Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Is there a recommended deck for doing Green/Black/Blue/Orange difficulties to unlock the rest of the decks? I did Red Stakes on Checkered but figured I'd see if there's some pro-pick before I bang my head against these for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Is there a recommended deck for doing Green/Black/Blue/Orange difficulties to unlock the rest of the decks? I did Red Stakes on Checkered but figured I'd see if there's some pro-pick before I bang my head against these for hours.

I went straight through gold with the yellow deck. The initial cash boost really helps, especially to offset small blinds not giving you any monetary rewards anymore. The most important thing was finding sources of continual scaling - wee joker, trousers, bull, bootstraps, ride the bus, etc. Anything that you can keep adding value to throughout the game will go a long way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

Checkered is probably your best bet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just did checkered for the first time on white stakes and it's the only deck I won on my first try lol

I didn't even have particularly good jokers

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Nemo2342 posted:

I worked through Blue deck to get all the others unlocked, I would take the advice to go Checkered lol the early game is very important and going Flushes is very strong for getting a good start

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Lol, just had my best run yet. Only in red stakes, but...

Canio : Gains x1 mult when a face card is destroyed.
Pareidolia: all cards are face cards
Trading card: destroy first discard if single card
Brainstorm: copy the first Joker :lol:

I was running a Dimond Flush Deck and by the end Canio was at x25 and I had no non Dimond cards left and my deck size was like 23 cards. Also had the tribe and other xMulti to go with it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Trousers own because they hit off full house too

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Nemo2342 posted:

I still haven't cleared Checkers at all

Abandoned deck is really good and reliable.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

A small pro tip:

Most people know that you can order by rank or suit, but did you know the following?

- When you order by suit, the cards are always in a fixed order: Spades, Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds. In case you forget that order, this is the order that the suits are stacked in when you hover over or click on View Deck.
- When you order by suit, cards within the same suit are also ordered by rank (Ace being considered high in this case)
Example: If you have a diamond flush of A, K, J, 9, 5, they will always be ordered A:d:K:d:J:d:9:d:5:d: when ordered by suit

- When you order by rank, cards within the same rank are also ordered by the suit order listed above.
Example: If you have four 10s of all different suits, they will always be ordered 10:s:10:h:10:c:10:d: when ordered by rank

This can help you get even more info when your cards are face down.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

This can help you get even more info when your cards are face down.
Goddammit I was just assuming that the location of face down cards was random

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

really hoping they make the black deck less completely loving miserable to play

it shines late game but the early game is so fuckin rough compared to every other deck it's absurd

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
lol the jump from ante 11 to 12 is unreal

I had a flush deck going with every black card removed from the deck and the “hearts = diamonds” joker, a +170 coins joker, a +70 multiplier, a x3 multiplier, and two x9 multipliers (blueprint + vampire).

Despite playing three high value flushes in a row, still couldn’t get to 300,000,000

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Finally beat orange stakes on painted deck :toot: It feels like orange is a much bigger wall for painted than it is for most decks (and it's already a pretty big wall period)--orange stakes means you either need some econ jokers (while still having enough oomph to clear the boosted blinds from previous antes) or have a joker combo that's so OP that you can forego opening booster packs for most of the run, both of which get vastly harder when you have 4 slots instead of 5. Probably no surprise that I finally broke through with a Madness run.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Finally beat orange stakes on painted deck :toot: It feels like orange is a much bigger wall for painted than it is for most decks (and it's already a pretty big wall period)--orange stakes means you either need some econ jokers (while still having enough oomph to clear the boosted blinds from previous antes) or have a joker combo that's so OP that you can forego opening booster packs for most of the run, both of which get vastly harder when you have 4 slots instead of 5. Probably no surprise that I finally broke through with a Madness run.

What was your plan for powering up Red Card? That's a joker I especially avoid taking on orange/gold stakes since boosters are so much harder to come by without tanking your econ.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

What was your plan for powering up Red Card? That's a joker I especially avoid taking on orange/gold stakes since boosters are so much harder to come by without tanking your econ.

1. Buy mega packs whenever possible, you get to pick one card and still skip and they're much cheaper than buying two regular packs
2. Take mega pack skips on small blinds since the blind reward is small, also take free shop skips (non-eternal jokers can just get sold)
3. Take tarot packs whenever possible and pick up hermits when available, otherwise skip

Madness meant that I wasn't really spending money on jokers, and didn't particularly need planets or tarots, so I could just dump most of my money into boosters. +3 multiplier to all hands is better than a lot of booster pulls anyhow.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 3, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

When I use the spectre card Aura to put polychrome or whatever on a card can it stack with the other mods like Mult, Glass, Steel, ect. cards?

Also what happens if you play five Stone cards? Is it just high card 0?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

War Wizard posted:

When I use the spectre card Aura to put polychrome or whatever on a card can it stack with the other mods like Mult, Glass, Steel, ect. cards?

Also what happens if you play five Stone cards? Is it just high card 0?

Yes, the shiny editions stack with tarot enhancements and seals (but not with other shiny effects.)

Five stone cards is just a high card, but it still scores all five.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

1. Buy mega packs whenever possible, you get to pick one card and still skip and they're much cheaper than buying two regular packs
2. Take mega pack skips on small blinds since the blind reward is small, also take free shop skips (non-eternal jokers can just get sold)
3. Take tarot packs whenever possible and pick up hermits when available, otherwise skip

Madness meant that I wasn't really spending money on jokers, and didn't particularly need planets or tarots, so I could just dump most of my money into boosters. +3 multiplier to all hands is better than a lot of booster pulls anyhow.

...huh. it never occurred to me that mega packs let you take one then skip and still have it count

that makes it quite a bit more viable than I gave it credit for

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Am I imagining it or did I read there was a patch that either adjusted or fixed the wheel of fortune success rate? I know switch version has yet to get the latest updates just want to know if something is coming eventually or that it's working as intended.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's kind of amazing how not fun this game gets when you get to the top couple stakes and Gold Stake is definitely the king in that respect.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I finally came up with a really strong deck for endless!

I got another duplicate right after this pic so that's 6 cards with steel and red stamp which also get retriggered by the negative Mime. At the same time all of my J's (many of them glass) get retriggered too which means a lot of base mult before the steel kicks in (and very high chip value from the +chips joker). If I can get more glass/steel and hand size and a good multiplier joker to replace my +chips joker, then we'll really be in business!

Anyway I just started endless let's see what's ne--

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
^^lmao

Also, egg on my face if Wheel of Fortune is actually bugged but I had a run where it proced 3 times in a row once, I think people are generally bad at dealing with true randomness.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Finally get to add my name to the Gold Stakes clear list!

The unsung hero of this run, that sadly did not make it to the end, was a mid-game DNA which popped up and just let me keep cloning Queens of Hearts over and over again. It's funny - I was expecting that I was going to have to pull out all the stops with seals, multipliers, and polychrome cards to get a Gold Stakes win. But all it really takes is a good (read: lucky) set of jokers, and on Violet Vessel too!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 3, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Whoops, quote is not edit, uh....

Did you know that according to Steam, more people have beaten Gold Stakes than completed the Collection or played a Flush with five Wild Cards?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 3, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It took me a while to realize you could shuffle the cards in your hand when applying tarot cards and I thought Death was basically useless.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol Polychrome To-Do List starting on.....a Straight Flush.

Game is really shovin' it up my tail pipe tonight.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Five stone cards is just a high card, but it still scores all five.

I answered my own question here, my next game was Stone cards, barely kept up pace all game but made it past ante 8. All base chips, very little Mult.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Burglar applies after the needle play only 1 hand boss starts, so you can play more hands

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

MJeff posted:

lol Polychrome To-Do List starting on.....a Straight Flush.

Game is really shovin' it up my tail pipe tonight.

I think to do list should rarely require a 5 flush or flush house, just to gently caress with people.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I will give the higher stakes credit for one thing, they make me think about combos I wouldn't have otherwise bothered with.

On top at this moment is Green Joker + Burglar. I'm currently spending seven hands throwing out garbage just to scale Green Joker as much as possible.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

I will give the higher stakes credit for one thing, they make me think about combos I wouldn't have otherwise bothered with.

On top at this moment is Green Joker + Burglar. I'm currently spending seven hands throwing out garbage just to scale Green Joker as much as possible.

I did this earlier and it's great how well it works. You can just treat plays as discards and number will always go up. It also really screws over The Water (start with 0 discards).

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Also I just need to say, gently caress The Arm. Absolute monster if you need to play more than one hand.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Got my first gold win with double Polychrome Stuntman. Hand size 3

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Arm has no effect on me because the planet I need never shows up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

Well, I got this to Ante 7, died to the Wall and now I'm trapped in Ante 1 purgatory again. I'm firmly back in "this game chose to ruin itself with orange and gold stake and I don't understand why" territory.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Sock and Buskin + Pareidolia + Smiley Face is pretty fun but ultimately it takes up a lot of slots and needs you to get a lot of glass.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Doltos posted:

The Arm has no effect on me because the planet I need never shows up

My hands are LVL 1 what are you gonna do?!

-15 x -2
<LVL 0>

Oh.. poo poo. :(

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

War Wizard posted:

My hands are LVL 1 what are you gonna do?!

-15 x -2
<LVL 0>

Oh.. poo poo. :(

FYI The Arm was patched on the PC version, so I assume it’s coming to other platforms too.

quote:

Made the Arm less bad (Cannot downgrade poker hand below level 1)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Got an early Throwback and rode it straight to Speedrunner on the first try. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Smeared Joker to make all my black cards the same suit, which meant Arrowhead gave +50 chips on every black card.
Green Joker scaled up to +56 mult.
The Duo for X2 on any hands with a pair.
Constellation scaled up to 3.2X

Level 6 Pair, Level 5 Two Pair, Level 6 Flush were the main stars, obviously.

I did have to close the game once when a hand wasn't enough and then play the fight differently, but there was no loving way I was gonna let this run slip through my fingers on Ante 7 again.

I really don't know how you're supposed to beat Gold Stake without getting Green Joker or something very similar basically immediately. Now that I can say I've done it, I don't think I'm ever going above Black Stake ever again.