Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

ShoogaSlim posted:

again, lady jessica turns into this reverend mother figure for the fundamentalists and has some evil plot(?) that we think is bad but then it's swept under the rug and she's on paul's side or he's on hers or whatever and it's all fine? idk. it felt a little disjointed.
the point is that her "evil" plan is to be on paul's side and foster his development into a messiah. as you said they explain the visions pretty heavily, and in this case Paul fears that following his mother's schemes will lead in a bad direction but feels swept along by the current. it's hard to comment on how this "should" come off to non-book-readers, but I thought jessica's motivation seemed pretty clear.

with regard to the use of the Voice, there's a couple of things. first, if she's using it unnecessarily it only helps the audience grow uneasy with her. She's callously willing to use these people as objects for her convenience. But also I think she's being reasonable in fearing that violating the rules of the Fremen rituals could be a little dicey. She believes that Paul drinking the water of life is completely necessary, and doesn't want to leave any room for error in her plan.

Martman fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jessica is a psychic dance mom is all you need to know

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Fremen Motion.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Martman posted:

in this case Paul fears that following his mother's schemes will lead in a bad direction but feels swept along by the current. it's hard to comment on how this "should" come off to non-book-readers, but I thought jessica's motivation seemed pretty clear.

appreciate the response. i guess it didn't really feel necessary to show that the person in the vision is lady jessica. even from the first vision with just her silhouette you could very easily tell it was her, and the second vision, you see her face and it feels like it was for anyone in the audience still scratching their head.

in fact this whole movie felt like the pacing and editing was an answer to people who didn't like the first movie, which is kind of a bummer.

also i don't really know if i just missed it or if they didn't have a compelling way to show what you're describing in that paul felt swept by the current. perhaps a rewatch will help and brushing up on some plot points from the book, but on a fresh virgin watch, it felt like a conflicting narrative. at first lady jessica didn't want to do whatever it was the fremen wanted her to do, then she does it and is now the evil mastermind. paul doesn't want to give in and then he just does, because...?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

ShoogaSlim posted:

at first lady jessica didn't want to do whatever it was the fremen wanted her to do, then she does it and is now the evil mastermind. paul doesn't want to give in and then he just does, because...?
I think the only reason she was hesitant to drink the water of life is that she was pregnant. Otherwise it's a straightforward part of her plan and it's easy for her to process poison

I agree that Paul's motivations are a bit lacking compared to the book. In the movie it comes off a bit more like he just gets tempted by how fun heroism is

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Honestly I'd say this a movie that completely justifies IMAX. I'm sorely tempted to see it a second time just so I can IMAX it too.

Just saw it in IMAX and yes, 100% worth it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/esekaku/status/1764061561919090979?s=46

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That was really really good, and it was so obviously good that there's... not much to say? The whole thing is right there on the screen, it owns, we all see it. So all I can do is complain about the little stuff that bugged me.

First off, some pretty major power players have been excised -- I don't know what Villenueve has against the Mentats, but it'd be nice if they'd gotten any of their business in the last two movies (a point that even the books didn't make much of, but that I've always thought was really important, is that Paul was a Mentat too -- he's an Atreides and a Harkonnen and a Bene Gesserit and a Mentat and a Navigator, all the factions have come together in him, because he is the literal messiah). And, rather more importantly, where the gently caress was the Spacing Guild and the Navigators? They're going to matter in the future! A lot! And on more or less that topic, what was with the change to how Paul threatens to destroy the spice? "Nuking the spice fields" is a nonsensical threat, that's not how any of this works, Paul, the spice is all over the loving planet and there'd still be worms making more so unless you are threatening to nuke your own planet into a cinder, which I don't think you're doing, all I can do is repeat... what was that? In fact, we haven't gotten any of the spice life cycle yet, and this is stuff we're hugely going to need to know. With the information that movie audiences have right now, there's no reason why spice production would cease on Arrakis when it's terraformed, so long as "the spice fields" were left as deserts. It's a very weird choice.

Otherwise, there are just some lines I really like and felt the lack of, like the exposition about that place that no Bene Gesserit can look so that Paul can spit "look into that place you dare not go! You'll find me staring back out at you!" at the Reverend Mother at the end, and the information that Paul was supposed to be a girl so that he could be wed to Fayd-Rautha and their child would be the Kwisatch Haderach -- Paul being the messiah, just one generation too soon, is a neat plot point and it's also foreshadowing for Leto II. And I miss the two year time skip so that we could have Creepy Toddler Alia.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Those look so much Nausicaa fan art.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Otherwise, there are just some lines I really like and felt the lack of, like the exposition about that place that no Bene Gesserit can look so that Paul can spit "look into that place you dare not go! You'll find me staring back out at you!" at the Reverend Mother at the end, and the information that Paul was supposed to be a girl so that he could be wed to Fayd-Rautha and their child would be the Kwisatch Haderach -- Paul being the messiah, just one generation too soon, is a neat plot point and it's also foreshadowing for Leto II.[/spoiler]

That bit still exists. In the first film the Reverend Mother tells Jessica that if she’d had a daughter as asked, that daughter could have been wed to the Harkonnen heir, but Jessica thought she could bring the Kwisatch Haderach around early. In the second film we meet that heir and the Reverend Mother tells Irulan that Jessica’s rebellious act didn’t destroy their plans for the Kwisatch Haderach because they have other prospects.

You have to put the pieces together yourself a bit, but that plot is still there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the ecological themes have been completely excised from both movies.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I know I’m not saying anything that anyone else hasn’t said, but the Geidi Prime stuff looks So. drat. Good.

I forget: Is it ever mentioned that Chani is Kynes’ daughter in the first movie? Because it makes a lot of remarks about Paul being an offworlder deeply ironic, since she’s only 3/4 fremen in the books.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Rewatched part 1 yesterday, watched 2 today. I had a good time, but for me, part 1 was more enjoyable. I guess I enjoyed the worldbuilding in 1 (really enjoyed the Geidi Prime parts in this, where you see more of the scale of the universe), and it didn't seem there was much added here. Visuals and audio both stellar, but parts of the plot pulled me out of it. The Paul/Chani stuff was a bit too YA, and there was a bit too much magical fast travel and conveniences toward the end. All three Harkonnen deaths felt a bit too lame as well. Was the baron even aware who his killer was? Caveat: not a book reader.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

exmarx posted:

it's important to distinguish between the 'real' stuff (superpowers produced by training, drugs, and generations of eugenics) and the politics (kwisatz haderach project, lisan al-gaib prophesy, etc.).

The entire point of the story is that it is not

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Rewatched part 1 yesterday, watched 2 today. I had a good time, but for me, part 1 was more enjoyable. I guess I enjoyed the worldbuilding in 1 (really enjoyed the Geidi Prime parts in this, where you see more of the scale of the universe), and it didn't seem there was much added here. Visuals and audio both stellar, but parts of the plot pulled me out of it. The Paul/Chani stuff was a bit too YA, and there was a bit too much magical fast travel and conveniences toward the end. All three Harkonnen deaths felt a bit too lame as well. Was the baron even aware who his killer was? Caveat: not a book reader.

There’s a look of realization in the barons eyes when paul addresses him as grandfather. He’s likely aware of the connection since he addresses Leto as cousin in Part 1

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Ghosthotel posted:

Spoiler about the baron: There’s a look of realization in the barons eyes when paul addresses him as grandfather. He’s likely aware of the connection since he addresses Leto as cousin in Part 1

Ah right, yeah, makes sense -- thanks.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

How many times did you laugh during it? The girl next to me giggled at nearly every scene and it ruined a lot of the drama.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Grey posted:

How many times did you laugh during it? The girl next to me giggled at nearly every scene and it ruined a lot of the drama.
Once? I think Raban or Fayd got a joke but I don’t remember which.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Ok can we just admit part 2 was a disappointment? Let’s let the movie make some serious money and have a chance for round 3 but let’s face it, it’s not perfect, so compared to part 1 it’s kinda a failure

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CapnAndy posted:

And on more or less that topic, what was with the change to how Paul threatens to destroy the spice? "Nuking the spice fields" is a nonsensical threat, that's not how any of this works, Paul, the spice is all over the loving planet and there'd still be worms making more so unless you are threatening to nuke your own planet into a cinder, which I don't think you're doing, all I can do is repeat... what was that? In fact, we haven't gotten any of the spice life cycle yet, and this is stuff we're hugely going to need to know. With the information that movie audiences have right now, there's no reason why spice production would cease on Arrakis when it's terraformed, so long as "the spice fields" were left as deserts. It's a very weird choice.

Gurney makes a point of saying there are enough nukes to destroy the entire planet. It wasn't just about nuking the fields, it actually was about turning Arrakis into a cinder.

killaer posted:

Ok can we just admit part 2 was a disappointment? Let’s let the movie make some serious money and have a chance for round 3 but let’s face it, it’s not perfect, so compared to part 1 it’s kinda a failure

I don't think this is the case at all. It's a different feel than the first one, for sure, and sure there's stuff I wish they had kept in but in no way is it a disappointment for me. It loving owned hard and was incredible experience. I think the reason the pacing actually was good, was because of all of the things that were cut out. The pacing was one of the strengths! But that was the compromise, it came at the expense of things like Thufir and the mentats, Alia, the navigators, the added intrigue with the houses and guild, etc.

The pacing absolutely was not bad. The downside was all of the things cut in order to keep the film moving -- but it's hard for me not to agree with the decisions given how good the outcome was.

It's 10/10 as a movie. It's maybe like, 8/10 purely as a Dune adaptation. This was a deliberate choice.

Really after thinking more on it, the place where I felt let down was the soundtrack. Dune Part 1 had some pretty amazing and distinctive tracks. Dune Part 2 feels like stock Hans Zimmer that could have been from any movie, interwoven with some of the themes from Part 1 here and there, but nothing like the standouts from Part 1. I miss Johann Jóhannsson.

ephori fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 3, 2024

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
And I’m just saying that because every critical review came into this wanking and cumming literal globs. Hell I had sky high expectations (AND this film was hella delayed because of the strike), so I might be kinda jaded. I kinda expected a 10/10. And in hindsight there are actually a lot of problems with pacing and making the thing come together cohesively. It feels like less than the sum of its parts. The first movie was like a surprisingly pleasant wet and warm rimjob and this one just feels a little more dry, you can’t help but notice the chafing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
As a non book reader the Baron is Jessica's father reveal came completely out of nowhere for me and was just kinda weird.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

As a non book reader the Baron is Jessica's father reveal came completely out of nowhere for me and was just kinda weird.

I guess she got her looks from her mother's side, lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Carpet posted:

Thinking again about that jump cut from Paul saying he is no Messiah, to Stilgar exclaiming to his buddies that that is exactly what the Messiah would say, further proving his divinity

This got a big laugh in my theater

Film owned but I thought a lot of the changes were odd, though reasonable. rip murder baby

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

mcmagic posted:

Yeah same.

Jessica being the baron's daughter really didn't do anything for me in the movie.

Don't know how it works in the books, but it just felt flat for me.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
All great sci-fi and fantasy has a lineage twist. Star Wars. Dune. Wizards First Rule~~~

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

It’s delivered like that in the books too. Paul just gets a big spice dose, unlocks some genetic memory, and goes “huh, how about that”. The only difference is that Jessica doesn’t know, and reacts by rather futilely hoping she’s the daughter of some distant cousin or something before Paul goes “nope, Baron himself”.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

The Paul/Chani stuff was a bit too YA

yeah this felt like a weak part to me too. every time it shifted to romance between them i couldn't help but hear "can you feel the love tonight" in my head.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I also really want to know how much Anya Taylor Joy was paid for being in 6 seconds of this movie.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 3, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

killaer posted:

No, because it owned

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

killaer posted:

And I’m just saying that because every critical review came into this wanking and cumming literal globs. Hell I had sky high expectations (AND this film was hella delayed because of the strike), so I might be kinda jaded. I kinda expected a 10/10. And in hindsight there are actually a lot of problems with pacing and making the thing come together cohesively. It feels like less than the sum of its parts. The first movie was like a surprisingly pleasant wet and warm rimjob and this one just feels a little more dry, you can’t help but notice the chafing

Wtf is this post

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Great movie, Dune is still largely unfilmable as a book.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I also really want to know how much Anya Taylor Joy was paid for being in 6 seconds of this movie.

I've got two complaints about this film, and this is part of one of them -- there's an awful lot of set up in this film for a future stories. Which works if there are future stories, but doesn't work if this film doesn't have any follow up. And that's no sure thing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There will very likely be a Dune Messiah given how much money the first two movies have made, but thankfully all the books afterwards are so galaxy-brained there will never be a dune cinematic universe unless it's anime

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI_uwsn_crw

Denis got nothin on this. want to see Anya crawling around on the floor saying she'll drink your blood

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Saw it in IMAX today, loving phenomenal experience.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

but doesn't work if this film doesn't have any follow up. And that's no sure thing.

the reviews are all better than the first movie and it's estimated to make, like $20 mil more than the first movie's opening weekend. i think if they all wanna do a third one it's a pretty safe bet at this point.

BUT i kind of agree that while part one was mostly really good, it's last ~hour hinged a little too much on their being a second movie, and this one does the same although in my opinion uses poor pacing to kind of hedge its bets against there being a third one, so it could kind of wrap up in the sequel if it needed to.

idk i'm not one of those guys who worships the lotr trilogy, i think they're fine but i haven't been able to sit through any of them in a single viewing in years. i think all of those movies do the same thing, really. like if there are three movies, it's best to carve out a saturday or sunday and just watch all of them instead of ever just popping one on and considering it a complete experience.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There is something about the world building and art direction and just general vibes of everything in D1 that was just really loving baller the first time you see it and impossible to replicate.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think this movie could shave about 15 minutes out of the middle and put 15 minutes on the end and it would help a lot. To be fair to the movie crew, Dune the novel also suffers from pacing problems and an abrupt ending. I do think however we could cut some YA romance for Tim Blake Nelson and some exposition in the fourth act about why the Emperor is forced into such a gross error and why Paul thinks he has a shot at taking over the Imperium.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just got home from seeing it. Giedi Prime stuff was amazing. I read the books a long time ago, and like the 1984 adaptation, so I will agree that Alia not being around was disappointing .

Overall I enjoyed it immensely. Looked great, sounded great.