to erupt in May. Mark your calendars, folks.

It's not meltdown may for nothing

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

there will definitely be a rise in the baseline geologic activity in the future as the antarctic ice sheet melts and the crust beneath it rebounds

we'll all be dead before that starts though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I reject the premise of the question.

Lassen is the south end of the Cascade Range.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MtStHelensWA/status/1762870836363685973

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the most iconic mountain is the one in nh that the stone 'face' fell off of. its the literal icon of the state and its only notable feature hasnt existed for years

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

How bad could it be, Galadriel was fine.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

the most iconic mountain is the one in nh that the stone 'face' fell off of. its the literal icon of the state and its only notable feature hasnt existed for years

Yeah they should just rebuild it imo make it actually look like a dude

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I reject the premise of the question.

Lassen is the south end of the Cascade Range.

mountain range naming conventions are bullshit. the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada are different ranges but the coastal range is one, even though it disappears under the ocean

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

It does kind of look like a big pile of cocaine

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It does kind of look like a big pile of cocaine

Before and after of mount saint helens are pretty cool

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

there's a guy named Harry Truman buried under all that rubble lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

HashtagGirlboss posted:

ground weather truly is impressive

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Welp tied for warmest Feb on record... That record was only 2017.. march is coming in with 70°f tomorrow.

tater_salad has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Mar 3, 2024

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I'm not a geologist, so I can't tell you for sure, but I think that they're being caused by different plates subducting under the American plate. The Juan de Fuca plate is responsible for the cascade volcanism, while the Pacific plate is responsible for much of the California volcanism. The stuff further east(Arizona, New Mexico, maybe some of California?) is caused by the North American plate spreading, while Yellowstone is a hotspot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

This one run of one model is gifting parts of California with 200" of snow over the next two weeks.

:cheers: